As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS2 RPGs. Help me wile away my time.

EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles.Portland, ORRegistered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
So, for the next six months I'm hermiting away to save up some cash and move back to Portland, OR from Rhode Island. What better way to do that than with some RPGs? Here's a small list of what I'm going to pick up tomorrow. If anyone has any more suggestions, PLEASE let me know.

Final Fantasy XII
Dragon Quest VIII
Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2
Persona 3
Rogue Galaxy
Dark Cloud 2

Thoughts? I like the idea of Persona 3, so others like that would be great. Fantasy and Sci-Fi are more than welcome as well. The longer, the better. Thanks!

Esh on

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Actually that's... a pretty darned good list.

Anything in the Shin Megami Tensei series is considered rather good stuff (Digital Devil Saga, SMT: Nocturne if the heavens part and a ray of light actually lands on a copy), and I spent over 100 hours with my first playthrough of Persona 3 (it's brilliant).

I never did actually finish FFXII, as it seemed to be more about grinding the further I got, but I did think it an above-average RPG and I'll likely get back to it at some point.

And that's the extent of my PS2 RPG knowledge - apart from knowing that you really couldn't have picked a better console to go-all-RPG on.

Oh, and Kingdom Hearts games are good fun with excellent production values, but you need to like pressing the attack button a billion times in a row. It's the most button-mashingest RPG there ever was, and I'm totally including Diablo in that.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    XanoXano Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Damn fine list you've got constructed there already, heh.

Now i know these aren't RPG, but... please consider...

Shadow of the Colossus

Ico

Okami

may be a step out of your genre zone, but worth it imo.

Also, Persona 4 is coming out kinda soon.

Xano on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    Actually that's... a pretty darned good list.

Anything in the Shin Megami Tensei series is considered rather good stuff (Digital Devil Saga, SMT: Nocturne if the heavens part and a ray of light actually lands on a copy), and I spent over 100 hours with my first playthrough of Persona 3 (it's brilliant).

I never did actually finish FFXII, as it seemed to be more about grinding the further I got, but I did think it an above-average RPG and I'll likely get back to it at some point.

And that's the extent of my PS2 RPG knowledge - apart from knowing that you really couldn't have picked a better console to go-all-RPG on.

Oh, and Kingdom Hearts games are good fun with excellent production values, but you need to like pressing the attack button a billion times in a row. It's the most button-mashingest RPG there ever was, and I'm totally including Diablo in that.

Yeah, I played the first one almost all the way through when it came out. I did love it though. I'm definitely going to try and pick up as much of the Persona/Shin Megami series as I can. Are they related somehow?

Esh on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    youve got a good list going. i would add these.

Disgaea (then Disgaea 2, if you want more after the 100+ hours you pump into this one. then the other N1 srpgs if you want even more)
    Shadow Hearts: Covenant
    Wizardry: Tales Of The Forsaken Land

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Xano wrote: »
    Damn fine list you've got constructed there already, heh.

Now i know these aren't RPG, but... please consider...

Shadow of the Colossus

Ico

Okami

may be a step out of your genre zone, but worth it imo.

Also, Persona 4 is coming out kinda soon.

Yeah, those along with the Metal Gear series (which I've never played) are on my list.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    youve got a good list going. i would add these.

Disgaea (then Disgaea 2, if you want more after the 100+ hours you pump into this one. then the other N1 srpgs if you want even more)
    Shadow Hearts: Covenant
    Wizardry: Tales Of The Forsaken Land

I tried to get Wizardry off Amazon but the seller never sent it and I had to make a claim against them. Shadow Hearts is another I was looking at. I'm not a big Strategy-RPG fan so I don't know about the Disgaea series.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ah man...Ico and SOTC.....ABSOLUTE must plays....

especially if you're looking for something artful and abstract in a game...

Xano on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My suggestion to you if you get Rouge Galaxy is don't pay any attention to the story near the end of the game. Just start pressing X to skip text and mute the cutscenes. It's just...... it's just REALLY bad. I'm not a person who even notices bad stories but my god, Rouge Galaxy gets absolutely dreadful at the end. I still enjoyed the combat system though.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Esh wrote: »
    I'm definitely going to try and pick up as much of the Persona/Shin Megami series as I can. Are they related somehow?

Persona's full name is Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3. Most will note P3 for its inclusion of a rudimentary 'social simulator', which no other SMT title has ever had. It's also pointed out to be relatively easy compared to other entries in the series. Digital Devil Saga and SMT: Nocturne are known to have vicious spikes of difficulty.

SMT: Nocturne was one of the most-impossible games to find, up until a little while ago, when it got a re-release.

I also throw my support behind Ico (dreamlike brilliance), SoTC (brilliant brilliance) and Okami (beautiful action-adventure Zelda-style brilliance). Only Okami will take up a large chunk of your time, however, clocking in at around 30 hours. But seriously, if you don't have SoTC? Get SoTC (see: sig).

Chance on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2008
    Silmeria and Ar Tonelico. The soundtrack alone is worth snagging both, and Silmeria is seriously the best looking RPG of that generation.

And for what it's worth, I thought FFXII was an absolutely horrendous game, especially if you like JRPGs. It's designed for the MMO crowd and it really pretty painfully shows. Hell, I read books as I 'played' the game.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    oh oh i forgot: Atelier Iris

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I've never played these but...i heard the Xenosaga series is something to refrain from...
    Xenogears was good, but i heard the saga series..drones on...and on...and yawn..

Xano on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Steambot Chronicles is fun times. You drive around in a steam-powered mech fighting in arenas! You learn to play musical instruments! You decorate a house!

Also, try to find Odin Sphere or Shadow Hearts: Covenant, two stupendously awesome games

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've never played these but...i heard the Xenosaga series is something to refrain from...
    Xenogears was good, but i heard the saga series..drones on...and on...and yawn..

That's funny, I came in here to recommend Xenosaga. And I've actually played them.

Also, Tales of the Abyss.

cheez on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh hi, you must have been looking for this title.
    summoner-1.jpg

Very poor camera, as well as poor draw distance. But otherwise, one of my favourites.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    lostwords wrote: »
    Steambot Chronicles is fun times. You drive around in a steam-powered mech fighting in arenas! You learn to play musical instruments! You decorate a house!

Also, try to find Odin Sphere or Shadow Hearts: Covenant, two stupendously awesome games
    I have it on good authority that every time someone buys a ps2 game that isn't steambot chronicles, god kills a kitten.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    makes me want to play Chrono Cross again

Xano on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I loved Persona 3 and greatly enjoyed Ar Tonelico and Mana Khemia.

edit: Ooooh, yeah. Steambot Chronicles is nice.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    cheez wrote: »

That's funny, I came in here to recommend Xenosaga. And I've actually played them.

Also, Tales of the Abyss.

Yessir! Tales of the Abyss is great. In fact, I just finished playing some of it now.

I like that this thread popped up, because I just bought five used PS2 RPGs - Dawn of Mana, Wild Arms 3, Wild Arms 4, Xenosaga I and II. I know Dawn of Mana isn't received all that wildly, for but five bucks it seemed like a good buy. As far as the Wild Arms games go, any recommendation for which one I should start first, or should I start up Xenosaga instead?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    man that reminded me that ive been meaning to pick up Wild Arms 5 since it came out. i dont know if i need to throw another game on the ps2 backlog at this point though, its already pretty out of control.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    lostwords wrote: »
    *snip* Also, try to find Odin Sphere *snip*

Pfft! Odin Sphere? Yeah, go waste your money on Odin Sphere, if you're some freak who likes huge, gorgeous and lovingly animated 2D sprites brawling their way through beautiful, hand-painted stages, a deceptively deep item creation process, phenomenal localization with excellent voice work, music and an epic story all wrapped up in a 40-hour action-RPG.

I mean, honestly? Odin Sphere?

(Get Odin Sphere.)

Chance on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    odin sphere looks really good, i couldnt get into the gameplay at all though i dunno. worth a look anyway though, since a lot of people that arent me loved it. and i mean it looks really good in italics even.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    cjeriscjeris Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Same discussion from seven months ago

My list of RPGs from that thread

Not that much has come out for PS2 in the last seven months. Persona 3 FES (which you should certainly buy instead of base Persona 3), Mana Khemia, what else?

cjeris on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    odin sphere looks really good, i couldnt get into the gameplay at all though i dunno. worth a look anyway though, since a lot of people that arent me loved it. and i mean it looks really good in italics even.
    Yeah I can see Odin Sphere not being for everyone. But neither's P3, come to think of it.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    cjeris wrote: »
    Same discussion from seven months ago

My list of RPGs from that thread

Not that much has come out for PS2 in the last seven months. Persona 3 FES (which you should certainly buy instead of base Persona 3), Mana Khemia, what else?

"Ar tonelico (NIS/Gust) : An interesting battle system and glorious music, paired with a plot and character-interaction system that makes me feel one part guilty pleasure and three parts just guilty. I liked it, but I can't admit that to anyone I know in person."

Heh. I felt weird buying that game. You described it perfectly, though, especially in regards to my feelings during the "diving." It is a great game, but I just never managed to beat it because one part in the game you were required to have a certain ingredient which I didn't have. I sold or threw it away when I got it early game, as I had no use for it, and that section didn't let me go back. So if you ever play Ar Tonelico, don't throw your ingredients out!

Dashui on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Xenosaga Ep 1 was good. People complained it was like watching a movie, but it's got a really good story. Plus the battle music was awesome. :^:

urahonky on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Suikoden 3 & 5 haven't been mentioned yet.

Grandia 3 is pretty fun.

