As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy]: the octagon is triangled

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The only magic that's worth anything I think is probably Temenos's second EX skill with the triple hit buff up. It can be pretty useful for breaking (elemental barrage on scholar absolutely ruins some enemies, and ruins anything with Temenos's latent active)

Because yeah, physical annihilation is a hundred times easier to set up.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    The only magic that's worth anything I think is probably Temenos's second EX skill with the triple hit buff up. It can be pretty useful for breaking (elemental barrage on scholar absolutely ruins some enemies, and ruins anything with Temenos's latent active)

Agnea's Ex Wind is super useful but more for initiative control than for breaking. Likewise being able to negate a big hit with Throne's can be huge.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

Agnea's Ex Wind is super useful but more for initiative control than for breaking. Likewise being able to negate a big hit with Throne's can be huge.

Yeah, I should be clear - I mean useful for damage specifically. There's a number of offensive spells with nice additional effects tacked on.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I kinda like the merchant divine skill(which is based on elemental attack) mainly because you get money at a 1:1 rate so it's hilariously busted just casually converting any given enemy into 20k+ gold

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I kinda like the merchant divine skill(which is based on elemental attack) mainly because you get money at a 1:1 rate so it's hilariously busted just casually converting any given enemy into 20k+ gold

I tried using this tonight and did 239 damage at full charge so apparently I'm too stupid for this one.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I tried using this tonight and did 239 damage at full charge so apparently I'm too stupid for this one.

It's still a magic attack. What was his second class?

• Options

It's magic so it's going to be based on elemental attack. I use it as Osvald's casual nuke on broken targets rather than wasting time setting up Advanced Magic buffs. Make sure whoever you're using it with has something appropriate equipped.

• Options
    Oooooh.. yeah I have Oswald being an Arcanist because he looks good with a bone head.

• Options
    Oooooh.. yeah I have Oswald being an Arcanist because he looks good with a bone head.

Partitio the Arcanist can do some dumb things with Seal of Diffusion...

• Options

Partitio the Arcanist can do some dumb things with Seal of Diffusion...

Good idea! I put it on Hikari briefly and had a fun time giving everyone Vengeful Blade.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Finally got back to it this weekend, and done with all but Temenos, Osvald, and Hikari. These 'final' bosses are pretty binary between some exceedingly minor full party debuff that you can just ignore, or will just outright remove people from battle, whether by some goofy status effect or some cocktail of nonsense that's an auto-KO. The latter keeps them from instantly dying before they get a second turn. The former... does not.

I really just can't fucking take Throne's story seriously at all.
    Pirro: We must kill each other! Why? No fucking reason! It must be done! To spite the people who would make us kill each other! Have at you!
    Throne: I just want to be free, so I'll spend the next few years traveling all over the world with a bunch of randos. This isn't freedom.
    Slaver: I am the slaver! I slave and smell death at every corner. Do you dare death with me on the precipace of death? Oh no! Death!
    Mother: I killed your mom! Your philosophical mom who was the former leader and died wanting you to be happy! Much tragedy!
    Father: I fucked your mom! And then your mom killed our baby and fucked some other dude! Please call me dad!
    Claude: I'm immortal and fucked your mom! She was a crazy cultist bearing my baby but here, have a sad flashback about how much she loved her children (aside from your sister she murderered)! This whole thing is some crazy-ass cult I set up to kill me! By fucking EVERYBODY'S MOMS! From this abandoned castle in the middle of nowhere!

Oh no. Not my primary jobs. ...Anyway. Got nuked almost instantly. Not even sure he had any gimmicks past that. Also, can we circle back to the collars for a second? They have two keyholes, but apparently require only one key, and everybody wears them. So, what? Claude commissioned a few hundred of them to hand out? He has a keyring of a few hundred keys for each individual collar? Nobody has ever bothered to just loot the corpse of someone with a collar to figure out how the locks work? You're thieves, damn it.

