Options

Three wishes

The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
We all know the story, the Genie in the Lamp gives you any three wishes. I was in an introspective mood yesterday, and began to actually think, if something like that ACTUALLY happened, what would I do? Would I go the selfish route? Try and help the world? Or some combination of the two?

First, I'm going by the assumption the entity had some ground rules against loopholes, the typical "no wishing for more wishes" shtick. And I'd also assume that the entity was benign, willing to fulfill these wishes in a positive way, and not about to twist my words or exploit my own loopholes into some sort of nightmare scenario (think the sketch from the Simpsons Halloween Special 2, only serious). I'm also going under the assumption that they won't severely mess with the laws of reality or nature in an obvious way to fulfill these needs, I.e. changing some fundamental rule of existence to make it happen.

That being said, after some thought, I think I'd phrase my wishes this way:
1. No one in the world will die of anything other than natural causes. (I'm going by that "no twisted intent" thing here. I think this is a nice way to cure a good portion of the world's problems in one shot. War, disease, deadly poverty, all taken care of.)
2. My own guaranteed financial stability for the rest of my life. (purely selfish, but think of all the worries that immediately gets rid of) and,
3. A guaranteed love for the rest of my life to share this with (because even if I was married or whatever, the guarantee would still be good insurance)

I considered also asking for the same control over time and space that the Genie/entity has, but opted out of it, as I wouldn't want that on my shoulders for ethical and emotional reasons. (If you could mold the world, everything around you would feel fake and hollow)

So, what would yours be?

Oh, one more thing: a childhood memory made me just now youtube the scene from Aladdin where the genie explains his rules, I'm going to say those rules don't apply here, because they suck and its more fun without them.:P (If you're interested, they were no killing people, no making people fall in love, no resurrecting the dead).

The Last Gent on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Immortality would be my first wish.

Then world peace, or some hippie bullshit like that.

And I'd save the third one in case anything came up.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I want to live forever, with the assurance that each year I live will be better than the last. I would also, I dunno, be the shadowy secret ruler of the world or something.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mind Control. That's the first thing that came into my head.
    Also, would the power to alter reality be a bit too much?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Psychic powers, and all that it entails - telepathy, telekinesis, etc.

Teleportation, a la Jumper.

And lastly, an infinite wardrobe.

You gotta look fly when you're travelling around the world!

Alpine on
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Power. Unlimited power—or at least as much as the genie can grant. Then, assuming I'm not so powerful as to render the genie obsolete, I'd go for immortality/invulnerability (I'd have to think carefully on the phrasing so as to get both), and knowledge of a viable means of faster-than-light travel (if it exists).

Actually, I'd probably put "unlimited power" last if I knew for a fact that it wouldn't be enough to grant me the others for free, and put "warp drive plz" in first place.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The ability to understand every language would be my first wish, as it's been my standard wish for a couple of years now (ever since I hit the wall in learning French).

Then the ability to change my appearance and at will, just for laughs. That could also potentially confer immortality, as I could just keep on changing into younger forms.

I'd like to think that I'd then use my last wish to make the world a better place, but there's always the nagging feeling that I'd just be making it a better place for me. Do I change something political, ecological, or what?

I would wish for a cheap, renewable and versatile energy source, but that might go against the whole laws of reality thing. If it doesn't, then that. If it's impossible, then I wish for a button on my keyboard which allows me to slap people over the Internet. I'd then spend all my time on Youtube, reading the comments.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The ability to travel back in time would probably be my only wish, saving the other two until I thought of something. Maybe endless, comfortable wealth from a purely selfish perspective.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    wawkinwawkin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    1. Unlimited, Self-Controlled Rejuvenation (Like Randall Savage from JLU cartoons)
    2. Very Strong Telepathy (Prof X's ability)
    3. Save last wish for emergencies or set the djinni free to prevent anyone else benefitting

wawkin on
    Talkin to the robbery expert.

"This is where I say something profound and you bow, so lets just skip to your part."
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    wawkin wrote: »
    1. Unlimited, Self-Controlled Rejuvenation
    2. Very Strong Telepathy
    3. Save last wish for emergencies or set the djinni free to prevent anyone else benefitting

Second part of 3 is kinda dickish.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    AstnsAstns Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hmm

1.) Immortality, with the addition of having the ability to die at will.

