As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Intra-forum relations.

1234568»

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The chat thread was an entity unto itself where an exclusive clique of people posted anime screencaps and asked what to have for dinner.

It was no great loss.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    jclast wrote: »
    For the record, Tube, I'm not trying to convince you to put it/them back. You're an admin, and you'll run the place as you see fit. My reply was more at Szechuan asking "why do you think it's the default to whine, cry, and carry on when you're uncomfortable in <whatever thread> instead of just not going in there?"

I do just not go in them rather than 'whine, cry and carry on'. The point was to illustrate the intensity of the clique that chat threads create. They effectively operate as cliques within cliques. Metacliques if you will. Despite being a very long time poster in G&T, the G&T chat thread made me feel like an outsider. I don't particularly care from a personal point of view, it's just a point worth making on the whole intra-forum relations thing. Internal chat threads seem to be a negative force when trying to create a cross-forum community.

Personally though, I don't think there needs to be total cross forum homogeneity. The member count is large enough that mini-communities are both inevitable and probably actually desirable to a certain degree for general stability. The problems arise when a cluster becomes too entrenched and they effectively become an isolated splinter that acts with total independence from the larger group. At that point, severing them is not only inevitable but also harmless to the rest of the forum because they long since stopped interacting with the wider group anyway so were effectively just parasitic. The problem is that when that happens, people seem to think that the only proper solution is the other extreme - to force ably merge a wide variety of people with different personalities and interests, which is both futile and pointless.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    For the record, Tube, I'm not trying to convince you to put it/them back. You're an admin, and you'll run the place as you see fit. My reply was more at Szechuan asking "why do you think it's the default to whine, cry, and carry on when you're uncomfortable in <whatever thread> instead of just not going in there?"

I do just not go in them rather than 'whine, cry and carry on'. The point was to illustrate the intensity of the clique that chat threads create. They effectively operate as cliques within cliques. Metacliques if you will. Despite being a very long time poster in G&T, the G&T chat thread made me feel like an outsider. I don't particularly care from a personal point of view, it's just a point worth making on the whole intra-forum relations thing. Internal chat threads seem to be a negative force when trying to create a cross-forum community.

Personally though, I don't think there needs to be total cross forum homogeneity. The member count is large enough that mini-communities are both inevitable and probably actually desirable to a certain degree for general stability. The problems arise when a cluster becomes too entrenched and they effectively become an isolated splinter that acts with total independence from the larger group. At that point, severing them is not only inevitable but also harmless to the rest of the forum because they long since stopped interacting with the wider group anyway so were effectively just parasitic. The problem is that when that happens, people seem to think that the only proper solution is the other extreme - to force ably merge a wide variety of people with different personalities and interests, which is both futile and pointless.
    I can only really speak for the 360 and DS megathreads (as they are the only 2 I ever ventured in to), but the folks that posted in those posted all over G&T. Seems like a lot of it to me is just that people need to grow up a little bit. You're not going to be comfortable everywhere, the end.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I came to the PA forums first to find out about the 360. I went into the 360 Megathread and found it a welcoming, heplful place. Once I was comfortable there, I started venturing to other parts of the forum, seeing what was out there and getting involved.

Then without warning, we were all told we weren't welcome, and to eat a dick about it. then called crybabies, dicks, and whiners. And told to leave. I would assume that someone could appreciate the unprofessionalism that was involved with the way it was handled.

Much like getting told not to be a dick. Very professional, Ramius.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You're not really helping your cause.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    You're not really helping your cause.

