Options

The Free MMO Überlist (updated: Oct 11)

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have no idea why the Dofus stuff warrants so many spin-offs, but at least they're vaguely original.

Still haven't played any of the games, though. O well.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    This preview from Eurogamer has me all excited: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=158990&page=1

Aldo on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    This preview from Eurogamer has me all excited: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=158990&page=1

well don't be

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Wren wrote: »

well don't be

well okay

Aldo on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I found the beta to be great fun, until I ran out of fresh content. But then, I have the same problem with Diablo, which got dumped after Normal difficulty was completed.

Glal on
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    A friend pointed me towards Age of Armor. Apparently mech-based-transformerish MMO. Didn't see it on the list so thought I would through it out here.

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    maraxus94 wrote: »
    A friend pointed me towards Age of Armor. Apparently mech-based-transformerish MMO. Didn't see it on the list so thought I would through it out here.
    Looks very Gundam-y, but I can't find any proper information on it. D:

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    maraxus94 wrote: »
    Looks very Gundam-y, but I can't find any proper information on it. D:

Ya, their website is not that great, which usually is a bad sign. I resorted to Youtube videos but...nothing really there either.

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I no longer recommend the browser game Ikariam to y'all, recent changes in the game made it significantly less fun and demands, pleads and questions from players were ignored.

The game is still far from finished and it is still entirely possible that it will be more fun to play in a few months, but in it's current state it is not fun enough to make me want to yell at others to give it a try.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Got an invite to 4story, another game n game vehicle.

Check out the screenshots and tell me what game this reminds you of http://global.4story.com/introduction/features/4story.asp

Aldo on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh good lord that's blatant. :|

Glal on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Wow, it is like they are using the same engine and color pallet and everything...also, found one quote that would rival Colbert's now-famous invention, Truthiness.
    "The world composed with three Kingdoms with very different indivisuality and history.."
    Indivisuality, the particularly aesthetic individual?

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wow, that doesn't look at all like any game I've ever played... Seriously, isn't that paladin tier 4 in that one picture?

I'm tempted to try the game, anyway. Maybe it'll be both bad enough and similar enough to cure my WoW cravings for a few months.

Hevach on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I... uh? It looks nothing like WoW, the style is a blatant rip off of FFXI

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Actually it looks like Dungeon Siege which wanted to look like WoW. It also has an FFXI influence to it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You don't think so?

First screen shot on that page: The mining machine is very similar to those seen in the gold mines around Stormwind and neighboring zones, the chainsaw blade included. The armor, as I mentioned, is very similar to Paladin sets, and the ore node is of the same style - less rock, more crystal, but still.

Second screenshot: dishes on the table are close enough to those seen in human and dwarven areas that they almost look like the textures were lifted from WoW. The staff the gnomeish thing is very similar to a great number of junk green staves in WoW (usually with some type of troll or voodoo related name), particularly the two small skulls. The woman's haircut and posture both could pass for WoW if not for face. her wepon's fairly generic, but WoW has a great number of katanas, all of which have similar handles. Also note the corner of the tent or building in the background, and compare to tauren buildings.

Hevach on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Check out the screenshots and tell me what game this reminds you of http://global.4story.com/introduction/features/4story.asp

wow with ff11 races?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Wren wrote: »

wow with ff11 races?

you know, that actually sounds like an interesting thing to play. :P

Aldo on
  • Options
    beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Atlantica Online
    http://atlantica.ndoorsgames.com/center/default.asp

"Atlantica is a turn-based game that lets you command a large roster of mercenaries, up to a total of 27 in all. These mercenaries can be gotten as infants (legally, we hope), and actually age as the game progresses. When they get older, their stats decrease, so you'll need to keep bringing in new blood to keep your team strong. You can even marry mercenaries and raise their children to fight for you." [1]

[1] http://www.massively.com/2008/06/19/atlantica-to-offer-interesting-turn-based-play/

I got a closed beta key for this and have high hopes. It's a turn based strategy mmo.

Combat Arms
    http://combatarms.nexon.net/default.aspx
    From Nexon (Maple Story), it's an MMOFPS, just went live today.

beta.lyrae on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Giving Combat arms a DL, always up for some free MMOFPS action, impressions once I've gone through the hoops and am actually playing

in as Fleck0 if anyone else wants to throw caution to the wind

edit: yeah it's total crap, that's the impression I got after a few rounds...

Worse than either war rock or americas army at least

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    updated, thanks for the links beta.lyrae.

