As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tomatoe soup is ketchup.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    dependign on the quality of the steak (and of the sauce) i would say using it as a marinade is acceptable, particularly for really lousy steak.
    I can see doing this, but I've been somewhat disinclined to eat meat lately, so if the steak is poor quality, I'd probably just pass on it.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    FAQ wrote: »
    Don't put barbecue sauce on your steak either. God dammit.

man are you going to be disappointed in me

dependign on the quality of the steak (and of the sauce) i would say using it as a marinade is acceptable, particularly for really lousy steak.

Barbecue sauce is generally a very bad idea to use as a marinade due to its high sugar content

Javen on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yeah i don't do it so much anymore since we can afford steak that isn't a flavourless jaw work out

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The Geek wrote: »
    Hey, banana splits are pretty good. Let's just replace the ice cream with Kraft singles.

Which one do you like best? Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper, or Snorky?
    Some manner of kids' show?

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I can see doing this, but I've been somewhat disinclined to eat meat lately, so if the steak is poor quality, I'd probably just pass on it.

I am generally not a big fan of red meat, but I will occasionally enjoy a steak. I tend to like it fairly rare.

I was at a restaurant a while ago and I heard somebody order a rare hamburger. I silently wished him the best of luck with his oncoming e. coli problems.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Javen wrote: »

Barbecue sauce is generally a very bad idea to use as a marinade due to its high sugar content

Itt: i expose my ignorance

Why would high sugar make a lousy marinade? One of the best meals I've ever had was turkey breast marinated in 7up, olive oil and soya sauce. It was highly delicious.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    If it was a fairly large steakhouse, (not restaurant) chances are greater they grind their own beef. If true, this drastically lowers the probability of foodborne illness

Javen on
  • Options
    Shepherd PieShepherd Pie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I am generally not a big fan of red meat, but I will occasionally enjoy a steak. I tend to like it fairly rare.

I was at a restaurant a while ago and I heard somebody order a rare hamburger. I silently wished him the best of luck with his oncoming e. coli problems.

I remember being taught that it was illegal to order a hamburger anything but well done, I guess not if people are ordering them rare. Maybe some people enjoy food poisoning, cleans the pipes out good.

Shepherd Pie on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    If it was a fairly large steakhouse, (not restaurant) chances are greater they grind their own beef. If true, this drastically lowers the probability of foodborne illness

It definitely wasn't that calibre of establishment. I was hesitant to eat my salad.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I much prefer the texture of rarer ground meat, and I've dodged any e. coli so far, but restaurants around here won't serve burgers less than medium or medium-well, so I've stopped eating ground meat.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Itt: i expose my ignorance

Why would high sugar make a lousy marinade? One of the best meals I've ever had was turkey breast marinated in 7up, olive oil and soya sauce. It was highly delicious.

It's fine if you're using a crock pot or slow cooker, but burns way too fast to be broiled properly (which is the only real way to do ribs)

Javen on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Raw steak is fine if the meat is handled properly at all steps of preperation and delivery.

The problem is, you have absolutely no oversight over most of this.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited March 2008
    trader joe's brand split-pea soup is good

hell, split-pea soup in general is pretty good

underrated

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fucking food snobs.

Look at me

eating steak with ketchup

look at me and weep.

dénouement: HOT DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGS

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Fucking food snobs.

Look at me

eating steak with ketchup

look at me and weep.

you know what go for it man

I mean shit I feel like I can appreciate well-made food and I have a decent palette but I can also enjoy some shitty food

but then again I smoke so

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Does anyone else see my name for that post being stacked?

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Hey, banana splits are pretty good. Let's just replace the ice cream with Kraft singles.

ahahahaha

bananasplits.jpg

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I eat a hot dog about once every two years, and man they can be damn tasty

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    there's a local company I can't remember the name of, something like Hill's Farm out of Oregon that makes some really good all natural beef franks
    fuckers are huge, and they're better than Hebrew National hot dogs which a lot of people rave about
    not saying Hebrew National are bad, just that as good as they are these are even better

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i hate ketchup

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Druhim wrote: »

ahahahaha

bananasplits.jpg

I saw that once when I was about seven and it scared the living shit out of me

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    i8246ii8246i Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You know what is goddamn DELICIOUS? Steak, mashed potatoes, and A1 sauce. Together.

