Options

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    After getting some chronic health stuff under control, I've finally felt well enough to start doing some regular and daily exercise as of two weeks ago. I've been mostly focused on just getting it back in as a routine thing. So I've mostly focused on making use of my really old pedal machine for most cardio and leg stuff, while also lots of stretching. Stretching is mostly neck and waist, since I'm trying to see ow much range of motion I might be able to get back. Untreated ankylosing spondylitis has results in some bone fusing around the hips and the neck. So some of the range of motion isn't coming back and it's more about trying to retain what I still have left.

I'm finally hitting a point where I figure, I need to put a bit more thought and planning into what I'm doing. I have started working in a few days where I do pushups, jumping jacks, squats, dips and other things to work on the upper body. Making a point to move planking back in as a regular thing, while also spending some time using the pedal machine to also work the upper body. Finally, trying to get in different stretches for different muscle groups. Also need to figure out what rest days should look like, really seems like rest days aren't doing do anything and just go easy, but don't do too much or too little.

I guess at this point, I need to start looking into some resources, so that I can figure out how much time too put in each day and how often I week I spending working the upper body. I'm not really interested in bulking up. Just want to make sure I get lean, more flexible and avoid putting on unneeded weight, now that my weight is back up to where it should probably be (I'm aware, most of the weight stuff is going to be my diet).

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have also recently started (another) attempt at starting an exercise routine, along with daily stretching which I am already feeling results from after a few weeks.

Yesterday I did squats. I cannot fully squat with my heels flat on the ground without falling over backwards. I assume this is probably normal for someone who is really immobile. But I don't know if it's better to hold onto something for balance so I can do the full squat, or do it freestanding but only go as low as I can with my heels on the ground, or do it freestanding and do it on the balls of my feet so I can get lower. My guess is probably the second one, and hope that over time I'll be able to get lower?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I have also recently started (another) attempt at starting an exercise routine, along with daily stretching which I am already feeling results from after a few weeks.

Yesterday I did squats. I cannot fully squat with my heels flat on the ground without falling over backwards. I assume this is probably normal for someone who is really immobile. But I don't know if it's better to hold onto something for balance so I can do the full squat, or do it freestanding but only go as low as I can with my heels on the ground, or do it freestanding and do it on the balls of my feet so I can get lower. My guess is probably the second one, and hope that over time I'll be able to get lower?

Yes, this is normal. I'd recommend practicing squatting to a platform (where the platform is around where your rear would be when squatting, even if that means you're just ending up around in a sitting position). it's really just going to come with practice, building up your balance/strength as you get used to it until you get to a point where you can skip the platform

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    If you have two slim books (often people use weight plates but you might not have those) you can use them to raise your heels in order to hit squat depth. Keep doing it and the mobility will just come naturally quite soon

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/ZFCDMXtKAhA

Short video with the most basic thing to work on for depth

https://youtu.be/zIWFVBAS28A

Bit longer video with a more elaborate routine to work on depth

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I don't think there's anything I've been enjoying in my life as much as finishing exercising, getting rid of the soaked clothes, and setting the AC to like 18 degrees.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I need to really work on my squats and flexibility.

I actually really improved with the past year doing weekly yoga and acro but man, I'm still embarrassingly inflexible.

It's partly all the running but I never been very flexible and it's soooo boring to work on it.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    So I boulderer 7B this year outside and like, I want to do another

But man the training for bouldering is oppressively hard at the moment

Like I'm just trying to get back to where I was at the moment and it's a slog

Anyone got any self motivation tips?

Solar on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Well, why do you want to do another? Given the training involved, I'd probably pick something that speaks to you rather than "arbitrary boulder at grade".

Or tie it to an iconic boulder somewhere else that you'd vacation for.

Obligatory: or get on a rope and go on some adventure routes :P

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I smashed the crap out of my foot yesterday and just need to mald that something nonsense seems to happen every time I get into a good rhythm of working out

• Options
    schuss wrote: »

Well, why do you want to do another? Given the training involved, I'd probably pick something that speaks to you rather than "arbitrary boulder at grade".

