As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Well, it used to be safe ...

124»

• Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Getting off of edible things, we all used to think Sesame Street was safe. Then a few months back the evening news showed clips of kids jumping on box springs and following strangers home for milk and cookies. Oscar wasn't a grouch - he was a chronically depressed hobo by today's standards. Cookie Monster had diabetes.

All that encouraged PBS to put a warning label on certain Sesame Street DVDs.
    Apparently, the show was originally envisioned in a ghetto.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    On Dasani (I think, I my have the brand wrong): While it is tap water, it's Mass. tap water, which is subject to the most stringent regulations, some of the most extensive filtering, and has been found to be the cleanest tap water. The watershed most of the water comes from is on national park proportions (though I was disconcerted by the fact that they showed an eagle flying over the water in the shed when talking about nature [birdie, birdie in the sky, why you do that in my eye?]).
    Most tap water is processed, though private well are not subject to any regulation and I'm not sure about town wells.

I still drink bottled, though, for the simple reason that I can refrigerate it, and cold water tastes cleaner.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    As a resident of Massachusetts, I am positive that we do not in fact have the best tap water.

Hachface on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Portland has great tap water.

Don't take clean drinking water for granted, people. It's a very very nice thing to have.

Medopine on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My water comes out icy cold from the tap. No refrigeration necessary.

Also, both Dasani and Aquafina are made from local tap water, so it depends where the stuff you have is processed.

shryke on
  • Options
    fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    On Dasani (I think, I my have the brand wrong): While it is tap water, it's Mass. tap water, which is subject to the most stringent regulations, some of the most extensive filtering, and has been found to be the cleanest tap water. The watershed most of the water comes from is on national park proportions (though I was disconcerted by the fact that they showed an eagle flying over the water in the shed when talking about nature [birdie, birdie in the sky, why you do that in my eye?]).
    Most tap water is processed, though private well are not subject to any regulation and I'm not sure about town wells.

I still drink bottled, though, for the simple reason that I can refrigerate it, and cold water tastes cleaner.

As said above, both Pepsi and Coke make their bottled water from the local water supply. So far as I know, municipal water is pulled from a source and then treated before pumped to the public. They don't just draw it out of the lake.

If you like refrigerated water, you might look into a water pitcher. You can also get a couple of bicycle water bottles(or used bottles) and keep them filled in the fridge, that is what I do. This is way cheaper and does not make for a bunch of plastic waste. If you really have a hankering for "purified" water you can get a Pure filter or buy water in bulk from the local WholeFoods(assuming you have one near by)

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    fuelish wrote: »

As said above, both Pepsi and Coke make their bottled water from the local water supply. So far as I know, municipal water is pulled from a source and then treated before pumped to the public. They don't just draw it out of the lake.

If you like refrigerated water, you might look into a water pitcher. You can also get a couple of bicycle water bottles(or used bottles) and keep them filled in the fridge, that is what I do. This is way cheaper and does not make for a bunch of plastic waste. If you really have a hankering for "purified" water you can get a Pure filter or buy water in bulk from the local WholeFoods(assuming you have one near by)

^^ This.

In general, bottled water (especially of the Dasani/Aquafina variety) is both a waste of money and creates unnecessary trash. I do the pitcher/bottle thing, and when I lived in an area that had shit tap water (tasted horrible) I bought filtered water and would re-use the jugs. New we just have a faucet-mounted filter, which does a pretty capable job.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

^^ This.

In general, bottled water (especially of the Dasani/Aquafina variety) is both a waste of money and creates unnecessary trash. I do the pitcher/bottle thing, and when I lived in an area that had shit tap water (tasted horrible) I bought filtered water and would re-use the jugs. New we just have a faucet-mounted filter, which does a pretty capable job.

I guess I should remember that local news reports in a local way.

It seems faucet filters harbor bacteria more dangerous that what's being filtered out. Also, reusing the jugs is unhealthy because they're not made out of a plastic that is safe for it.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

It seems faucet filters harbor bacteria more dangerous that what's being filtered out. Also, reusing the jugs is unhealthy because they're not made out of a plastic that is safe for it.

Ah. The more you know, I guess.

Well the amount of plastic we waste bottling what is basically tap water is still pretty retarded.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    While this is true, the speed of emergence of the immunity in the mosquito is only really fast enough to save the mosquito as a species, not the parasite that causes Malaria. It can't live more than a few months in the blood, so by hugely reducing mosquito populations for a few years you can almost eradicate it. Which is why there are still mosquitos in the south but no malaria.
    That's not true. You kept it out for a few years, sure, but its re-entering the region. the only way that would have worked is if everywhere on the planet was sprayed consistently at once, which is impossible. Its actually pretty hard to wipe out a physically small and numerous species.
    Of course no treatment can work in a vacuum, the eradication in the US worked due to a combination of DDT, swamp drainage, education, screens, quinine and so forth. Quite possibly with enough dedication you could get rid of it with just the physical factors rather than medical ones provided you kept up the application over many years even as infection rates began to fall.
    And the new technologies. I'd leave swamp draining out of it though, that causes a whole lot more other problems than it fixes. Terrible, terrible practice.
    I'd have to agree, since they drained a swamp to make room for Washington DC.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

^^ This.

That is why I use a glass pitcher and bike bottles. Bicycle water bottles are made from LDPE, it does not harbor bacteria, can handle a lot of abuse and does not use bisphenol in its production(Bisphenol mimics estrogen, there are concerns that polycarb water bottles may leach pisphenol into the water. The only study I have seen actually showing leaching involved heating the bottle)

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I miss my old well water... greatest tasting water in the world and always nice and cold.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I double-filter. One on the faucet, one in the pitcher. It is slower and more expensive because you run through filters twice as fast, but it really takes the "chemically" taste out of the water here.

Also, I rotate the faucet units and pitchers and clean them up bi-weekly... it keeps things from getting sour with food splashes and mold.

GungHo on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Toys made in China used to be safe. To parents who shop for their tots, all Chinese-made toys have become toxic overnight. Buy American.

I found it really hilarious how Foxy brand lettuce used to be doing well but then 30 people were ill from e. coli or somethingarather and another 3 died and that nearly crippled the company. Thirty three people get a bad reaction and consumers notice. 300,000 die in auto wrecks annually and consumers keep on drivin'. This is 2008. Where's my safer car with standard side airbags, perfected ABS, and super duper composite frames?

Remember that squad car in the movie Demolition Man - the one with ten airbags and flame retardant foam? We should have those cars by now.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Remember that squad car in the movie Demolition Man - the one with ten airbags and flame retardant foam? We should have those cars by now.

Or one could actually need driving skill to get a licence.

Every time I hear about another stupid kid(http://www.autoblog.com/tag/BMW%20crash%20florida/ You need to include the incredibly stupid fucking parents for giving their incredibly stupid fucking kid the car in the first place. This also shows money does not equal brains) killing themselves because 90% of a driving exam is irrelevant to actual driving, I figure good riddance.

fuelish on