As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Democratic Primaries: Black anger... real?

• Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0308/Pelosis_office_responds_to_Clinton_supporters.html

You know, I'm on the fence about Pelosi in general, she does things I dislike in the name of not turning DC into (more of) a circus.

I'm proud she'd pretty much tell that extortion letter to sit on their bankrolls and spin.

kildy on
  • Options
    LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dear [name],
    With the Texas county conventions rapidly approaching on Saturday, March 29th, we have an opportunity to secure the delegate lead we established on March 4th.
    But we can't do it without your help. You can maximize Barack's support at the county conventions today, right from your home.
    Call Obama delegates and alternates using our online phone banking tool, and remind them to attend their county convention this Saturday.
    http://tx.barackobama.com/calltxdelegates
    The more Obama delegates we're able to connect with, the better prepared we'll be to harness the momentum we captured in Texas on March 4th.
    Let's do all that we can to ensure that the March 29th county conventions take us one step closer to change we can believe in for the whole country.
    Call Texas delegates today:
    http://tx.barackobama.com/calltxdelegates
    Thank you again for all your help,
    Ashley
    Ashley Walker
    Texas State Director
    Obama for America

That is the only directive I have gotten as an Obama supporter in TX. The only encouragement I have gotten to call delegates to sway them was from my local Democratic group.

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yea, my first impulse was to justify it but you really can't if you want to call Hillary on the same thing. So I'll just have to hope that it wasn't something Obama himself ordered done.

Scooter on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    kildy wrote: »
    It's not a question of who all it went to, etc etc. It's a tactic we've given Clinton shit for, it's only fair to give Obama shit for it, too. Delegates are picked based on an assumption that they will stick to their elected purpose. Regardless of rules, it's only fair and honorable for them to do so, and for nobody to try and game the system's poor design for personal gain.
    I haven't read the article yet, but here's my take:

IF HE ONLY SENT IT OUT TO THE SUPERS: Perfectly acceptable.
    IF HE SENT IT OUT TO PLEDGED AS WELL AS SUPERS, OR PLEDGED ONLY: Bad Obama. Bad. (Even though I've mused that if Hillary is declaring Obama's pledged up for grabs, it would logically follow that her pledged are up for grabs as well. Still, bad Obama, bad.)

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    jotate wrote: »
    It's not a question of who all it went to, etc etc. It's a tactic we've given Clinton shit for, it's only fair to give Obama shit for it, too. Delegates are picked based on an assumption that they will stick to their elected purpose. Regardless of rules, it's only fair and honorable for them to do so, and for nobody to try and game the system's poor design for personal gain.

Further, he doesn't even need to do that to win. He's going to win this thing. He just needs to sit back and act as honorable as possible.

Yeah, but Hillary is certainly making it difficult for him to not want to choke a bitch.

moniker on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Exactly. As a delegate, I can't feasibly go and poll the forty-or-so people from the caucus that I was chosen to represent, to find out if they have now switched their vote to Clinton - the best I can go off of is what I was originally chosen for: to vote for Obama. I'm equally indignant about people switching in the other direction.

werehippy wrote: »
    Having Bush levels of approval BEFORE an election can't be a winning position.
    Oh, don't worry - that won't stop her. She's a fighter.

Edit: jotate, mtvcdm - it was sent to Texas caucus delegates. We have another convention this weekend where the delegates from the precinct conventions on March 4th will now vote for their candidate at the county level. I don't think this is particularly a national thing.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    jotatejotate Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    At least he has a solid response if anyone directly asks him why he's being a dick about it.

"What!? Hillary said herself that the pledged delegates are free to change their minds. I'm just taking her advice on the matter."

jotate on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    jotate wrote: »
    At least he has a solid response if anyone directly asks him why he's being a dick about it.

"What!? Hillary said herself that the pledged delegates are free to change their minds. I'm just taking her advice on the matter."

I am sure there are better ways to phrase it though.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0308/Pelosis_office_responds_to_Clinton_supporters.html

You know, I'm on the fence about Pelosi in general, she does things I dislike in the name of not turning DC into (more of) a circus.

I'm proud she'd pretty much tell that extortion letter to sit on their bankrolls and spin.

