Options

The old GTAIV thread that should be locked

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    They should use a sountrack of what a Russian immigrant would listen to. It would be all Metallica and Polka and the occasional Euro-trash club stuff. I'd totally get down to that.

You mean like....Vladivostok FM?

Acutally yes. This.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i just pre-ordered this from play-asia. couldn't resist the extra ten bucks for 1-4 day delivery

aww yeah.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    No one is going to buy a goddamn PS3 just for Grand Theft Auto.

At least - having it in a bundle isn't going to encourage anymore people that would do it anyway.

I don't have a PS3 or 360. I plan on getting one or the other though.

Malkor on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just to cover all the bases seems like the same retailer that put up that ps3 bundle put up a 360 one but currently its just a console with the game on the side bundle. So also play.com is doing the same but still these may be retailer specific bundles and only used to help move 360 stock.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh YES. Jean Michel Jarre all up in the sky.

Didn't see that bit, I can only hope that Calypso gets in there as well.

I'm going to enjoy Vladivostok, it should open new vistas in translated names for me while I pillage the intertubes for music. Once I could speak Russian, no longer.

...And WKTT.
    "Who fought the best wars? Men. Who makes the best murderers? Men! Who invented the plague? Men!"

"The minority agenda- uh, the, the midget agenda. Yuck, yuck! I, y'know every idiot in this country has a damn agenda. You know, what about my agenda? You know what that is? America, you with me bastion's buddies?" *crowd cheers*

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You know, if the PS3 bundle was an 80gb, I'd probably go ahead and throw down the money. Since it's a 40gb, though, I'll just wait for the MGS4 bundle. Also, I think it's interesting that Sony's basically created an M-rated console bundle.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    You know, if the PS3 bundle was an 80gb, I'd probably go ahead and throw down the money. Since it's a 40gb, though, I'll just wait for the MGS4 bundle. Also, I think it's interesting that Sony's basically created an M-rated console bundle.

it's a PAL bundle, PAL ps3s only come in 40gb these days

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »

It's not just PAL. I haven't seen anything but 40gb PS3s in my area in months.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »

It's not just PAL. I haven't seen anything but 40gb PS3s in my area in months.

They have been discontinued for the time being till the MGS4 bundle.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    PAL never got an 80gb, all we have had is the 60gb and the 40gb.

LewieP on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Don't know most of the soundtrack listing, but love the stuff I do know. Humble Pie? Gwen Stefani? Queen? Bob Marley?

I am so in.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    Oh YES. Jean Michel Jarre all up in the sky.

Didn't see that bit, I can only hope that Calypso gets in there as well.

I'm going to enjoy Vladivostok, it should open new vistas in translated names for me while I pillage the intertubes for music. Once I could speak Russian, no longer.

...And WKTT.

"Who fought the best wars? Men. Who makes the best murderers? Men! Who invented the plague? Men!"

"The minority agenda- uh, the, the midget agenda. Yuck, yuck! I, y'know every idiot in this country has a damn agenda. You know, what about my agenda? You know what that is? America, you with me bastion's buddies?" *crowd cheers*

I burned through all the stations already. I was not dissapointed.

Malkor on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also, anyone find it odd that none of the stations have the same name as in GTA3?

I mean, if they're going to bring back Lazlow, it should be on Chatterbox.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, can we spoiler stuff that's from radio stations? I know that it's available on the website but I can't be the only one who wants to hear it in proper context.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    No one is going to buy a goddamn PS3 just for Grand Theft Auto.

At least - having it in a bundle isn't going to encourage anymore people that would do it anyway.

I don't have a PS3 or 360. I plan on getting one or the other though.
    Same here. I still haven't decided which. :/

Also...
    Jean Michael Jarre.

Yay!

forty on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Get the PS3. Unless you want to be ripped off and put into debt, then you should go with a 360.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MarioG wrote: »
    Get the PS3. Unless you want to be ripped off and put into debt, then you should go with a 360.

I have both and don't feel ripped off in the slightest. I have both and I am not in debt. I have both and will be buying the 360 version.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    An Xbox elite is more money than a PS3. Plus, you know Blu-Ray won.
    Don't care about console wars though

Malkor on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2008
    How many fucking times do I have to tell you people not to start this console wars shit up again.

