As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What you didn't know about the games you play

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    Wasn't it Sandopolis? Not Sandhill?

If so: Hahahahahaha.

Dust Hill.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Two of my favorite glitches in Halo 2 that aren't used for cheating:

The first one is watching your legs walk off without you. Start any multiplayer map with a scorpion on it. Jump onto the scorpion's front, and stand over the cockpit (don't actually get in the tank). Crouchwalk into the turret. Your legs will walk away.

Technical reason: I'm just guessing, but since I have a little background programming and I know how developers can shoehorn new features into a game: to let you be able to see your own feet, Bungie programmed your legs as part of the weapon model. I'm guessing the legs part must be programmed to always move forward when you walk.

This can be made obvious by my second favorite, the no-weapons glitch.

Start a map with a neutral flag or bomb. Set starting weapons to plasma pistols. Preferably, no weapons on map. Charge up your plasma pistol, then walk up to the flag (while it's still charging) and press X to pick it up. Right as you do this, press R to throw the flag. If you do it right, you'll throw your flag AND the plasma pistol down, and are now holding no weapon.

Now, if you look down, you have no legs. Also, if you walk over ANYTHING, you'll pick it up automatically. Flags, bombs, oddballs, weapons. Interestingly, Master Chief/ Elites actually have a pose for this state - I think it's because you start with no weapon in Campaign anyway.

Another note of trivia is that with the no-weapon glitch, only players that are Spartans can throw grenades. If you're an Elite, you can't throw grenades at all.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:

Er, yeah, Sandopolis was the final name.

Sandhill Zone was what it was referred to when it was just a sonic 3 stage (before it became a sonic & knuckles level).

I'll get to that later.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    23635.jpg

Werewolves of London on the Amstrad CPC464.

Werewolves_of_London_intro.gif

Werewolves_of_London_ingame.gif

There was a tree in Hyde Park you could climb up by walking "upwards" in the right place. This was probably not the dev's intention, as after you did this, you could walk over the entire screen all over the place, leaving a snail trail of garbled sprite mess in your wake, and having the speakers screeching apeshit madness at you. Can't find a picture though :cry:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:

Er, yeah, Sandopolis was the final name.

Sandhill Zone was what it was referred to when it was just a sonic 3 stage (before it became a sonic & knuckles level).

I'll get to that later.

You already showed a few screenshots of &Knuckles zones that could be accessed in normal Sonic 3. I await to see more.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    BlazeHedgehogBlazeHedgehog Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    On the subject of Sonic: The original Sonic Adventure kept me entertained for over a year because the game has awful collision detection.

There are many, many, many places where you can exploit this problem to get to locations you aren't supposed to visit normally. Some of my closest friends in the Sonic community were made because I joined a messageboard full of people who were dedicated to glitching through walls in Sonic Adventure.

For the uneducated, it's basically like this: Most characters all visit the same base levels, but different parts of them. Sonic generally visits all levels, but other characters visit smaller chunks of levels that have been modified to suit them.

Often times, by wedging yourself inbetween the right piece of geometry, you can access areas only Sonic is supposed to visit. Sometimes, these "Sonic Only" sections are completely barren of enemies, and other times - they're fully fleshed out, as if you were supposed to visit them but those sections were blocked off at a later stage in development.

For example, Knuckles in Emerald Coast. Of course, all of the fun in doing this was ruined when Sonic Adventure DX hit the PC, because now there's trainers/hacks that automate this kind of shit for you.

But back then... I wasted so many hours trying to get Sonic, or Knuckles, or Tails to fall through a crack in a level somewhere in hopes of stumbling upon the next Hidden-Palace-Zone-type discovery.

BlazeHedgehog on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Two of my favorite glitches in Halo 2 that aren't used for cheating:

The first one is watching your legs walk off without you. Start any multiplayer map with a scorpion on it. Jump onto the scorpion's front, and stand over the cockpit (don't actually get in the tank). Crouchwalk into the turret. Your legs will walk away.

Technical reason: I'm just guessing, but since I have a little background programming and I know how developers can shoehorn new features into a game: to let you be able to see your own feet, Bungie programmed your legs as part of the weapon model. I'm guessing the legs part must be programmed to always move forward when you walk.