What cause? I'm not trying to change anything. And I was perfectly happy lurking and checking out the Fallout thread occassionaly until it was brought up again, and the same folks started acting the same way again about it.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    we're not talking about the chat thread

if anyone would like to talk to me about the chat thread a prerequisite is that they post a video of themselves (ID will be required) banging their head against a solid wall (brick would be suitable) with enough force to be called "considerable" as preparation for the persuasion attempt.

oh hey, cardboard tube being a dick to anyone who tries to start a serious conversation on how to make this place better, and sticking his fingers into his ears, running away, going "lalalalalalalalallalalalalalalalallaa"

why am i not surprised to walk into this thread and see this.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    SoupSoup Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    valhalla the way you're acting it seems like you deserve to be called a crybaby

Soup on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Soup wrote: »
    valhalla the way you're acting it seems like you deserve to be called a crybaby

Well, if you're going to be called one with no proof whatsoever, why not? I'm never been anything but reasonable. I'm not trying to change anything. I understand they had a reason for what they wanted to do, and while I did not agree with it, I would have been perfectly happy to accept such changes, had they been a little less... confrontational about it. And calling people dicks for talking about things, or crybabies, certainly didn't help me want to be reasonable.

Just to let everyone know,, I will nto be talking about this again. Sorry for keeping it going.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I came to the PA forums first to find out about the 360. I went into the 360 Megathread and found it a welcoming, heplful place. Once I was comfortable there, I started venturing to other parts of the forum, seeing what was out there and getting involved.

Then without warning, we were all told we weren't welcome, and to eat a dick about it. then called crybabies, dicks, and whiners. And told to leave. I would assume that someone could appreciate the unprofessionalism that was involved with the way it was handled.

Much like getting told not to be a dick. Very professional, Ramius.

First, you weren't told you weren't welcome at PA. You simply weren't welcome to make megathreads/chat threads in G&T anymore.

Second, "without warning" is a complete lie as the banning of the chat thread was announced well enough in advance and the banning of the megathreads in G&T was announced three-to-four months in advance. I believe the announcement came out in, oh, September or October or something and they lasted until January, didn't they?

Third, if the way you are acting now is even a shadow of how you acted then, then you shouldn't be surprised to be called a whining crybaby dick, because that's how you're coming off.

There are ways to complain. "Ad nauseum" isn't one of them. I'm not even an admin and I have to say, all the whining and all the attempted trolling of SE++ annoyed the shit out of me, as a fellow forumer. It was spamtastically annoying.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    George Bush doesn't care about chat threads.

What purpose is this thread actually serving now? It seems most people are happy with the way things are, at least as far as they can be controlled. I sometimes drop into SE or D&D when there's no new threads that interest me in G&T, I accept that things run a bit different in each of those, and sometimes I feel I can contribute, other times there's in-jokes that go right past me. I'm also happy to accept that the people in charge here are working in the interest of making things better for everyone, rather than just getting off on some kind of power trip.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Seems like a lot of it to me is just that people need to grow up a little bit. You're not going to be comfortable everywhere, the end.

Basically, yeah.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    jothki wrote: »
    I would assume that the people who don't post in SE++ largely don't do so because they don't like that board's style. Expecting us to alter our tastes to enjoy SE++ is as unreasonable as expecting SE++ to change to suit us.

aah, but you see, for us to post in g&t and d&d and such, we do have to change to suit you guys. (or at least the tone and rules of the forum)

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Belruel wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    I would assume that the people who don't post in SE++ largely don't do so because they don't like that board's style. Expecting us to alter our tastes to enjoy SE++ is as unreasonable as expecting SE++ to change to suit us.

aah, but you see, for us to post in g&t and d&d and such, we do have to change to suit you guys. (or at least the tone and rules of the forum)

Modifying your behavior to fit social contexts? Why, that's absurd!

Now if you don't mind, I must go streak at the country club.

MKR on
  • Options
    TheFid2TheFid2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Second, "without warning" is a complete lie as the banning of the chat thread was announced well enough in advance and the banning of the megathreads in G&T was announced three-to-four months in advance. I believe the announcement came out in, oh, September or October or something and they lasted until January, didn't they?

Actually, both the announcement and closing were in September.

But this was September of 2006 which was TWO FUCKING YEARS AGO.

TheFid2 on
    HillisSig2.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2008
    This thread is now locked and its flight path will be brought up the next time someone asks why I don't discuss things more.

To everyone who tore themselves away from their splinter forum to come and harangue me about things that happened two years ago before I was admin I would like to say good job moving on with your lives.

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.