It was a pretty weak response to what they were saying. Honestly everytime a super responds to this bullshit its always some lame half answer that has no balls to it. They should be worried about their seats because I know for damn sure I'd vote against these weak willed simps for playing this "Well he can't really lose but we still don't know" bullshit.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    I haven't read the article yet, but here's my take:

IF HE ONLY SENT IT OUT TO THE SUPERS: Perfectly acceptable.
    IF HE SENT IT OUT TO PLEDGED AS WELL AS SUPERS, OR PLEDGED ONLY: Bad Obama. Bad. (Even though I've mused that if Hillary is declaring Obama's pledged up for grabs, it would logically follow that her pledged are up for grabs as well. Still, bad Obama, bad.)

The article is saying not pledged or supers, it's to local delegates who will vote for the pledged.

I just don't like the angle of attack, I do believe the directions posted above that say nothing about calling the other side, I just question that flier. I guess we could email it to Obama's campaign and ask them what the hell is going on here. It's entirely possible that someone went overboard playing politics and missed the playbook that says WE DONUT DO THIS. I can hope.

kildy on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Edit: jotate, mtvcdm - it was sent to Texas caucus delegates. We have another convention this weekend where the delegates from the precinct conventions on March 4th will now vote for their candidate at the county level. I don't think this is particularly a national thing.
    That's a different ballgame from what I was thinking. At that level I think it would be prohibitively difficult to figure out who supports who. At this point, the delegate count is not set in stone in Texas, so there's still campaigning to do- if the Obama county delegates forget to go, Clinton ends up eventually swiping a few national delegates. I think it'd be a wash as done: you remind all your people to get to the county conventions (and eventually the state convention), but at the same time you remind the Clinton people just what they're trying to prevent, driving them in too.

I end up neutral on it.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    YAY

Update from Marc Ambinder (as I was making a nice email to the Obama campaign):
    Update: Turns out that the culprit is the Texas Democratic Party. The delegate lists they forwarded to the campaigns contain many errors on them, so Clinton delegates are receiving Obama mail and Obama delegates are recieving Clinton mail. Indeed, it wouldn't make much sense for Obama to remind Clinton delegates when the conventions are.

Yay, I was very irritated that Obama's camp would try and snipe delegates.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Like I just said, prohibitively difficult.

Gosling on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cynical Guy Says:

"It's easy to find a low-level guy willing to be thrown under the bus for you."

Houn on
  • Options
    ShadowThomasShadowThomas Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    YAY

Update: Turns out that the culprit is the Texas Democratic Party. The delegate lists they forwarded to the campaigns contain many errors on them, so Clinton delegates are receiving Obama mail and Obama delegates are recieving Clinton mail. Indeed, it wouldn't make much sense for Obama to remind Clinton delegates when the conventions are.

It's kind of sad that no one got upset over Obama delegates receiving Clinton mail. I guess they were expecting it from her campaign.

ShadowThomas on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    YAY

It's kind of sad that no one got upset over Obama delegates receiving Clinton mail. I guess they were expecting it from her campaign.

Outrage Fatigue. At this point she does so much shady and retarded shit that I'm finding it hard to work up any more than typing "what the FUCK" on the internets over it.

kildy on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2008
    It's always nice when your incredulity about the Good Guy doing something shady is rewarded with the revelation that he actually wasn't.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    That's a different ballgame from what I was thinking. At that level I think it would be prohibitively difficult to figure out who supports who. At this point, the delegate count is not set in stone in Texas, so there's still campaigning to do- if the Obama county delegates forget to go, Clinton ends up eventually swiping a few national delegates. I think it'd be a wash as done: you remind all your people to get to the county conventions (and eventually the state convention), but at the same time you remind the Clinton people just what they're trying to prevent, driving them in too.

I end up neutral on it.
    I got elected as an Obama delegate from the pool of Obama precinct caucus voters, by those voters, and the percentage of Obama delegates is based directly on Obama votes at the precinct caucus; the same goes for Clinton delegates as well. In that regard it's very similar to the national level - you say the delegate count is not set in stone in Texas, so there's still campaigning to do, but how can that not also apply to national pledged delegates, considering they're technically not bound to their pledged candidate either?

Edit: apparently it doesn't matter. The Good Guy is still A-OK!

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    It's always nice when your incredulity about the Good Guy doing something shady is rewarded with the revelation that he actually wasn't.