This can be made obvious by my second favorite, the no-weapons glitch.

Start a map with a neutral flag or bomb. Set starting weapons to plasma pistols. Preferably, no weapons on map. Charge up your plasma pistol, then walk up to the flag (while it's still charging) and press X to pick it up. Right as you do this, press R to throw the flag. If you do it right, you'll throw your flag AND the plasma pistol down, and are now holding no weapon.

Now, if you look down, you have no legs. Also, if you walk over ANYTHING, you'll pick it up automatically. Flags, bombs, oddballs, weapons. Interestingly, Master Chief/ Elites actually have a pose for this state - I think it's because you start with no weapon in Campaign anyway.

Another note of trivia is that with the no-weapon glitch, only players that are Spartans can throw grenades. If you're an Elite, you can't throw grenades at all.

I was watching a vid where the guy was jumping around like he was on a super pogo stick. do you know anything about that glitch?

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    That's called superbouncing. It's mostly used to cheat by getting on top of the levels (because I guess Bungie doesn't believe in ceilings).

I shit you not, this is how it works:

First, you find a part of the level geometry that's low enough for you to crouch into and it'll hold you down. you walk into the wall for a couple of seconds and walk out.

Then, you look for a certain spot on the map and try to jump onto it. Zoom, you'll go flying into the air. The spots that work seem to be seams in the map geometry - they can be seen on Xbox Live by pulling up your friends list and backing out really quick.

The theory is that the version of Havok that Bungie used thinks you are either stuck inside the level geometry or that you're hitting an undefined surface - so it ejects you as fast as possible in an effort to keep you from getting stuck.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    FyreWulff wrote:
    That's called superbouncing. It's mostly used to cheat by getting on top of the levels (because I guess Bungie doesn't believe in ceilings).

it reminded me of super rocket jump from quake 2.. made me smile.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    89oz4.png

In the sonic 2 prerelease, this is the level referred to as "Dusthill zone."

Why sega would name a level obviously set in a cave, "Dust hill" is beyond me, but hey, fucking retarded was the name of the game during sonic 2's developement. Obviously, it'd later be changed to "Mystic Cave Zone," but what we see here is damn different from the final version.

It's fucking EVIL. Hardest sonic level. It's just trap after trap after trap arranged, almost like a test level. Look at this shit:

4668bm0.png

5810eo0.png

come on, 6 fucking rotating boxes? That's fucking unfair.

There are no enemies, no bosses, nothing. Just pure fucking hardness.

Now, to change the subject a bit, since I've been talking about Dusthill Zone which exists only as a screenshot, I'd like to share a bunch of other "concept only" bad guys that exist in sonic 2.

What's odd is that almost every badguy who existed in concept was fully fleshed out in sonic 2. Every one has a sprite, and almost all of them function complete with game code. They just weren't used. So enjoy this gallery of oddness:

7023vj8.png
    The Bumper would send Sonic flying when stepped on. Two scrapped zones, Desert Zone and Rock Zone, were mentioned and connected with time travel element!

8677au5.png
    The spinning Ball would bounce and crush Sonic if he's not careful!
    5684ug2.gif

2914vg7.png
    The Fish that jumps above the water actually made its way into the game. However, the same can't be said about the Frog that would leap high, and turn around whenever he wants.

BlazeHedgehog has re-created the sprites based on the sketch, and is kind enough to allow others to use them in their hacks:

YUP, that's our very own BlazeHedgehog. Here's his sprite:
    1414ea9.gif

7686oe2.png
    The Bubbler was planned for Chemical Plant Zone. It would sit on the ground until Sonic is close by then it would rupture and injure Sonic. They would be dropped from the sky by another flying enemy aptly called the Bubbler's Mother.
    6772sn9.gif
    4410uh6.gif

8775mh0.png
    The innocent Bee looks similar to the Buzzer, but it would target bridges, destroying them and would force Sonic to take an alternate path, or worse!
    4177il5.gif

Other enemies or objects that exist only in sprite form:
    2316oy3.gif
    7622ia6.gif
    1809xt9.gif

Now, about that list image, we actually know what the sitting down sprite was for. See, a long time ago, during sonic 2's developement, sega had the stupid-ass idea that, if sonic ran full force into a wall, he should be thrown back. The idea sounds cool, but sucks hard when everytime you fly into a wall, you have to wait 2 or 3 seconds for the animation to stop. This idea was scrapped, and I wish the same kind of quality control would be used for newer sonic games.