2.) Human perfection, ie all 'natural' characteristics (5 senses, intelligence, organs etc) being improved to the highest possible human level.

3.) I'll also jump on the time travel bandwagon.

Astns on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    1) The ability to wish for more wishes

2) More wishes

3) A pony and a plastic rocket

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh, I guess I should add, that for whatever reason, the Genie/Djinni/entity wouldn't benefit from being set "free" or whatever, granting wishes is an integral part of its existence, so there's no need to waste one on that for any altruistic (go and be freeee!) or malicious (no one else can benefit!) reasons.

And thus far, it surprises me how few people do anything for the rest of the world, you guys are selfish.:P

Edit: To the above, read the first post, there's no allowance for "infinite wish" loopholes.

The Last Gent on
  • Options
    The SnertThe Snert Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I wish to be...

AN ALL-POWERFUL GENIE!!!!!

The Snert on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's mainly because it's tricky to know what's best for the world. There are a few ways to do it:

1) Wish that the world was self-aware.
    2) Give the lamp to the world.
    3) Hope that the world doesn't wipe out humanity as its wish.

Or:

1) Wish for the knowledge of which wish would do the most good for humanity.
    2) Wish for it.
    3) Selfish wish.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'd wish the loopholes into existence, silly :P

Grid System on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    And thus far, it surprises me how few people do anything for the rest of the world, you guys are selfish.:P

Pfft, other people can pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and make/find their own wish-granting genie or something like that.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    O.o now THATS interesting....could that be done? My instinct says no....but still....clever.

Edit: replying to GS.

The Last Gent on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    1. No one in the world will die of anything other than natural causes. (I'm going by that "no twisted intent" thing here. I think this is a nice way to cure a good portion of the world's problems in one shot. War, disease, deadly poverty, all taken care of.)

Depending on your philosophical viewpoint, this may entail changing fundamental universal laws or whatnot. It would require massive mind control/loss of free will forever. Assuming nearly no limits you could get rid of disease/famine/etc, but war is unlikely.

In any case... without much thought put into it

1. Telepathy... cause I'm a freaking head case and always want to know what people are thinking
    2. immortality maybe... but then again I suspect I'd just end up bored for thousands of years instead of dozens.
    3. some sort of massive knowledge thing... like perfectly being able to recall anything I've ever learned/seen/etc... though combined with immortality I suppose that has the potential to lead to crazy-town...

Yeah... I'm all about me... though with telepathy, perfect recall, and forever to figure things out maybe I can solve world hunger/peace :)

Daenris on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    1) Guaranteed financial stability, tied to, but not entirely dependent upon, a job I truly enjoy doing and am good at, the success at which will open further avenues of optional enjoyable employment opportunities.
    2) Guaranteed life-long (shared) love.
    3) For my great-grandchild to become Presiding Leader over Earth and all its Colonies and declare my birthday a galactic holiday. :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

You really need to think this one through. Even with the "no twisted intent" clause, it not only doesn't solve all of the problems you think it does, it potentially increases the general level of suffering.

Do you really think not being able to kill someone is going to stop war? I don't. If anything, it'll make war more common because the powers that be don't have the whole "our soldiers are dying" to contend with. However, people are still going to get shot at, some of those shots are going to hit, and they'll be in some serious pain and maybe even lose an arm or leg.

Similar arguments for the other things you seem to think you're going to solve with this one.

My wishes? Let's see...

I think first would be to increase the general level of empathy in the world... I'm not sure how I'd word it, but I'm not talking about an average here, I mean each person should care more for other people than they currently do.

Second, I'd wish for everyone to be more open-minded and accepting of those who are different from themselves. (so long as nobody is being harmed, of course)

Third, because I suppose I'd want at least one selfish wish, I'd wish for sufficient income to keep myself and my family comfortable for the rest of our lives while allowing us to pursue personally fulfilling activities.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd probably wish for Superman's powers. Dude's got it made. Super strength, flight, x-ray vision, heat vision, impervious to just about anything.

I'd probably save my other 2 wishes for a while and see how the Superman thing went.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    1. Fix minor problems with my body.

2. Comfortable wealth that will last until my death by extremely old age.

3. (Would have been the power to have any woman I want, but I'm married now, so...) For folks to just get along.

