Options

[Warhammer The Old World] Ere Comes the Waaaagh

TimFijiTimFiji Beast LordHalfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
edited January 31 in Critical Failures
Not really a direct sequel to Warhammer 8th edition, but follows the rank and file style of wargaming in the Warhammer universe.

From G-W:

It is a dark age. An age where mighty armies from powerful nations clash to carve out empires on the field of battle. An age where alliances can be fleeting, and today’s friends can be tomorrow’s foes. It is an age where the Winds of Magic must be mastered, and where brave soldiers clash against endless hordes of enemies. And for those who are victorious, it can be an age of glory, no matter how fleeting.

The Old World, or The World of Legend, is a rich and wondrous setting where countless factions and races seek to protect their homelands and subjugate their foes.

Explore the mysterious planes inhabited by humans, the undead, forces of Chaos, and more, and learn about their history, legends, and rivalries before choosing an army to take to battle.

Where will your adventure take you?

Warhammer: the Old World is a game unlike any other, in which you command mighty armies of Citadel miniatures, relying upon your own tactical ingenuity to achieve victory.

9yxfp7ph3cdy.png

Newly Released Starter Packs focus on Tomb Kings and Bretonnia
e0v08t773jg1.png

And they just announced the Orc and Goblin Tribes but several factions of good and evil are handled in the main rule book

0cns45ae7qmk.png

For older armies, they released legacy army lists to keep you playing

unj9lileovno.png

Click HERE for files

Army building can start here, but it is unfinished!

Have fun and watch those bases! They changed a lot of them!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
    Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    TimFiji on

• Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Reserved for other resources. Hi everyone! I play Beasts and Dwarfs!

• Options
        webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
        I’m building a necrosphynx and it’s fascinating to see the progression in model design and sprue layout between this older model and the new plastic of AoS and 40k.

Amazing model though. Cant wait to paint it up.

Steam ID: Webguy20
        Origin ID: Discgolfer27
        Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
      • Options
        honoverehonovere Registered User regular
        edited January 31
        The High Elven armylist looks so fun. I love the Honours system! Spearelves and archers get the imperial style detachment system. Opal Amulets for everyone! I have a pile of Island of Blood models I could build and paint if I had time!

The last thing I painted for Fantasy ca. 2014:
        yyh6uppuolop.jpg

honovere on
      • Options
        webguy20 wrote: »
        I’m building a necrosphynx and it’s fascinating to see the progression in model design and sprue layout between this older model and the new plastic of AoS and 40k.

Amazing model though. Cant wait to paint it up.

It's a cool model. I have some newish dwarf stuff that is really cool especially compared to the older dwarf models I also have. I'm excited to assemble and paint now that I retired early!

• Options
          Question: models with the grail vow are immune to magical attacks. Does that really mean they can't be harmed at all by magic weapons?

Because you can't not use a magic weapon in close combat. So a model that has one literally can't attack a model with the vow in close combat.

• Options
          honovere wrote: »
          Question: models with the grail vow are immune to magical attacks. Does that really mean they can't be harmed at all by magic weapons?

Because you can't not use a magic weapon in close combat. So a model that has one literally can't attack a model with the vow in close combat.

It does seem that way. I didn't see anything in the FAQs. They're at least expensive units, right?

• Options
            edited February 1
            TimFiji wrote: »

It does seem that way. I didn't see anything in the FAQs. They're at least expensive units, right?

175 for the Bret Duke and 38 for a grail knight.

The Duke is an absolute monster though.

honovere on
          • Options
            Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
            I ordered a bunch of base converters so I can upscale my Dwarfs and Chaos Warriors.
            Really looking forward to seeing the Arcane Journal for the Dwarven Holds. New runes! Entire armies of Hammerers! More artillery than even the Empire can claim! Who knows? Also the dice look great.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
            Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
            DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
          • Options
            I really want to do a infantry focused High elves list. I can make a big unit of Seaguard already and would add like two more blocks of militia with archer detachments. Then I like the idea of parts of the army coming from different kindoms, so you have like a character, a core unit and some special/rare from that kingdom. Like each noble supplying their troops.

Gotta see how much of the old stuff in the pile of shame I can be bothered to reuse and what can be salvaged with new hemets and shields from Elfhead. Although for spearelves, the whole elfhead models might be the way to go.

• Options
            BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
            I really wait and see what they do with the High Elves, I know my brother with is army will do them from Caledor. I would do Nagarythe but their thing is shadow warriors and less to the archers and spearmen so I don't know anymore

• Options
            I made peace with them not getting new militia and Silverhelms.

