Options

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    So Kane Pixels uploaded his latest Backrooms instalment a few days ago which capitalizes on the tension built in the last one, continuing to build an insane amount of tension before truly letting it fly
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWNMsZ44ooc

And as an added bonus, tonight the algorithm served me this video from SIX YEARS AGO, exploring the exact mall.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lmAHZcpwx0
    I have watched a BUNCH of urban exploration videos and not a one of them has filled me with as much dread as this one did, with its calm voice over and its canned smooth jazz and its uninterrupted daylight.

The verisimilitude in Kane's video is wild, though. I wonder if he modeled and textured the mall himself or if someone built it as a level for a videogame or something...

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    #pipe wrote: »
    So Kane Pixels uploaded his latest Backrooms instalment a few days ago which capitalizes on the tension built in the last one, continuing to build an insane amount of tension before truly letting it fly

And as an added bonus, tonight the algorithm served me this video from SIX YEARS AGO, exploring the exact mall.
    I have watched a BUNCH of urban exploration videos and not a one of them has filled me with as much dread as this one did, with its calm voice over and its canned smooth jazz and its uninterrupted daylight.

The verisimilitude in Kane's video is wild, though. I wonder if he modeled and textured the mall himself or if someone built it as a level for a videogame or something...

He goes over it in a stream he did with Wendigoon

https://www.youtube.com/live/Ib4BaQndTNs

TL;DW Essentially he became obsessed with the statue and then the mall it got trapped in. A friend of his actually went to the city hall to get the blueprints for the mall and then he and his friend spent months modelling and texturing it all just for this video series

He goes through a couple of other videos, including either the exploration video you linked or another one, that give you a better idea of what the series is about. He says that it can be considered complete at this point because it will be a very long time until he can return to it

Quantum Tiger on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I watched that worm video but I didn't get any nightmares. Fail 1/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m65s3ZzyRN0

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    The Empty Man is excellent, that cold open was masterful.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options

The first video on this channel, The Pine Creepers, is also excellent.

As a Brit I live on an island where the forests were all cut down thousands of years ago, so I've always romanticised horror set in the wooded expanses of the US. Just a sea of trees from horizon to horizon, and it's just you and whatever calls the woods their home

I don't know what it's like to folks who actually live there but I'm always on the lookout for media that captures that vibe

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

As a Brit I live on an island where the forests were all cut down thousands of years ago, so I've always romanticised horror set in the wooded expanses of the US. Just a sea of trees from horizon to horizon, and it's just you and whatever calls the woods their home

I don't know what it's like to folks who actually live there but I'm always on the lookout for media that captures that vibe

When we were house shopping for the house we currently live in, Strikor and I really wanted to have a forest in our back or side yard. We unfortunately didn't actually get forest with the house (though there are a lot of trees, a river, and multiple treed lots near us so we got close), but the biggest contenders were this house with a hiking trail, forested area and creek behind it and my personal favorite, this 1+ acre lot and 80s house that makes you feel like you really are living in the forest (also has a creek in the back!) I absolutely love the romance and and inherent spookiness of forested areas.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

He goes over it in a stream he did with Wendigoon

https://www.youtube.com/live/Ib4BaQndTNs

TL;DW Essentially he became obsessed with the statue and then the mall it got trapped in. A friend of his actually went to the city hall to get the blueprints for the mall and then he and his friend spent months modelling and texturing it all just for this video series

He goes through a couple of other videos, including either the exploration video you linked or another one, that give you a better idea of what the series is about. He says that it can be considered complete at this point because it will be a very long time until he can return to it

Thanks for the link.
    I don't know if I can do a 4 hour podcast or stream or whatever.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

Yeah this one didn't do anything for me. Seemed pretty rote in execution.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023

I'm not done watching this, but I have to mention (this kind of ruins the spooky which is why it's in spoilers)
    I used to shop regularly at the Valley View Mall, and I kept thinking, "huh, this looks exactly like Valley View", up to and including the stairway next to the escalator and the AMC theater in the top floor. And then he walks by a sign saying "Valley View Mall" - he probably should have edited the name to something else.
    That mall is of course completely dead now, making it the perfect place to shoot a film about a scary liminal space.