I remember as a kid taking sips of A1 sauce for the hell of it.

mmmm sodium

i8246i on
    "...a giant ball of childhood memories just smashed your mini-van."
    Wii console: 0615 6697 5100 0708
    BRAWL!: 3265 4769 7593 | KARTZ: 1676-4436-7224
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    also I think when I was 2 Ren and Stimply literally scared the shit out of me

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

ahahahaha

bananasplits.jpg

I actually hated that show as a kid for the same reason, but my brother loved it. Also Sigmund and the Sea Monster. Those Kroft brothers were doing some serious drugs.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    i8246i wrote: »
    You know what is goddamn DELICIOUS? Steak, mashed potatoes, and A1 sauce. Together.

mmmm sodium
    A1 is an abomination and should never be used on a quality steak prepared properly. Now if you're putting it on a budget steak, that's fine because it needs it.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I can't really endorse A1, or any storebought steak sauce, really, aside from one sold in a particularly busy butcher shop, if they make it themselves.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    dry steak rubs can be good though
    or some spicy montreal steak seasoning added when it's just about done

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i8246i wrote: »

mmmm sodium
    A1 is an abomination and should never be used on a quality steak prepared properly. Now if you're putting it on a budget steak, that's fine because it needs it.

i completely agree with this, an excellent cut of meat should be tasted for itself, but a low quality steak needs the boost of a exterior sauce

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Dry rubs feature ingredients that generally speaking, never really go bad, so it doesn't matter when you buy them, their flavor never dilutes.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for your average steak sauce

Javen on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wait.

Without reading through the thread, how do you have non-vegetarian tomato soup?

I mean, you could add meat to it, but then it would be some kind of. . .meat and tomato soup.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cum Hero wrote: »
    Wait.

I mean, you could add meat to it, but then it would be some kind of. . .meat and tomato soup.

maybe some of them have animal extracts/a broth mixed in or something

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Belruel wrote: »
    Cum Hero wrote: »
    Wait.

maybe some of them have animal extracts/a broth mixed in or something

I'll have to investigate.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Dry rubs feature ingredients that generally speaking, never really go bad, so it doesn't matter when you buy them, their flavor never dilutes.

that's not really true. like Stale said, grinding your own spices makes them more pungent and that's because the volatile oils that impart the flavor and aroma will evaporate eventually, especially if not stored properly. but most rubs will come in an airtight container that keeps them reasonably fresh

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How would you rate pepper sauce?

Over here you generally get some with whatever steak you order and it's up to you to add it or not add it.

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    edited March 2008

that's not really true. like Stale said, grinding your own spices makes them more pungent and that's because the volatile oils that impart the flavor and aroma will evaporate eventually, especially if not stored properly. but most rubs will come in an airtight container that keeps them reasonably fresh

That's not really "going bad" though. Grind some spices, keep them in an airtight container and out of sunlight, and you can use pick up and use them years down the road. Their flavor keeps for much, much longer, dried or not. The same simply does not apply for steak sauce or other marinades. If you buy a fresh sauce at a busy steak house or butcher shop, that's perfectly fine. But going to your local grocer, you'll have no idea how long that bottle has been on the shelf.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    How would you rate pepper sauce?

Over here you generally get some with whatever steak you order and it's up to you to add it or not add it.
    you mean peppercorn sauce? I like a good peppercorn steak on occasion

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008

ahahahaha

bananasplits.jpg

I actually hated that show as a kid for the same reason, but my brother loved it. Also Sigmund and the Sea Monster. Those Kroft brothers were doing some serious drugs.

Don't forget about H.R. Pufnstuf

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I heard somewhere that ketchup and tomato soup both have to same nutritional value as a fresh tomato

so that's interesting

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I heard somewhere that ketchup and tomato soup both have to same nutritional value as a fresh tomato

so that's interesting
    the only way that could be true is if both were made only with tomato and no other ingredients were added, which is definitely not the case so I call shenanigans

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i thought sesame street was terrible and a little creepy as a child

i still do

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50