Options

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I guess my race was technically a success, but ugh. The distance was nominally 5k, but the precise route ended up getting changed a few times during the last few days before the race, and it looks like the actual distance was probably 5.1 km. Strava-creeping other people who did the race, and looking at my own watches, it looks like 5.1 km. Mapping out the route looks like 5.1. But officially, it’s a 5k.

So officially, I was in with a time of 22:24, which is not a PB. Unofficially, my Strava now has me doing 5k in 21:57, which is a PB. So, yay. But I was hoping for a lot better.

The week before the race, I bought some Saucony Endorphin Speed 3 shoes. They’ve got a nylon plate in them; not quite the carbon plate, but close. They’re also incredibly light. They’re too expensive to put into my regular running rotation, costing about twice what I’d normally spend on shoes, but damn they’re great to run in. I’ll be saving them for PB attempts, the last few sessions before a race, and then the races themselves.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Best way to do a pullup if you can't already do one is to assist with a band imo

I've seen too many clips of people twatting themselves in the face/crotch with resistance bands to trust them

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    That just adds drive to learn to do em without as soon as you can ;p

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Also important to note: pullups are really hard! Some people have a body type that naturally work for 'em but they otherwise can take a lot of intentional conditioning to be able to train how to do

It is not a statement on your personal fitness level to be unable to do a pullup, it just means it isn't something you've trained to do yet

This inspired to try some pullups just now at the gym, I used to be able to sets of 10.

I believe the technical term is LOL, LMAO

Ended up doing 5 with like 60 lb weight assist, definitely something I'll have to work back up to

But hey, y'all motivated me to try, so cheers!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What is a pull-up anyway

Googles it

Oh lol lmao no no way I could even do one of those

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Also important to note: pullups are really hard! Some people have a body type that naturally work for 'em but they otherwise can take a lot of intentional conditioning to be able to train how to do

It is not a statement on your personal fitness level to be unable to do a pullup, it just means it isn't something you've trained to do yet

This inspired to try some pullups just now at the gym, I used to be able to sets of 10.

I believe the technical term is LOL, LMAO

Ended up doing 5 with like 60 lb weight assist, definitely something I'll have to work back up to

But hey, y'all motivated me to try, so cheers!

I still cannot do it though admittedly my physiotherapist had to deal with my changing aspirations from "I would like to do one pull-up" to "I want to look like Rhea Ripley"

One must have priorities in life

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Who's Rhea Ripley

Googles

Oh my

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I used the pull up bar for the first time yesterday. I definitely can't do a pull up. Did some fake ones while standing on a stack of books to practice form, and also did some dead hangs because I guess that might improve my grip. It fucking killed my hands.

One day I might be able to do one maybe.

I feel like the exercise I'm doing is achieving something but it's hard to tell. I'm thinking of starting running again because I probably need to do some cardio. I wish I didn't hate running, or that every other kind of cardio didn't cost money.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I've been watching videos on how to do pull-ups and apparently you just do progressively more angled standing rows with a bar then jacknife pullups

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    To give myself a little credit, when I last did pullups regularly I was probably 40+ pounds lighter, so a 60 pound assist means I am only 20 pounds weaker, mirite?

I mixed in some lat pulldowns to my routine for the first time in who knows how long, I've been meaning to get back to more variety in the upper body routine anyway.

• Options
    Pullups are hard. Take your time and consistently do the progressions towards them and they will come

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Yesterday me: let's try all these different types of bicep curls!
    Today me: ow!

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Today's workout from the trainer:

2km row

Group A:
    4x8 Back squat
    4 x5/5 DB Reverse Lunge with 2 in Deficit
    4 x15 Banded Good Mornings

Group B
    4x15 Elevated Goblet Squat
    4x10/10 Single Leg Hamstring Curl
    4x 10/10 Single Leg Leg Extension

Group C - 4 sets of...
    45 sec Elbow Plank
    10 Pushups
    15/15 Side to Side L-Sit Transition with kettlebell
    10/10 Alternative V-Ups

...if anyone needs me I'll be not walking at all tomorrow

• Options
    For most folks it's also a question of, do you need to be able to do a pull-up? Does it fit with your goals?