Now, if you were reading carefully, you noticed it mentioned time travel...

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    seam2.jpg
    HOLY SHIT!
    IS that a head?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    BlazeHedgehogBlazeHedgehog Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's worth mentioning that my sprite was based on a slightly more complete sketch TSR didn't show.

BlazeHedgehog on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Senor Fish wrote:
    seam2.jpg
    HOLY SHIT!
    IS that a head?

That's Biggoron. Of Biggoron's Sword fame.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Now, if you know sonic, you know that the time travelling sonic game is Sonic CD, and that it was released after sonic 2.

Well guess what - they were once the same game. Sonic 2 was originally going to be sega's ultimate game - released on every sega console simutaniously. Gamegear, Sega Master System, Genesis, and Sega CD. All at once. Each one was going to be similar, but handled by a different team. So in the end, you'd have 3 different versions of sonic 2 made by different teams that were all the same game. Great for business, and the gamer wins too, because we get 3 sorta-different games.

In fact, sonic CD was originally called Sonic 2 CD. A few images of "Sonic 2 CD" exist, behold:

sonic2cdnd4.jpg

Weird stuff. Now, with this in mind, Sonic 2 on the genesis was, at one point, supposed to revolve around the same Time Travel element. This is where a lot of theories get thrown around. First and foremost - Emerald Hill Zone and Hill Top Zone. Many believe Hill Top Zone is Emerald Hill Zone's "Past" or "future." Like wise, Wood Zone would be Metropolis Zone's past. You can go through and list a ton of different zones that would correspond.

However, the idea was dropped from the genesis version at one point.

Still, these 3 games have a lot of odd links that can be explained at this one point, when they were the same game. I'll get into that later.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Senor Fish wrote:
    seam2.jpg
    HOLY SHIT!
    IS that a head?

I'm pretty sure that's Biggoron.

Edit: Curse you MechMantis! From this day forth we are enemies.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Senor Fish wrote:
    seam2.jpg
    HOLY SHIT!
    IS that a head?

Fail miserably.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    MechMantis wrote:
    Senor Fish wrote:
    seam2.jpg
    HOLY SHIT!
    IS that a head?

Fail miserably.
    I never got around to finishing OoT, so...yeah...
    Hey, those sonic glitches are really cool...though now your delving more into the history. But it's all still really cool.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Moving on, if we select "Starlight Zone" from the level select, we get Emerald Hill Zone.

A lot of things are weird about this, but they're not skin deep. First up, the game refers to the level as "Green hill Zone." That's right, Emerald Hill Zone was originally the sequel to Green Hill Zone.

For the most part, it looks identical to the final version. Little differences are that is uses Sonic 1's Starlight Zone's music, and tails is abscent in the level (they probably didn't want to show him off yet.)

1050rf7.gif

The sign post was orignally different.

9595fs8.png

A deleted enemy, based loosely on the Motobug design from sonic 1.

9833pd0.png

The odd lampposts I posted earlier were in the game at one time, and worked.

306dw8.png

Oddest of all, the boss is in the level, complete, and working.

Beating him takes you to the SEGA logo.

So, we have 2 levels called Greenhill Zone. And, oddly enough, there is another level in the game called Neo greenhill Zone...

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Anyone care to let me write about how you can get ahold of the gun the Scarab uses in the Halo 2 campaign? And the fact that if you play it just right, you can recieve two Scarab Guns and dual wield death and destruction?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Senor Fish wrote:
    MechMantis wrote:
    Senor Fish wrote:
    We know what goes here by now.
    HOLY SHIT!
    IS that a head?

Fail miserably.
    I never got around to finishing OoT, so...yeah...
    Hey, those sonic glitches are really cool...though now your delving more into the history. But it's all still really cool.

No, "Fail" as in I already mentioned it in this thread. Double-fail.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Anyone care to let me write about how you can get ahold of the gun the Scarab uses in the Halo 2 campaign? And the fact that if you play it just right, you can recieve two Scarab Guns and dual wield death and destruction?