Although speaking of liminal spaces, my favorite one currently is the Dallas Pedestrian Network, a set of tunnels under downtown Dallas that's still open today but far less known than it was 50 years ago. Certain parts of it are extremely back rooms-esque. Here's a video of some dudes exploring part of it, and frankly this video would have been amazing horror if it had slowly shifted in tone as it went on.

I don't know why a) an aspiring horror filmmaker hasn't made a film with that as the setting or b) a bunch of indie shops haven't rented more of the retail spaces for that perfect ambience. Though I do get that if people don't know about the tunnel then of course it's hard to sell your business there... but how neat would an antiques and curios shop be down there (maybe offering palm readings too?) or a literal hole-in-the-wall diner or bar.

Edit: ok, it swung around to spooky for me aga again
    When he runs back to the stairs and they're rubble

Edit again: OK I watched the full video and the second video you shared of the urban exploration of the mall. The whole video is excellently spooky and terrifying, even though I initially wasn't able to find the Valley View mall scary at all. Since the last time I really shopped there was 2009 or 2010, I'm pretty sure I did see the carousel at least once before they got rid of it.

I didn't realize until I re-read your post, but Kane Pixel recreated the mall digitally?! That is fucking wild, I thought he was actually in the abandoned mall (but I guess from the second video, they tore it down? I don't know for sure as I haven't gone there in a while. Though the Google map of the location looks like quite a bit has been torn down there.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited October 2023

Here in New England most of the trees were cut down during the colonial period for farming and the forests only started creeping back in the early 20th century when New England farmers got out-competed by Midwestern mega corporations.

So most forests around here have lots of evidence of the farms that used to be here usually in the form of stone walls everywhere and the occasional empty foundation or cistern.

It does lead to a certain amount of spookiness like in the movie Blair Witch Project where a forest seems empty but then oh wait, I think I see something out there ... In the darkness...

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I'm not done watching this, but I have to mention (this kind of ruins the spooky which is why it's in spoilers)
    I used to shop regularly at the Valley View Mall, and I kept thinking, "huh, this looks exactly like Valley View", up to and including the stairway next to the escalator and the AMC theater in the top floor. And then he walks by a sign saying "Valley View Mall" - he probably should have edited the name to something else.
    That mall is of course completely dead now, making it the perfect place to shoot a film about a scary liminal space.

Although speaking of liminal spaces, my favorite one currently is the Dallas Pedestrian Network, a set of tunnels under downtown Dallas that's still open today but far less known than it was 50 years ago. Certain parts of it are extremely back rooms-esque. Here's a video of some dudes exploring part of it, and frankly this video would have been amazing horror if it had slowly shifted in tone as it went on.

I don't know why a) an aspiring horror filmmaker hasn't made a film with that as the setting or b) a bunch of indie shops haven't rented more of the retail spaces for that perfect ambience. Though I do get that if people don't know about the tunnel then of course it's hard to sell your business there... but how neat would an antiques and curios shop be down there (maybe offering palm readings too?) or a literal hole-in-the-wall diner or bar.

Edit: ok, it swung around to spooky for me aga again
    When he runs back to the stairs and they're rubble

Edit again: OK I watched the full video and the second video you shared of the urban exploration of the mall. The whole video is excellently spooky and terrifying, even though I initially wasn't able to find the Valley View mall scary at all. Since the last time I really shopped there was 2009 or 2010, I'm pretty sure I did see the carousel at least once before they got rid of it.

I didn't realize until I re-read your post, but Kane Pixel recreated the mall digitally?! That is fucking wild, I thought he was actually in the abandoned mall (but I guess from the second video, they tore it down? I don't know for sure as I haven't gone there in a while. Though the Google map of the location looks like quite a bit has been torn down there.