Tube on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    corin7 wrote: »
    MarioG wrote: »

I have both and don't feel ripped off in the slightest. I have both and I am not in debt. I have both and will be buying the 360 version.

Me too. Its just they charge you for EVERYTHING!!D:

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Isn't a 360 Premium good enough? Is an Elite worth $100 more?

forty on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    forty wrote: »

As far as I can tell the Elite has an HDMI port and a larger hard drive. I don't know if you can replace the Xbox's HD with any old SATA drive thogh. That'd be nice.

Malkor on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, about that Grand Theft Auto thingy.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    How many fucking times do I have to tell you people not to start this console wars shit up again.

I love this moderator.

Primarily because his signature is making me giggle like a school girl on mescaline and in part 'cause the way he pops up now and then and yells at us for arguing on the internet is always worth a smile.

Keep on trucking, creepy flaming hamster thing. -Wait, that's a hedgehog, isn't it? Even better.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So, about that Grand Theft Auto thingy.
    I hear it's on XBox 360, and some other system.

Am I correct in assuming that cross-platform console multiplayer is still an impossibility?

I cannot wait to fire this up with my friends. I knew online was inevitable, but it sounds more robust than I ever imagined.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I don't know if it's been posted here, yet, but I got directed to this bit of "news":

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/06/pachter-ea-could-delay-gta-ivs-april-29-release/
    Pachter: EA could delay GTA IV's April 29 release

Mr. Michael Pachter – everyone's favorite clairvoyant video game analyst – has a knack for making headlines. Whether it's "Pachter snubs pal Lohan in Viper Club debacle" or "EA could delay GTA IV's April 29 release" we tend to take notice. On the latest episode of Bonus Round, Pachter told host Geoff Keighley, "I think if EA takes over Take-Two, they have an economic incentive to delay [Grand Theft Auto IV]." What economic incentive might that be? Why, to hold the release until the far more lucrative fourth quarter. As for why Take-Two isn't simply doing that itself, the Pach explains, "Take-Two, financially, has to get that game out ... they need the money. They need to get it out."

That's all well and good but, you see, it's just that we've had April 29th circled on our Strauss Zelnick pinup calendar (in permanent marker no less) for over two months and, since Peter Moore really dropped the ball, we also went ahead and got that date tattooed on our far less impressive biceps. So, to recap, if EA manages to merge their giant family with Take-Two's impressive roster, your plans for May are shot and we're going to have a funny tattoo story to tell the grandkids.

If this is old, just ignore me.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    Am I correct in assuming that cross-platform console multiplayer is still an impossibility?

Completely, utterly impossible.

Unless you're talking console ping pong.

You could grill some burgers on a ps3 outside and beat the shit out of a foul mouthed squirrel with a wiimote over an endless plain of defunct 360s.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    forty wrote: »

As far as I can tell the Elite has an HDMI port and a larger hard drive. I don't know if you can replace the Xbox's HD with any old SATA drive thogh. That'd be nice.
    I'm pretty sure if you buy a premium new, they have an HDMI port.

As for the hard drive, no. Microsoft's DRM on DLC is somehow built into the hard drive, so third party ones won't fly, unfortunately.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't know if it's been posted here, yet, but I got directed to this bit of "news":

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/04/06/pachter-ea-could-delay-gta-ivs-april-29-release/

Please tell me this isn't happening.

I literally just told my work I wouldn't be able to work on the 29th just so I could go and get my copy and play it all freakin day.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Pachter: EA could delay GTA IV's April 29 release

Mr. Michael Pachter – everyone's favorite clairvoyant video game analyst – has a knack for making headlines. Whether it's "Pachter snubs pal Lohan in Viper Club debacle" or "EA could delay GTA IV's April 29 release" we tend to take notice. On the latest episode of Bonus Round, Pachter told host Geoff Keighley, "I think if EA takes over Take-Two, they have an economic incentive to delay [Grand Theft Auto IV]." What economic incentive might that be? Why, to hold the release until the far more lucrative fourth quarter. As for why Take-Two isn't simply doing that itself, the Pach explains, "Take-Two, financially, has to get that game out ... they need the money. They need to get it out."

That's all well and good but, you see, it's just that we've had April 29th circled on our Strauss Zelnick pinup calendar (in permanent marker no less) for over two months and, since Peter Moore really dropped the ball, we also went ahead and got that date tattooed on our far less impressive biceps. So, to recap, if EA manages to merge their giant family with Take-Two's impressive roster, your plans for May are shot and we're going to have a funny tattoo story to tell the grandkids.