Atlantica Online
    Currently in closed beta
    A stunning looking TBS offering a persistent world in which guilds can control cities. You can control up to 27 characters on the battlefield whom you can tune just like you want to. However, they age and lose power when they get older. That makes important to keep attracting young blood to fight for you.

4story
    soon to hit open beta
    A game that looks almost identical to WoW, but with characters a bit like FF XI. In my humble opinion games like these should not see the light of day. Developers should do their own game instead of copy/paste'ing from Blizzard.

Combat Arms
    Currently in open beta
    A MMOFPS in a modern war setting. Score your headshots and rule supreme. Fleck0 said it sucked and that he'd rather play American Army or War Rock.

Aldo on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Haha, I've heard about 4Story blatantly ripping off FFXI characters (specifically the TaruTaru race) but WoW elements too?!

Still, I gotta try it out, looks polished, but for all I know they could've just ripped models from WoW and chucked it in their own engine :?

[edit] I've just checked, Granado Espada has finally become free to play (well it became F2P on 5 Dec 2007, according to wikipedia). It's my preferred version of Sword of the New World (the US renaming of the same game) as it closely matches the original Korean one. It's still a grinder, and the 4GB client download is the only thing putting me off for now.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Airan wrote: »
    Haha, I've heard about 4Story blatantly ripping off FFXI characters (specifically the TaruTaru race) but WoW elements too?!

Still, I gotta try it out, looks polished, but for all I know they could've just ripped models from WoW and chucked it in their own engine :?

[edit] I've just checked, Granado Espada has finally become free to play (well it became F2P on 5 Dec 2007, according to wikipedia). It's my preferred version of Sword of the New World (the US renaming of the same game) as it closely matches the original Korean one. It's still a grinder, and the 4GB client download is the only thing putting me off for now.
    I've still got it on my PC, it's rather fun to mess around with, although I'm kinda stuck on what I should be doing. I'm in that first dungeon (the cathedral thing) and there's a lot to do, but it just doesn't seem worth it to put effort in.

Also: those special characters you get are weird, some of them might prove useful, but I'd rather play with my own characters instead. Dunno if I'm shooting myself through the foot if I keep doing that.

Aldo on
  • Options
    MithMith Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Following up on something from a few pages ago: I've been playing Dreamlords: The Reawakening recently.

There's potential, but right now it seems still under development - the game balance is pretty wonky, and after a few days there's not much to do but grind. Apparently this is a relaunch after changes and the first version had a lot more content that can be adapted in, so there's some hope. I've mostly stopped playing for now but will check it out when they reset to a new "era", probably in the next couple months.

I have an Atlantica CB key, so when that starts in a week I'll be trying that out.

Mith on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If War Rock belongs in this thread, I suppose Wolf Team does as well. It's a Japanese Counterstrike clone only you can turn into a big nasty werewolf. It doesn't change the gameplay much at all.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just downloaded 4Story, and wow...if you thought those screens were a rip, just wait until you see the game in motion. Incredible.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Updated with

Gold Slam
    Almost hitting closed beta
    A MMO Tennis game. Play matches, make your character better, play more matches and so on. Gameplay wise you move around with the arrow buttons and your racket with asdw. I haven't tried this out, but if they can make it fun to play and worthwhile to level up this might just be an interesting thing for the (Mario) tennis players among us.

Wolf Team
    Free to play
    MMOFPS. Basically a free Korean version of Battlefield 1942...with werewolves.

Now I'm going to see if a few of my promising titles have become playable.

*edit:

It seems Richman Online is playable for everyone now. I enjoyed the first few matches I played and I think it's lot of fun if you can play with friends. It was more fun than Monopoly, at least~

Richman Online
    Free to play
    A sort of MMO Monopoly. Providing both PvP and PvE this casual MMO will be very interesting. It is probably the only Monopoly game that allows you to play as a Arabic looking businessman and launch of gas attacks at the little baby character while laughing maniacally. The little I've played during Closed Beta showed a game that was a lot of fun, but did offer in the way of in-depth gameplay. Awesome game if you want to have fun with friends or mess around with strangers.

Aldo on
  • Options
    beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm not sure if this has been linked yet, but I've been following this weekly top 10 free MMO list at Ten Ton Hammer:

This Week:
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/37916

All:
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/Top10F2P

beta.lyrae on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    beta.lyrae wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this has been linked yet, but I've been following this weekly top 10 free MMO list at Ten Ton Hammer:

This Week:
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/37916

All:
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/Top10F2P
    Odd that he couldn't figure out how to reach the American version of CABAL, if he just went to their front page he would have ran into it right away. Then again, the fact that his whole review consisted of "I tried to play this game but failed, so I played this other game instead and the tutorial is nice, so I guess it's a good game" kind of speaks for the effort he's putting into this.