There's an exchange in the very long livestream I linked that goes like this:
    Wendigoon: Have you considered that now that the mall has been demolished that your digital copy of it is the only version of it in existence?
    Kane: Well yeah, that's kind of the point

He also shares a video of
    a timelapse of the statue being built, paraded around the streets, being locked in the mall and finally being abandoned. The last shots of the statue are in rotting and disintegrating in filth while the mall around it is torn down

So this is my interpretation and explanation of why it's important that the mall really existed. This is just me cooking over the last week because I can't stop thinking about it
    I think Kane wanted to explore what space would feel if it was dying and dead. A mall is filled with people and activity and then one day lies abandoned. How would that mall feel? How would it feel toward us? Angry?

Do places die or do they live on in our memories and what happens when everyone forgets about a place? Now that Kane has created this short film Valley View mall has gained a kind of immortality as long as the video is played and his digital version of it exists

Over the course of the video the mall goes from lit up and intact, to rotting and filled with trees to finally being torn down. Just like the real one

Now, why the fuck is it underground? Why is botany so important (the real statue is based on a famous botanist, a digital lookalike of that botanist is in the first episode of this series, the protagonist of the video says he used to study botany)?. Also, the protagonist ends up in the same forest and has the same greyscale skin tone as the botanist in ep 1, what's up with that? No idea.

Oh yeah, one final fun note from the stream I linked
    Kane reveals via webcam that he is now in possession of the giant's mask - or a very good recreation, at least

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    So this is my interpretation and explanation of why it's important that the mall really existed. This is just me cooking over the last week because I can't stop thinking about it
    I think Kane wanted to explore what space would feel if it was dying and dead. A mall is filled with people and activity and then one day lies abandoned. How would that mall feel? How would it feel toward us? Angry?

Do places die or do they live on in our memories and what happens when everyone forgets about a place?

Congratulations! You've just invented Shinto!

• Options
    What do I win

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    What do I win

Cool archways and resentful ghosts, mostly.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    F8o-Fb5-EWs-AA3fv-U.jpg

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    you really gota hand it to them

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    New Dylan Clark dropped

https://youtu.be/g3WXoSbFvC0

CW: Mourning the death of child

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    It still surprises me that John Ritter is dead. Aortic Dissection.
    https://youtu.be/BBE3hgt12cM?si=0XW8qS4giqNpj1Q-

Krathoon on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Whoops. Wrong thread.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    also guys, you know me, I like to make a tale tall, tell some shenanigans for the sake of a good spook. I will pause here for you to gasp, and then continue with this.

goddamnit I think this house is haunted, and not in a "spooky thing happened and I play it up" way.

like, nightmares about the house and dark things, temperatures fluctuating, things moving or disappearing and showing up somewhere else, sometimes my cats will just bristle and start hissing and assuming battle position at nothing at all.

oh and there was a box with a cat skeleton in it in the attic.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    it was nice knowing you

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    How much money is it worth to you to clear that place out? I can send you the damage and injury waiver right away.

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    You need a ghost dog.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    New Dylan Clark dropped

https://youtu.be/g3WXoSbFvC0

CW: Mourning the death of child

Thanks for sharing this, I don't remember hearing about this filmmaker before! I ended up watching almost all of their short films yesterday. They've definitely gotten better at their craft with time. I think my personal favorite is Portrait of God.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    You need a ghost dog.

Why not two? 02eiq7g89b0c.png

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    those dogs fucked my little brain up when I was 5 and my dad decided that as a treat, I could stay up late and watch Ghostbusters with him.

loved it, love these crazy ghosts, love Bill Murray, but those fucking dogs show up and, I have a clear memory of this, I went mad with fear and hid in my room for a day and my dad got in trouble for showing me Ghostbusters.

watched it like a year later, with prior experience the devil dogs weren't as scary and Gozer made quite the impression on young Depressperado

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You need a ghost dog.

d8jdijhiiu59.jpeg

• Options
    My ghost-dog is much cuter.
    pyuzwub6cyuk.jpg
    He's only a "ghost dog" in the same sense that a foxhound hunts foxes.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    those dogs fucked my little brain up when I was 5 and my dad decided that as a treat, I could stay up late and watch Ghostbusters with him.

