As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Thread: Stop posting huge images inline, retards

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    No MMO will ever have different classes moving a different speeds without some kind of buff. It'd be wayyy too easy to have kiting, and ranged (assuming they move faster) would dominate mélêe far too easily.

Oats on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited May 2008
    Shadowbane actually had different races with inherent movement speed bonuses, and certain classes had bonuses/debuffs depending on what stance they were in

Unknown User on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oatway wrote: »
    No MMO will ever have different classes moving a different speeds without some kind of buff. It'd be wayyy too easy to have kiting, and ranged (assuming they move faster) would dominate mélêe far too easily.

It could work but would take an extreme amount of balancing. You're probably looking at games through WoW-coloured goggles. Where magic classes not only have range, but entirely ignore the defenses of melee classes. I don't see why my 4 foot tall shield can't block a fireball as well as a great axe. And as I understand it, some melee classes will have a lot of magical defenses, while others will have fewer.

I'm not saying different movement speeds would necessarily work in WAR the way it exists now (or the way we suspect it exists), but there's no reason why an mmo in the future can't have different movement speeds based on class/race. It would just need to be balanced around that. So slow moving classes would need a way to close the distance by an ability, and fast moving ranged classes would need something limiting their ability to hit and run and not make it too powerful. Making everyone's movement speed the same is just an easy way to balance everything, nothing wrong with that or anything, but that's the way it is.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Spell reflect in WoW brought a totally new level of joy to my playing once I started using it all the time. Nothing is as fun as reflecting spells with a shield. Nothing.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Becoming wrote: »
    narv107 wrote: »
    Simple solution to Circle Strafing, still making it viable but sort of realistic (I can't believe this isn't in many games yet, although oblivion does it a bit):

Weapons sheathed: 100% speed
    Weapons out: 75% speed

Turning speed remains the same.

So melee characters snare themselves when they attack so that a caster can kite them easier? Or you end up with everyone using slow weapons and sheathing between auto attacks which would be more lame.

Nah, basically the idea is, when you're in combat, you move slower than when you're out of combat, this applies to everyone. The weapons in/weapons out is just so that you're not automatically slowed every time someone whacks you from behind. If you want to just keep running, don't engage, and keep going. It wouldn't be hard to apply this principle to every class.

With this kind of system, no one could ever escape a situation in which the other side had +1 players. Have one guy attacking just enough to keep the enemies in combat/snared while his friends run ahead as much as need to be get proper positioning to assream the poor saps who are kept in combat. Repeat as necessary.

I addressed this in the very post you're quoting:
    The weapons in/weapons out is just so that you're not automatically slowed every time someone whacks you from behind. If you want to just keep running, don't engage, and keep going.

I clarified it again 4 posts later:
    The idea is that the player chooses whether or not he or she is in combat or not, rather than being put in combat by someone else.

If you want to leave combat, put away your weapons and run.

Of course, a system like this sounds nice (to me) in theory, but it would need testing to see if it works in practice. The major hurdle for me would be if a player decides to turn tail and run, can you catch up to him knowing he has a head start?

I wonder if certain classes will have different movement speeds. Seems to me a Wizard on a floating magic disk should be able to zip around more easily, and more quickly, than some guy wearing 200 pounds of armor.

Let me state my opinion more concisely: I think that it is a bad idea no matter what extra rules are tacked on.

The point is, mechanics and game balance theory-crafting aside, who wants combat to be slower than the rest of the game? Not me, and I bet that the vast majority of other players feel the same.

Becoming on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

The point is, mechanics and game balance theory-crafting aside, who wants combat to be slower than the rest of the game? Not me, and I bet that the vast majority of other players feel the same.

It's all relative, combat in WoW is much slower than running around on an epic mount.

Let me use mounting in WoW as an analogy.

Let's say you run into combat on a mount (weapons sheathed), you're moving a lot faster than everyone, but unable to take part in the combat. If you start attacking, you become dismounted (weapons out), and a lot slower.

This just adds in a third step. Fighting eachother is going to make you move a bit slower, which makes sense, but if you want to start going fast again, you have that option, it's called running away.

But as Morskittar said a few pages ago:
    Morskittar wrote: »
    As has been said many times before, WAR combat feels like a slower, more tactically-optioned, version of WoW (or DAoC). If that doesn't sound awesome, you should have probably stopped watching a long, long time ago.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Providing that's still the case, of course.

Also, WAR already has a mechanic that allows you to move faster for a sacrifice of fighting ability.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I hoped they'd have something like that. Whether you're slowed down in combat, or sped up out of combat, the end result is the same. I just wonder how big of an impact crowd control is in WAR. It's one of the frustrating things in WoW is that you can die over the course of a few seconds while you've lost control of your character due to CC.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

It's all relative, combat in WoW is much slower than running around on an epic mount.

