As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX North 2: Montreal, July 13-16 - it happened!

CelloCello Registered User regular
edited July 2023 in Social Entropy++
The pandemic seems to have (knocks on wood) hopefully slowed enough to finally make some long term travel plans, and so @SimBen, @Psykoma and I want to finally make good on the PAX North sequel we wanted to do for so long! While we originally intended to rotate these around, folks, it has been a few years, and there's certainly plenty more to see in Montreal.

The current plan is for the 13th through 16th of July weekend. More to come on details like suggested hotel bookings closer to the date (when I am hopefully less hungover than today and can actually do research), but we wanted to give enough notice for folks to update passports or make summer holiday plans if necessary.

Watch this space for more details soon!!

Steam
3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
Cello on

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Come and have a lovely time with people who apologize entirely too much

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    What the fuck is a forum

sig.gif
  • Options
    Speaking of which, we could go to the Forum, where the Habs used to play, which now has a Cineplex and had a pretty nice barcade last time I went a whole decade ago, I should look up if it still exists

sig.gif
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Come and have a lovely time with people who apologize entirely too much

This is Quebec. Apologies have been replaced by cursing in French and/or smoking cigarettes.

• Options
    Also if you say we're racist, the government will unanimously vote on a resolution that they are rubber and you are glue, OKAY

sig.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Canada? Never heard of it

• Options
    We could also go check out that new Stargate we have and see where in the Vancouver woods it can take us

0nze5z4c1uvt.png

(listen to Jaffa Takes, it's a pretty cool podcast I dunno)

sig.gif
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I am all the way down to do this

• Options
    I'll add a confirmed attendees list after but this post took the last of my hangover energy and now I must lie in bed playing BotW for the next several hours

Steam
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I'm in. I am literally living in Montreal right now!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Montreal is only two great lakes away from me but plane tickets and passport is many much dollars

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Ahh, damn. I really want to go but this is literally the only weekend I have travel plans for all summer. They can't be moved either, too many other people involved :(

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oh man, I might actually be able to do this one

• Options
    Welp, it’s looking like the Forum’s sports bar and games centre closed at the start of the pandemic and never reopened. So much for that.

However, we should this time go to the good Randolph, the one on Beaubien that has a lot more space.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Hmm, my passport expired last month and I was already eyeing, but am not financially invested in, going to Evo in August.

So I dunno.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    This is...very tempting. I already have travel plans/budget committed for August but depending on a few work things I might be able to swing it. Will not be able to commit for a while though, sadly.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Surely nothing can go wrong with me going to this just a few days after returning from another trip.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    You certainly will not regret going on a second trip immediately

sig.gif
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    For anyone, like me, who needs to renew/obtain their passport current processing time not including shipping is 10-13 weeks which is the real danger zone of not getting your passport in time. You can of course pay for expedited processing.

• Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    For anyone, like me, who needs to renew/obtain their passport current processing time not including shipping is 10-13 weeks which is the real danger zone of not getting your passport in time. You can of course pay for expedited processing.

This was why I figured starting the thread this early was probably wise - lotta folks gotta prepare!!

We'll try to get some more details shortly on places to stay and vague ideas of what we could do, etc

Steam
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    It's looking like this might be possible for me after all. Not a sure thing, but like a 60% chance of working out right now?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Man I really wanna make this but I just looked up flights and it's like $500 minimum, and another $100 if I don't wanna do an overnight flight. Will keep trying to put together a budget but yeowch

(I know that's really not that bad when it comes to flights but still)

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Man I really wanna make this but I just looked up flights and it's like $500 minimum, and another $100 if I don't wanna do an overnight flight. Will keep trying to put together a budget but yeowch

(I know that's really not that bad when it comes to flights but still)

Not sure if direct to Ottawa is cheaper for you, but a few folks may be coming here first, so in the off chance it is to come on the Wednesday or whatnot, there you go!

(It's a short bus or train to Montreal, about 2 hours or less)

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    are you able to touch that ring cause I wanna touch that ring

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    I don’t believe you can touch the ring, will have to investigate. However, worried about kawoosh safety in case an incoming wormhole should connect.

sig.gif
  • Options
    You know what - I'm committing to this. Fuck it, it's been too long since I've hung out with a bunch of nerds, I've paid way more for way dumber reasons. Time to have some fucking poutine.

