As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pirates of the [Chat]

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    if I read more Brecht I'd just realize I'm biting my nails due to the class warfare in early industrial age society

also am I the only person who damn near giggles everytime he hears the word dongle?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sammamish?

Why the hell is Sammamish suddenly one of the best places in the country to live?

Divulge.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2008
    Its OK Will, we all make mistakes.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Sammamish?

Why the hell is Sammamish suddenly one of the best places in the country to live?

Divulge.

Because it is awesome to pronounce.

Samamamamamamamish

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    if I read more Brecht I'd just realize I'm biting my nails due to the class warfare in early industrial age society

also am I the only person who damn near giggles everytime he hears the word dongle?

I lol'd

Medopine on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gim wrote: »
    Haphazard wrote: »
    whats that oh wise Haps

Don't bite off you nails... or read more Brecht?

Another good solution is to watch more Wim Wenders movies. Bruno Ganz is good for the cuticles.

When you say Wenders, I think of Herzog, then of Rescue Dawn and then I get angry!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Sammamish?

Divulge.

Because it is awesome to pronounce.

Samamamamamamamish

Seattle isn't even in the top 100 anymore.

Which kind of worries me in general.

Grr, lunch is over. CURSES.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How do I get it so that I can have a picture so that when I click it, it links to a site?

Is it like [ url=blah]picture[/url] ?

Tav on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh hey, I'm not going to get Sins of a Solar Empire. Smash Brothers is out in just a few weeks and that will be far more entertaining.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    whats that oh wise Haps

Another good solution is to watch more Wim Wenders movies. Bruno Ganz is good for the cuticles.

When you say Wenders, I think of Herzog, then of Rescue Dawn and then I get angry!

Dour and angry. Don't you guys get other emotions?

And no metrosexual is not an emotion.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Oh hey, I'm not going to get Sins of a Solar Empire. A new love doll is out in just a few weeks and that will be far more entertaining.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    whats that oh wise Haps

Russia gets it in 2 days, and Germany still hasn't gotten it? I am most baffled. I know it was an American production (I think), but still. Is it not available on DVD there?

Gim on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My Dad's ice cream birthday cake is still unopened in the freezer and his birthday was Feb 2. Take or not to take?

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    How do I get it so that I can have a picture so that when I click it, it links to a site?

Is it like [ url=blah]picture[/url] ?

That looks right.

Gim on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    JPants wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    I dunno, Irond. Playing this game on the heels of Eternal Sonata have left me jaded with this generation's JRPG offerings.

The fact that you aren't scoffing leads me to think you haven't gotten into the tear jerkfest that's around 3/4s in of disc one.

The skill system is endlessly fun to obsess over though. I spend forty minutes last night debating what the best system would be. I guess the game gets kudos for forcing me to think strategically.

I just hit the plot-point you're talking about and... well.. I liked it. I thought it was well-done and kind of affecting. I find the little dream vignettes interesting and refreshing.

I mean, that said, the last JRPG I actually played all the way through was FFVII, so maybe I don't have the right context to really judge such things. I nearly finished Enchanted Arms, which I thought had a puerile story, and I found Blue Dragon's story and characters grating. I've not yet picked up Eternal Sonata because so many people have been griping about it that I didn't really want to risk the $60

FFXII = best JRPG i've played yet. Persona 3 is close one though just for personality and also managing to incorporate dating sim elements in a surprisingly awesome way.

Persona 3 would be about perfect if it weren't for the blandness of Tartarus. I'm all for random dungeons, but P3's is lackluster by standards of a decade ago. From the level layouts to the actual designs, it's just not very exciting at all. It desperately needs some more level variety, and enemy variety wouldn't hurt, either.

---

The current crop of PS3/360 RPGs looks excessively unappealing.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Every day I can't play Sins of a Solar Empire is a day wasted.

And by that I mean, I obsess over things I can't have.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Screw sins of a Solar Empire.

I want Audiosurf but I have no way of getting it since I don't have access to a credit card D:D:

Tav on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I worked on a set last night where I had access to AC power the whole time and all the takes were marked and clapped. You have no idea how much pleasure and relief these little things bring me.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [

You want to make me cry, don't you?:cry:

t Gim: IMDB says it was released spring of 2007, but that's a dirty lie!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Elki wrote: »

guh.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2008
    My little brother wants me to help me shop for clothes. That should be fun.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I'm sorry Gooey, but SSB is more important than you.

