Options

Gun Control Thread and the Temple of Doom

ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Tim James wrote: »
I really need to stop procrastinating and buy an AR-15 for 3-gun. I don't know how Obama can lose the general election. The end of limited gun rights is nigh. At least it will be a switch in terms of how the feds are bossing us around. The neocons wear on you after a while.
Yes, because Obama has definitely made gun control his #1 priority.

The man never shuts up about it.

Thanatos on

• Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I really need to stop procrastinating and buy an AR-15 for 3-gun. I don't know how Obama can lose the general election. The end of limited gun rights is nigh. At least it will be a switch in terms of how the feds are bossing us around. The neocons wear on you after a while.

The President doesn't make the laws, Congress does. He'll just be there to sign AWB2. On the other hand, Bush said he would as well, but I think he realized it would never happen and just said it so he could get more war funding or some shit.

Hillary has already been burned by gun control and would never touch it. Obama is probably dumb enough to try to bring Chicago gun control to the national level (federalism, anyone?)

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

The President doesn't make the laws, Congress does. He'll just be there to sign AWB2. On the other hand, Bush said he would as well, but I think he realized it would never happen and just said it so he could get more war funding or some shit.

Hillary has already been burned by gun control and would never touch it. Obama is probably dumb enough to try to bring Chicago gun control to the national level (federalism, anyone?)

Could you at least be internally consistent in your trolling? Obama will tell me how to eat! The President doesn't make the laws!

That was within a span of hours.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Sorry about my trolling. I just like my rights. :(

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2008

Yeah, I remember how when the AWB was in effect, it was impossible to buy a gun anywhere. Truly the end is nigh for the noble gun enthusiast.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2008

Your right to be inane on the internet is in no immediate jeopardy, though I don't know if a sad face really excuses "he's going to tell me how to eat lawl lawl".

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

And I like the right to not get shot in the face. You don't have the right to arm yourself with all sorts of things. That should include assault weapons.

Besides, no would be tyrant would ever remove the 2nd amendment. That's the weakest defense amongst the populace. They'd go after habeus corpus, due process, judicial oversight...

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Yeah, I remember how when the AWB was in effect, it was impossible to buy a gun anywhere. Truly the end is nigh for the noble gun enthusiast.
    You should read about AWB2. :(

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    moniker wrote: »

And I like the right to not get shot in the face. You don't have the right to arm yourself with all sorts of things. That should include assault weapons.

Besides, no would be tyrant would ever remove the 2nd amendment. That's the weakest defense amongst the populace. They'd go after habeus corpus, due process, judicial oversight...
    Wow.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    You should read about AWB2. :(

You guys have spent decades completely and utterly failing to defend anyone else's rights - I mean, really, the record of gun types at defending rights is pathetic, it's abysmal - so please don't expect us to go crying for your lost wang-substitutes.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Those "rights" being:

1) Buying guns.
    2) Not paying taxes.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Wow.

Wow.
    I guess dumbfucks can get surprised too.

Move to gun thread, please, so we can actually get an actual reasonable discussion here.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited May 2008

And then get most of the gun-enthusiast types angry and pissed off at an external threat, so that they wouldn't need to take away the guns.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Guns are used to shoot-up schools, idiot.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Guns are used to shoot-up schools, idiot.

And beer cans. And little metal duckies on a track.

moniker on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    aaaaaand that's the thread, everybody. G'night.

Tach on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2008
    I'll point out that the AWB is retarded, because the definition of "assault weapon" is retarded.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I have the right to feel safe from gun violence.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I'll point out that the AWB is retarded, because the definition of "assault weapon" is retarded.
    THANK YOU. I KISS YOU.

This is literally the first reasonable thing I've ever seen in D&D. I don't care if you completely disagree with me on everything else.

I should screen capture this and open it up the next time I think about venturing into this forum.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Did you just switch to the opposite side of the debate for no particular reason?

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have the right to feel safe from gun violence.

Wait- are you pro-gun or anti-gun? I'm honestly confused.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Tach wrote: »
    aaaaaand that's the thread, everybody. G'night.

It is rather hard to argue against little metal duckies on a track.

Maybe that's why they get shot at so much.

moniker on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I like target shooting. I'd totally buy a gun for target shooting. IF some dudes break in my house in the middle of the night I won't know because I sleep like a god damned log.

What are the major differences between this AWB and the previous one?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I didn't switch sides. I don't know who that other guy is.

Please ban bayonets and require homeowners to use trigger locks.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Define "assault weapons." Aside from magazine capacity, the criteria often wind up being cosmetic (as in, "scary" looking guns).

EDIT: Or in other words, we get bans written by people who don't know shit about guns (except that banning them gets them votes in their district/state), including bans on the dreaded "shoulder thing that goes up."

I'd say it's possible a tyrant might go after both. Which is why habeus corpus, due process, and judicial oversight are incredibly important to defend as well.
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    You guys have spent decades completely and utterly failing to defend anyone else's rights - I mean, really, the record of gun types at defending rights is pathetic, it's abysmal - so please don't expect us to go crying for your lost wang-substitutes.

"Gun types" are hardly a monolithic entity. Yes, there is a lot of overlap with backwards fucktards...but some gun enthusiasts (like myself, or at least I'd like to think so) are pretty reasonable and progressive people.

