Options

Pirates of the [Chat]

• Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Church wrote: »
    I hated the gunblade thing in FF8. I wouldn't have hated it if there was something similar for all characters. But as it is it reinforces the "Main character is godly by some completely arbritrary designation" that I just really fucking hate.
    Seifer had a gunblade.

...Yeah, and he was a playable character for all of twenty minutes. And when he was controlled by the computer he could barely use the damn thing. He was a complete pushover.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Truthbot, what is the saddest elephant?

20080219lf7.gif

Gim on
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gooey wrote: »
    JPants wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Gooey and Dyna are making me want to get their crappy game.

Is there a demo out?

Nope.

That game is wicked hard for me to wrap my brain around (though to be fair i've only played it for like 2 hours).

Gooey, Dyna: Any suggestions for helping me to get a grip on the game? Scenarios or some such?

Basic mechanics are covered in the tutorial, but to learn the game play versus an easy computer on one of the small maps.

Yeah, i was trying that on a small scenario called Quick Strike, but after 2 hours of getting attacked within like 15 minutes i realized that perhaps a map called QUICK STRIKE was a poor choice for learning environment. Then my friend arrived in town for the weekend and he just left this morning so I haven't had a chance to try again much.

JPants on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    I always thought washington was a coke state, as in you wanted something and we all called it coke. Whatever.

Yeah I hate my inlaws, and it was a call my wife to be was on, so I didn't get to scream at her mother for wanting to place her name over ours, and have it be all about them.

Its ok we'll say we'll do it without them now, but her mother will bitch and we'll be right back to square one. That's how evil her mother is. When I moved my fiancee out to be with me, her mother staged a dinner with their local pastor to convice us how wrong we were.

What the fucking hell?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I always thought washington was a coke state, as in you wanted something and we all called it coke. Whatever.

Yeah I hate my inlaws, and it was a call my wife to be was on, so I didn't get to scream at her mother for wanting to place her name over ours, and have it be all about them.

Its ok we'll say we'll do it without them now, but her mother will bitch and we'll be right back to square one. That's how evil her mother is. When I moved my fiancee out to be with me, her mother staged a dinner with their local pastor to convice us how wrong we were.

Haha awesome

Sounds like something my girlfriend's mother would do.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Texas is a "coke" state.
    That's because it's part of The South, and people in The South are retarded.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So Ok Go is a pretty awesome band

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Is there a demo out?

Nope.

That game is wicked hard for me to wrap my brain around (though to be fair i've only played it for like 2 hours).

Gooey, Dyna: Any suggestions for helping me to get a grip on the game? Scenarios or some such?

Basic mechanics are covered in the tutorial, but to learn the game play versus an easy computer on one of the small maps.

Yeah, i was trying that on a small scenario called Quick Strike, but after 2 hours of getting attacked within like 15 minutes i realized that perhaps a map called QUICK STRIKE was a poor choice for learning environment. Then my friend arrived in town for the weekend and he just left this morning so I haven't had a chance to try again much.

If you need time to figure out what to do with just moving around and colonizing, I'd say get on a small map, no pirates, with an easy AI set to "fortifier". After that, try doing some of the small maps. I actually found 1v1v1 fixed teams easier to handle, myself.

You actually improve fairly quickly once you figure out the mechanics.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Church wrote: »
    The Eurogamer review said that the way they relieved tedium was by having something happen after almost any given fight. Since leveling a skill takes only a few fights, at least one character is going to have some sort of "+" to something every time you finish beating up a monster.

I don't think that'd be quite enough to stop the generic fights from being boring, but it sounds like a reasonable way of making them less onerous.

Then either the pluses are superfluous and do nothing but make me feel like a whore, the pluses are meaningful and the fights get very easy and thus boringer, or the pluses are meaningful and the enemies level up with you accordingly thus making them, in fact, superfluous, OR the enemies level up with you but in a badly scripted way so the fights get harder.

I'm still on disc 1, but I've not noticed anything like that, really. You seem to gain a level every twenty fights or so and you can skill-up maybe every 7. I guess once you get a larger party, maybe things happen more often. In any case, it's so far not a tweaky logistical nightmare.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Texas is a "coke" state.

Does it count if you weren't born in the South but live there and not by choice?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Texas is a "coke" state.

wut Iz u sayign tHanatos. U IZ de reetardd oen?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wow. My girlfriend's mom loves me. She sends me nice presents on holidays and was super excited that her daughter wasn't a lesbian.

Quid on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Guitar Hero: Aerosmith

are you fucking kidding me

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2008

Is there a demo out?

Nope.

Are you talking about Sins? It's a pretty great game. I've been trying not to play it too much because it's too easy to lose track of time, plus Frankie likes to watch me play games and that's not really possible on the PC.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »

I heard about that on the radio. I laughed.

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Wow. My girlfriend's mom loves me. She sends me nice presents on holidays and was super excited that her daughter wasn't a lesbian.

How sad.

