As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Queer] thread: A Gay ‘Ol Time

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Possibly dumb question: does it matter where the patches are applied?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Arm belly or butt seem to be suggested just dont put it on your chest

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I wish I could go on hormones. Supposedly they make the perimenopause symptoms easier. But week my family history of breast cancer, every Dr I've ever talked to has panic face about me getting any extra estrogen at all.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    This is a good study from the University of Exeter here in the UK:

Print this out and turn it into a bunch of paper planes to throw at TERF's and GC's. Evidence, in their faces.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I just put them on my upper arm/shoulder (back when I was on them, I'm on sublingual now).

• Options
    edited May 2023

We're fiendish, we are. Fiendish! /s

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Print this out and turn it into a bunch of paper planes to throw at TERF's and GC's. Evidence, in their faces.

The problem is they don't care. Reducing psychological distress in trans people is not a win condition in their minds.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Also they'll just use that to push their "trans is a mental disability" narrative.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    The problem is they don't care. Reducing psychological distress in trans people is not a win condition in their minds.
    I know. :( We, as a community, need some wins though. It gets too bleak otherwise.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Hmm so youre saying we should punch them?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

Yeah they’re all about the opposite tbh

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Hmm so youre saying we should punch them?

I cannot legally advise you to punch people. Of course I'm not a lawyer so I also can't legally advise you not to punch people.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I would never, on a publicly indexed forum, say that you should definitely beat the shit out of transphobes.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure we have the constitutional right to pubch Nazis in the face though. Not that I am saying I would, or anyone should. Just that constitutionally it is legal. Because fuck Nazis.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    I would never, on a publicly indexed forum, say that you should definitely beat the shit out of transphobes.

In Minecraft…

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Hi everyone, this is my first post in this thread and I am seeking wisdom.

If this is stupid just tell me so and I'll quickly leave.

Every year, in July, I buy myself a new pair of work shoes. One, for comfort when the new residents show up and two, because shoes in a hospital don't last. At least not in my specialty.

I've worn converse all stars my entire career and for the last three years my daughter has picked the color. We went navy, bright Ronald McDonald red, and then last year was this neon purple.

We were looking at the website today and she fell in love with these Rainbow colored ones as part of Pride.

https://www.converse.com/shop/p/custom-chuck-taylor-all-star-pride-by-you-unisex-low-top-shoe/165809CSU23.html?dwvar_165809CSU23_color=stripe multi&styleNo=165809C&cgid=custom-pride-shoes

So I have several questions.

1. What's the significance of the 'Unity Print'? You can see it listed on the Heel Stripe option.
    2. What is the significance of the various color schemes on the 'Tongue Label Logo' There's one for Pride, Unity, Trans, Bi, Pan, Lesbian, and Non Binary. Do you think it suggest that's the group the wearer supports?
    3. There are options with different color hearts on the 'Toe Cap' listed as Trans, Bi, Pan, Lesbian, Non Binary.

As an added wrinkle to all of this, I'm color blind.

Anyway, I ask for the specifics because I want to make sure I'm supporting all groups and it feels weird that some of the sections specifically call out particular groups? Or is this just a marketing thing?

Also, I provide anesthesia for a lot of patients in these groups and I want to absolutely make sure I'm not inadvertently offending anyone by selecting the wrong symbols and end up in a stolen valor situation. Just a straight cis dude wanting to make sure I don't unknowingly insult anyone.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    1: It adds more general pride colours to the existing Trans colours.
    2: They are the pride flag colours for specific subsets of queer people.
    3: Same as above.

If you specify subset colours for 2 or 3, the general assumption would likely be that you identify as such. The 'Unity' and 'Pride' colourways are basically the general 'coverall' pride designs that don't necessarily denote a specific identity, though really if you're wearing pride merch like this people may assume that you're queer in some way. Personally I don't feel that it's a bad thing for allies to wear general pride colourway gear (as long as you're comfortable with people making assumptions) but I'd suggest avoiding the specific identity parts as that would likely assert an actual queer identity to most people. My doctor wears a general pride flag pin to work, he's not queer but it's indicating that he's super on board with doing doctor related things with queer people, and that can be comforting.

