As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Career Changes

2»

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have a strong fear that the rest of my life will be an endless cycle of me getting a job, learning how to do said job efficiently, getting bored and looking for a new job.

Is there any career that does not get boring and repetitive within a year or two?

Quoth on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Trial Lawyer

Weaver on
  • Options
    RedZeroRedZero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    RedZero wrote: »
    High five to the journalism people. I just graduated with a BA in print journalism, and am currently interning for my local weekly newspaper. But now I'm applying for a job as an investigator at a law firm in the DC area. They'd pay me while I train (about 60 hours) to get my PI license, and then it is apparently just investigating different things for the firm, then writing up reports for to be used in court cases.

Not exactly what I had anticipated doing with my degree, but it definitely seems interesting. Gotta get the application out next week and see where it goes from there.

That's awesome. I keep hearing bad things about Journalism as a major, but I'm trying to remain positive. I can't wait to start taking classes next year. I'm stoked about my journalism lab.

Yeah, everyone tends to shit on journalism degrees because they assume the only thing you can do is work in the media. A degree in journalism is actually way more useful than most people assume, and can lead to many different career paths. Just plug 'journalism' into washingtonjobs.com and see what pops up.

Edit: Hunter, I think I may love you.

RedZero on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Vampire hunter.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Dustin let's go in together on a fishing boat, we'll go up Alaska way and get Salmon & Halibut

Weaver on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Quoth wrote: »
    I have a strong fear that the rest of my life will be an endless cycle of me getting a job, learning how to do said job efficiently, getting bored and looking for a new job.

Is there any career that does not get boring and repetitive within a year or two?
    You'll have plenty of jobs in the Army. AND you can retire in 20 years with full medical, a nice lump sum of cash, and experiences you will never have as a civilian.

I'm done plugging the Army now. :)

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Hunter wrote: »
    The best part is one person questioned the validity of the Beers-Lambert Law. A physical law about light transmission that is essentially a constant for our universe. One that we've built much of our technology on. A law based in math and repeatable experimentation.

For fucks sake. Has questioning science become so fucking vogue that even the boring shit like light passing through a fucking medium has to have the alternatives taught. Don't want to piss off the Light Creationists who think it magically turns to unicorns in the glass and then magically is emitted out the other side minus the absorbed energy necessary to create a fantasy pixie realm of the Unicorns.
    That's why I got this. For violent reasons.
    sciencetattoo.jpg

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    TardTard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    High five to the journalism people. I just graduated with a BA in print journalism, and am currently interning for my local weekly newspaper. But now I'm applying for a job as an investigator at a law firm in the DC area. They'd pay me while I train (about 60 hours) to get my PI license, and then it is apparently just investigating different things for the firm, then writing up reports for to be used in court cases.

Not exactly what I had anticipated doing with my degree, but it definitely seems interesting. Gotta get the application out next week and see where it goes from there.

That's awesome. I keep hearing bad things about Journalism as a major, but I'm trying to remain positive. I can't wait to start taking classes next year. I'm stoked about my journalism lab.

Yeah, everyone tends to shit on journalism degrees because they assume the only thing you can do is work in the media. A degree in journalism is actually way more useful than most people assume, and can lead to many different career paths. Just plug 'journalism' into washingtonjobs.com and see what pops up.

Edit: Hunter, I think I may love you.

I don't have anything resembling a journalism degree, but I've been working in the field for about a year and a half.

Small paper with a weekly distribution of 12,000. Not great pay yet, but fuck it's worth it.

Tard on