As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New to PAX? Read this first and ask questions here

• Options
    steve-o99steve-o99 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, I'm new to PAX, but this thread isn't really helping much.
    See, I live in Seattle, which in this situation seems to be teh lame, because if i just drive to the con and drive home, I'm gonna miss everything but the con itself. So my question is if your not traveling in a group (or at all) how to make sure you don't miss out on parties, movie raids, and just the generally fun stuff. As it seems to me, PAX isn't so much about the con as it is everything else

Edit: If it helps me seem less lame to would be party-inviters, I'll be rockin' as Travis Touchdown

steve-o99 on
    Max sig size 500x80px <3 Moe
    modernguilt-tag-330x150.jpg
    The_Scarab wrote:
    seriously im worried. these are truly the end of days. duke nukem forever is coming out, and the best nintendo ds game on the horizon is a sonic the hedgehog rpg by bioware.
    Brawl: 4983-4625-3928
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Well, let me start of by saying that PAX itself is hells of fun, but we do tend to find other ways to maximize the experience. If you really don't want to miss out, you could take a cab downtown and back home. This way you can partake in the late-night drinking (and also not have to pay for parking) along with the other community-based events. Or, if you felt like incurring the expense, you could get a room downtown.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ShineyBlueShoesShineyBlueShoes Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Qs23 wrote: »
    ashridah wrote: »
    I think it would be far more appropriate to have GLaDOS doing the announcements.

Screw that... If Ellen McLain shows up, I would rather have her do some opera then asking me if I would like the menus in Spanish.

Wow... that would be so different but probably entirely amazing. Especially if Coulton was performing too at some point and joined her for a rendition of Still Alive to end it. Man that would be incredible provided everyone else was willing to put up with some classy stuff. :) Honestly think she would be absolutely blown away by the reception she'd get from us too. Sure she's heard from a ton of us how much we love her now but doubt she'll have done a concert or anything for exclusively nerds who love her in Half-Life stuff.
    jonxp wrote: »
    Nintendo likes PA (and vice versa) right? I bet they would* work with them to rig something up. A massive DS download station where people can get a "PAX Guidebook".

Well if Nintendo was smart wouldn't you think they'd rig up a massive download station that would cover the entire convention center for anytime they were at one of these shows? What better way to get games you might not have room to display or that you really want displayed and have all the focus be on you anytime someone's standing in a line or has some downtime. Sure they'd keep their best stuff just at the booth so you have to come by there but otherwise it's only going to get more attention for your products. Even if it's not all demos, throw videos and stuff of Wii games or new hardware/accessories on there too!

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    steve-o99 wrote: »
    See, I live in Seattle, which in this situation seems to be teh lame, because if i just drive to the con and drive home, I'm gonna miss everything but the con itself. So my question is if your not traveling in a group (or at all) how to make sure you don't miss out on parties, movie raids, and just the generally fun stuff. As it seems to me, PAX isn't so much about the con as it is everything else

Edit: If it helps me seem less lame to would be party-inviters, I'll be rockin' as Travis Touchdown

I'll probably be doing a fair bit of bussing and taxiing, since I would also like to go to some of these parties.

Or perhaps I'll stay in the city anyway. Extravagant, but it'll be safer than using my car and having swag, and it'll let me drink.

ashridah on
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Some friends from out of town got a hotel room last year, and are again this year. Makes it easier, as taking the bus back to Redmond would suck drunk, and late at night :p

But yeah, if you want to party, driving is not a good option. Unless you have the money to pay for the parking, then I suppose it would work.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Qs23 wrote: »
    Ellen McLain

Two words:

Keynote speech?

:lol:

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Not absolutely sure if this question belongs here. But I don't have a DS (been wanting to get one for a long time, using PAX to justify it...long story)

Would you suggest I get it before the show? Or at the show?

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Before, you're going to want it for the lines and any pre-PAX things you might attend.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ditto what Moe said. You're going to want it LONG before you actually get to PAX.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    waffleboi9waffleboi9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    steve-o99 wrote: »

Hey man, don't sweat it. If you want a party buddy, I will gladly offer my services. You better not be lame though (I can't imagine a lame Travis Touchdown).

waffleboi9 on
  • Options
    DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I kinda doubt that it'll be hard to find people to party with. Just walk up to any random group and say "need another drinking buddy?"

Who the fuck would say no? Unless you smell or look funny or something. Then we don't want you. So try to look normal.

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Just offer to buy me some beer and I'll be your friend.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Offer only? He doesn't have to actually do it?

ashridah on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Just ordered my badge, but I am confused about one thing.

I will be moving before they mail out the badges. Do I let Brown Paper know of my addy change (once I know what my new one is) or let someone at PA know directly?

