As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Civilization IV: Colonization announced

elkataselkatas Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
2K Games Announces Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization™ for Games for Windows®
Sid Meier's Classic Colonization is recreated as a new stand-alone title in the Civilization IV® universe

2K Games Announces Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization™ for Games for Windows®
Sid Meier's Classic Colonization is recreated as a new stand-alone title in the Civilization IV® universe

New York, NY – June 9, 2008 – 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), announced today that Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization™, the next offering in the award-winning Civilization IV® universe, is currently in development at 2K's world-renowned Firaxis Games development studio. Conceived from the ground up to take advantage of the Civilization IV engine, Colonization will be available fall 2008 exclusively for Games for Windows®.

"We've received many requests from fans over the years to bring back Colonization and now seemed to be the perfect time to do that," said Sid Meier, director of creative development at Firaxis Games. "The Civilization IV engine provided a fantastic foundation for a new Colonization experience and allowed us to create something great for both new players and long time fans of the game."

In Colonization, players lead one of four European nations on a quest to conquer and rule the New World. Players will be challenged to guide their people from the oppressive motherland, discover the New World, and negotiate, trade and fight with both the natives and other nations as they acquire power and fight for freedom and independence.

As a complete reimagining of the 1994 classic, Colonization is a total conversion of Civilization IV that combines Civilization's addictive "just one more turn" gameplay with all-new graphics and features that add more depth to the franchise. New features, such as a brand-new interface, improved diplomacy options and the included modding tools ensure that Colonization will be the next great title from gaming's premier strategy game developer.

Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization for Games for Windows will be available fall 2008 and has not yet been rated by the ESRB. For more information, please visit www.civilization.com

* Colonization does not require the original Civilization IV product in order to be played.

Source

Yay! :D

Hypnotically inclined.
elkatas on

• Options
    Citizen KaneCitizen Kane Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    I absolutely love the Civilization series. I wish I could play Civ IV, but my computer isn't what you could call a gaming machine.

I'm definitely looking forward to Civilization: Revolutions on Xbox 360. I played the demo and it was really fun.

Citizen Kane on
    CitizenKane2.jpg
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh god I loved Colonization.

captaink on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I haven't seen the demo yet. I'm gonna have to now once I get home.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hate to noob up this topic, but what are the major differences between colonization and regular civ?

Brue on
  • Options
    Lars_DomusLars_Domus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Strategyinformer has a couple of screens.

I would have preferred Alpha Centauri, but a Colonization remake might turn out to be interesting indeed. I played the hell out of the original.

Lars_Domus on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm hoping this game is good, but I can imagine some bad situations.
    "You establish contact and trading with the Iroquois!" 8-)
    "Iroquis suffer massive population loss from smallpox!" D:
    Edit: Oh God I want a sequel to SMAC soooo badly.

Neaden on
  • Options
    codechinocodechino Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yea, there are some pretty major differences. one of the primary differences is the focus on resources.

when you establish a colony, you assign villagers to work on different surrounding tiles, performing a certain task (lumberjack, fisherman, sugar planter, etc). the type of job determines the type of resources you get from the square, which go into your town's stockpile. you then have other villagers assigned to work at buildings in your town to convert those resources to commodities (fur into jackets, tobacco into cigars, etc) which you then either trade to nearby colonies or ship back to your home dock for cash. you can ship the raw materials back too, but they arent worth as much.

so the buildings in your town are more interactive than in civ, and so are your villagers. you also have a home dock where you can purchase units and resources, and every now and again immigrants (that may or may not have a profession) show up.

im pretty stoked about a new colonization.

codechino on
  • Options
    jotjot Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I loved Colonization.
    Let's hope they don't mess it up.

jot on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Brue wrote: »
    Hate to noob up this topic, but are the major differences between colonization and regular civ?

Colonization looked a lot like Civ 1. It played somewhat differently. You were mainly focused on establishing colonies and extracting resources to sell to your home country. As time went on, you tried to move the refining of stuff (tobacco->cigars, for instance) to your towns, so you could sell finished products for more money. A lot had to do with what sort of colonists you could bring over. Skilled workers were much more valuable, and indentured servants were crappy.

Eventually you saved up enough to buy up a strong military. Then you could declare independence. You had to weather an invasion from the motherland, and then you won.

captaink on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Brue wrote: »
    Hate to noob up this topic, but what are the major differences between colonization and regular civ?

I just remember colonization had a lot more micromanagement at the city level (rather than just shields, food, and gold, there were several other resources) and was more focused on trade over military.

And that you won by fighting a massive war with the mother country.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    And the english and dutch were the best factions.