I then kicked her out of the party because she was massively overleveled and went straight to I think the first multi-target boss in the game, which spams high power singular physical attacks. Because of course. Oh, and her second Ex is also completely mistranslated. Huzzah.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Finally got back to it this weekend, and done with all but Temenos, Osvald, and Hikari. These 'final' bosses are pretty binary between some exceedingly minor full party debuff that you can just ignore, or will just outright remove people from battle, whether by some goofy status effect or some cocktail of nonsense that's an auto-KO. The latter keeps them from instantly dying before they get a second turn. The former... does not.

I really just can't fucking take Throne's story seriously at all.
    Pirro: We must kill each other! Why? No fucking reason! It must be done! To spite the people who would make us kill each other! Have at you!
    Throne: I just want to be free, so I'll spend the next few years traveling all over the world with a bunch of randos. This isn't freedom.
    Slaver: I am the slaver! I slave and smell death at every corner. Do you dare death with me on the precipace of death? Oh no! Death!
    Mother: I killed your mom! Your philosophical mom who was the former leader and died wanting you to be happy! Much tragedy!
    Father: I fucked your mom! And then your mom killed our baby and fucked some other dude! Please call me dad!
    Claude: I'm immortal and fucked your mom! She was a crazy cultist bearing my baby but here, have a sad flashback about how much she loved her children (aside from your sister she murderered)! This whole thing is some crazy-ass cult I set up to kill me! By fucking EVERYBODY'S MOMS! From this abandoned castle in the middle of nowhere!

Oh no. Not my primary jobs. ...Anyway. Got nuked almost instantly. Not even sure he had any gimmicks past that. Also, can we circle back to the collars for a second? They have two keyholes, but apparently require only one key, and everybody wears them. So, what? Claude commissioned a few hundred of them to hand out? He has a keyring of a few hundred keys for each individual collar? Nobody has ever bothered to just loot the corpse of someone with a collar to figure out how the locks work? You're thieves, damn it.

I then kicked her out of the party because she was massively overleveled and went straight to I think the first multi-target boss in the game, which spams high power singular physical attacks. Because of course. Oh, and her second Ex is also completely mistranslated. Huzzah.
    At the end of it all I'm also wondering what the point of the collar even is. I guess for Throne specifically at least it's meant to be symbolic, but.. like, I would have thought it would also be something more literal like a poison spike that kills its wearer if they disobey/betray the family or something? But it apparently wasn't even that.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    One of the side-skits or whatever they're called says that the collars are full of poison, so cutting them would kill them, but... uh. That still doesn't seem like an unsolvable problem with some flavor of needle or syringe to just leak it out. Also, you have someone in the party who has experimented with and is immune to almost every poison in the world. Feel like she might have some ideas on how to deal with it! But yeah, no idea why they weren't an actual threat or needed to be magically whatevered every so often to keep the peons in line.
    For most of it, it seemed like they were building up to the collar being a bluff. "You could've taken it off whenever you wanted. The real collar was your fear of being happy/change/leaving the only family you know/etc!" But... nope. Just weird mom fucking cult. Your mom was such a caring lady in a similar life to you... except for that year she took off to murder her babies. Pick a lane.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    That's a seemingly important detail locked behind a missable moment. I never even got that cutscene in my game, or I never noticed the opportunity since it's easy to overlook the prompts.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N8AkqXKEi8&t=98s

All banter is added to the journal after each chapter, whether you had the people in the party or not.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Does triangle strategy erm..pick up in pace? I'm only about 3 hours in and loving the battles but it seems like for every minute in battle I spend 10 minutes either waiting through horribly boring dialogue or wandering around clicking everyone in exploration mode

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Kind of. Triangle Strategy spends a whole lot of time explaining the world and all the major players in it, and then spends more time putting all the pieces in place before the plot finally gets to actually kick off.

So to me it felt like the game eventually started picking up in pace, but that just might be because things eventually actually happen, which is a lot more interesting than preparing for when things finally start happening.