Or tie it to an iconic boulder somewhere else that you'd vacation for.

Obligatory: or get on a rope and go on some adventure routes :P

I mean there is an iconic 7B I want to do in Font, called Crazy Horse. So basically two months to get in shape!

This year's objectives were to climb in another country, climb on three new rock types, get a 400kg total and do a one-armer. I'm pretty close to the last two and I've done the rest but I'd really like to be able to go out and get on classic 7Bs and be doing em in a session, you know? I think realistically I just am at the point where progression goes up and down and that's just gonna mean pushing myself hard every now and again

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Today, the second digit of my weight reached a number it hasn't been for the last four years.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Today, the second digit of my weight reached a number it hasn't been for the last four years.

Pi?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anyone have one of those body composition scales? Are they anything?

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Home one's that just use current through your feet are pretty inaccurate. It can give you a rough estimate but give it a big +/-

Commercial ones with the handle grips are better but can still be a few % +/-

It's all rough and ultimately doesn't make a difference so don't obsess over it. I don't really think they're any more useful than the mirror test (just looking in the mirror), but sometimes people just want to see a number

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

Basically not worth the price of admission due to the odds of erroneous readouts

A DEXA scan would be more accurate if you're looking for muscle mass baselines etc

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    I been doing acro yoga for about a year now and it's been a rough go, mainly because my flexibility ain't that great, specially in my legs were a lot of the basing comes from.

I stuck with it though and been getting better. Discovered some positions that I'm better at than others really helped.

Today I had my best night yet and even easily flew a friend in a position that I never had before!

• Options
    Anyone watching the combined boulder and lead final?

Schubert looking surprisingly strong on da blocs, I suspect he'll podium as he can probably dominate the lead

• Options
    Anyone watching the combined boulder and lead final?

Schubert looking surprisingly strong on da blocs, I suspect he'll podium as he can probably dominate the lead

I'll try to catch the replay later, I spent the morning falling off sandbagged v0s and v1s in pawtuckaway because I'm a weak baby.

• Options
    Are they sandbagged though ;)

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

Basically not worth the price of admission due to the odds of erroneous readouts

A DEXA scan would be more accurate if you're looking for muscle mass baselines etc

Or even just the US military BF% test. For most people, it’s pretty comparable in accuracy to a DEXA scan, and costs way less - a soft measuring tape is all you need. Plus, regardless of what number the various measurement based formulas ultimately spit out, changes in the circumference of one’s neck, chest, belly, hips, and biceps make for a good indication about the direction a person’s fitness is going.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Thanks, folks.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Are they sandbagged though ;)

Yes. This part of New England has a lot of "old school rating" ethics because North Conway is the other close area and people started climbing there before Yosemite.
    There is no greater monster than a less traveled North Conway 5.9+ set in the 1960s or earlier. It could be anything from 5.9 to 5.12.
    Note that this in no way excuses my own inability to climb

schuss on
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Did my 8th outdoor 7A and above (this year) last night

Feels like I'm regularly able to get put and do something relatively hard. Just want to broaden out my grade on rock types above 7A, they're all on lime and really 7A+/7B on grit and sandstone would be ideal

Too hot for grit tho. Needs to get cooler

Solar on
  • Options
    A little over a week till my Mexico City Marathon and I'm finally tapering, which is always the hardest part of training.

Really happy with my current fitness. Training in the Texas summer hasn't been fun but I'm happy I kept with it, I think it'll def help with freaking with the altitude.

I also have my 12 hour climbing competition tomorrow and think that for the first time in have a chance to place in my division.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I bought a BADMAN shirt like Vegeta's

CccWWaO.jpg

sized almost perfectly, it's slightly tight around my belly, so my current weight loss goal is like, 15lbs so I can wear the shirt without the buttons pulled taut.