Let's say you run into combat on a mount (weapons sheathed), you're moving a lot faster than everyone, but unable to take part in the combat. If you start attacking, you become dismounted (weapons out), and a lot slower.

This just adds in a third step. Fighting eachother is going to make you move a bit slower, which makes sense, but if you want to start going fast again, you have that option, it's called running away.

As has been said many times before, WAR combat feels like a slower, more tactically-optioned, version of WoW (or DAoC). If that doesn't sound awesome, you should have probably stopped watching a long, long time ago.

so after you've put a slow on your opponent, you sheath your weapons while already putting ground between you and your foe. then the timer is up, you run even faster while your opponent is still slowed and rape him from range while he can't catch up. sounds brilliant.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I hoped they'd have something like that. Whether you're slowed down in combat, or sped up out of combat, the end result is the same. I just wonder how big of an impact crowd control is in WAR. It's one of the frustrating things in WoW is that you can die over the course of a few seconds while you've lost control of your character due to CC.

Supposedly Mythic devs dislike CC as a general rule. The most we've seen are slows and very short-term stuns.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Supposedly Mythic devs dislike CC as a general rule. The most we've seen are slows and very short-term stuns.

Don't forget the short term PBAOE roots that tanks have.

narv107 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Theres also the 24 second unbreakable stun.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    robothero wrote: »

wut? Please tell me these are lies.

narv107 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Angry wrote: »

so after you've put a slow on your opponent, you sheath your weapons while already putting ground between you and your foe. then the timer is up, you run even faster while your opponent is still slowed and rape him from range while he can't catch up. sounds brilliant.

That's what testing is for. You can't just pick parts of the idea you dislike and ignore the others. Like I said, earlier there are ways of making something like this make sense. It's no different than being able to mount up and put distance between you and an enemy in WoW, except you're not bound by some arbitrary and buggy system that randomly keeps you in combat for extended periods of time after you've done anything.

If there's a delay on sheathing your weapons (casting time) and you add up the time it takes to get to range, and you consider the previously mentioned idea where ranged classes need to be stationary for a few moments before firing or they'll have an extremely reduced accuracy (not unrealistic), then you balance the stun/slow so that it's not going to last 30 seconds on you. Also you're ignoring the fact that melee classes will (from what we've seen in WAR) have defenses against ranged attacks.

Besides, how is this any different from a mage casting frost nova on someone, getting to range, and proceeding to rape you from range?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    top level morale turns it into a pbaoe 24 second stun

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    narv107 wrote: »

wut? Please tell me these are lies.

Yes, please say lies.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    chance to drain morale and health on hit

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    explode into a sequence of chaos beasts that if processed through a keyboard would play motzart's 7th.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    top level morale turns it into a pbaoe 24 second stun

Bleh, tier 4 morale abilities don't count because they won't be firing off constantly. Honestly I want a Zealot t4 morale ability called "Claimed by Tzeentch" that destroys everyone within 30 yards including the caster by melting them into puddles with changing fire.

narv107 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

That's rather good news to me.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    And your foes weapons turn into fish.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    And your foes weapons turn into fish.

chaos fish. that sing a piercing cadence that ushers in the maw of chaos from the frozen north.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The strange thing about chaos fish is that they walk upright, on two fins, and smell suspiciously like hamburgers.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    stun everyone with 100 yards for 24 seconds

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    no no, we are limiting the use of fear in dungeons after expansions

mobs now use terror

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I wrote a WFRP adventure with a narrative section describing the characters walking by a caravan in the Chaos Wastes. The climax of the description;

A fish walks by.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I wrote a WFRP adventure with a narrative section describing the characters walking by a caravan in the Chaos Wastes. The climax of the description;

A fish walks by.

A thought occurs.

I propose we rename the Theory of Evolution to the Truth of Tzeentch.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

A fish walks by.

A thought occurs.

I'm all for it.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

A fish walks by.

A thought occurs.

I'm all for it.

Can even make a Childrens book out of it.
    "Everything Changes"

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    tzeenchpw7.jpg

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Except when it isn't.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    He's the quantum god.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Change is always constant.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Change changes. Or does it?

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    HompHomp Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also you spelled Tzeentch wrong.

Homp on
    chosen7171-1.gif
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Change changes. Or does it?

Yes, but trying to observe or measure the change changes it further.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I didn't make that. Robots don't make mistakes so you will have to blame whoever did.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i don't think i have ever once read your name as robot hero.

Angry on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    That's good, because it is robo thero.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Rob Othero makes way more sense.

'sup Rob.

Morskittar on