As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS2 exclusive must haves

13»

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Sly Cooper series and the Ratchet and Clank series are great. Never got into the Jak series personally, but many people seem to like them.

Basically the PS2 is really good for getting your jump button on.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is Suikoden Tactics any good? I have Suikoden III, and I couldn't even get past the first city. I think the duck just pissed me off...

Or something.

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Demon Stone, the D&D game. I think it's only on this. A multi-player hack and slash/beat 'em up game...that's one player.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Reynolds wrote:
    Demon Stone, the D&D game. I think it's only on this. A multi-player hack and slash/beat 'em up game...that's one player.

Demon Stone is on PC, PS2, and Xbox.

Is it actually good? I bought it for the PC on the cheap awhile back but never installed it.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Eteric wrote:
    Is Suikoden Tactics any good? I have Suikoden III, and I couldn't even get past the first city. I think the duck just pissed me off...

Or something.
    It's no Suikoden 1, 2 or 5 but I'd still call it good. Certainly a large improvement over the crapfest called Suikoden IV anyway.

As for Demon Stone, having played a fair way through it, I'd say no. It's not good. The two LOTR hack and slash games are far better and just much more fun.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Reynolds wrote:
    It comes out on PS2, and suddenly I hear everyone and their mother talking about how awesome this new game is.

God. I fucking hate that people are stupid enough to make things like this possible.

So you're pissed that a ridiculously huge amount of people started playing it once it hit a system with a ridiculously huge installed base? You're retarded. Hint: More people own PS2s than they do GameCubes, so it would be reasonable to think that more people buy PS2 games than they do GameCube games, so it would be reasonable to expaect a company interested in making money to release it's flagship title of the time on the system with somewhere around 100,000,000 possible customers. As of late last year, RE4 on the PS2 had already outsold the GC version by 500,000 copies.

I second the non-reccomendation for Demon Stone. I wasted a free rental on it and was still disappointed. There is much better hack-and-slash available for the PS2.

I have a chance to pick up the PS2 Escape from monkey Island game, can anyone tell me if it's any good compared to the older games? As far as I know, it didn't hit the Xbox or Cube.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TIMESPLITTERS.

TIMESPLITTERS 2.

TIMESPLITTERS: FUTURE PERFECT.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Einhander wrote:
    Reynolds wrote:
    It comes out on PS2, and suddenly I hear everyone and their mother talking about how awesome this new game is.

God. I fucking hate that people are stupid enough to make things like this possible.

So you're pissed that a ridiculously huge amount of people started playing it once it hit a system with a ridiculously huge installed base? You're retarded. Hint: More people own PS2s than they do GameCubes, so it would be reasonable to think that more people buy PS2 games than they do GameCube games, so it would be reasonable to expaect a company interested in making money to release it's flagship title of the time on the system with somewhere around 100,000,000 possible customers. As of late last year, RE4 on the PS2 had already outsold the GC version by 500,000 copies.
    I think he may have been more pissed about the fact that he tried to show them RE4 on the Gamecube and their response was "meh." Then they get it for the PS2, and suddenly everything changes.

ronzo on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    That would make sense.

If that's true, I would figure that it's because the majority of RE fans have played the series, which for the most part has stuck with Sony hardware, and now they have PS2s.

I don't know how many GC owners have PS1s and PS2s and have played the previous RE games, but it is probably a much smaller amount.

Considering the low sales figures of REmake, RE0, and the really terrible ports of RE2 and RE3, I'm not surprised that there wasn't a terrible amount of RE fans that only owned Game Cubes. Even though REmake was a cool rehash of the original RE with a fuller storyline, new play mechanics, and some shiny graphics, it still didn't make sales waves at all. RE0 wasn't that hot, and the ports were mildly cleaned up PS1 versions, upstaged by the superior DC releases.

Speaking of RE, Code Veronica X is a great game if you haven't played it already. It fills in quite a bit of storyline, and has quite a bit of Wesker presence compared to other games in the series. It doesn't look as good as the Dreamcast version, but it does have Wesker's report, which is rad.

An exclusive RE game released, which later has a mildly graphically inferior version released on the PS2 with added stuff is by no means a new occurance. :wink:

Edit: Stay away from the Outbreak series unless you're a die-hard RE fan, though. They're pretty shit.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Disco BanditDisco Bandit Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've heard FFX and FFX-2 were good (FFX-2 sucked storywise, but awesome gameplay), but I haven't actually played them.

FFXII is awesome, and gambits are awesome.

Disco Bandit on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5412 9146 7564
  • Options
    EtericEteric Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, I'd prefer a pick of the litter RPG list, rather than "some good ones with a bunch of mediocre ones."

:)

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If you're looking for a hack and slash i recommend Champions : Return to Arms.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've heard FFX and FFX-2 were good (FFX-2 sucked storywise, but awesome gameplay), but I haven't actually played them.
    What you hear is entirely correct.
    FFX-2's storyline is fine as long as you expect all the seriousness of, say, Disgaea without being as funny. It still has the mild charm of not taking itself terribly seriously.

Xagarath on