As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, [chat], and Understanding?

• Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Gooey wrote: »
    I am part of the "jeans and t-shirts and also hats sometimes" subculture, whatever name that has.

That's grunge, I think.

James on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    A few days ago, a friend of mine said "Hey, guess how many fingers I'm holding up behind my back."

"Four," I said.

"Nope, it's three," he replied and showed me his hand.

I guess that makes me a liar.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hate all of you.

No offense meant, of course.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Church wrote: »
    That would be correct if I was lying.
    Of course.

So... we're all in agreement.

Bama on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Uhh I'm going to Guatemala for a month doing volunteer stuff
    Don't ask why
    I felt like it

Well, daypack has always meant to me a small hiking backpack. Something to hold a day's worth of supplies, like the name implies.

I guess by "travelling backpack" they mean something smaller to take on the plane with you. I guess that one pack could serve both functions.

What are you going to be doing in Guatemala?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    A few days ago, a friend of mine said "Hey, guess how many fingers I'm holding up behind my back."

"Four," I said.

That's a sin, you know.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Don't ask why
    I felt like it

Well, daypack has always meant to me a small hiking backpack. Something to hold a day's worth of supplies, like the name implies.

I guess by "travelling backpack" they mean something smaller to take on the plane with you. I guess that one pack could serve both functions.

Presumably acting as a drug mule after contracting the yellow fever.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    OK, so anyways, picardathon was vetoed.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

"Four," I said.

Close. If you change the question to "How many fingers am I holding behind my back" then that scenario makes you a liar.

Bama on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    wazilla wrote: »

"Four," I said.

That's a sin, you know.

It would have been okay if only I'd said "I think it's four" instead of implying that it actually was four.

Now I have to go to confession and shit.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You call me a liar, but in so doing you are, in fact, speaking an untruth. Lying, you could say. You are a liar.

That's pretty much "You're a liar because you don't believe me"

No, that's "You're a liar because you're saying something that isn't true."

No, it really isn't. He called you a liar. In other words, he doesn't believe you. You called him a liar for him not believing you.

No, I called him a liar because he said I'm a liar and I'm not. Thus what he said is not true. Thus it is a lie. Thus he is a liar.

I know this one! "Which door would the other guard say is safe?"

That's right, I think...

Starcross on
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

"Four," I said.

No, because you were guessing. If you said "I can see your hand and I know for a fact that you're holding up four fingers", you would be lying, and frankly, that would be pretty silly.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    But he called you a liar and you are so he told the truth so he is not a liar yet you called him a liar so you are a liar.

win++

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »
    I hate all of you.

No offense meant, of course.

Even Gim?

The key is to not take anything here too seriously.

James on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    James wrote: »
    I am part of the "jeans and t-shirts and also hats sometimes" subculture, whatever name that has.

That's grunge, I think.
    You forgot flannel

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Bama wrote: »

"Four," I said.

Close. If you change the question to "How many fingers am I holding behind my back" then that scenario makes you a liar.

Fuck, you're right.

That's a relief!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAR

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hey guys, I'm the Secretary General of the Model UN!
    Fencingsax is the attorney General, but there is no such position in the UN.
    He has to give me a cookie, because I control millions of soldiers wearing funny blue helmets.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

That's grunge, I think.
    You forgot flannel

Also I bathe so I don't really fit in there.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008

"Four," I said.

No, because you were guessing. If you said "I can see your hand and I know for a fact that you're holding up four fingers", you would be lying, and frankly, that would be pretty silly.

i'm guessing that you're a liar.

Fuck, this CRT is killing my eyes.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

"Four," I said.

Okay, so if I say "You're lying about your past, Church," then what does that make me?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

"Four," I said.

Fuck, you're right.

That's a relief!
    No, this is a relief:
    relief04.jpg

Bama on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    We're back on Church not properly understanding the term liar :( Bloody hell.

Instead of doing that trainwreck, lets talk about Ida Maria and the important message in her (their?) single.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I had something to say, but I forgot it. It was probably insignificant anyhow.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    edited July 2008

That's grunge, I think.
    You forgot flannel

I think you're confusing grunge with metalheads, now.

James on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If on a checklist of things I need to bring on my trip, two of the things it says are:

Daypack

and

Traveling Backpack

What's what, and what's different, and what one do I actually have already?

A traveling backpack is your home away from home. In it you put your tent, sleeping bag, clothes, food etc.

Daypack is the smaller backpack you will be using if say, your staying a couple nights somewhere and don't want to drag your heavy traveling backpack but still need water/maps/whatever to keep you going for the day till you return to where ever you left your traveling backpack.

Personally when I traveled I was a friggin turtle, my traveling backpack almost never left by sight/back. I knew going in that I would not be ditching my traveling backpack anywhere so I didn't bother with a daypack.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    OK, so anyways, picardathon was vetoed.

I am so threatening you with my poorly secured nuclear arsenal, Fencingsax.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

"Four," I said.

Fuck, you're right.

That's a relief!

Swearing is a sin.

James on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It occurs to me that this foolish squabbling is in direct violation of the sentiment expressed by the thread title.

stilist on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Don't ask why
    I felt like it

Presumably acting as a drug mule after contracting the yellow fever.

No yellow fever there! Typhoid, maybe, but I am vaccinated...
    TB.... that could always happen

I didn't get a rabies vaccine but hopefully I don't go talkin to no animals

I am like, workin with NGO's, local organizations and local social entrepreneurs
    learnin more spanish
    helpin rural people with creatin businesses so they ain't poor as shit anymore

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

"Four," I said.

Fuck, you're right.

That's a relief!
    No, this is a relief:*pun*
    That was terrible

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    stilist wrote: »
    It occurs to me that this foolish squabbling is in direct violation of the sentiment expressed by the thread title.

Did it occur to you to shut the hell up?

</irony>

Alecthar on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What sentiment? Rhetorical questions are passive aggressive.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    edited July 2008

That's grunge, I think.
    You forgot flannel

I think you're confusing grunge with metalheads, now.

True.

I don't wear Cons, or Airwalks (do they still make those?), so not grunge. My hair is not long, so not metalheads.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008

"Four," I said.

Fuck, you're right.

That's a relief!
    That was terrible
    Don't blame me, I didn't carve it!

Bama on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dman wrote: »
    If on a checklist of things I need to bring on my trip, two of the things it says are:

Daypack

and

Traveling Backpack

What's what, and what's different, and what one do I actually have already?

A traveling backpack is your home away from home. In it you put your tent, sleeping bag, clothes, food etc.

Daypack is the smaller backpack you will be using if say, your staying a couple nights somewhere and don't want to drag your heavy traveling backpack but still need water/maps/whatever to keep you going for the day till you return to where ever you left your traveling backpack.

Personally when I traveled I was a friggin turtle, my traveling backpack almost never left by sight/back. I knew going in that I would not be ditching my traveling backpack anywhere so I didn't bother with a daypack.
    This is the info I needed
    What is an example?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

"Four," I said.

Okay, so if I say "You're lying about your past, Church," then what does that make me?

That makes you a liar. Unless you're trying to say you simply don't believe me, in which case it just makes you a dolt.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008

"Four," I said.

Fuck, you're right.

That's a relief!
    That was terrible
    Don't blame me, I didn't carve it!

Hehe

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Wait, is this an actual debate? I thought people were just being silly on purpose.

e: in regard to Church being a liar.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    What sentiment? Rhetorical questions are passive aggressive.
    Have you stopped beating your wife?

stilist on
This discussion has been closed.