English had more and better colonists show up on the docks, and Dutch had stabler prices for goods in the motherland.

captaink on
  • Options
    codechinocodechino Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    captaink wrote: »
    And the english and dutch were the best factions.

English had more and better colonists show up on the docks, and Dutch had stabler prices for goods in the motherland.

no way. that +50% combat bonus that the spanish got made looting the aztecs and their like much easier. also, the natives always had the best land, and that had to be remedied.

codechino on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Colonisation was amazing. Although civ4 is a bit of a resource hog so I'm concerned that this might not be the smoothest remake.

And yes, the Spanish were the best.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh my god, I loved Colonization. This is an instant purchase for me. I've been wanting this for ages, longer than I've wanted an Alpha Centauri upgrade. <3

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, the best part of colonization was the customization you were able to get from all the colonial congress members.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah. Some of those guys kicked some serious ass.

captaink on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Day One.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    EthelredEthelred Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Not to derail the thread, but Alpha Centuari II probably won't happen because EA owns the rights to the franchise. I'd like to see it as much as the next person, but I doubt that EA would transfer the rights to Firaxis. It's more likely they'll make a crappy cash-in sequel at some point.

Ethelred on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I never played Colonization but I did play Conquest of the New World. They sound similar, and well, I love Civ.

It's good to know both of my major sources of time sinks (Will Wright and Sid Meier) want to ensure I don't get any sleep at all this fall. D:

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh Jesus fuck yes. I had entirely given up on this ever happening. Colonization is still such an awesome game.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That said, I hope this turns out a lot better than Railroads! did.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ethelred wrote: »
    Not to derail the thread, but Alpha Centuari II probably won't happen because EA owns the rights to the franchise. I'd like to see it as much as the next person, but I doubt that EA would transfer the rights to Firaxis. It's more likely they'll make a crappy cash-in sequel at some point.

unless they finally manage to buy Take2, and which point it'll just be a matter of time.

missed out on the first Colonization, but am a big fan of the Civ games, so i'll be keeping an eye on this. sounds pretty interesting, and hopefully they'll build it with multi player in mind like they did with Civ4.

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yes, yes, YES!

i still play the original to this day. :D

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, this game is scary. Bad mojo.

Of all the "just 1 more turn, why the fuck is the sun out again?" games this is the worst.

It is the best game in the same sense that crack is the best drug.

I'm afraid.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ethelred wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure we'd be fine with a "spiritual successor" type game. I mean, aside from maybe the fungus there's nothing I'm particularly attached to in the SMAC universe. You can have an economics heavy faction that isn't The Morganites as lead by CEO Morgan, for example.

Bama on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Can they add MORE complexity ? The games have been getting too simple lately

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If they price this like an expansion pack, I'm so there. If it's $50, meh.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh man, I think I just cried a little tears of joy... colonization was, in my mind, more fun than CivII (I definitely played it more, though "more" is of course a relative term with Civ games)

It's funny, I've gotten really cheap about buying most games on sale/waiting/etc, but Sid Meier could crap out almost anything and I'd pay full price on day 1 and almost always not be dissapointed

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Now if someone would just remake the other Microprose game that came out that week...

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Now all we need is Civilization IV: Master of Magic.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Now if someone would just remake the other Microprose game that came out that week...

Let's see, if it was '94, X-COM? Did they really come out the same week?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Fall from Heaven?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Fall from Heaven?

Fall from Heaven, though cool, isn't even in the same league as Master of Magic.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Fall from Heaven?

Fall from Heaven, though cool, isn't even in the same league as Master of Magic.

It's a little more balanced though. I love Master of Magic, but that game is so broke, it's not even funny.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Let's see, if it was '94, X-COM? Did they really come out the same week?

Nope, X-COM was 1993. Master of Magic, oddly enough, came out the same week as colonization.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sweet. Count me in.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited June 2008
    In the press release they say "all-new graphics" but in the screenshots it looks exactly the same as Civ IV.

Opium on
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just bought Civ IV last week. This turned out to be a very wise decision indeed.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited June 2008
    Along with Advance Wars, Civ is my ultimate "one more turn" game. Those are the only two franchises that they practically have to hack me away from once I get into it. One instance you look at the clock and it's like 8pm and the next instance you look at the clock it's 5 in the morning when playing those games. It's almost scary.

Opium on
  • Options
    LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I thought Games for Windows was a Vista-only type thing. I was near to a fit of rage and hate. I looked it up and I was wrong; GFW games work on XP. Now I am very happy. Very happy indeed.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg