As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Forza] Motorsport: Releases October 10th

2»

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Okay, well now I don't have to run the experiment where I turn up the ruleset to see if they get more cautious. Your sacrifice is appreciated.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Well, You can get penalties even in the middle tier. I think there are three. I haven’t noticed it changing the drivatars, but I haven’t tried the maximum penalty setting yet… and I really wasn’t planning on it.

Edit: The skies in this game are something else. I’m willing to bet they did that video capture of the skies over the tracks like they did for the last two Horizon games. The reason I’m saying this is because of the Homestead/Miami track. I grew up down in Homestead, was there from 87 - 90, a couple months before Andrew tore through the area. The skies on that track are bringing back vivid memories of looking up at the sky while playing outside, during long car rides, while crossing over the Homestead AFB runways to go shooting (target practice) with my dad… and a bunch of other times. It’s eerily realistic, and the first time I’ve felt that when playing any game.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Fun trip down memory lane to see this thread title pop up. I don't think I'm buying this, but I always enjoyed our races.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    So I saw that the high speed/ money glitch from Forza 7 worked in this and tried it for 15 minutes because fuck car grinding, and it worked I have 6 million $ now, but it also jumped my player level from 8 to 104..oops

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Just installed this last night and it runs like ass on my 5800X + RTX 3070ti. I have to lower the resolution to 1080p if I want to use any type or RT. Feels like DLSS does nothing here.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, what's up?

8ydunmvw2ojd.png

Putting this on gamepass kinda makes it impossible not to at least try it out

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I'm extremely disappointed with the game. It definitely needed at least 6 more months in the oven.

The career mode is bland, the car leveling system is mobile game levels of dumb, the graphics are completely inconsistent, the handling is extremely weird especially for racing cars and the bugs/performance are simply too common/obvious for this to have been released in this state.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Played the introduction on Xbox Series X (in contrast with Starfield, which I am playing, unmodded, on Windows, specifically the Xbox version and not the Steam release). I'm really just a few hours in.

I forgot just how great Turn 10 is with their "come and play with us," FM introduction sequences, and I say this as someone who has higher expectations of difficulty than the game's own set "average" and would probably prefer them be a little less kind and forgiving (in a franchise with generally Gran Turismo levels of realism, or slightly higher); it's still very charming while trying to "ease you" into the game. Visually, the game is, per Forza Motorsport tradition, stunning; I'm playing on "Performance RT" mode, since it's a bit hard to picture this game not running at 60 FPS (1 of the 3 options defaults to 30 FPS), though I wonder if they went a little overboard with realistic sunlight and shadow casting (the moment you realize that a few thousand meters of paved asphalt race track is going to reflect light in a very specific manner, and that's why all tracked racing footage looks the way it does). Haven't really gotten to experience the weather effects properly yet, though the night-time racing is "holy shit, this is dangerous" levels of immersion, and left me laughing.

I'm not sure if it reflects changes to the car handling model, but I'm playing with a gamepad, on realistic handling, manual (of course), limited ABS assistance, simulation wear, damage, and fuel, but with a full racing line, which is slightly less forgiving than I played in FM7. The game's introduction is, by explanation, very forgiving, so that might have to go down, but I'll see.

They're leaning hard to encourage players to stick with any particular car, which is an interesting away of addressing the old franchise complaint, "Sure there are hundreds of amazingly-modeled cars and it's easy to get them, but it's too easy, I never get attached to them! You need to fix that!" which I always thought was a bit dubious. Gradually unlocking parts upgrades offers a very linear award system for staying with a car (I picked the Honda Civic Sport '19 as a started, since I drive a cheapo 2020 Civic myself). It brought my mind back to Forza Horizon which, as I've noted, I've never played more than a few hours to admire the world setting (world-class mockups of northern Mexico, the Scottish Border, coastal Australia, etc.) before gradually being turned off the all-terrain open-world playground model (though changing weather in FH4 was, really, a game changer), and the competing award systems within that. FH5 is, to be sure, "a very good/universally acclaimed" game, and I get why it's the biggest release in the franchise so far, but if given the choice between an open-world competitive stunt and racing game, and an enclosed track simulator-lite, I'm still going to pick the later.

Very happy so far, it was worth the wait. If there had been a shiny physical edition pre-order, I probably would've picked it up, as with Starfield.

Drivatars are still bastards, but their bastard settings are more granular this time around. And inevitably I turned on name tags while driving so I can see which one of you bastards decides to ruin any given run on a whim. :D

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    though I wonder if they went a little overboard with realistic sunlight and shadow casting (the moment you realize that a few thousand meters of paved asphalt race track is going to reflect light in a very specific manner, and that's why all tracked racing footage looks the way it does).

With the rise of ray traced, HDR lighting and reflections in racing games, I really wish they would start adding an option to wear sunglasses because just like real life driving into blinding sunlight without them lap after lap is incredibly frustrating.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I’m really enjoying this game after bouncing off FM7 pretty fast. Race days feel lively and the additional crowd sizes actually make practices and championship series feel like distinct events, and for the most part the cars handle much better and have a great weight to them. I’m glad they finally have a reasonable penalty system (although it is kinda inconsistent), and you are no longer having to gun for top 3 placement to feel like you are achieving anything. I get the visuals are step down from the original bull shots, but it is still a very stunning game. I play at 4k 30fps because I need to squeeze all the visual juice from the rind that I can, and haven’t had any real visual issues on Xbox or PC. Raytracing is kinda whatever, but aside from reflections it’s never felt that necessary? The games have always looked stunning with the normal level of artistry with the lighting and it just seems like that load on the engine could go towards literally anything else? Playground Games still feel years ahead of what they can squeeze out of their respective engine however, and I don’t know how an open world game can still look so much better than closed track levels? Either way, I’m glad they finally got away from 2d plane vegetation in this the year of our lord 2023.

Been very addicted and if I didn’t have so spooky games to get through this month this would definitely replace Starfield as my main time killer.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I'm also having a lot of fun but there is a lot of jank. Overall I'm very happy with it as a gamepass game I'd be less happy if I paid full

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I had a weird glitch with my 350Z Nismo where there were really weird reflections. It eventually stole a livery off another car I had.

After doing a custom paint job the situation reversed but it was interesting.

I also notice if the game loses focus at all, it will often crash.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    I had a weird glitch with my 350Z Nismo where there were really weird reflections. It eventually stole a livery off another car I had.

After doing a custom paint job the situation reversed but it was interesting.

I also notice if the game loses focus at all, it will often crash.

yeah mine crashes on xbox usually on load up or like when I was going customization. Thankfully not in a race yet knock on wood.

Though I'm really early just trying to beat Wraith's impossible fucking rival times.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Wraith is literally the fucking Wraith from the Charlie Sheen movie, he beat my time almost immediately.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Working through the Pony Car championship and holy fuck is it hard to build a car with these restrictions.

• Options
    I do like how the Points system makes you get creative with your build. But it feels like you need to have a car with at least 10 levels to have a shot to be competitive.