Options

From the world of original ideas: Ultimate Band!

darleysamdarleysam On my way toUKRegistered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
C_67_articles_80146_BodyWeb_contentblock_0_Image.jpg

?

ultimateband_2.jpg.jpg

!

Taken from Eurogamer:
Disney has whipped the wrappers off a new rhythm-action game called Ultimate Band.

It's aimed at teenagers and younger and should be out on the DS and Wii this autumn.

The concept is remarkably similar to Guitar Hero: you take a rock band from zero to hero replicating the music on-screen by using your controller.

However, there are no peripherals, so you will be using either the stylus or Wiimote to pretend you are playing drums, guitar, or singing.

"Ultimate Band invites kids, tweens and teens to join in the jam session," said Craig Relyea, marketing man at Disney and speaker of lingo that we don't fully understand.

"And whether they choose guitar, drums, bass or front man, members don't need to buy costly, single-function peripherals to play their way through Ultimate Band's deep song list, dynamic venues, and customizable characters.

"The Wii Remote and DS stylus are the only tools they'll need to reach rock stardom in Ultimate Band," he added.

It boasts hit songs spanning back to the 60s, and it seems only the DS version will make use of online play where you can "engage" with friends

Sounds brilliant. Thanks Disney!

forumsig.png
darleysam on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Who the hell are tweens?

urahonky on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The concept is remarkably similar to Guitar Hero:
    What about this makes it not Guitar Hero?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Who the hell are tweens?

Products of a decadent and shallow society.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    Who the hell are tweens?
    A demographic the suits have been trying to push since 2002 or so.

I wasn't expecting such a clean UI (graphically, not functionally), but the hideous uh...rest of the game makes up for it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    The concept is remarkably similar to Guitar Hero:
    What about this makes it not Guitar Hero?

That you're not playing with fake instruments!

Apparently fine with Phoenix Games plundering all their ideas for their own 'games', Disney are now happy to peek over Harmonix's shoulder to see what they're up to.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Who the hell are tweens?

I see.

Fuck Disney.

e: Racist bitches working there.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    You have no idea how much I was wishing this was going to be a Phoenix Games ripoff of Rock Band.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If they put anything involving Hannah Montana in this, it will be fucking huge.

Much as we try to ignore them, "tweens" (shudder) have become a gigantic buying force.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    You have no idea how much I was wishing this was going to be a Phoenix Games ripoff of Rock Band.

Oh, don't worry, it'll be along soon enough.
    Except you'll just have a 'puzzle game' where you have to put all the pieces together, and then some animated movie about a band playing a show. It will be badly dubbed.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ya know, the idea isn't that bad. I imagine you hold the remote and nunchuck "air guitar" stlye. The buttons on the nunchuck are like your fret buttons, and the move the remote in a strumming motion.

Obviously, with only 4 fret options, its very simplified (even the easiest settings in RB and GH give you 6 options), but its target market is younger kids who might find our growed up gitar gamez to be too difficult. Then when they get a little older, and they want a more challenging game, and mama doesn't mind if they listen to the Strokes, they can graduate to GH and RB. Preferrably RB, since GH is shit nowadays.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I like the singing idea... Oh wait, no... No I don't.

urahonky on
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Looks like it might be kinda fun. Depends on the track list, I guess.

W2 on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So this is likely going to be filled with Hannah Montana, Tokio Hotel and The Jonas Brothers or shit like that. Probably not very interesting.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Who the hell are tweens?

For some odd reason, many children have a deep resentment of their childrenness. The invention of the phrase "tween" is a godsend for these little tykes, who can now shirk the title of child a few years earlier.

For marketing purposes, it is essential to almost invariably follow the word with the phrase, "and teens," implying that even the older kids, I mean, "young adults," are interested in the products, which makes it even more desirable to the 10-12 crowd. But in truth, no one over 12 would be caught dead buying it.

Dirty on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Dirty wrote: »
    Ya know, the idea isn't that bad. I imagine you hold the remote and nunchuck "air guitar" stlye. The buttons on the nunchuck are like your fret buttons, and the move the remote in a strumming motion.

Obviously, with only 4 fret options, its very simplified (even the easiest settings in RB and GH give you 6 options), but its target market is younger kids who might find our growed up gitar gamez to be too difficult. Then when they get a little older, and they want a more challenging game, and mama doesn't mind if they listen to the Strokes, they can graduate to GH and RB. Preferrably RB, since GH is shit nowadays.

Nope, GH at least (not played Rock Band yet) gives you 5 frets, and you only use the first 3 for easy or 4 for medium.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What I mean is, this Disney game has 4 options, or combinations (C button, Z button, C+Z, neither). On easy mode, GH/RB has 3 buttons, but there are 6 possible combinations (G, R, Y, G+R, G+Y, R+Y).

Dirty on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is Warren Spector on board?

LewieP on
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    So this is likely going to be filled with Hannah Montana, Tokio Hotel and The Jonas Brothers or shit like that. Probably not very interesting.

That was the downfall of Elite Beat Agents, for me, the tracks by Avril Lavigne et al. weren't all that fun to play.

W2 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What was wrong with the term "pre-teen"? Didn't sound made-up enough?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    What I mean is, this Disney game has 4 options, or combinations (C button, Z button, C+Z, neither). On easy mode, GH/RB has 3 buttons, but there are 6 possible combinations (G, R, Y, G+R, G+Y, R+Y).

Ohhh, got you, fair enough.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    He said it was an "established property" that he was "amazed that they let him work on", so it'd have to be something old.

I'm holding out for Aladdin. Think about it: sneaking through a massive and detailed Arabian city. At night. While singing. The Genie would be wearing sunglasses the whole time. You know you'd buy it.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Lork wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    He said it was an "established property" that he was "amazed that they let him work on", so it'd have to be something old.

I'm holding out for Aladdin. Think about it: sneaking through a massive and detailed Arabian city. At night. While singing. The Genie would be wearing sunglasses the whole time. You know you'd buy it.

Do you:
    1) trust me?
    2) think this is safe?
    3) have crabs?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Who could you sing with a wiimote?

Besides, GH is on Wii. Disney could have ponied up a little cash for propietary rights and gave the option of a guitar. A multi-million dollar company, and it's too much a hassle to use GH periphials.

90% chance of seeing the naked brothers band. 100% them not being naked.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

Nope, GH at least (not played Rock Band yet) gives you 5 frets, and you only use the first 3 for easy or 4 for medium.

His point was that you could play chords, so that the easiest game would have the first three frets, and then three more possible chords you could play with those frets. This game apparently does not have chords of any sort.

Garthor on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    What was wrong with the term "pre-teen"? Didn't sound made-up enough?

This is the 21st century, we have no time for two syllable words!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Garthor wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

His point was that you could play chords, so that the easiest game would have the first three frets, and then three more possible chords you could play with those frets. This game apparently does not have chords of any sort.

Yup, he's explained it, and no headlocks or pinkbellies were exchanged.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    SoulGate wrote: »

Besides, GH is on Wii. Disney could have ponied up a little cash for propietary rights and gave the option of a guitar. A multi-million dollar company, and it's too much a hassle to use GH periphials.

Miss the point much? Their target market are kids who don't play Guitar Hero because; a) it's too difficult; b) it's too expensive; c) mommy doesn't let them play T-rated games; or d) all of the above.

Dirty on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Also, as of this post, there is no Rock Band available for Wii. See an niche, fill a niche?

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    SoulGate wrote: »

Actually 0% - the Naked Brother Band are a Nickolodeon property - Disney would be Jonas Brothers, Hannah Montana and High School Musical.

EDIT: Yes, it's sad that I know that but I have a 3 yr old that watches Disney and Nick...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is madness!

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »

You would be wrong, actually, though I don't blame you for the guess. Game Informer link.
    While the Wii version of Disney Interactive Studios’ new Ultimate Band game might feature scrolling notes and players miming out musical performances, comparisons between it and other music games aren’t necessarily fair. “Aside from the peripheral, we’ve always considered those to be more of a sim versus a game,” says Fall Line Studios senior producer Tim Huntsman. “Our focus has always been on, ‘Let’s make a game. Let’s focus on the fun and the physicality of what it’s like to try to play air guitar.’”

In Ultimate Band, players won’t be strumming along to fake guitars or pounding virtual skins—they’ll be playing along to licensed tracks with their Wii remotes and nunchuks (or the stylus on the DS version). And don’t let the Disney name throw you off—players won’t be jamming along to “Bibbity-Bobbity-Boo” or “When You Wish Upon a Star.” We got an exclusive peek at what players can expect when the game ships this holiday season. Ultimate Band’s tracklist includes covers of Devo’s new-wave classic “Whip It” and The Raconteurs’ “Steady as She Goes.” See, family-oriented gaming doesn’t necessarily have to leave its musical tastes at the door.

The number of tracks is still currently under wraps, due to the arcane workings of music licensing, but Huntsman is shooting for as many songs as possible. “We’re gamers, like everybody else, and we obviously think that more is more in this case, so we’re trying to get as many as we can—but that final number is up in the air.”

If players are using standard controllers, how does it work? Funny you should ask. The guitar parts feature four possible note combinations. As the symbols scroll past, players “strum” the remote up and down while pressing various button combinations on the nunchuk—C, Z, C and Z simultaneously and nothing. “The idea with the guitar is—I don’t know if you’ve ever seen Joe Cocker, the singer,” explains Huntsman. “If you’ve ever watched him sing, he’s playing two-finger air guitar while he’s doing his little freakouts for lack of a better word. And it was kind of that idea.”

Bass players have something extra to look forward to. “Bass is not the dumb version of the guitar,” says Huntsman, and Ultimate Band treats the low-end instrument differently to punctuate that philosophy. Bass players have three possible button combinations to tussle with (C, Z and C plus Z), but they actually have six possible notes on their on-screen charts. As Huntsman explained to us, those additional six notes are accessed by moving the nunchuck to simulate sliding your hands up and down the neck of the instrument.

Virtual drums are something that Wii owners have been clamoring for since the system’s controls were first announced, and Ultimate Band is going to deliver. While the Wii isn’t capable of tracking a position-based kit, with designated zones for snares, high hats, tom toms and other mainstays, Huntsman’s team has come up with a solid solution. Drummers will use the remote and nunchuk like drumsticks, tapping out the beat as notes descend onto the screen. Additionally, notes will come in from the sides. “For drums, the basic idea has been you have your main rhythm, your kick drum, snare, high-hat combination would be on those down hits, and the side hits would be cymbals, like if you go to the ride during a solo or something like that,” Huntsman explains. The team toyed with the idea of having different button combinations mapped to specific percussion instruments, but Huntsman said it got too complicated. “And like I said, we’re a game, not a sim.”

Huntsman isn’t talking too specifically about the frontman’s game mechanic, but he did tell us about the idea behind it. Basically, your job is to get the crowd excited about your band’s performance. You’ll notice it’s called a frontman and not a lead singer. Nobody will have to endure your off-key wailings in Ultimate Band. Instead, frontmen will stalk the stage, waving and punching their fists in time with the music. There will be some more high-voltage performance stuff, too, but we’ll have to be patient to learn more.

Since Ultimate Band is being designed to be a game instead of a sim, Fall Line has added in a series of specialty notes and—for lack of a better term—a trick system to keep gameplay interesting. On drums, for example, special roll and fill notes will appear periodically, with a number superimposed on them. That’s the player’s cue to whack the drum as many times as possible during a limited amount of time. Once the specified number is hit, extra hits count as bonus points toward the score. Hammer-ons, whammy notes and other similar flourishes will follow similar mechanics on other instruments.

While we got a solid “no comment” on online gameplay, the Wii version will support single and multiplayer gameplay. A story mode lets players go through a rags to riches adventure alone or with friends, unlocking new songs, venues and character customization options along the way. If you just want to jam with friends, a practice mode will be available, too.

On the DS front, Ultimate Band forgoes the licensed-track focus, with an emphasis on actual jamming. Rather than having your performances ape those of a prerecorded track, the DS version lets players select backing tracks and chords, letting them perform their own music. Fall Line was behind last year’s Hannah Montana: Music Jam game, which featured an addictive, but limited, version of the same idea. Unlike that earlier title, players will be able to customize their own chords, while the game works to ensure that notes complement one another. In other words, even if you don’t know anything about chord progressions, you still won’t hit awful notes that make your teeth sting.

Huntsman says his goal was to make a game that he could play and be challenged by as a long-time gamer, while still being able to enjoy it with his 12- and 6-year-old kids. It’s still a long while away, but the emphasis on gameplay and decision not to just clone stuff we’ve seen before already gets us excited to learn more about Ultimate Band. We’ll let you know more about the game as details are made available.

It looks and sounds moderately interesting, though simplistic. It's not really angling for the hard-core rhythm gamer, but it looks like an all-access music title and it's not really as rip-offish as it might have sounded at first. :^::^: for Raconteurs, though!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Are these going to be the actual songs or like that "Kidz Bop" shit they advertise on Disney?

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Sounds like they have solid ideas for guitar and drums. The changes for the bass player seem pointless though. And the frontman idea is stupid. They could have made bass exactly like guitar and no one would have cared. They should ditch the frontman and give his Wii Remote to the drummer (drumming with two remotes would be cooler than the remote/nunchuck combo).

Dirty on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    Are these going to be the actual songs or like that "Kidz Bop" shit they advertise on Disney?

Someone on another board I'm on (and am admin for) is working on this game, and he assures me that they are steering far away from this Disney-brand crap. Additionally, he mentions that they also announced "My Generation" (The Who) and "Fell in Love with a Girl" (White Stripes). Everything appears to be covered (not unlike Donkey Konga, I guess), but anything would be preferable to Dev2.O.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »

Someone on another board I'm on (and am admin for) is working on this game, and he assures me that they are steering far away from this Disney-brand crap. Additionally, he mentions that they also announced "My Generation" (The Who) and "Fell in Love with a Girl" (White Stripes). Everything appears to be covered (not unlike Donkey Konga, I guess), but anything would be preferable to Dev2.O.

Yeah but still my question is who are they going to use for the covers or are they actually going to pay out for the original songs?

Because I can see them doing something like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soobh7NRujo

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It's cool because they spelt kids with a 'z'

LewieP on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tweens = 10-12 year old kids, give or take a year.

Zek on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Kidz Bop commercials are endlessly entertaining.

I've failed to see one yet that didn't feature a song with themes or lyrics that were entirely inappropriate for kidz.

But hey, as long as a chorus of kidz is singing it, NiN's 'Closer' is a perfect song for children!

Edit: Inappropriate 's's.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Nickle wrote: »

I've failed to see one yet that didn't feature a song with themes or lyrics that were entirely inappropriate for kidz.

But hey, as long as a chorus of kidz is singing it, NiN's 'Closer' is a perfect song for children!

I WANT TO HUG YOU LIKE AN ANIMAL

I WANT YOU TO FEEL IT ON THE INSIDE

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Nickle wrote: »

I WANT TO HUG YOU LIKE AN ANIMAL

I WANT YOU TO FEEL IT ON THE INSIDE

You let me hug and kiss you, you let me hug and kiss you
    You let me hug and kiss you, you let me hug and kiss you

LewieP on