DOO EEET

yalborap on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There are so many in Oblivion, but I can't find any images or gifs, so I'll link the ytmnds instead.

Bodies spasming around when they get caught in doors

Oh I found a page with some images. Like this gem:

deer.jpg

And the best bug ever in Oblivion is the dupe bug, especially with watermelons. Probably the bug which will make your computer scream with pain and anguish.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Alright, so I lied. Neo greenhill zone isn't all that interesting.

It's just an incredibly buggy version of Aquatic Ruin Zone.

5360nw1.png

See? Buggy.

And thats pretty much it for sonic 2. So we got 2 sonic's down, just Sonic CD, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic Blast, Sonic Crackers, Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic 2 Game Gear, Sonic Spinball, and Sonic Xtreme left to talk to.

I'm gonna go make a sandwich. I'll let the people decide which game they want to hear about next.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    thor got wrote:
    There are so many in Oblivion, but I can't find any images or gifs, so I'll link the ytmnds instead.

Bodies spasming around when they get caught in doors

Oh I found a page with some images. Like this gem:

deer.jpg

And the best bug ever in Oblivion is the dupe bug, especially with watermelons. Probably the bug which will make your computer scream with pain and anguish.
    That was always fun to do. Feed all the orphans, you can.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm gonna go make a sandwich. I'll let the people decide which game they want to hear about next.
    I say just go with order of release.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

5360nw1.png

See? Buggy.

And thats pretty much it for sonic 2. So we got 2 sonic's down, just Sonic CD, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic Blast, Sonic Crackers, Knuckles Chaotix, Sonic 2 Game Gear, Sonic Spinball, and Sonic Xtreme left to talk to.

Crackers!

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

5360nw1.png

See? Buggy.

DO SONIC XTREME! I think I still have the Sonic collection with the video of it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't need to hear about Xtreme, I just want to play the nearly completed version.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In the name of continuity, I'd say just go in chronological order.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Three!

Then CD!

MechMantis on
  • Options
    ManyorcasManyorcas Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I feel like we're in Area 49 Zone with this thread, jeez. o_O

Very awesome synopsis though TRS :^:

Edit: oh, no Robotnics Mean Bean Machine option? :lol:

Manyorcas on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

5360nw1.png

See? Buggy.

pfft.. just go in the order you just listed.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Anything is good.
    I would post a "glitch" I found in fear, but it turns out I was using the giant nail gun.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This sonic shit is fascinating.

Though I'm not really understanding what policy you'd be breaking with a URL, Oh well.

Projeck on
  • Options
    StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I enjoy findings in the Sonic community as well. While the Genesis Sonic games have always had alot of stuff hidden in them I enjoy reading about the games that never were... like Sonic Xtreme. Mainly because anything thats in Sonic Xtreme is a mystery.

Knuckle Chaotix is also pretty cool. The game was created ontop of a canceled Sonic game which had Sonic and Tails bound by rings. The debug menu was found awhile back and it confirmed that at one point in time that Sonic and Tails were supposed to star in Chaotix. The character select screen shows Mighty as #1 (who had an almost identical sprite set as Sonic), #2 as being empty as Tails was entirely removed, and Knuckles as #3. If character slot 2 was selected Knuckles sprite would be loaded, but he would have a different pallete which seemed to be the same one used by Tails.

Sometimes I try watching Nick Arcade on the Nickolodeon Sports channel just because I have a small amount of hope that I can see the Sonic 2 prototype shows in non internet based quality. Also I'm fairly sure youtube has the video where it describes a connection between Sonic 3s music and Micheal Jackson's music... its interesting.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    plufim wrote:
    I say just go with order of release.

My vote goes here.

And I think I know why they can't say some things based on the quasi-legality. Anyway TSR this is interesting as hell, and Blaze, cool stuff as well. I anticpate more of this. I was going to go to bed an hour ago :)

piL on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wasn't there an arcade Sonic game that used the trackball?

Couscous on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Senor Fish wrote:
    Anything is good.
    I would post a "glitch" I found in fear, but it turns out I was using the giant nail gun.

What was the 'glitch'?

yalborap on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Release order.

And it's probably something to do with the forbidden word.

Duki on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    Wasn't there an arcade Sonic game that used the trackball?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SegaSonic_the_Hedgehog

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts