As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game Technologies I'd like to see.

13»

• Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    oh shit that reminds me

if you hit a guy so hard he gets thrown through a wall or smashed into a ceiling or soemthing i'd like to see that impact do some damage rather than cushion their fall

Nuzak on
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »

This is what I want. Do want. When all games look and act like this it will be an awesome day indeed.

I want to be able to use heavy weapons to blow a hole directly to the goal if I want. The only problem I see is exactly what i want though, developers would have to put restrictions in somewhere else people would be bypassing the switch (That's hidden alll the way across the level) and just blowing a hole through the door instead.

Still.. I want this. I want to be able to actually collapse the entire building if I so choose. Even if just for fun. That kind of freedom would rock.

Next gen FTW.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've been in a PvP map with 800 players engaged in either combat or defense in EVE Online.

However, once Band of Brothers (the enemy) pulled in a Titan the server crashed from the sheer lag, and so it brought down the entire cluster. It was so big, the in game news reported it, explaining it off as a "magnetosolar event in 49-". 49- being the star system where combat was focused.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You know what I want? For a character to perform an "I've just been interrupted" speech properly. In cut-scenes with subtitles, not only do we see that they're about to be interrupted, but it takes a second or two for the other character to interrupt them. A second or two of uncomfortable, awkward silence as you wait for it to happen. Witness Mass Effect as a recent example. It's a small, small thing but it annoys me incredibly as it's such a simple thing to do properly.

Also, for games like Test Drive Unlimited and the like, I actually wouldn't mind some of the more typical cars people drive. I know the point of these games is to simulate driving something you'll never be able to in real life, but petrolheads (and I don't even drive) will appreciate the choice. In fact, some more realistic choices in every game would be nice... spanning a fairly broad spectrum, there >_>

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Jasoco wrote: »

This is what I want. Do want. When all games look and act like this it will be an awesome day indeed.

I want to be able to use heavy weapons to blow a hole directly to the goal if I want. The only problem I see is exactly what i want though, developers would have to put restrictions in somewhere else people would be bypassing the switch (That's hidden alll the way across the level) and just blowing a hole through the door instead.

Still.. I want this. I want to be able to actually collapse the entire building if I so choose. Even if just for fun. That kind of freedom would rock.

Next gen FTW.

It would be technically nest gen because anything this gen would implode trying to run those.

Still though, I HUNGER.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Simultaneously, of course.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »

Next gen FTW.

It would be technically nest gen because anything this gen would implode trying to run those.

Still though, I HUNGER.
    Uh... Red Faction?

I also don't get why there was never any buzz over that Gears 2 tech demo. I saw some interesting engine enhancements. The media apparently saw olol meatcube.

Monger on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That techdemo was very very interesting to watch, I had never even heard of that tech demo before. It made me want the game though

Dixon on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    "Toys Colonel Gentleman Wishes He Had When He Was a Lad but They Weren't Invented Yet"

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Next gen FTW.
    I believe the next 'Red Faction' Game is doing this or something like it.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    FishMistFishMist Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Developers might actually have to come with another game mechanic to replace the ole "open this door by pressing a button on the other end of the map" deal, which probably isn't such a bad thing...

FishMist on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Monger wrote: »
    Uh... Red Faction?

I also don't get why there was never any buzz over that Gears 2 tech demo. I saw some interesting engine enhancements. The media apparently saw olol meatcube.

Red Faction Was shit hot for it's time, but there was a limit to how much could be destroyed and it wasn't exactly perfect, but a step in the right direction. I don't know about you, but Red Faction: Geurilla is turning out better than I thought it would.

Red Faction Back Story Video with Destruction Tech

Some nice stuff.

Yeah, I was also a bit confused as to why there wasn't any hoopalah about Gears of War 2's destructibility, it was something that promised in the first but never happened. The game would have been pretty awesome if cover slowly wittled away and forced you to think about where to go all the time.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Roshin wrote: »
    Persistant bodies and decals.

The first UT had a mod where you could tell it to let all bodies and decals (ie blast marks, bullet holes, blood stains, etc) stay and not fade away, like they normally do. Eventually this would cause black smoke to come out of your system, but it made a huge difference to the experience.

It felt like you actually had an impact on the game world, even though no geometry was changed. It's difficult to explain, but it changed everything and we really should have the technology to do this today.

Like in Gears, where bodies, etc stay over rounds.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I see your concept video and raise you DMM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z734GXypSwk

There's a better DMM video out there somewhere, with different kinds of materials reacting differently depending on where they get hit, how hard, etc. I can't find it, though.

Yeah Digital Molecular matter is pretty good stuff.

I believe the best video to see is the Star Wars Unleased trailers that are popping up everywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldgdLW3aQEA

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The technology to make nice looking graphics without applying gloss liberally

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

It's mostly just UE3, look at cryengine 2 or whatever's in stalker. I don't know if it's a limitation of UE3 or just the art style that epic likes (and the other companies who use it are too lazy to change), but it bugs me too.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

It's mostly just UE3, look at cryengine 2 or whatever's in stalker. I don't know if it's a limitation of UE3 or just the art style that epic likes (and the other companies who use it are too lazy to change), but it bugs me too.

I just played a shitload of RE4 on the 'Cube and then watched a Mercenaries 2 trailer

I groaned out loud because RE4 was so much more pleasing to the eye

No more plastic graphics please

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png