• Options
    You know what - I'm committing to this. Fuck it, it's been too long since I've hung out with a bunch of nerds, I've paid way more for way dumber reasons. Time to have some fucking poutine.

yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Going to post in the next week or so about recommended hotel accommodations, stay tuned!

Steam
  • Options
    I was just gonna ask about that. Would it make sense to try and do an airbnb type thing? Or is hotel the way to go? Definitely gonna try and be thrifty, but having a space to myself is pretty key at this point in my life.

• Options
    I was just gonna ask about that. Would it make sense to try and do an airbnb type thing? Or is hotel the way to go? Definitely gonna try and be thrifty, but having a space to myself is pretty key at this point in my life.

Having recently been in an AirBnB that nearly burned down (savin' that story for an appropriate thread) with my last AirBnB stay before that being at South where our landlady tried to take me to AirBnB Court for $400 because there were spoons in her freezer (my friend was using them to try to chill her undereye bags out)

I uh, I'm done with AirBnB

We stayed at a fun real Auberge last time, I'm gonna check their costs/availability once I have a minute

Steam
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Us staying at a hotel that served us croissants in the morning? Amazing.

I see no value in trading that away so that 8 people can compete for who gets to use the bathroom next.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Fair enough! I knew the airbnb scene was pretty dire these days, don't think I've stayed at one outside of Japan in...5 years at least? Maybe longer.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    AirBnB has it's uses, but I can never shake the feeling that I'm in someone else's house, even if I know it's owned by some conglomerate. Hotels, though? Who fucking cares let's get crunk.

• Options
    I liked that place, but as a pampered Texan I would also appreciate a place with better AC.

• Options
    When/where do we start brainstorming activities for the Northern PAXage? I was looking at the poutine thread and was considering "One different poutine shop per day" as something we could do.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Reynolds brought this to my attention in the Animenagerie discord server. The first section, about one of the hosts' experience with combat archery, is pertinent to us as a potential CanPAX activity: Castle Super Beast 216.

EDIT: Ah, just got to the part about bruises. I have therefore removed the link to a google search for "Combat Archery Montreal".

Elaro on
  • Options
    Axe/knife throwing was fun last time (plus they still spam my inbox 5 years later so they’re definitely still around) so a repeat could be fun!

Karaoke seems like a must if we’re gonna have a PAX

Already mentioned The Good Randolph which is also my devious plan to get y’all out of downtown and check out the places where people live/speak French (bwahaha, by which I mean, hon hon hon)

Escape room? There’s a spot I’ve been (with Cello and PsyKoma who can vouch) that’s nice enough but has production values maybe a little on the cheap side, if we want we could look into The Good Stuff

I’d also be interested this time in like, tagging along with some stuff outsiders wanna do as opposed to just being like “I dunno I just live here I guess bars? Beer?” like the cruise/boat ride thing (???) you did at Jean-Drapeau seemed neat last time and I couldn’t tag along

I’m gonna go ahead and not suggest La Ronde because having been recently it’s a little bit on a down trend and has those really obnoxious spend money traps I assume every other Six Flags has.

The Old Port is livelier now than it has been in the past and has ziplining and a bunch of like, boardwalk-type attractions and food trucks and such, plus we can go throw the bird at the rich people’s yachts at the marina, always a fun time. There’s also a ferris wheel and lile, a beach near the clock tower now even though you can’t bathe there, because it’s still the St. Lawrence we’re talking about

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Also okay if we do the 4 poutines in 4 days we have to do it right

Day 1: La Belle Province
    Day 2: Chez Claudette
    Day 3: Poutineville
    Day 4: La Banquise

Progress from basic to exquisite y’know

There’s a really mean version of this where we start with McDonald’s and progress from there, and a really stupidly expensive option where we do those three up there and then stick Le Pied de Cochon at the end (we’re talking 40 dollar foie gras poutine there to be clear)

EDIT: oh yeah obviously Chez Claudette was the step 2 I was missing there

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    There’s also a dumb “drive a car out of town to Victoriaville and go to one of the places that claims to have invented it” option

sig.gif
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I am naturally happy to once again lead my 10 mile walk around the grassy country-side like last time.

Where will we end up? What might we see? Who knows!?!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Was that in Ottawa? There is no countryside within 10 miles of this city

Well

There are parks

There’s a mountain

sig.gif