As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy]: the octagon is triangled

1878889909193»

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I just lost a vote in triangle strategy…I’m just going to let it ride. Let’s take this path I didn’t intend at all.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Something to keep in mind:
    Roland is an idiot.

It applies to some of the others, as well, but IMO it's the most egregious with him.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Roland is an idiot.

It applies to some of the others, as well, but IMO it's the most egregious with him.
    Yeah I was going to go with fire wife’s plan
    But ended up with Benedict’s plan and Roland threw a fit and left.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So I've been finally playing through Octopath Traveler. I'm starting the Chapter 3 sections of the different stories.

Tressa's story didn't interest me at all. I don't care that she wants to be the best merchant...then comes along chapter 3 and now I'm fully vested in her finding the most precious thing to her. Funny how quickly a story can changed and pull you in. :smiley:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Roland is an idiot.

This is going to have some real spoilers:
    My biggest issue with Roland is that he's a coward. He spends the entire game running from responsibility, even in the early chapters before things go to shit. Instead of the events of the game resulting in any kind of growth for him, he simply grows more stubborn. Which, on the one hand is actually solid writing - trauma certainly doesn't inevitably set people on a path to self-betterment - but on the other is annoying - none of it is fun to play.

The turning point for me is at the end, when he's more than happy to sell his people out to slavers simply because he's too... frightened? Tired? Lazy? To rule. And the juxtaposition of him helping individuals but being unable or unwilling to help his people is both jarring and well done by the game. Many people IRL fall into the same kind of thinking and behavior, where they feel compelled to act against the immediate injustice before them but have no desire to do so at scale.

That, plus his incessant whining, makes me loathe him.

I do wonder, however... if you sell him out at the beginning, does he leave the party for good? Become an enemy? I protected him because I felt it was the right thing to do.

• Options
    Roland is an idiot.

My biggest issue with Roland is that he's a coward. He spends the entire game running from responsibility, even in the early chapters before things go to shit. Instead of the events of the game resulting in any kind of growth for him, he simply grows more stubborn. Which, on the one hand is actually solid writing - trauma certainly doesn't inevitably set people on a path to self-betterment - but on the other is annoying - none of it is fun to play.

The turning point for me is at the end, when he's more than happy to sell his people out to slavers simply because he's too... frightened? Tired? Lazy? To rule. And the juxtaposition of him helping individuals but being unable or unwilling to help his people is both jarring and well done by the game. Many people IRL fall into the same kind of thinking and behavior, where they feel compelled to act against the immediate injustice before them but have no desire to do so at scale.

I do wonder, however... if you sell him out at the beginning, does he leave the party for good? Become an enemy? I protected him because I felt it was the right thing to do.
    He is spoiled, and the only reason I wanted to go with Fire Wife’s plan was because I just upgraded Roland, but honestly, Benedicts plan is the best. And allows the biggest opportunity to protect your people, free the enslaved people, and bring Peace.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Roland is an idiot.

You can't actually ditch anyone until that fateful final use of the scales, where any of the standard three choices will cost you someone and set you down a different endgame path.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I finished Octopath. Thought the game was great. I think I did the majority of the things you can do. I missed two of the secret jobs and don't think I feel like battling the secret bosses needed to get them. I ended up getting the Sorcerer and Starseer jobs though before finishing the game.

I think there is one final dungeon and boss to get through but tell me, is it worth it from a story perspective? Does it provide anything worth the trouble?

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I finished Octopath. Thought the game was great. I think I did the majority of the things you can do. I missed two of the secret jobs and don't think I feel like battling the secret bosses needed to get them. I ended up getting the Sorcerer and Starseer jobs though before finishing the game.

I think there is one final dungeon and boss to get through but tell me, is it worth it from a story perspective? Does it provide anything worth the trouble?

It gives a unifying through-line for the 8 travellers. Or so I'm told, because that fight is such munchkin bs that I abandoned hope on it long ago. Twice, in fact, since the same fight is in OT2.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

uh, if you were looking for anything to tie things together, then yes, sort of. it's pretty difficult though, harder than the secret bosses. I think you could probably safely just watch an LP of that part on youtube maybe.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

uh, if you were looking for anything to tie things together, then yes, sort of. it's pretty difficult though, harder than the secret bosses. I think you could probably safely just watch an LP of that part on youtube maybe.

Additionally, one of the big issues with both games is that for some bizarre design reason there is no backline XP/JP option, and both games are borderline hostile with getting caught up on the characters you didn't really use. So it may involve a level of grinding you simply don't want to deal with for a level of benefit on par with simply looking at a Youtube video.

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I spent 95 hours on the game and I'm satisfied with the endings I got for each character. I quite loved my time with it and look forward to playing OT2 after a short break.

I don't feel the need to do the post game stuff at all so I'll take all of your advice! Thanks!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Additionally, one of the big issues with both games is that for some bizarre design reason there is no backline XP/JP option, and both games are borderline hostile with getting caught up on the characters you didn't really use. So it may involve a level of grinding you simply don't want to deal with for a level of benefit on par with simply looking at a Youtube video.

I had much less of a hard time with OT2 on that front. Loading up an Armsmaster to just wail on everything at the start of the round means you can have some dead weight to level up. And honestly, it's kinda worth it when the music kicks in on that final fight and you see how it's about to roll out.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    yeah the music for the final boss gauntlet in OT slaps; I'm sure it's just as good in 2 (haven't played it yet)

the extra chapter in Triangle Strategy they just added was very sweet. a nice little epilogue

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Replaying TS since I never got around to doing a golden route run. Forgot about the pacing issues at the start of the game but I remember it evens out after awhile . Also wow forgot about roland till I started playing and now every time I see him all I can think of is “hey it’s the fucking idiot”

• Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    edited July 2023

This really annoyed me and felt like the game wasn't respecting my time. Ball breaking epic boss battles? Sure, I'm down! Needing to grind if I want to experiment with different parties instead of shared xp? Why do this to the player after 30 whatever years of the genre. I stopped playing 1st Octopath somewhere in the middle. I enjoyed the bosses, the combat, the freedom, but was just feeling too much of a slog. Maybe I will return.

fedaykin666 on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

This really annoyed me and felt like the game wasn't respecting my time. Ball breaking epic boss battles? Sure, I'm down! Needing to grind if I want to experiment with different parties instead of shared xp? Why do this to the player after 30 whatever years of the genre. I stopped playing 1st Octopath somewhere in the middle. I enjoyed the bosses, the combat, the freedom, but was just feeling too much of a slog. Maybe I will return.

The best way to handle Octopath is to get your first 4, do all their stories, then go get the other 4 and do theirs. No grinding required.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    If you rotate consistently I found you don't have to grind unless you want to do the superboss.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    If you rotate consistently I found you don't have to grind unless you want to do the superboss.

Yeah your main will be overpowered but that just means they get to carry the others to xp bonuses.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    So halfway through recruiting everyone and finishing with the golden route, some observations:
    • If you dislike betrayal go ahead and get the hyzatine characters and plot branches out of the way early cause holy shit the rosellans get it hard unless you protect them .
    • Game has a weird power curve for range characters , archers start out supreme but later on mages take off like rockets
    • Speaking of , Julio used to be the mage babysitter in chief but after unlocking decimal his one job is to serve the weird little math robot ( did not know the game had a calculator ,geomancer and time mage it’s like I’m back in fft)
    • The game would be complete in three runs …BUT for some reason the chapter 15 split has a branch that splits again depending on choices and each branch has a character behind them . So you need two separate playthroughs to go defend the roselle village , if you betrayed them earlier you get Travis , if you defended them you get Trish.
    • Rolands writing kinda just takes an abrupt flip and I feel like he was supposed to have a more gradual switch to whatever his plan was but as it is it just feels nonsensical even in universe.
    • I am going to have to grind my absolute ass off to afford everyone’s upgrades and level them up as I want to do the golden route on hard. So far the most efficient way to handle that it seems is low levels spamming potions on each other as the catch up xp is very generous.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    you want some broken shit that's stronger than Julio; Medina using TP physick to give 5 characters 2TP every turn using the AOE heal items + double items.