I was looking up noose sizes and preparing to turn into some political-emo kid over it. He saved me by Not Sucking.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Here's the thing:
    *Voters MAY OR MAY NOT go to the general caucus.
    *Caucus delegates will PROBABLY go to the county caucus, but you'll still see some people bled out.
    *State caucusgoers will ALMOST CERTAINLY go, but you still have to be sure nobody's skipping out.
    *EVERYBODY'S going to Denver.

At this point, you still have to do upkeep on your people to make sure they show up. Later on it's not a problem.

Gosling on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I was looking up noose sizes and preparing to turn into some political-emo kid over it. He saved me by Not Sucking.

Unfortunately, I already died my hair black and painted my nails, and am learning to play power-chord only songs on the guitar.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I mean, let's not pretend that Obama is squeaky clean. He's exaggerated his accomplishments, he's said misleading things about Clinton. He's human, and he's running against a finely-tuned smear machine, so it's expected that he would slip up occasionally. He's leagues better than almost any other politician out there in terms of running a dignified campaign, but we still need to call him out when he does something underhanded, rather than shrug it off as politics-as-usual.

Politics-as-usual is what we want to change, remember? We should keep Obama honest, and that means acknowledging when he engages in fuckmuppetry.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I mean, let's not pretend that Obama is squeaky clean. He's exaggerated his accomplishments, he's said misleading things about Clinton. He's human, and he's running against a finely-tuned smear machine, so it's expected that he would slip up occasionally. He's leagues better than almost any other politician out there in terms of running a dignified campaign, but we still need to call him out when he does something underhanded, rather than shrug it off as politics-as-usual.

Politics-as-usual is what we want to change, remember? We should keep Obama honest, and that means acknowledging when he engages in fuckmuppetry.

I still don't know what Jim Henson was thinking when he made that guy. Worst. Muppet. Ever.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I completely agree. I don't want to just shrug off his bullshit, even when it's shit the other side has already done. Not an excuse. New Politics means just that.

I'm happy this turned out to be a mistake on the Texas party's side, not Obama directly meddling in the delegates. I will call him out if his campaign engages in such questionable shit.

While crying into my Hello Kitty pillow and listening to Death Cab.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Houn wrote: »

Unfortunately, I already died my hair black and painted my nails, and am learning to play power-chord only songs on the guitar.
    The Ramones are coming back in a big way?

to moniker: I know what he was thinking... :winky:

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A friend linked me to this list of all of the horrible things done by Clinton. It's KOS, but it links to news articles.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/3/26/104555/955/7/484087

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    horatio77horatio77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Somewhat irrelevant straight lines ahoy!

032708DailyUpdateGraph1.gif

horatio77 on
    To thine own self be true;
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think the sniper curve is coming in here.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The light-green irrelevant straight line has increased its slope imperceptibly!

Oh, happy day!

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The green lines are just playing hard to get with each other. It's a delicate dance.

kildy on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    moniker wrote: »

I still don't know what Jim Henson was thinking when he made that guy. Worst. Muppet. Ever.

I don't know; there's still Elmo to think about.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    horatio77horatio77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not new, but I like graphs.

ObamaRegularDelegateLead.png

horatio77 on
    To thine own self be true;
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That's one thing people forget. Obama's not surging he's been winning the delegate count from day 1. The difference is the supers who assumed Hilary was inevitable and endorsed her really early

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

The green line does appear to be ducking its head in its headlong dash.

moniker on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »

The green line does appear to be ducking its head in its headlong dash.

How depressed is Jon Stewart that they're off this week?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The light-green irrelevant straight line has increased its slope imperceptibly!

Oh, happy day!

You lie, sir! The increase in the light-green line is clearly perceptible!

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    horatio77 wrote: »
    Not new, but I like graphs.

ObamaRegularDelegateLead.png

Looks like somebody playing Qix.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ElJeffe on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    What the hell taxes is that man filing.

I think my taxes are complex, but it all fits in a basic folder. I turned in more papers than this for homework most nights.

You want to give me the option to MAYBE overpay by a small amount or do this shit myself?

Here's my bank account number, Feds. Can you auto withdraw it, too? Seriously, my time is worth more money to me than whatever they'd wind up overcharging me if I didn't itemize what random work related books I bought.

kildy on
This discussion has been closed.