Alternately: I'll remember this next time you expect me to care if some homos can get married, or something.
    Total bluff, of course...because I'm one of those wacky people who cares about even those rights that I don't exercise.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Didn't we just have this thread?

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    an_alt wrote: »
    Didn't we just have this thread?

Yeah, pretty much. It started out more focused, but there were a good 15 pages worth of general gun control discussion as well.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    This is literally the first reasonable thing I've ever seen in D&D.

Somehow I doubt that. Did you even read the primary thread before dropping in? There's a lot of good crunchy info there for anyone willing to invest a few minutes.

Anyway, guns. I would like to hear your answer to my contention that you really haven't done much to defend any actual non-second amendment rights with them. In the past eight years we've seen privacy and habeus corpus go largely out the window, and you guys were not manning any barricades that I saw.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    FACT: Gun control worked for D.C.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    1) I'm a "gun nut."
    2) "Assault weapon" is basically a meaningless term at this point.
    3) Consider ElJeffe's post limed. The assault weapons ban is retarded.
    4) Most anti-gun pundits are retarded.
    5) Most pro-gun pundits are retarded.
    6) Most people who speak out on this issue at all are retarded.
    7) The Second Amendment is retarded.
    8) The whole situation is retarded.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Somehow I doubt that. Did you even read the primary thread before dropping in? There's a lot of good crunchy info there for anyone willing to invest a few minutes.

Anyway, guns. I would like to hear your answer to my contention that you really haven't done much to defend any actual non-second amendment rights with them. In the past eight years we've seen privacy and habeus corpus go largely out the window, and you guys were not manning any barricades that I saw.
    They were totally down in Texas and Arizona protecting us from the dirty Mexicans who want to take away our right not to benefit tremendously from their labor.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I haven't seen you use your first amendment rights to defend my second amendment rights, either. So we can just get rid of those, too?

And I'm not seeing how a bunch of dudes getting married are really furthering anybody's rights but their own. So fuck those guys (and gals).

Do you honestly think we've gotten to the point where people should be voting from the rooftops? I mean, yeah, things have gotten bad rights-wise...but have we really hit that point? I'm not sure what it is you're expecting people (or rather, gunowners) to do, here.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    1) I'm a "gun nut."
    2) "Assault weapon" is basically a meaningless term at this point.
    3) Consider ElJeffe's post limed. The assault weapons ban is retarded.
    4) Most anti-gun pundits are retarded.
    5) Most pro-gun pundits are retarded.
    6) Most people who speak out on this issue at all are retarded.
    7) The Second Amendment is retarded.
    8) The whole situation is retarded.
    I was going to say something about me being a gun owner, and not really giving a shit about gun control because it's a totally retarded, irrelevant issue that's used pretty much exclusively to distract from things that actually matter, but Feral beat me to it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    "Gun types" are hardly a monolithic entity. Yes, there is a lot of overlap with backwards fucktards...but some gun enthusiasts (like myself, or at least I'd like to think so) are pretty reasonable and progressive people.

Alternately: I'll remember this next time you expect me to care if some homos can get married, or something.
    Total bluff, of course...because I'm one of those wacky people who cares about even those rights that I don't exercise.

Your mistake is in assuming that I'm one of the ones a-tryin to take your guns away. I think maybe individual municipalities should be able to make certain reasonable restrictions, but generally I take the NRA at their word and assume that the problem is a lack of enforcement of the existing laws.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I think I'm mostly with Feral, here, except that I think he may have just called me retarded. I'm not sure.

EDIT: I've not been impressed so far with municipalities (or even some states) and "reasonable" restrictions. You get anything from D.C.'s "olol you can totally defend yourself with a disassembled rifle" ban to about half the gun laws in California that are little better than the AWB when it comes to banning based on "scariness" rather than any actual threat.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Define "assault weapons." Aside from magazine capacity, the criteria often wind up being cosmetic (as in, "scary" looking guns).

EDIT: Or in other words, we get bans written by people who don't know shit about guns (except that banning them gets them votes in their district/state), including bans on the dreaded "shoulder thing that goes up."

And that's where the problem is. Just saying 'fully automatic' doesn't even really answer it appropriately and has lots of issues on definition in its own right. Doesn't necessarily mean that a proper definition or categorization exists, though.

moniker on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also:
    If you ban flesh-melting holy arks of the covenant, only outlaws will have flesh-melting holy arks of the covenant.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited May 2008
    I think I'm mostly with Feral, here, except that I think he may have just called me retarded. I'm not sure.

I just posted in a gun control thread, so by my own reasoning I am also retarded.

So you're in good company.

Feral on

• Options
    edited May 2008
    Do you honestly think we've gotten to the point where people should be voting from the rooftops? I mean, yeah, things have gotten bad rights-wise...but have we really hit that point? I'm not sure what it is you're expecting people (or rather, gunowners) to do, here.

I'm expecting them to stop using bullshit fictitious arguments about how they're standing by to defend freedom for all of us. Because so far all they're doing is standing.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I just posted in a gun control thread, so by my own reasoning I am also retarded.

So you're in good company.

Works for me. :P

Also, fully-automatic weapons are already subject to a de facto ban at the federal level in the U.S. So, again, I ask what qualify as "assault weapons" that are in need of further banning.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Also:
    If you ban flesh-melting holy arks of the covenant, only outlaws will have flesh-melting holy arks of the covenant.

Outlaws and nazis. And I hate Illinois nazis.

moniker on