As lucrative as the fourth quarter is (read: Christmas release), haven't there been examples of games being released outside of the Holiday window and succeeding? And wouldn't a game like GTAIV be one of those games that might actually sell no matter what time of year? I mean, is he suggesting that somebody thinks that an April 29 release date might confuse people who want to buy the game?

Even if he believes what he's saying, with three weeks left before release it would be nearly impossible to stop it now. Plus, any deal between EA and Take Two would undoubtedly cover this and it still wouldn't be finalised for months. This merger shit doesn't happen at the snap of some fingers.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I literally just told my work I wouldn't be able to work on the 29th just so I could go and get my copy and play it all freakin day.

Not going to happen. Who in their right mind would take any money from EA until after the stock price jumps because of the release of GTA4.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Likely it's just some guy blowing smoke up our asses to get his name seen. As Santa Claustrophobia said, any buyout/merger would probably cover this and take longer than the three weeks left until the game's launch to affect it.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Not going to happen. Who in their right mind would take any money from EA until after the stock price jumps because of the release of GTA4.

Take-Two's stockholders, who are sick of the way the company has been mismanaged over the years and might want something more stable. Seriously, the company has been struggling over the years... and if the holder of the fuckin' GTA license (a license to print money) is in danger of going under, you know you're doing something wrong.

Will this happen? I'm not sure, but the window is shutting fast. GTA4 coming out won't silence all the critics, but it'll give them enough money in the short term to calm them down for a while. Still, if EA does get the company before GTA comes out, I doubt the game will be delayed. There's already been too much marketing, too many deals made (see: the euro PS3 bundle) and too much money spent to prime the public for the game at the end of the month to suddenly yank the carpet out from under them. That's a bunch of money to waste.

Also, Patcher has long been outed as a moron. He's a well-paid analyst who gets quoted everywhere, but his "predictions" are way, way removed from reality.

Edit: Also, EA's threatened takeover has been going on for a few months. It could conceivably happen before GTA4 comes out.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Likely it's just some guy blowing smoke up our asses to get his name seen. As Santa Claustrophobia said, any buyout/merger would probably cover this and take longer than the three weeks left until the game's launch to affect it.

I wouldnt say smoke, Pachter is a long standing analyst but hes is making a very grandiose claim. Also if for instance a hostile takeover did happen EA could do whatever it wants. But seriously EA wouldn't do this its just bad business. GTA games have legs nobody would say "well it came out in spring lets get something else for Christmas".

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Not enough time to delay. Even clean take-overs take some time, if this was even slightly messy the game would be on shelves when it happened.

Edit: yeah they'd lose a ton of cash (off the Q4 bonus, granted) by delaying too, which would defeat the point.

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Not to mention the game's probably being pressed to disk right now. Or by the end of the week at latest.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Not to mention the game's probably being pressed to disk right now. Or by the end of the week at latest.
    Nah. To meet the expected demand, that shit better be pressing right now. What's the expected first week number? One million? Two? Remember, it's not just the disc that needs to be made but the case and any inserts as well. That stuff doesn't get made until the final version is approved in case there are any last minute changes.

EDIT:
    Think about the strat guide to San Andreas. The Photo Ops were completely wrong. Likely because when that section was written, it was correct and then changes were made later after the guide went to press. The horseshoe locations were also messed up, but that is more of an actual printing error since all the locations were correct but they were shifted slightly on the map.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well disks can hold but yeah that too. Way too late.

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Here are some multiplayer screens;

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6274_en.html

Hope I'm not late as per usual.

Graphical downgrade aside, looks absolutely wicked! This game is going to eat up free time.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Here are some multiplayer screens;

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6274_en.html

Hope I'm not late as per usual.

Graphical downgrade aside, looks absolutely wicked! This game is going to eat up free time.

Awesome screenshots, but I wonder now if that photoshop-like look is going to actually be the style of the game. In all the screens, they look like they've been put through a stencil/art filter. Honestly, I think it looks a bit weird. Things up close look fine, but you look behind the focus and it's as if you're looking at a painting.

Of those twelve, I think this one shows it best:
    1077_0008.jpg

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
This discussion has been closed.