• Options
    If your question is "will there ever be more than one story battle per chapter," the answer is "not until the very end". Otherwise, what Wotan just said applies.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Bummer. It's a shame as I *really* like the battles but the story just isn't grabbing me.and if it's always going to be giantly in favor of cutscenes vs battles time ratio wise I think it's just not for me. It's almost more like a visual novel or movie than a game

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    I just beat Throné's story and her second EX skill is both translated incorrectly and incredibly broken. I love it.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    About Throne's collar:
    I completely missed the Travel Banter where they talk about it having a poisoning device, which was one of my two assumptions.

My other assumption is that it has its binding power more through social control than any physical mechanism. Consider this: every fully-initiated Blacksnake wears one, and they all know each other. If a Blacksnake goes and gets their collar cut off, the other Blacksnakes will notice. And I imagine they don't take kindly to someone leaving their organization without the approval of leadership. So if you get your collar off without using the keys the way you're supposed to, you're basically facing a continuous stream of assassins out for your blood, forever. Far easier to just keep the damn thing on and do as you're told... or escape from it the expected way.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    About Throne's collar:
    I completely missed the Travel Banter where they talk about it having a poisoning device, which was one of my two assumptions.

My other assumption is that it has its binding power more through social control than any physical mechanism. Consider this: every fully-initiated Blacksnake wears one, and they all know each other. If a Blacksnake goes and gets their collar cut off, the other Blacksnakes will notice. And I imagine they don't take kindly to someone leaving their organization without the approval of leadership. So if you get your collar off without using the keys the way you're supposed to, you're basically facing a continuous stream of assassins out for your blood, forever. Far easier to just keep the damn thing on and do as you're told... or escape from it the expected way.
    On the other hand I'd buy "you're not a true thief until you get good enough to remove the lock with your own abilities" as a thematic plot point, too. But the direction this story went that clearly wasn't going to be an option.

• Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    About Throne's collar:

But it's also incredibly silly to have a 'secret' organization of assassins use something like that which makes them readily and easily identifiable to literally everybody else. Especially when there are rival groups wanting to destroy them... but not so much so that they'd reveal the way to easily identify them to everybody else? They just make zero sense.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    All right. That's all the 'main' stories done. Pretty disappointing final bosses in all of them. The game really loves its cackling mad nonsensical lunatics, doesn't it? Got to imagine all the secret puppet masters almost all of them had will be revealed now, since every epilogue seems to have some kind of mandatory announcement that threads introduced back in the first chapter still are unresolved. Kind of funny that the last three I left were all:
    I have unlocked the ultimate power! Slightly darker dark magic!
    Oh no. Whatever will I do. Oh wait, the power of friendship. The true ultimate power.

Also, just like the first of these 'end' bosses I started with (Throne's), Mugen was a fucking joke who died before he got a second turn, so I'm not even really sure what his gimmick was. I guess I'll count the spellblade tower boss as the actual one. Agnea's of all fucking characters ended up being the hardest because she took two turns in a row, stealing one character and putting a second into doom-sleep for 3 turns, so needed to be cleansed, leaving me with only one actual character in a turn to her and her thrall getting three+ in a row, one of which was more doom-sleep.

Nothing's been a challenge if I actually go balls out from the start though and just don't let them build any momentum, and I -THINK- I've cleared most, if not all, of the random optional bosses available? At least killed the level 60 squid, wolf, and spellblade lady living in Hikari's attic. Probably at least one other thing SOMEWHERE, but the tracking of where you've been and what hasn't been fully cleared out in this game is absolute garbage butts. Like, how much of a QoL improvement would it be to just put how many unopened chests are left in an area, along with whether the boss of it has been killed? The radar that exists is close to worthless except for pointing you to where you need to go to continue cutscenes that have been arbitrarily broken up.

Have to rant about
    Temenos's entire thing. Like, it was already on shaky ground from the start with its very silly detective stuff that made no sense "He broke the window from the inside, then went outside to pick up the glass and bring it back inside." Might I suggest... just breaking the glass from the outside while you're out there and skipping a step, my man? Or not even caring at all like you proceeded to do for the next few kills?

But then we get to the evil cult stuff with a serial killer running around supposedly killing them according to their scripture, except it's not that at all. It's because a crazy lady who was part of the main religion was killed by an evil cult, so she declared revenge... on her own religion and joined the evil cult because fuck my family for being so pathetic. Uh, okay. And then paid the dude to kill these people just to piss off the gods, who she doesn't believe exists, but wimped out after... what? Three of eight? And only upon being discovered did she decide "Welp, time to finally get around to summoning our dark god," which the beastpeople 'guarding' the altar for were happy to show her the way to it. And the entire holy team went along with without question, some even knowing she had murdered friends in cold blood, waiting until they were in the middle of an evil temple in the middle of nowhere before bringing it up. Like, what the fuck is everybody even doing here? What are any of you idiots thinking?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    The individual stories do wrap up a bit meh.
    Throné's is fine I guess, her real dad is a shithead cult leader who's spreading his seed to try and find someone powerful enough to kill him. Dumb, but I've seen worse plots.
    Hikari was fine, fighting the demon inside himself to become the friendship demon instead.
    Agnea was kinda silly since it was a dance off that was just in game as a fight. Kind of a funny way to show it really.
    Temenos.. yeah, a bit strange. It feels like they lost the plot a bit, but then again, Kaldena "joining the evil cult" only looks that way from the outside. An evil cult is only evil to those who aren't dragged in to it. I'm assuming the post game stuff will help that a bit.
    Partitio was pretty wild. Why's he gotta try and be the only good capitalist in the world? Fuck off, dude! But also I love him so whatever.
    Osvald, yeah again, the power of friendship. But I was happy his daughter was alive at least, and that was a remarkably mature ending.
    The two that I really thought stuck the landing were Ochette and Castti. Castti saved the city, made her cure, and stopped the bad guy, partly thanks to the kindness she showed in earlier chapters. I really appreciated the long game there. And Ochette.. I cried a bit there. The way she clearly cared for the animal she didn't choose, how upset she was putting it out of its misery.. that still stings.

I've done almost all of the dungeons now, just have the Infernal Castle to do which is where I saved. Then the duo quests.

• Options
    Most I'd say were banal but largely fine. What I'd expect from JRPG writing, if a bit too much power of friendship. It's the being shoved into 15 minutes of cutscenes, broken up by being forced to walk 5 seconds, or worse, use path actions to continue them, that got my goat. Pure padding and a weak attempt to find a problem for the mechanic they created. Again, replace path actions with dungeon traversal stuff that actually organically fits into the game and I am so on board with that. It'd help the dungeons be way less frustrating too. Please come up with something better than a critical path with branches for one chest. All it does is resort in blind 50/50s and backtracking. Having to rub against every person in town, multiple times, for both day and night, because 3% of them have some key item... with no way to track completion or progress... ugh.

Castii...
    Every 'twist' was obvious to me from a mile away, and especially the early flashback of Trosseau cackling like a lunatic in the middle of poison rain while she goes "But what does it MEAN!?" Give me a break, lady.

But she got a large pass because her passive is broken as shit, and her English voice lines always made me chuckle, so opposite of Partitio/Temenos, it was always nice when she was in the party. "YOU ARE A PLAGUE THAT MUST BE CLEANSED." Lady, it's some poor bat in a cave, miles from civilization. That you are smacking with a battle-axe while throwing poisonous goo everywhere.
    Castii first quest: "We must stop these toxic monsters from infecting the town."
    Castii ten minutes later: "WITH THESE HANDS! --mixes together four horribly toxic things and pours them on a crab--

The single leading cause of infection in the area is you.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Also I loved the full charge changes in the final fight of each path. Especially Osvald.
    Level 4 charge "HARVEY!!!" was dope as fuck!

• Options
    Just rolled credits. Very tropey ending but not unexpected. I really enjoyed my play time.

But take it from me.. when you get to the final fight, you'll know it. Don't put all your best characters in a party together. It won't be fun!

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Just rolled credits. Very tropey ending but not unexpected. I really enjoyed my play time.

But take it from me.. when you get to the final fight, you'll know it. Don't put all your best characters in a party together. It won't be fun!

Definitely want to make sure all 8 are geared up and ready for action.

Roughly how screwed would I be attempting the bonus boss without power leveling my currently roughly level 60 party? My heavy hitters made quick work of the final boss but it did some good damage back. Definitely have some squishy travellers.

I usually try to get as much of the extra content done before credits roll as I can because I generally want to move on after the story wraps up. But if I've a chance I'll give it a shot, I just don't fancy grinding just so I can say I beat it.

Road Block on
  • Options
    Road Block wrote: »

Roughly how screwed would I be attempting the bonus boss without power leveling my currently roughly level 60 party? My heavy hitters made quick work of the final boss but it did some good damage back. Definitely have some squishy travellers.
    Once again deciding if I care enough to actually kill
    Galdera.

I tried for like solid hour yesterday and gave up. Danger Level 45 my ass; entire team was 60-61 and kept getting obliterated. I figured out what needed to be done but obviously haven't munchkined enough to actually accomplish it.

Give it a shot, but be prepared to abandon ship.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Finished RE4make so I can finally get back to this for a bit. Clearing out some low-level quests before tackling Throné Chapter 2: Mother. The recommended level is low so I'm bringing my most recently recruited and lowest-leveled character (Agnea) so she can get some experience points out of it,

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I also just beat RE4 Remake and am getting back into this. But I'm further back, because I basically barely got started before I got distracted by PSVR2, Hogwarts, and the D4 beta.

There are too many good games.

• Options
    Road Block wrote: »

Once again deciding if I care enough to actually kill
    Galdera.

I tried for like solid hour yesterday and gave up. Danger Level 45 my ass; entire team was 60-61 and kept getting obliterated. I figured out what needed to be done but obviously haven't munchkined enough to actually accomplish it.

Give it a shot, but be prepared to abandon ship.

There is a way to cheese the fight that involves setting up your parties a certain way with select job skills and I think it hinges on getting a monster for Ochette. But when I read that I pretty much just abandoned the idea of doing the fight altogether. I don't mind missing out on something like that when it's not story related.

The late game dungeons are almost all worth doing though. Especially the Infernal Castle.
    The item from there breaks Osvald.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Well no wonder the recommended level on Throné Chapter 2: Mother was so low, there's no combat! After I did some grinding and finished the Winterlands bandit camp sidequest. Kicked my ass for a bit, I've got to start paying more attention to buffs and debuffs, not to mention my SP gauge. Starting Temenos Chapter 2 next.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Well no wonder the recommended level on Throné Chapter 2: Mother was so low, there's no combat! After I did some grinding and finished the Winterlands bandit camp sidequest. Kicked my ass for a bit, I've got to start paying more attention to buffs and debuffs, not to mention my SP gauge. Starting Temenos Chapter 2 next.

Buffs and debuffs are INSANE in Octopath games.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Karma is an incredible boss fight, 12/10

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »

It's completely hard countered by
    The warrior counter skill, which if you haven't tried it, does a frankly stupid amount of damage just in general and is one of the best filler skills.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

The warrior counter skill, which if you haven't tried it, does a frankly stupid amount of damage just in general and is one of the best filler skills.

It's soft countered by it, but that still doesn't do enough hits on its own, especially the Unbreakable Stance. Plus, the encounter is kinda designed around having it due to Perfect Stance. Just an excellent fight where even breaking it feels like you're doing what the devs asked you to do

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited April 2023

It's soft countered by it, but that still doesn't do enough hits on its own, especially the Unbreakable Stance. Plus, the encounter is kinda designed around having it due to Perfect Stance. Just an excellent fight where even breaking it feels like you're doing what the devs asked you to do

Perfect Stance only has one shield, so it's not too hard to break through it, a lot of stuff can deal with that one (including an item or two). I'm not sure if it's possible to break the one after it in time.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Apparently it's also weak to daggers in all forms, which since I was running Throne as a largely self-sufficient Warrior, explains why I rolled over it like a speedbump.

ztrEPtD.gif