A lot of the training to do a pull-up is really just in service of that one skill. It's totally fine for it to be a goal, mind! And I assume there are cross-training benefits for something like rock climbing (maybe, Solar?)? But otherwise, it's kinda like, if your goals are more functional strength it might be best as a tangential thing rather than your sole fitness goal, y'know?

No, I am not being paid off by Big Squat to make this post

Steam
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    what if your goals are big guns

• Options
    I'm following a routine by the Hybrid Callisthenics guy, which only involves 6 exercises (Push up, pull up, squat, leg raises, bridges, twists (though I swap the twists for planks because I do twists every night when I stretch)). I like it because it's only 2 exercises per day for 6 days/week. Anything more complicated than that feels overwhelming for some reason. Like just looking at Ziploc's post above makes my brain go ugghhh.

It's the only thing I've ever tried that I've kept up for more than a week. Maybe I'll try something more involved some day but for now I'm liking this.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

Lemme teach you about presses and curls!! Curls upon curls!!!!

Steam
  • Options
    Doing a pullup is a useful and relevant test of athletic ability imo

• Options
    edited August 2023

But Solar I don't wanna do 'em!! I wanna have takes online!!!

(I did admittedly take Swole Woman's take to heart on this while recalculating my strength goals to do other things and come back to it later: https://www.shesabeast.co/hold-on-why-do-we-want-to-do-pull/ )

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Like just looking at Ziploc's post above makes my brain go ugghhh.

I started this way as well - and still kinda am, actually.

I worked with a trainer twice a week for about a year, then moved away, and he sends me stuff now for twice a week lifting workouts. Was a long road building up to what is somewhere between a half hour to hour long workout and yesterday I was very very ugghhh.

• Options
    RaveRave Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Chin-ups are the better answer there. Pull-ups are if you want more sexy back muscles

• Options
    I did some running today, for the first time in 5+ years. Was pleasantly surprised to find I could just run for the entire time, I thought I would have to have some walking breaks like I did when I first started getting into running years ago. I guess my job actually does more for my fitness than I am aware of.

I think I might sign up for a 10k next year. That would be 10 years since the one and only 10k I've run before.

• Options

But Solar I don't wanna do 'em!! I wanna have takes online!!!

(I did admittedly take Swole Woman's take to heart on this while recalculating my strength goals to do other things and come back to it later: https://www.shesabeast.co/hold-on-why-do-we-want-to-do-pull/ )

I think that tbh that article makes some good points but I think people want to do pullups because they're self evidently hard, not everyone can do them, they're a lofty challenge, and its not vastly more complicated than that.

As someone who can do sixteen pullups I'd say that they're never not a good athletic standard by anyone's metric. If someone can deadlift twice their bodyweight and bench their bodyweight but not do 8 pullups that's a hole imo.

• Options
    Anyway today crossfit was benching (yay!) Followed by a WOD of 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 of 1.5 bodyweight deadlifts (ughhhh) and strict pullups (yay!) In 8 minutes (what the fuck)

7 mins 50 seconds with dreadful deadlift form at the end, glad I didn't injure myself. Fucking dead. Awful.

• Options
    I want to do a pullup because I want each of my limbs to be stronger than my body weight, so it's either that, dips, or something even harder. The problem is I'm not sure which exercise has the greatest risk of shoulder impingement: I know that wide pull ups and chin ups increase the risk of shoulder injury compared to shoulder width pull ups, and both reduce subacromial space, though I suppose dips may be better if you don't let the arm go above the level of the shoulder.