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm possibly traveling from Australia to attend my first PAX. Can you explain to me (so I can relay it to my parents) the basic accomodation and transport procedures that I'll need to know about, particularily when it comes to organizing/sharing a hotel room?

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Offer only? He doesn't have to actually do it?

Whoops, apparently I've already been drinking when that happens.

ShineyBlueShoes on
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    YaYa wrote: »
    I'm possibly traveling from Australia to attend my first PAX. Can you explain to me (so I can relay it to my parents) the basic accomodation and transport procedures that I'll need to know about, particularily when it comes to organizing/sharing a hotel room?

I can explain some of the transportation at least. First of all, the airport you are flying to is SeaTac Airport, code SEA. It's best to arrange to arrive on Thursday morning or afternoon, so you have time to settle into your hotel and relax from the long freakin' plane ride. From there the cheapest way to get to downtown Seattle (aside from standard public transit bus) is the Downtown Airporter bus. That'll take you right to most of the hotels, and you can also take it back to the airport afterwards. You can book in advance if you'd like, but you don't need to, they run all day, every day; they have a desk at the airport, and your hotel can set them up as well.

Once you've gotten setup in your hotel, you need no longer worry about transportation. Everything is within walking distance - restaurants, grocery stores, Pike Place Market, two shopping malls, etc. The Washington State Convention Center is right in the middle of all the official hotels (where you get a price break for PAX if you set it up in advance), and even some unofficial ones. And Seattle busses are free in downtown, so if you wanted to range a little further, like down to Pioneer Square or the International District, you can hop on one of those (the hotel can help you with bus schedules).

For accomodation, best I can do is refer you to the "PAX Hotel Room-Share Thread" and the Hotels section of the PAX website. The way hotels work here, is when you book a room, the hotel makes sure your credit card has enough money on it to handle the stay, but doesn't actually charge it until you check out on the last day. That's when they'll run up any extra charges like room service or stuff and charge the whole thing.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    Amber FechkoAmber Fechko Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    JonnyNero wrote: »
    Just ordered my badge, but I am confused about one thing.

I will be moving before they mail out the badges. Do I let Brown Paper know of my addy change (once I know what my new one is) or let someone at PA know directly?

You would contact Brown Paper Tickets directly for address changes:

E-Mail: support@brownpapertickets.com
    Phone: 1-800-838-3006

If you have any problems, shoot me an e-mail: amberf@penny-arcade.com.

Amber Fechko on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, I was thinking I'd try to get a booking in at the Sheraton or the Hyatt. Do either of these hotels have free parking? (Seems kinda weird that they wouldn't provide that, even though we're getting a good deal)

Wezoin on
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No, parking pretty much anywhere downtown is going to be expensive.

b0wser on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Parking Rates: (Subject to change, based on the best information I could find)

* Hyatt
    * Valet
    * 33/night
    * In/out privileges
    * Self Parking
    * 26/night
    * NO in/out privileges

* Roosevelt
    * Valet
    * 22/night
    * In/out privileges

* Sheraton
    * Unknown - Somewhere between 27 and 70/night (E-Mail in progress to find out)

Info about the speculation on Sheraton's parking price:

Ouch, the Sheraton's apparently a bunch of bastards. They didn't list their parking price anywhere on the website that I could find, but I found this review that gives some insight into their parking prices:
    Location is tops. It's close to shopping and food choices. Nice hotel, friendly staff, though it was no nicer than the 3-star Renaissance nearby. Please avoid this hotel if you're driving, unless you like paying exorbitant parking rates. Parking is valet-only at $35 per night in addition to another $35 per night for the actual parking. So you're paying $70 per night parking, which is exorbitant even if you're wealthy.
    (From http://seattle.citysearch.com/review/10766535)

If he's right, they're double-charging for parking so you'll be paying more than double the other hotels to park. I don't know if it's true though, it's the closest I've been able to find on their parking rates. 35$ alone is pretty bad, but 70$ would be horrible. I'm still looking to see if the guy's full of it... I wish the Sheraton would post these rates on their site.

A review site says the Sheraton is only:
    Valet parking $26; self-parking $24

So now I'm just confused. I may call the Sheraton to get it from the horses' mouth. (I just E-Mailed them, I'll post whatever they tell me is their rate)

EDIT: Cleaned up the random stuff I posted trying to get the information in the post. I'll update one last time with the Sheraton information when I can get it from them.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How do the concerts work? I understand that there is limited space to get in, are tickets handed out when the doors open to PAX, or first come first serve at the concert door?

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How do the concerts work? I understand that there is limited space to get in, are tickets handed out when the doors open to PAX, or first come first serve at the concert door?