Tach on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    For the first, I'd wish for a few hundred million dollars. I don't want to have so much money that I can do things like donate it or be a powerful investor ... I want to avoid influencing the world, purposefully or not, beyond how I'm influencing the world with my other two wishes. :V

For the second wish, I'd bid the genie tell each and every intersexed, transgender, or otherwise non-binary person in the world that in one week he would return, and if they wanted, he would grant them the binary form of their choice.

For my final wish, I would abolish the possibility of people being born intersex, transgender, or suffering any other identity abnormalities along the gender-sex spectrums.

There need never be another Oboro!

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Well the only one I know for sure is a wish for the ability to take on animal forms.

I'll have to think about the other two.

Medopine on
  • Options
    Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008

Er...? Disease = natural. Poverty = starvation = natural. It's also pretty natural to die from being shot. I think your wish might disappoint you.
    2. My own guaranteed financial stability for the rest of my life. (purely selfish, but think of all the worries that immediately gets rid of) and,

Financial stability? I'm glad your third wish isn't for a massive global party, just in case it happens and we all end up playing scrabble and eating cheese-sticks. :P

Mine would be easy: Omniscience, Omnipotence, then do you really need the third one?

Actually: no bad effects to any of the 3 wishes would be first, then omniscience and omnipotence.

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd wish to make science more like science fiction so we could have Star Trek without having to worry about the actual laws of the universe.

Then I'd wish away human greed.

Then I'd wish to reattach the motivation and ambition greed creates to altruism, thus making people lust to help others.

Then I'd watch as all that lust to help others created a cutthroat culture where people will kill to help the most people because you can't just fuck with humans like that without consequences. But I'd be satisfied with the idea that I tried.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    Well the only one I know for sure is a wish for the ability to take on animal forms.

You furry freak! :P

Kagera on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    1) Human mental perfection across the spectrum for all mankind
    2) Human life lasts exactly 80 years except in cases of accidental death
    3) Human reproduction limited to twice per person (i.e. 2 children per couple)

Takes care of overpopulation and ignorance. I think an intelligent human race can solve any other problems on it's own.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    1. A real working lightsaber and the Force
    2. A few million dollars, basically enough to have a nest egg and finish paying for school.
    3. I'd probably go with a wish for the good of humanity, but I'd have to think about it.

Really, though, all I've wanted since I was a kid was a real working lightsaber.

thanimations on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

Being able to soar as an eagle would be the best feeling in the world.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Till a poacher shot you down for his own sick pleasure.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I didn't say "as the eagle from Rescuers Down Under" now did I?

Medopine on
  • Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    1. Immortality (and the power to repeal it)
    2. The active (not passive) ability to read other people's thoughts

Don't really need a third wish.

I think that depends on your ego. I would posit that given enough time, I can accomplish anything you might ask a genie to do with my first two wishes.

Vrtra Theory on
    Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Really, though, all I've wanted since I was a kid was a real working lightsaber.
    And a X-Wing.

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    PS To all the people wishing for Immortality, I think the phrase you want is Eternal Youth...otherwise you're going to be regretting it for [sideways 8] years in the nursing home.

Honestly, you people just don't plan ahead at all! You should be prepared for shit like this!

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I know alot of people are wishing for things to improve the world, but man, you guys are also making the world a pretty boring place to live in.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I think an intelligent human race can solve any other problems on it's own.

Ha!

Have you ever been near academia?

Not Sarastro on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I didn't say "as the eagle from Rescuers Down Under" now did I?

Ah that brings back memories.

Kagera on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah a lot of these wishes are just :|.

There are still avenues that my own can backfire, but I feel okay writing those off as acceptable losses. Stuff like "rewiring emotions" or giving all humans "perfect cognition" just seems like it would result in either catastrophic restructuring of the world or nothing changing appreciably.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    PS To all the people wishing for Immortality, I think the phrase you want is Eternal Youth...otherwise you're going to be regretting it for [sideways 8] years in the nursing home.

Honestly, you people just don't plan ahead at all! You should be prepared for shit like this!

Would you really want Eternal Youth knowing at some point humanity will most likely die out and you'll be left alone for at least millions of years until another species becomes sapient? Not that that happening is even a sure bet.

Kagera on