Maybe we'll finally get a model for Bellannaer. He should be active in the Old World time frame
            Belannaer.jpg

• Options
            The funniest thing about grail knights being immune to magical attacks is probably that they also gain magical attacks.

So if there's ever a fight between two units of them it's all down to the horses kicking each other

• Options
            Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
            edited February 1
            Rulebook wrote:
            Units that are in Marching Column can declare a charge, but cannot make a charge move

wut.

EDIT: Nevermind, Impetuous units have to declare charges when in range so I can see why this needs to be spelled out.

Dr_Keenbean on
            PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
            3DS: 1650-8480-6786
            Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
          • Options
            So they would just stand around doing nothing in that case?

• Options
            Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
            edited February 1

Yeah, they'd have to declare, and the target could react, but they wouldn't be able to actually move.

So don't roll bad on your impetuous roll when within charge range of a unit with missile weapons while in marching formation!

Dr_Keenbean on
            PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
            3DS: 1650-8480-6786
            Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
          • Options

How are they immune to magical attacks?

• Options
            [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
            Mr_Rose wrote: »

The Lady provides them with magical blessings for swearing such a noble vow.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
          • Options

The Lady provides them with magical blessings for swearing such a noble vow.

Right but I’ve read the Vow and it doesn’t say they’re immune to magical attacks.

• Options
            Grail's Vow provides immunity to psychology and to magical attacks, also stubborn, and the blessing of the lady without having to pray

• Options
            edited February 3
            Grail Vow provides three common Special Rules:
            • Immune to Psychology
            • Magical Attacks
            • Stubborn
            If you want to read that comma as joining “Magical Attacks” to “Immune to” then you also have to read the “and” as doing the same thing with “Stubborn” and “immune to stubborn” makes zero sense.

Mr_Rose on
          • Options
            Lol, I must've been way tired, or dumb reading that. It's extremely not what I first read and exactly as you say. Like I managed to read that it's both giving magical attacks and giving immunity to it. I don't even know how I managed that.

Sorry for this silly excursion

• Options
            What’s actually interesting is the subtlety of the way the Lance rules were written. Back in 6th the Lance got 1 point of rank bonus for every row behind the leading dude so ten horsies = 4 ranks = maxed out +3 rank bonus.
            Now it’s a flat +1 for being in Lance formation plus rank bonus only for rows that have the required width based on the unit type. So for heavy cavalry (4 wide) that’s the fourth “rank” i.e. a ten horse unit… on the other hand, that’s also the max rank bonus because heavy cav. caps at +1 anyway…

It speaks to a very joined-up design process, which I like a lot. Same as how the Dwarf Ironbreakers and Irondrakes can form detachments now, because that’s a common special rule rather than an Empire exclusive. Bodes well for the future of the game imho.

• Options
            edited February 3
            Lance feels more like minor bonus/side grade now to close order.
            More attacks to the front while narrower, easier an faster wheeling. But also slightly harder to get the rank bonus and huge flanks.

The +1 for just being in formation is something close order units get, too iirc. Otherwise open order would just be better, I think. But I have to reread the unit types a bit more , there's a bunch of subtle differences

Another question:
            I'm looking at Oaken Shield from battle magic and shield of saphery from high magic. The latter obviously has the advantage of being a ranged spell instead of only on the caster and their unit. On the other hand shield of saphery only lasts until the end of the turn and removes any other enchantment on the unit. Oaken Shield is 7+, saphery is 9+.

Am I missing something? Is the range advantage so good that not lasting into the enemy's turn and removing other buffs on the unit and being harder to cast is still worth it? Or is shield of saphery just kinda bad?

honovere on
          • Options
            edited February 6

Yeah, they'd have to declare, and the target could react, but they wouldn't be able to actually move.

So don't roll bad on your impetuous roll when within charge range of a unit with missile weapons while in marching formation!

Would the Drilled ability help in that case? It let'S you Redress Ranks before the move. Does a charge count as a move for that? You cant reform during the charge, but Drilled might be fore that?

found a snag in my idea to make an archmage a warden of saphery (who can cast magic while wearing armour) and give them magical armour. you can only take magical armour if the unit has the option to take mundane armour, and only can take magic shields if they have the option to take mundane shields. boooh.

Well at least that means dragon mages have one advantage. they come with light armour, so they can take magical armour (but no magical shields)

honovere on
          • Options
            Another question:
            I'm looking at Oaken Shield from battle magic and shield of saphery from high magic. The latter obviously has the advantage of being a ranged spell instead of only on the caster and their unit. On the other hand shield of saphery only lasts until the end of the turn and removes any other enchantment on the unit. Oaken Shield is 7+, saphery is 9+.

Am I missing something? Is the range advantage so good that not lasting into the enemy's turn and removing other buffs on the unit and being harder to cast is still worth it? Or is shield of saphery just kinda bad?
            I tend to agree that something is a bit off there. The removal of other enchantments is actually a penalty considering you can’t cast enchantments on the enemy so you’d only be removing other buffs you already applied. So yeah, not lasting into the enemy turn is weird; when do you expect to take damage in your own turn? Combat? Maybe a miscast?

• Options
            edited February 6
            It's only use is really casting in on a unit that's charging into combat.

There's a few more spells in the lores that are obviously way better than their counter parts from other lores and easier to cast at the same time. Like the variance in the assailment spells is huge

Another rule detail I missed before: identical special rules (X) explicitly stack, unless the the rules say they don't.
            So 3 loadstones and a banner of arcane protection in the same unit? Magic resistance (6).
            Arrows of Isha, bow of averlorn, and razor standart? Shooting arrows with armour bane(4)

honovere on
          • Options
            Pretty sure magic resistance is one that explicitly doesn’t stack, or, yeah, it would get heckin’ silly.

• Options
            edited February 6
            Ah, missed that.

Hmmmm, unless I missed that too, I can't find a limit to the number of different spells a wizard can cast. So anything that gives you more spells would be pretty good?

honovere on
          • Options
            It’s one attempt per spell, so yes; an extra spell is nearly as good as an extra level. This also means you basically have to have a caster somewhere because the one fated dispel/turn just isn’t going to cut it.

• Options
            I saw this online to play: Seems shady : https://universalbattle2.com/

• Options
              NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
              TimFiji wrote: »
              I saw this online to play: Seems shady : https://universalbattle2.com/

universal battle is fine, it's just old. So old in fact it used to be used back in 6th-7th edition

• Options
              The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
              I'm p sure you can just use table top simulator now and steam workshop probably has what your looking for or mod it your self

icGJy2C.png
            • Options
              Looking a bit at the lores and I'm not sure about them? There doesn't seem to be that much difference between many of them, thematically or with the types of spells?
              pretty much everyone gets a missile, a vortex, a conveyance, and one or two hexes and enchantments.

The average difficulty ranges a bit though. Battle Magic on the low end and High Magic on the high end (even more so if adding Lore of Saphery). Not that High/Saphery necessarily has the better spells, other lores have very comparable spells for some of them but easier to cast.

High/Saphery doesn't even have a single 7+ spell and out of ten spell only two are 8+. The rest are 9+/10+ and the only 11+ spell I've seen so far.

Which makes it kinda useless for lower level mages? Or Maybe the advantage of the rerolls from Lileath's Blessing is baked into High/Saphery?

• Options
              Remember way back in 2022 when Cathay was first shown off and it was said on Warcom they would not only show up in TW but also the Old World?

Well, not anymore it seems
              Fans of Warhammer: The Old World should note that there aren’t any current plans to bring Kislev or Grand Cathay to the tabletop for the foreseeable future.
              https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/22/total-war-warhammer-3-reinforcements-arrive-en-masse/

• Options
              Yes, but the foreseeable future is 3 months and the not-really-unforeseeable future is 18-36 months. So 2026 at the earliest which is fine.

• Options
              MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
              So, lore wise, this is going with the whole "Skaven blew up the world" thing never happening?

• Options
              Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
              MrBody wrote: »
              So, lore wise, this is going with the whole "Skaven blew up the world" thing never happening?

No, it's going hundreds of years back in time. The world blew up in 2528 whereas the new game is set in 2276.

MhCw7nZ.gif
            • Options
              Some of the Warcom articles make it sound like the long term plan is to maybe slow roll into the great war against chaos and asavar kul. But even that is about 25 years in universe time away

• Options
              By the time that happens hopefully they’ll have gotten around to reexamining the “Cathay” thing because that is the one army I’ve wanted in Warhammer for over thirty years now. Plus the TWWIII incarnation is pretty awesome. Giant terracotta warrior golems, dragon generals, hot air balloon cavalry and all.

• Options
              Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
              By the time that happens hopefully they’ll have gotten around to reexamining the “Cathay” thing because that is the one army I’ve wanted in Warhammer for over thirty years now. Plus the TWWIII incarnation is pretty awesome. Giant terracotta warrior golems, dragon generals, hot air balloon cavalry and all.

You could probably stick in that version of Cathay into AoS and lean even more into the fun / crazy stuff, and then not have to worry about everything having to rank up / be on a square base.

PSN Fleety2009