Last year there were no issues at all, AFAIK. They were held in the main ballroom and, from what I saw, there was a mass of people around the stage and people on their DS's in the back.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bracelets are distributed by Enforcers, and having one will make sure you get in first, but I don't recall hearing the theaters filling up to the point where they had to turn people away. If you don't get one, you should still be able to get in, you just won't be able to get in super early.

Also, if you BYOC, you're given a bracelet.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    But when are the bracelets distributed? That's my actual question. My flight is coming in extremely close to the start of festivities, and my wife is basically coming just for the music. Want to make sure we get in. :D

jonxp on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    But when are the bracelets distributed? That's my actual question. My flight is coming in extremely close to the start of festivities, and my wife is basically coming just for the music. Want to make sure we get in. :D

The majority of them are handed out at PAX opening.

Also if you are going to go in BYOC you get a bracelet as well.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is knowledge that I too couldn't find...last year. So now I will spread the knowledge of my experience, so that all may benefit :) Last year, while everybody was waiting in line on the first day (Friday) to get into PAX (already having their passes), Enforcers started moving through the line starting at the front, offering concert wristbands to all who wanted them (so if they only have 1000 bands and you are person 1001 in line, you'd still get one, as a lot of people didn't want to go to the concert). That night at the concert, there was *tons* of extra space, so they didn't check for wrist bands at all once it was apparent there weren't going to be overcrowding issues.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how it worked the second day - I assume it was similar, but I didn't go that night. Note, the Saturday night concerts are generally the more popular bands. And of course there's no guarantee about the extra space, especially with a lot more people expected to come to PAX this year.

Edit:
    Doh, BigRed beat me by two minutes! Ah, but I remembered something else. Last year, there were supposedly more times during the day when concert bracelets could be obtained - random times.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thanks a lot guys!

jonxp on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Okay, I got the "from the horses' mouth" info about Sheraton parking rates. I'm gonna make a thread about parking costs... if anyone finds out about nearby non-hotel parking, post it over there too so we can have a decisive reference. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is my first year. I'm going to be by myself at PAX and the wife is going to do Seattle.

Do people go by their online handle at PAX?

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Sometimes, though it helps if it's something pronounceable/close to an actual name. I'll switch back and forth between people's names and handles depending on how long one or the other is and how drunk I am.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to be wearing a baseball cap with Qs23 written on it...

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That's why my handle is derivative of my actual name

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey so I've only gone for one day of a PAX (sunday, last year) and I loved it and I already have tickets for all three days of this year's, but what I was thinking of doing, since I'm from over in Bellevue, WA, is make a really nice-looking TF2 engineer costume (with wrench) in honor of Bellevue's own Valve Software. However while I was at PAX I only saw one guy dressed up (that guy who went as Edgeworth and had the "Objection" sign). How receptive is PAX generally to video-game costumes? Will I be laughed at or respected?
    Thank you.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey so I've only gone for one day of a PAX (sunday, last year) and I loved it and I already have tickets for all three days of this year's, but what I was thinking of doing, since I'm from over in Bellevue, WA, is make a really nice-looking TF2 engineer costume (with wrench) in honor of Bellevue's own Valve Software. However while I was at PAX I only saw one guy dressed up (that guy who went as Edgeworth and had the "Objection" sign). How receptive is PAX generally to video-game costumes? Will I be laughed at or respected?
    Thank you.

On the first two days, there was a ton of cosplay, everybody was probably just ready to blend in by the third day. But yeah, you'll definitely be well received in TF2 costume. I thought about going as a spy or a sniper myself, actually, but I don't really have time to put something like that together and I'm sure there's going to be at least one full group of 9 people, if not 2 full teams that fight each other all through the convention.

You should totally draw a sentry gun on a piece of cardboard and try to set it up in prime locations. :lol:

Edit: You definitely won't be more ridiculous(ly awesome!) than this guy: manpeach082507.jpg

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Wow. That man is hardcore. I usually play Peach in games like Mario Kart because she has the best balance between speed and manuverability in my opinion... but I don't think I'd have the cahones required to cosplay her.

I salute you, male cosplayer of Peach... wherever you are.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thank you.

I think good cosplay is always appreciated. Just ignore the people who don't like cosplay regardless of quality.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    IIRC, dude lost a bet.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    IIRC, dude lost a bet.

Ohhh... well, I was impressed anyways. The dude's got balls of steel in my book. =)

The thought of cosplay both horrifies and intrigues me. I guess I've technically done it before, having jumped into the world's largest bowl of pasta dressed as Mario... maybe I'll reprise the role for PAX. If my wife doesn't divorce me as a result. ;) (kidding! Kidding. ;) )

VThornheart on
  • Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Excellent, keep a look out for the BLU engineer this year :P

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
This discussion has been closed.