• Options
    you want some broken shit that's stronger than Julio; Medina using TP physick to give 5 characters 2TP every turn using the AOE heal items + double items.

I probably will once I no longer need heaps of cash to get through these upgrades.

• Options
    And done . Golden route hard mode done , all upgrades , all characters . Got a crown on the new title screen as a cool visual unlock.

Really glad I came back to the game after the lukewarm initial run I had . Had a lot of fun noticed a lot of things I didn’t before . I understand now why the initial three endings were so unsatisfying and see that the golden route was worth it . Also speaking of that route during serenoas speech he says “ …let us cling together” . I see you square , nice reference . Another unintended reference is that the final bosses also shares the same weakness as St. Ajora from its main inspiration, no matter how much hp you give it you leave it weak to being zerged. Case in point Quahog teleported the boss into my formation and we burnt through its hp super fast.

I would have liked to see this game with some form of permanent death mechanic not unlike crystals in FFT . As it is , it’s way too easy to suicide charge everyone knowing you will face no consequences.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Getting into Octopath 2. I've recruited everyone but Castti and done a few chapter 2s. It's been a while but the level requirements feel a bit lower than OT1.

Looking at people's path actions, I think I've come up with a town-sweeping system. Unfortunately I started with Ochette, who has neither Item nor Info path actions, so these are all based on the other 3 party members.

Sweep 1 Info: Osvald/Castti/Hikari. These are all the info people that don't have to fight. Start with Castti & Osvald during the day for the gimmes and percentage-based ones. Switch to night and bribe with Hikari for cleanup.
    Sweep 2 Items: Agnea/Partitio/Throne. Start with Agnea at night for the freebies. Switch to day and either steal or buy, depending.
    Sweep 3(optional): Osvald/Temenos. Go out at night and fight people for the info and items you still don't have and can reasonably get.
    Each town has maybe 1 person you need to knock out to get by. Just see if Throne can knock them out on sweep 2. If not, you can go back with Ochette or whoever. Personally, I'm playing Ochette who's probably the best for this, as she can fight anyone, and one fight per town isn't too annoying.

Need to figure out a relatively low-level area I can run through a few times and get everyone up to level ~20 so their path skills get a bit better and have decent chances of working.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    That seems actually like... 8 passes through the town for what is 98% vendor trash, 1% sidequest items, and half the sidequest items will be too difficult to pick up at the start anyway, necessitating further sweeps.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    That seems actually like... 8 passes through the town for what is 98% vendor trash, 1% sidequest items, and half the sidequest items will be too difficult to pick up at the start anyway, necessitating further sweeps.

Yeah, just do one pass to get what you can for free, maybe consider buying an item if it's really good, and then just come back later when you're way overleveled to scoop up the rest.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Finally getting back to this after Zelda and FFXVI.

Osvald Chapter 3
    Love that Stenvar has a low health move called "Beg for Mercy" that just gives you a thousand leaves.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Beat the final chapter.

The part of the final boss where it seals your skills and items was brutal. Barely got through it, and then had to use my Almighty Olive to revive the six party members who were KO'd.

Took a few shots at the superboss, lost patience and gave up.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Do you need to have played Octopath 1 before 2? I heard 2 is overall better, thought about grabbing it but I've not played 1.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Do you need to have played Octopath 1 before 2? I heard 2 is overall better, thought about grabbing it but I've not played 1.

You do not, no.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Out of sheer boredom and with nothing else to really play, I thought I'd go back and maybe actually play through Octopath 1. I know this game has warts, but gosh darn it I cannot be made to hate it. What's that saying, this game crawled and walked so future games (Octopath 2, Triangle Strategy, Live A Live) could run.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I know there's at least a few of us that bounced off of Octopath 1 and made it at least significantly further into 2. Granted, I never actually finished the game, but I was pretty tired of it by the end of each character's stories, and that's far enough.

ztrEPtD.gif