I'm thinking of doing crunches and push-ups and I have a good bar for pull-ups once I get strong enough to pull my grotesque mass off the ground repeatedly.
    I also watch my niece and she's not getting any lighter so I gotta get arm strength so I can continue to carry her. she gave me a bit of biceps already. I was taking a shower and was like "well well well, look who it is." *flex flex*

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    @Tallahasseeriel

you were the one I talked to about the shirt, right?

it's polyester and the collars are positioned oddly, but it's sturdy enough. just, like I said, a little tight around the stomach.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I just bought a pull up bar myself. It's currently hanging in my doorway mocking me because I can't do a single pull up.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Fuckin heck that site won't take my credit card

I want a bad man shirt!

Oh well, it's a lot of money for something to drape over my revolting corpulence anyway

• Options
    My bike/fitness app sent me a thing saying that I've worked out for 4,000 minutes this year. That's 66.666666666 hours. That's the devil number!

• Options
    Best way to do a pullup if you can't already do one is to assist with a band imo

• Options
    Best way to do a pullup if you can't already do one is to assist with a band imo

that and negative pullups. Step up on a chair or something so that you start above the bar and then resist the descent. If that feels like too much then keep your feet on the chair and have your legs help, just as little as possible

Steam ID
  • Options
    Also important to note: pullups are really hard! Some people have a body type that naturally work for 'em but they otherwise can take a lot of intentional conditioning to be able to train how to do

It is not a statement on your personal fitness level to be unable to do a pullup, it just means it isn't something you've trained to do yet

Steam
  • Options

that and negative pullups. Step up on a chair or something so that you start above the bar and then resist the descent. If that feels like too much then keep your feet on the chair and have your legs help, just as little as possible

Tbh I actually think that bands are better because I think negatives can just be really hard to do well or usefully (especially in terms of volume) but yes they are a thing too, for sure

Pullups are hard, it is true. Especially for women because the upper body lean mass ratio is different. I'd probably say more people out on the street can't do one pullup than can

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Every time I do arm day I feel like I haven't exercised at all. Meanwhile with squats my heart is pumping out of my chest and my face becomes a waterfall

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    12 hours of climbing done!

I'm home, showered and exhausted but with this

djeougs40prb.jpg

Took first place in my category! This was my 8th year doing this comp and the first time I was on the podium so I'm really proud of myself.

145 total climbs, 4800 feet of height.

• Options
    How does one exercise around having exercise induced asthma?

I find that most things that elevate my heart rate above like 140 to 150 or so trigger breathing issues, I see my pulmonologist again on Tuesday so I know I gotta ask him and he's going to get on me about losing weight again just like my cardiologist did a few weeks ago while telling me my heart is fine. But they tend to recommend disordered eating triggering stuff like hardcore intermittent fasting schedules.

Cardio is fun and has been traditionally the only kind of exercise I can maintain interest in

I suppose I need to try yoga again some more but it's so boring just setting up in my living room and doing it by myself and I always feel like I'm doing it wrong

• Options

I find that most things that elevate my heart rate above like 140 to 150 or so trigger breathing issues, I see my pulmonologist again on Tuesday so I know I gotta ask him and he's going to get on me about losing weight again just like my cardiologist did a few weeks ago while telling me my heart is fine. But they tend to recommend disordered eating triggering stuff like hardcore intermittent fasting schedules.

Cardio is fun and has been traditionally the only kind of exercise I can maintain interest in

I suppose I need to try yoga again some more but it's so boring just setting up in my living room and doing it by myself and I always feel like I'm doing it wrong

This is honestly something you need to ask a professional like a physiotherapist, who can help you build a regime that won't trigger health issues

Steam
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »

This is honestly something you need to ask a professional like a physiotherapist, who can help you build a regime that won't trigger health issues

Hopefully I can get a referral to one then and my stupid doctors don't just jerk me around because this is the USA and doctors here suck as a rule

• Options
    At least in Canada you do not need a referral to see a physio, you only need it if you're going to redeem it against insurance

Steam