I dunno, there's like all these opinions and stuff and who know whose opinions are gonna mesh with your own. I mean tons of people will recommend Odin Sphere, and while I found it to be quite pretty, it was one of the most repetitively boring games I've ever played. Then I'll say whee, go play Radiatia Stories, and someone will come and say no, don't get that, I hated it. Or something.

I mean I could list a ton of RPGs that I've had fun with on the PS2, but wouldn't recommend them all. I mean like...muffins.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Schide wrote: »
    I mean like...muffins.

Deceptively delicious.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    muffins, ive never heard such nonsense! now scones, theres a delicious baked good.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For the love of god get Persona 3: FES and not the regular Persona 3. FES has an extra 30-40 hours of content, more things to get and do, is cheaper, and is just generally way better.

And while you're at your local game store, reserve Persona 4. It's bound to come with some sexcellent bonus stuff (the first P3 release came with a GREAT bound art book AND a P3 soundtrack with about 90 percent of the songs on it).

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh hi, you must have been looking for this title.
    summoner-1.jpg

Very poor camera, as well as poor draw distance. But otherwise, one of my favourites.

Played and beat on the PC. Fun one.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Xenosaga Ep 1 was good. People complained it was like watching a movie, but it's got a really good story. Plus the battle music was awesome. :^:

This guy speaks truth.

And hey, if it turns out you play through all of 1 but hate that there aren't giant robots, just play 2! More giant robots! And if you just HAVE to have even MORE giant robots, check out 3!

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    hoodie13 wrote: »

This guy speaks truth.

And hey, if it turns out you play through all of 1 but hate that there aren't giant robots, just play 2! More giant robots! And if you just HAVE to have even MORE giant robots, check out 3!

So, I take it I should play Xenosaga next, hmm? I'm working through Tales of the Abyss, and once I'm done I need to move onto one of the dozen other JRPGs I have left on my shelf. I should just beat one before buying five more, for fucks sake.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Just... just look into the whole damn Shin Megami Tensei series, ok? Digital Devil Saga is great and it was just re-released, the Persona series was just reinvigorated with P3, and Nocturne and Devil Summoner are pretty good too.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    hoodie13 wrote: »

This guy speaks truth.

So, I take it I should play Xenosaga next, hmm? I'm working through Tales of the Abyss, and once I'm done I need to move onto one of the dozen other JRPGs I have left on my shelf. I should just beat one before buying five more, for fucks sake.
    Well hold on, because i just realized that I made it sound like Xenosaga 1 has no giant robots. It does. Just not as much as 2, and 2 doesn't have as much as 3. But they all have robots.

And yes, play Xenosaga. It's less than 10 bucks at Gamestop and is more than worth it.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    For whatever reason I write down each RPG I beat in a book and then give it a stupid little rating. I wonder what my top ten for the PS2 are.

Disgaea
    Shadow Hearts Covenant
    Dragon Quest VIII
    Rogue Galaxy
    Final Fantasy X
    Dark Cloud II
    Suikoden III
    Suikoden V
    Atelier Iris
    Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
    Shadow Hearts
    Shadow Hearts From the New World
    Grandia III
    Radiatia Stories
    Phantom Brave
    Atelier Iris II
    BoF Dragon Quarter
    Star Ocean III
    Final Fantasy XII
    Legaia Duel Saga
    Wild Arms III
    Suikoden IV
    Grandia II
    Final Fantasy X-II
    Kingdom Hearts II
    Jade Cocoon II

Huh. Well that doesn't include some games I haven't beat or haven't started yet, of course. Like Odin Sphere and Xenosaga.

Wait, that's all of them I have there, not just ten. Whatever I just woke up.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    oh you could check out that Baroque game, i heard really good things about it. havent played it myself yet but still, if youre interested in a roguelike check it out.

how was that Devil Summoner game? i was looking at a used copy the other day but passed it up.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You know, I loved what I played of Suikoden V, but I ended up missing some characters because I didn't have my face looking at a strategy guide every five minutes during the time I spent with it. If you don't get all 108 characters, you don't get the good ending. I don't like that kind of punishment, and I don't like spending time looking at strategy guides constantly for my JRPGs. I want to get it again and beat it, but that mechanic pushes me away.

Dashui on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    You know, I loved what I played of Suikoden V, but I ended up missing some characters because I didn't have my face looking at a strategy guide every five minutes during the time I spent with it. If you don't get all 108 characters, you don't get the good ending. I don't like that kind of punishment, and I don't like spending time looking at strategy guides constantly for my JRPGs. I want to get it again and beat it, but that mechanic pushes me away.

I got as far as the hide and seek bullshit in the arena. FIND A RANDOM CHARACTER ACROSS THESE 12 SCREENS TO ADVANCE THE STORY AND THEN FIND THE NEXT ONE.

Thanks, but no. I think I'll go back to delimbing dragons and watching them flop on the ground helplessly.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    - Xenosaga I (the only one I've played) is really good. One of the best turn-based battle systems I've ever played.
    - Disgaea 1 for story / Disgaea 2 for improved battle mechanics

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png