As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comic Book Movie Thread: also their games

• Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, the shrinking man, the walking tank, the super-soldier, and the green mutating monster's abilites all game from the world around them, where-as thor is off in another demension, or plane of existance, or something like that.

It'd be like throwing Mister Mxyzptlk into the next Dark Knight movie.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    Did anyone get the feeling from that cameo in Hulk that the Avengers movie is going to follow the original reason for the formation of the Avengers?

I hope not.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    I'm just concerned that if they start playing up that there are these super-human gods running around, it's going to make people like Iron Man and Captain America seem kind of uhm...

small time?

(for the record I'm not trying to like, harp on marvel for making thor, I'm just trying to wrap my head continuity and such)

Well... They are. The universe has a personification in Marvel. Go figure.

But even when Thanos was Eternity's equal or better in Infinity Gauntlet, Captain America still stood face-to-face with Thanos. And that is just the most extreme example I can think of where even conventional heroes faced cosmic odds and stood their ground.

It's the same reason why Nova is now one of the biggest badasses in the universe.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    Well, the shrinking man, the walking tank, the super-soldier, and the green mutating monster's abilites all game from the world around them, where-as thor is off in another demension, or plane of existance, or something like that.

i think you mean bat-mite, but i understand anyway.

i think the audience of any movie isn't going to walk out in frustration over the entire premise of the movie they're seeing. that plus the fact that it's literally no different than in the comics, i just can't imagine why an audience would suddenly care so much that it's fake magic this time instead of fake science.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I think thor wouldn't have worked back in '99 or 2000. However, with superhero flicks being built off of the fake science bit for a while now, x-men, spider-man, hulk, batman begins & DK, etc. that the market is ready for a fake magic alternative as you put it. Thor and Captain Marvel both being movies that I could see working off of this angle.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    postercc04.jpg

And I thought Bubastis was red.

...but seriously, I'm so fucking excited.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Man, now I want an omelette.

And they probably changed Bubastis' color to reflect the darker coloration of Ozy's own outfit.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, it looks awesome. I remember back when they first announced the flick, I was all "I hope they put that goddamned genetically enhanced lynx in there" not thinking they ever would.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I think thor wouldn't have worked back in '99 or 2000. However, with superhero flicks being built off of the fake science bit for a while now, x-men, spider-man, hulk, batman begins & DK, etc. that the market is ready for a fake magic alternative as you put it. Thor and Captain Marvel both being movies that I could see working off of this angle.
    I think people are plenty crazy in general to eat up a story involving magic and gods. It's been a staple of fiction since the dawn of man, and I can think of some pretty popular ongoing franchises about magicians. Of course, a Thor franchise like Ages of Thunder tied closer to the original myths would be awesome, but it'd have to be toned down not to get an R (Since Marvel won't be making R or NC-17 movies). Luckily there are decades worth of safe stories from the masters. The only thing that needs to be avoided is a piece of steaming crap like The Outlander (I won't even subject you all to the trailer of that abomination).

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I've come to the realization that my dislike of Thor just comes down to my hatred of all things fantasy and mystical. I can't stand Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Eragon, King Arthur, and so on.

Don't know why.

Though I do kind of like the concept of a fallen god becoming accustomed with Earth.

But I think that Movie was called "Michael" and starred John Travolta.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Im not sure how I would feel about a Thor movie taking place entirely in Asgard.

I much prefer the Donald Blake dynamic.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I think it would help as a superhero movie to have the human tie to Earth/Midgard. Granted, there are great myths to re-tell. But that stops being the Marvel Thor and just become a Thor/Asgardian myth movie anyone who's read them can make. Pthbbbbt on that.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like Thor the best when he isn't some funny talking Shazam knock-off.

Accualt on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2008
    aside from having a mortal side and a god side, shazam and thor don't have a whole hell of a lot in common

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    but he talks funny, geebs, he must be a faggot

like everyone who talks different from me

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I think if they made a Shazam Movie, they'd need to have that guy whose like, the Anti-Captain Marvel whose Activation word of what not changes all the time.

Wasn't it Pudding at one time?

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    every time i see the word shazam, i think of fry's gomer pyle-esque pseudo-grandfather in that episode of futurama. "well shaaaaazayam!"

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I hope Korg shows up in the THOR movie. Just re-envision the story from JiM #83.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    aside from having a mortal side and a god side, shazam and thor don't have a whole hell of a lot in common

I don't know anything about Shazam other than he's superman-like with lightening instead of laser eyes and he changes from some kid to super guy. So the basics between the two seem really similar. Like, I mean, we all know Namor is awesome compared to Aquaman but the two are still knock offs of each other.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Accualt wrote: »

I don't know anything about Shazam other than he's superman-like with lightening instead of laser eyes and he changes from some kid to super guy. So the basics between the two seem really similar. Like, I mean, we all know Namor is awesome compared to Aquaman but the two are still knock offs of each other.

they're still not that similar. billy batson is a regular boy who meets a pederast wizard who gives him the ability to summon magical lightning that bestows upon him the strength of the (greek) gods (actually, i don't even think they're all gods. just mythological figures)

thor is an ageless norse thunder god whose father grew upset at his son's hubris and cursed him to walk the earth as a human to learn humility.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    Did anyone get the feeling from that cameo in Hulk that the Avengers movie is going to follow the original reason for the formation of the Avengers?

