As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo starting to fill Wii release gaps

2»

• Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't know if it's nationwide or not, but in the TRU in Times Square Wiimotes are now on sale for $34.99.

If that helps matters any.
    Isn't WiiSports just a collection of minigames?
    No, from what I've heard the Wii Play games don't have nearly the depth of any of the Wii Sports games. Although I'd buy it solely for the Pong-looking air hockey.

On the other hand, I already have two controllers, and I'd like to wait for new colors before splurging to buy more.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's been said, but you're not gonna see much outside of Nintendo for the first 6-12 months of the Wii's lifespan. Even more than the DS, the Wii is a totally new way to play games, and developers are going to need time to figure out how best to implement the Wiimote into their designs. What old gameplay concepts still work, and which need to be overhauled? That was hard to figure out with the DS, and really a touch screen wasn't all that novel an input device. Nintendo's dual-screen implementation was unique, but the touch screen itself had been around forever. The Wiimote though is by and large unprecedented, so everything has to be done through trial and error, and that simply takes time.

As far as using the Wiimote, fortunately like the DS Nintendo has WarioWare hitting the system early, which is practically a developer's clinic showing every possible way the Wii's unique controller can be used. On top of that, game collections like Rayman are also good ways for developers to test out a vast number of possible control schemes and gameplay ideas without the huge investment of wrapping an entire game around them. The reason minigames are so common on the Wii right now is because there's no standard method of interaction with the Wii, so devs are having to make everything up as they go along. At that point it's easier to simply try a bunch of ideas, see what works and what doesn't, and then use that knowledge going forward. You think Ubisoft isn't watching very carefully to see which Rayman games are popular and which ones people hate?

But the real games will start to show up soon. WarioWare, like I said, is a tutorial in Wii control. Once publishers get comfortable with the Wiimote, games like Rayman will give way to the equivalent of Kirby Canvas Curse and the like. Hell, at least Trauma Center and Red Steel are already giving us full (albeit admittedly flawed) games wrapped around the Wiimote, which is more than the early DS showed. But once developers wrap their minds around the Wiimote, the floodgates are going to open.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    They'd better open, or I'll have to hurt em! :P

As for Wii Play, I'd get it just for the Tank game. That looks like come classic "Combat" style gameplay, there. :)

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm getting it just because it coems with a controller. I need some more controllers, so paying an extra $10 to add in a minigmae collection so I get more use out of the controller sounds good to me.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There is no way in hell I'll have played-out my Wii by February.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    BacklashBacklash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There is no way in hell I'll have played-out my Wii by February.

Yea, I'm in pretty much the same position. I'm only a few dungeons into TP cause I'm trying to finish everything in FFXII first, and I've still got a ton of Trauma Center left to go.

The only games I really felt like I've played enough of are ExciteTruck and Rayman, and they were both rentals.

Even if the releases are slow to come, the VC has me so enthralled that I might not even notice when all these big name Wii games come out.

Backlash on
    Absoludacrous.jpg
    SSBB: 2921-8745-1438
    Diamond: 2320-2615-4086
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited January 2007
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    But free controller.

I know plenty of people waiting for this to get a second wiimote. This is a whole extra month of no multiplayer gaming for them.
    Or they could just get a controller.

Haha, you say that like controllers are readily available in stores.
    I'm just saying, there's no reason to be tote Wii Play as a significant release because their are already controllers.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    DuckterPepperDuckterPepper Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    that videos on youtube of wario are so awesome... One Boss Stage: Sort men and woman so that they can go to the right toilet booth!

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Speaking of Wii Play: because of my impatience to get extra remotes I bought myself a copy of the game, not knowing that my dad had gone out on the day of the console's release to try and buy me an extra nunchuck + remote. He couldn't find any remotes on their own so he bought a copy of Wii Play..

So if someone in the PAL region wants a copy of the game (not the remote -- I'm not mad) I can send it out.. I'd feel bad if someone that already had 4 controllers didn't ever get to experience the joy that is Charge!

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    But free controller.
    But the reason I want a second controller is to play Wario Ware.

mcc on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Speaking of Wii Play: because of my impatience to get extra remotes I bought myself a copy of the game, not knowing that my dad had gone out on the day of the console's release to try and buy me an extra nunchuck + remote. He couldn't find any remotes on their own so he bought a copy of Wii Play..

So if someone in the PAL region wants a copy of the game (not the remote -- I'm not mad) I can send it out.. I'd feel bad if someone that already had 4 controllers didn't ever get to experience the joy that is Charge!
    how much would you want? I've ordered Wii play online, but it keeps gettign delayed, I only relly want the game, and I allready have 2 wiimotes.

LewieP on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    LewieP wrote:
    how much would you want? I've ordered Wii play online, but it keeps gettign delayed, I only relly want the game, and I allready have 2 wiimotes.

Absolutley nothing. It's not like I can take it back because I'm keeping the remote.. PM me your address if you want it.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm looking forward to February for Bust a Move Bash

Xaquin on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    mcc wrote:
    But free controller.
    But the reason I want a second controller is to play Wario Ware.
    Are there confirmed modes that use two controllers? All of the vids and write-ups I've seen just seem to imply it's hot-potato-style gameplay with one controller. Even that ludicrous one with 12 players.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)