Anyway, I didn't know of Deco Online, so I'm adding it now. At least he's useful when it comes to finding out about other free games.

*e:

Deco Online
    Free to play
    An Asian game with a strong focus on PvP, cute graphics and a lot of skills to tune your toon with. Their website didn't really load for me, but considering it was only just released colours me slightly positive that this might be fun. As with most PvP-focused games a lot depends on balance and if it is worth fighting over something with a bunch of 13 year old boys with big mouths.

Aldo on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I downloaded Deco online because I didn't really have much else to do, and was surprised to find that the game is interesting. Its the standard MMO affair, kill mobs, do quests e.t.c, but the combat is very interesting, using a combo system. With magic, each spell fills a power bar, once the power bar is full you get a chunk of combo bar, which is used to power super spells. But with melee, you make your attack, then an icon appears below you, press it and you attack again instantly. Chain enough attacks together like this and you get combo power to use more powerful blows. Its defiantly more interesting than most free MMO combat systems.

The game features two races Rain (wizards) and mirra or something like that (not wizards). Race ties directly into class. For example I went rain and I started off as an apprentice. At level 10 I got to choose between being a shaman or a wizard. According to the website these classes also get a further class choice at a higher level. Add in the fact that you can spend points to increase skills you like using, and distribute your attribute points (the game takes a mid stance between perfect worlds choosing every point, and WoW's all your points are chosen for you, giving you a few bonus points every level, but increasing your base stats anyway so your much less likely to screw yourself) means that characters can be pretty customized. The game seems pvp heavy at higher level, with controllable zones and a war between the two races. So far I'm enjoying it, and for me its up there with perfect world.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    About PvP, do you think there are enough active players to keep it interesting? Perfect World also had a whole pvp chapter, but it took aeons to get there, so you didn't notice it was there unless you knew about it before playing.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I have no idea, but considering that the scrolling help messages inform you of pvp early on, and that the conquest info pops up in the chat every so often, at least your aware of it.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Seems kind of crappy that the pvp is between spellcasters and warriors, as opposed to having a mix. But, if they can balance it, seems pretty neat.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pay 2 Play vs Free to Play MMOs...

Fact is most adults are playing pay to play MMOs while kids are playing Free to Play MMOs...

Which in some way ruins the fun for Free to Play MMOs...

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Kealoha wrote: »
    Seems kind of crappy that the pvp is between spellcasters and warriors, as opposed to having a mix. But, if they can balance it, seems pretty neat.

Thats just the lore reasons, the classes kinda have counterparts. For example the first two magic race classes are magican (ranged) and Shaman (melee kung fu), whist the warrior race have archer (ranged) and Swordsman (Melee stabby stabby)

Norgoth on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Only read the first page, and the last few, so I'm sorry if this was discussed at length already. Saw the boxed Dungeon Runners in the store today and almost picked it up. I'm curious about opinions around here, and if there are a few people that play it with any regularity?

Aoi on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Aoi wrote: »
    Only read the first page, and the last few, so I'm sorry if this was discussed at length already. Saw the boxed Dungeon Runners in the store today and almost picked it up. I'm curious about opinions around here, and if there are a few people that play it with any regularity?

I've tried it. Wasn't too bad, especially as far as free games go.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dis wrote: »

Fact is most adults are playing pay to play MMOs while kids are playing Free to Play MMOs...

Mr. Period would beat you to death.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Where do you get your figures? I am really interested. I have played a few subscription based MMOs and know a lot of kids play them, and I have played a few free to play MMOs and know a lot of adults play them.

So I would love to know where you got your "facts"

Seg on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Seg wrote: »

Where do you get your figures? I am really interested. I have played a few subscription based MMOs and know a lot of kids play them, and I have played a few free to play MMOs and know a lot of adults play them.

So I would love to know where you got your "facts"

I've played many P2P and many F2P MMO's, and I pretty much have to agree with him, mostly. I would say that in my experiences there have been just as many kids as there were older folk in the big retail MMOs, but the free to play ones generally have more younger kids playing. That's not to say there aren't adults who play free games and kids who play p2p games, but I think his generalization is pretty fair.

It's not really that big a claim to make, so I'm unsure why you guys are jumping all over him. Younger kids don't have as easy access to money or credit cards for subscriptions to the big retail games, compared to older folk where $15 a month or using a credit card is really no issue.

UnknownSaint on
This discussion has been closed.