Gim on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm preparing notes for a presentation I'm making. I'm up to page 9 of 19, and I'm bored out of my mind. This is going to be painful to finish.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Is there a demo out?

Nope.

If you need time to figure out what to do with just moving around and colonizing, I'd say get on a small map, no pirates, with an easy AI set to "fortifier". After that, try doing some of the small maps. I actually found 1v1v1 fixed teams easier to handle, myself.

Yeah, I finally had the "Spread your multiple labs out over multiple star systems to save logistical space" thing click into place.

Also, yes, Pirates. They're money hungry bastards.

JPants on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Woah. Wouldn't it be "I heard about that from the radio"? Or is that pedantic?

• Options
    edited February 2008

Is there a demo out?

Nope.

Also, don't underestimate planet defenses.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Their music videos are like something Phillip Glass would produce.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Man I have lost all regard for that franchise since Harmonix left it. Still, it's selling like fucking hotcakes, so I guess I can continue to be disappointed in what capitalism does to art.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »

What the fucking hell?

Yeah they invited us to a dinner to discuss our relationship and how it hurt them we moved her out without their permission. They said they would bring a "neutral" person so anger wouldn't flow, the neutral person was their pastor who presided to chastise me and say I was acting like a child, at the age of 24...

I took such pleasure in hearing that that pastors husband just got kicked out of his church for infidelity.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Pirates aren't too much trouble later on. If you've got your planets armed to the gills the pirates don't stand much of a chance. In the later parts of our game last night dyna and I quit paying off the pirates all together and I just used the money to make more cruisers to kill pirates with.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No, it's "on the radio". Same way you watch a show "on TV", not "from TV". Or you hear about an event "on the news", not "from the news".

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Moving in with your GF at the age of 24 is "acting like a child"?

The more you know!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    No, it's "on the radio". Same way you watch a show "on TV", not "from TV". Or you hear about an event "on the news", not "from the news".
    Ah. I heard about that from the sound emitting device.

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Their music videos are like something Phillip Glass would produce.
    I love it!

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »
    So Lost Odyssey is pretty good. It's a fairly standard JRPG as far as the mechanics go - turn-based combat, weapon upgrades, a fancy skill-up and ring-making system (kind of like the materia system). It has the same sort of Final Fantasy-like setting with the kind of interesting twist that their swords-and-magic world is undergoing a "magic-industrial revolution" so there are some I guess steampunk motifs. The graphics are fine, though the graphical splendor of the cutscenes aren't quite up to the high-bar set by Square. There don't seem to be three-minute summon graphics. The big thing for me is that they've managed to develop some emotional impact and decent storytelling into it, which I guess was the central goal of the chief designer (some famous dude from the Final Fantasy team).

I mean the central theme to the game is almost cliched, which is that your main character has lived a thousand years and can't remember anything from it outside of his name. His memories start coming back as you go along in the game, mostly in the form of either cut-scenes or sad little vignettes. I'm pretty impressed with the depth with which they explored what it means to have lived over many lifetimes.

So really I don't know if this sort of game is anyone else's thing, but I'm finding myself uncharacteristically impressed with it.

So... worth a gamefly?

I'd say so. It's probably an incredibly long game, though. It comes with four (4!) discs. I'm still on the first one.

What system again? (yes i could look it up but chat is already open)

I dunno, Irond. Playing this game on the heels of Eternal Sonata have left me jaded with this generation's JRPG offerings.

The fact that you aren't scoffing leads me to think you haven't gotten into the tear jerkfest that's around 3/4s in of disc one.

The skill system is endlessly fun to obsess over though. I spend forty minutes last night debating what the best system would be. I guess the game gets kudos for forcing me to think strategically.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Pirates aren't too much trouble later on. If you've got your planets armed to the gills the pirates don't stand much of a chance. In the later parts of our game last night dyna and I quit paying off the pirates all together and I just used the money to make more cruisers to kill pirates with.

The pirates are great experience providers for your capital ships!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Okay, so "I watched that show on TV(the medium)" Wow, I am pedantic sometimes.

• Options
    edited February 2008

this is the worst idea anyone has ever offered to sell me for $60

the cover should be Activision on a motorbike jumping over a shark with Steven Tyler's lips

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Hmmmm, i'm looking forward to playing the game more and getting into it.

JPants on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    PIP PIP

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    When I moved my fiancee out to be with me, her mother staged a dinner with their local pastor to convice us how wrong we were.

And you later went on to call yourself Preacher. Hmm...

Gim on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

this is the worst idea anyone has ever offered to sell me for $60

the cover should be Activision on a motorbike jumping over a shark with Steven Tyler's lips
    60$ olol.

• Options
    edited February 2008
    Must...buy...audiosurf.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »

The pirates are great experience providers for your capital ships!

True. Once you have an upgraded level 4 or 5 cap ship it can pretty much handle pirates on its own.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    putting the dollar sign on the wrong side of the price is for cretins and Rush fans

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Not Sarastro would be a lot more effective if he wasn't such a cock all the time.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.