In short, go with either 'Pride' or 'Unity' (of the two I like the Unity better) but avoid the rest.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I haven't heard of the unity flag thing before, but I have seen the color usage before. It is an attempt to make sure to include communities that have a history of being forgotten by the movement. Those seem to be designed to include the people of color and trans people more broadly.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »
    1: It adds more general pride colours to the existing Trans colours.
    2: They are the pride flag colours for specific subsets of queer people.
    3: Same as above.

If you specify subset colours for 2 or 3, the general assumption would likely be that you identify as such. The 'Unity' and 'Pride' colourways are basically the general 'coverall' pride designs that don't necessarily denote a specific identity, though really if you're wearing pride merch like this people may assume that you're queer in some way. Personally I don't feel that it's a bad thing for allies to wear general pride colourway gear (as long as you're comfortable with people making assumptions) but I'd suggest avoiding the specific identity parts as that would likely assert an actual queer identity to most people. My doctor wears a general pride flag pin to work, he's not queer but it's indicating that he's super on board with doing doctor related things with queer people, and that can be comforting.

In short, go with either 'Pride' or 'Unity' (of the two I like the Unity better) but avoid the rest.

Thank you so, so much for the explanation. I could not care any less if someone assumed my identity, but I very much care about showing solidarity with my community and patients.

Ha! These shoes are going to rule.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I wish I could fit my feet into a set of converse because those look amazing.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    those converse are crazy cool but chucks play hell on my feet

• Options
    Hark and pay heed. I rip out the footbed that comes with the converse and replace with the same inserts I've used for ten years. Just buy 0.5 sizes up.

Alternatively I'm going to try these this time.

https://feelyoursoul.com/products/insoles-for-converse?variant=21685772779620

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what are the inserts you've traditionally used?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    For a little while there they sold Converses with amazing insoles. They called them Chuck II’s. They’re discontinued now, but I snagged a couple of pairs and still have one in decent shape.

Alternately, yeah, rip out the included on and toss in your own. Makes a huge difference.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I wish I could wear closed toe shoes.

Those look really neat.

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-65714821

She really does not know when to take a hint and fuck off. It's always the same people. :(

And apparently Rishi Sunak is supporting her 'right' to be platformed, according to Sky News. :(

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i also bought the gay shoes

• Options
    I love that even the rubberised soles are multi-colour. I'm just not a fan of converse. They tend to fall apart on me very quickly.

• Options
    what are the inserts you've traditionally used?

I went to a sporting goods store, I think it was Champ Sports and grabbed a bunch of different inserts and ended up with a Dr Scholl's brand.

That's what I recommend you do. Just mix and match until you find what you like. Usually that means you buy one size up.

Or try those footsouls I linked above, I'm gonna give those a shot this time.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Shame the designs seem to be locked-down to black or white now. My mint green ones turn heads still, even if they've gotten faded.

HEOTLue.jpg

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    goddamn now those are shit-hot

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Aint Afraid like damn

• Options
    wow they also have some high top chunk heels covered in glitter with rainbow bottoms for $140

only a single 1 star review "NEVER BUYING CONVERSE AGAIN" claims Richard H.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    wow they also have some high top chunk heels covered in glitter with rainbow bottoms for $140

only a single 1 star review "NEVER BUYING CONVERSE AGAIN" claims Richard H.

Oh weird. I wonder why.

Probably just too narrow for him.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I bet his last name is Head tee hee

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Quoting myself because it's more on-topic here-
    Tomorrow will be day 30 of microdosing estrogen. It's been great. Gotta do some more follow up bloodwork soon and have another visit with the prescriber, also gonna use this referral for speech training, because randomly dropping into like Kurt Russel territory is contradictory to my entire aesthetic. Also being agender, I found a comic panel that feels like a good representation of the whole "you have two X in you" thing

mtby2nbwbqcg.jpg

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Because Nazis are forbidden from Pride, that means no Klink at Pride.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    So Hasbro is doing pride merch, because its the most performative thing they can do (Actually money is going to the Trevor Project, so not quite the most), and you got your standard power rangers, dungeons and dragons and Tranformers shirts that all look fine.. GI Joe on the other hand..

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0169/6995/7440/products/HBGC0069-10001005-BLACK-S_1500x.jpg

What the fuck, Hasbro?

Undead Scottsman on