loved it, love these crazy ghosts, love Bill Murray, but those fucking dogs show up and, I have a clear memory of this, I went mad with fear and hid in my room for a day and my dad got in trouble for showing me Ghostbusters.

watched it like a year later, with prior experience the devil dogs weren't as scary and Gozer made quite the impression on young Depressperado

Haha, same, but I'd snuck into my parents room to watch tele after bed time. I was scared shitless, but also didn't want to get in trouble so just had to live with the fear by myself.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    When I was like 5 or 6 and the first IT miniseries was airing on TV, I snuck out of my room while my mom was watching it and watched it from upstairs through the bannister posts. I was afraid of getting snatched through a shower drain for probably 5 years afterwards, refusing to wash in a shower that wasn't a bathtub.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    When I was like 10 my dad was watching Aliens, the 8:30 movie for the night. I wanted to watch it, so he said 1 hour only.

Turns out that with TV editing and ads that put me right up to the face hugger tank jump scare. Then he grinned and said that’s it, bed time.

I was jumping at shadows for weeks.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    I was probably no older than 6 when my mom had the TV on and Return of the Living Dead 2 was showing. I still remember coming in during the "tar-man" scene and being told I had to go to bed during the part where the family is trapped in the house and the zombies are breaking down the door (I vividly remember the screaming decapitated head with the screwdriver stuck in it).

It's the only time in my life I've been too scared to sleep because of a movie. They honestly would have been much better letting me see it through to the end instead of having the last images before going to sleep be the survivors trapped in a suburban house with no clear escape while the undead steadily broke their way in.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I saw Terminator 1 when I was about 9 years old and that fucked me up for a long time. I could vividly imagine the metal skeleton of the robot turning the corner and walking into my bedroom. I used to sneak into my brother's room to sleep because if I was killed by the Terminator then at least my brother would also be killed, it's only fair.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I saw nightmare on elm Street when I was around 7.

Im just built different. I'm not afraid of movies.

Then again those alien abduction specials on TV when I was little scared the ever living bajeezus out of me.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    The scariest thing I saw as a child was the Twilight Zone. That one episode about the ventriloquist mannequin gave me nightmares for weeks.

• Options
    I saw nightmare on elm Street when I was around 7.

Im just built different. I'm not afraid of movies.

Then again those alien abduction specials on TV when I was little scared the ever living bajeezus out of me.

oh god, for a while, the very image of a "Grey" (or Zeta Reticulan) was enough to creep me right off. the big shark eyes they have, I hate them ugh

one time I saw an episode of Hard Copy, and it was about Bigfoot, the Chupacabra, and the Jersey Devil, I think? the image of the Chupacabra was horrifying (it was some manner of dog with very bad mange taken from a distance) and scared the shit out of me. That night, I heard a cat get killed by a coyote and was like OH FUCK IT'S THE CHUPACABRA, SLEEPIN' UNDER THE BED TO-NIGHT.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I was probably no older than 6 when my mom had the TV on and Return of the Living Dead 2 was showing. I still remember coming in during the "tar-man" scene and being told I had to go to bed during the part where the family is trapped in the house and the zombies are breaking down the door (I vividly remember the screaming decapitated head with the screwdriver stuck in it).

It's the only time in my life I've been too scared to sleep because of a movie. They honestly would have been much better letting me see it through to the end instead of having the last images before going to sleep be the survivors trapped in a suburban house with no clear escape while the undead steadily broke their way in.

Yeah, RotLD 2 stuck with me for years when I was a kid

but I still remember, "get that damn screwdriver outta my head!"

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Yeah honestly the thing that comforted me most about aliens was when my older step brother was like

"They won't be used to earths gravity, you can just push them over"

Really made me feel better

Not the same step brother that showed me nightmare though. That was my oldest step brother. To be fair with him around I wasn't scared of much. He was like 6'1" by the time he was 15 and has a temper but was really protective of me and claw.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I read the entire mystery flesh pit novel on ao3 and that was pretty fun