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    I do a lot of wide pullups and they're fine, they're harder, but they're fine. Do some overhead pressing to work the shoulder stability if you feel like that'd help

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I do a lot of wide pullups and they're fine, they're harder, but they're fine. Do some overhead pressing to work the shoulder stability if you feel like that'd help

Also remember that as a reasonably accomplished boulderers, your shoulder musculature will be more complete and developed than most.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    :sunglasses:

No but I do think that wide grip is fundamentally fine, in the same way they all are; don't overdo it and give yourself elbow tendonitis, but otherwise you'll be okay.

My suggestion for overhead pressing is also entirely serious, I think it's very good for shoulder strength and developing and it makes your shoulders overall much more stable. If someone is doing 3 sets of pullups I think 3 sets of overhead presses would be v appropriate as an ancillary

Solar on
  • Options
    My motivation for working out that survives up to the last rep before failure is "this will help my 70th birthday not completely suck."

So I'm thinking: why should I do biceps and triceps isolating exercises at the latter half of arm day? That won't help prevent joint pain as the biceps doesn't stabilize any joint. What will stabilize joints? The rotator cuff. So why not religiously do rotator cuff exercises at the end of the session instead?

https://youtu.be/-NA8lUy5_Qc?si=5y47mf-Fsw2Bi3Z0

• Options
    Overhead pressing is v good for the rotator cuff :)

• Options
    Yeah I love overhead press, but would you consider that a compound exercise to start with or an isolating finishing exercise? And what do you think of the worry that the deltoid will hog all the glory?

• Options
    I'd say that there is such a thing as overthinking it. Three sets of eight dumbbell overhead presses, as strict as you can, after your pulling workout. That'll do good things for your shoulders, and externally rotate them which is good after all that pulling.

If you're curious my current pulling workout is 3x3 added weight pullups @ 30kgs (which needs to increase a bit as its a little too easy), 3x8 wide grip unweighted pullups and 3x12 single arm low dumbbell rows, usually with 17.5kgs or 20kgs. And then three times 8 overhead presses, usually with 15 or 17.5kg dumbbells.

I also bench twice a week, which helps the whole shoulder/chest/arm connection

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    I’d just add a note of caution on OHP; I tore my rotator cuff by trying to go too heavy too quickly (barbell), and reading around I’m far from alone in that.

• Options
    It's about 4 weeks since I started working out 6 days/week. Probably more like 2 since I started doing it properly. Yesterday I looked in the mirror and actually saw it's having an effect. Barely noticeable, but something, and that's the first time that's ever happened.

I ache all the time though. I've gone from constantly being sore and stiff due to not moving enough, to constantly being sore and stiff from yesterday's exercise. Is this just the depressing reality of being alive?

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    It's about 4 weeks since I started working out 6 days/week. Probably more like 2 since I started doing it properly. Yesterday I looked in the mirror and actually saw it's having an effect. Barely noticeable, but something, and that's the first time that's ever happened.

I ache all the time though. I've gone from constantly being sore and stiff due to not moving enough, to constantly being sore and stiff from yesterday's exercise. Is this just the depressing reality of being alive?

That's pretty much how i feel! It's gotten slightly better over time but not entirely

sig.gif
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Yep. I've been pretty consistently fit for probably most of my adulthood. The soreness never goes away for some people if you're doing resistance training or doing other vigorous exercise.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    The soreness went away after about 2 weeks for me, but I think that's because my arms are so weak compared to my legs that arm day is practically a rest day

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    If I take a week off training I usually feel great though. Until after about two sessions back, then it's back to all-ouch all the time.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Yeah, with heat waves and other things I just did leg day yesterday for the first time in three weeks.

Oof

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    If you're sore all of the time after resistance training then I'd run through the following checks, just in case:

1. Are you warming up correctly/at all?

2. What hurts? Is it muscles or tendons? Maybe you can tweak your form in a lift to help?

3. Are you eating enough, particularly protein?

4. Have you considered taking an awful lot of fish oil (1-2 grams EPA/DHA) to reduce your general inflammation levels?