Unless we were teaming up in it to fight other people. But I don't think you have a Wii so that's a rather moot point.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    [

You want to make me cry, don't you?:cry:

<3<3<3<3

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Unless we were teaming up in it to fight other people. But I don't think you have a Wii so that's a rather moot point.

I have a Wii.

I just know where my allegiance lies, traitor.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    guh.
    I’ve largely begun to filter it out thanks to Cat. It seems to be more prevalent among Australians.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Frosteey wrote: »
    JPants wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    I dunno, Irond. Playing this game on the heels of Eternal Sonata have left me jaded with this generation's JRPG offerings.

The fact that you aren't scoffing leads me to think you haven't gotten into the tear jerkfest that's around 3/4s in of disc one.

The skill system is endlessly fun to obsess over though. I spend forty minutes last night debating what the best system would be. I guess the game gets kudos for forcing me to think strategically.

I just hit the plot-point you're talking about and... well.. I liked it. I thought it was well-done and kind of affecting. I find the little dream vignettes interesting and refreshing.

I mean, that said, the last JRPG I actually played all the way through was FFVII, so maybe I don't have the right context to really judge such things. I nearly finished Enchanted Arms, which I thought had a puerile story, and I found Blue Dragon's story and characters grating. I've not yet picked up Eternal Sonata because so many people have been griping about it that I didn't really want to risk the $60

FFXII = best JRPG i've played yet. Persona 3 is close one though just for personality and also managing to incorporate dating sim elements in a surprisingly awesome way.

Persona 3 would be about perfect if it weren't for the blandness of Tartarus. I'm all for random dungeons, but P3's is lackluster by standards of a decade ago. From the level layouts to the actual designs, it's just not very exciting at all. It desperately needs some more level variety, and enemy variety wouldn't hurt, either.

---

The current crop of PS3/360 RPGs looks excessively unappealing.

Mass Effect is pretty fantastic, and Oblivion was crucially flawed in a few aspects but otherwise great. Unless you're talking about JRPGs, in which case I guess I'm not really qualified to judge outside thinking that Lost Odyssey is kind of neat.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Gooey wrote: »

I have a Wii.

Well apparently it doesn't lie with Fox.

Because he and I are gonna be tearing up random internet people something fierce.

Quid on
  • Options
    PlutocracyPlutocracy regular
    edited February 2008
    Why do all the regulars here feel a need to approach posts by newbies with a weak grasp of English in such a condescending and obnoxious way?

Everytime a thread like the "do violence in video games promote violence in people" pops up everyone seems to want to get their intellectual circle-jerk on before a mod closes it. It's one thing to respect rules, it's another thing entirely to be a prick.

Plutocracy on
    They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    finalfantasy_xii_cosplay.jpg

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What have they done to you, Balthier?

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Plutocracy wrote: »
    Why do all the regulars here feel a need to approach posts by newbies with a weak grasp of English in such a condescending and obnoxious way?

Everytime a thread like the "do violence in video games promote violence in people" pops up everyone seems to want to get their intellectual circle-jerk on before a mod closes it.

There were a couple reasonable responses.

Honestly those threads really get to me - they make me feel so bad for some kid who's going to feel embarrassed because he can't spell or didn't grasp the concept of this forum correctly.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I have a Wii.

Because he and I are gonna be tearing up random internet people something fierce.

ITT: Quid cops to being a closet furry.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I'd try going to a German film site and ask a few questions. Couldn't hurt.

Or you could call up Herzog at home and threaten him.

Gim on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    AAaaaaahhh!

What the fuck, Will?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Everytime a thread like the "do violence in video games promote violence in people" pops up everyone seems to want to get their intellectual circle-jerk on before a mod closes it. It's one thing to respect rules, it's another thing entirely to be a prick.

There is an obvious difference between someone with a weak grasp of English and someone who just doesn't bother trying.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I have a Wii.

ITT: Quid cops to being a closet furry.
    Steers, queers, etc.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I hate it when people do that and am not unwilling to throw infractions for that. Most of the mod locks of such threads are mercy locks.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    My Dad's ice cream birthday cake is still unopened in the freezer and his birthday was Feb 2. Take or not to take?

Shit, at my house if you don't eat your slice of Key Lime Pie within 12 hours, it's already been picked out.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    finalfantasy_xii_cosplay.jpg
    Second-from-left looks like Bowie.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You know what's really awesome? No you don't... but I do! Fighting giraffes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7HCIGFdBt8

Brucelee41042 on
This discussion has been closed.