I hope not.
    Well...
    at the end, when his eyes turned green and he smiled, he was either enjoying the change, or had SOME degree of control over it.

As for Thor, it could work fairly well. I mean, look at Iron Man. They never EXPLAIN it to us. They're just like "Oh hey this is the arc reactor." and we just take it...like with actual comics. And it seemed to work just fine.

X-men had it easy, their powers have been explained (well, origin-wise) in an easy enough manner. The reason comic book movies are doing so much better is that people aren't being asked to suspend their disbelief that "this is how science works" but more "this is possible", which many are used to from sci-fi and fantasy.
    But even when Thanos was Eternity's equal or better in Infinity Gauntlet, Captain America still stood face-to-face with Thanos. And that is just the most extreme example I can think of where even conventional heroes faced cosmic odds and stood their ground.
    And look at the Hulk.
    Blonsky shows exactly what someone with the super-soldier serum can do, and how thoroughly he was able to run around someone who could snap him in two. The only reason he got hit was because he was being a cocky asshole.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I see you've blocked out the horrible movie starring Shaq then?

That's a tough, tough thing to do.
    Steel?
    Almost. Almost got it out of my head.

see317 on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think if they made a Shazam Movie, they'd need to have that guy whose like, the Anti-Captain Marvel whose Activation word of what not changes all the time.

Wasn't it Pudding at one time?

Black Adam, and The Rock was a possibility to play him at one point.

His word is currently Shazam as well, but it used to be
    chocolate egg creams

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote:

Steel?

Actually I was talking about the Movie Shazam. With Shaq as a Genie, and the boy wastes his first two wishes on a bike and for it rain junk food from the sky.

movie = lame.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kazaam

Munch on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Servo wrote: »

i think you mean bat-mite, but i understand anyway.

i think the audience of any movie isn't going to walk out in frustration over the entire premise of the movie they're seeing. that plus the fact that it's literally no different than in the comics, i just can't imagine why an audience would suddenly care so much that it's fake magic this time instead of fake science.

I can understand the concern, but with every one of the avengers cast getting their own movie before the inevitable mass team up, I don't think the audience will be too confused. The Thor movie will play out like a fantasy film...as it should. There'll be talk of might and magic and everyone will have a good ol time. And maybe there'll be a cameo or easter egg after the credits...and that one scene alone will probably be the only thing that ties Thor in any way to the rest of the marvel movie universe.

Then, assuming that the Thor movie is actually, ya know, good, when Avengers rolls around, no one will care. Lets face it, an Avengers movie will consist almost entirely of fan service, and it will be awesome. The majority of the audience will be too psyched over the idea of all these characters being in the same movie to really care about whether magic and mythology mix with iron man's tech driven universe.

Guek on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    And if you can start getting it into the Marvel movie goers head that Magic exists in this universe, there's a greater chance that we will get Fin Fang Foom in an Iron Man movie at some point. Because once magic exists it's only a tiny little jump to alien space dragons. Whereas from the purely tech perspective of Iron Man, it's a bit more of a leap, and would probably require side trips to "Genetically engineered weapon" or "giant robot that looks like a dragon" or possibly "Really ponced up power armor".

I don't think any of us want to see FFF go that way

see317 on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nextwave%2002%20page%2004.jpg

Glal on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh damn. Alien space dragons.

It'd take a miracle for people not familiar with FFF to assume it won't suck just on that premise.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote:

Steel?

Actually I was talking about the Movie Shazam. With Shaw as a Genie, and the boy wastes his first two wishes on a bike and for it rain junk food from the sky.

movie = lame.

that movie is called Kazaam

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't think FFF would be a hard sell to the average moviegoer. "Iron Man fights Godzilla". They don't necessarily have to get into his origins, just have him working with the Mandarin or some such.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So...

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/green-lantern-finally-on-the-fast-track-to-production-5143
    Production Weekly's current issue has The Green Lantern slated as being in the development stage:

STATUS - Development
    PRODUCER: Donald De Line - Andrew Haas WRITER: Greg Berlanti - Marc Guggenheim - Michael J Green
    DC COMICS 1700 Broadway New York, NY 10019
    WARNER BROS. PICTURES 4000 Warner Blvd. Burbank, CA 91522-0001

Each sector of space is protected by a Green Lantern, possessing a power ring that uses a powerful green energy to do anything within the limits of the user's imagination and will power. When the Green Lantern assigned to this sector of space finds himself dying on planet Earth, he tells the ring to find a suitable successor. The chosen replacement, hot-shot test pilot Hal Jordan, finds himself with a new job he never expected.

No director. I guess Warner and DC really got their asses into gear after that meeting.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I don't think FFF would be a hard sell to the average moviegoer. "Iron Man fights Godzilla". They don't necessarily have to get into his origins, just have him working with the Mandarin or some such.

Well, it's just that there has never been a good space alien dragon movie. Nor will the next one (Outlander) be much different.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kieron Gillen writes up his hands-on preview of DC Universe Online.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Good write up. The animation is indeed stiff and twitchy, but if that's what it takes to have a game where you can be a Speedster and run up everything, then I can deal.

Lux on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I feel like even if DCUO is good, it won't really matter, because no one is going to play it

No one but me

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I played it at Comic Con

it was like CoH with more action

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Awesome

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I will play DCUO only if I can be a Green Lantern.

Lucascraft on
This discussion has been closed.