As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So...how's about that Farcry 2?

2»

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Apparently you can go on safari if you wish, so that'll be cool.

That alone has upgraded this to a day one purchase.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm sure it was in a preview somewhere, but yeah, they said there's wildlife you can go and observe if you feel like it.

I'm just really looking forward to exploring this African environment they've got.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    interceptintercept Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    intercept wrote: »

You couldn't do any of that shit. I ended up playing on Delta mode, and I absolutely hate games that don't tweak properly for the hardest difficulty. Using anything else but Armor is suicide or a gimmick. When I sprinted, I got shot twice and died. Apparently these mooks graduated from Han Solo Accuracy school with flying colors if they could hit a human-sized object dashing at presumably 70 miles an hour, and even if they couldn't hit you at that point you ran out of energy to Armor or Stealth, so you were dead anyway since the Sprint itself also lasted woefully short. So the whole time you just alternate between Armor and Stealth picking off guys one by one, and all your Strength is used for is jumping to a cliff you wouldn't be able to reach normally. Any other time it's redundant. It's much easier to just shoot someone than go through all this complicated shit of sneaking up and punching him, or using him as a human shield. You can't even throw him into other people or something. On the plus side, it felt really cool when your suit would go MAXIMUM AH-MAH.

I'm fine with buzz words. The next huge innovation in FPS gaming! We're pushing the envelope with this one! It's just lame when you add in game mechanics that are supposed to fundamentally alter the game... But they don't at all, really. At least Far Cry 2 isn't feeding people bullshit. You get what you see.

Well your expectations aside (which granted, would've been cool), I have to take issue with pretty much the rest of your post. Can't use speed or strength mode? Are you kidding me?

Look, I played on Delta too. My experience was largely that of sprinting away from enemy fire, laying down fire in strength mode, knocking down guards like the road-runner (speed mode into people and they're knocked off their feet) and then hurling them into other guards. Setting up distractions to draw troops away from critical areas and then bounding over rooftops to the opposite end of the base. Man, I managed to pull off so much stuff in that game that most other FPS's just don't really allow for. Heck, I even did a no-cloak run, just to see whether all the complaints of "you can't play this game otherwise!" were actually true.

Turns out they weren't. No cloak run on Delta was maybe a little more difficult than Delta for the lack of the extra option, but that's about it. I'd say it was pretty easy, playing with little to-no cloak usage is my standard playstyle now, you don't really need it when you know how to use cover, it's just an extra option. I still did plenty of stealth and sneaking, there is ridiculous amounts of cover when you need it most of the time. As long as you know what you're doing you can be lying down in good cover with guards walking by 5 feet in front of you and they won't see you. I didn't see Delta as a limitation, playing on Delta pretty much forced me to think more creatively about how to approach situations and even how to be more stealthy in my approaches.

I'm not some super wizard with FPS's. I can't headshot at a hundred yards and I often suck with grenades. Ultimately how much you enjoy Crysis really depends on how much you're willing to put into it. If you're going to play it just like a bog standard FPS, then that's exactly what it's going to turn out like. Crysis doesn't force you into doing crazy and cool things. The game just provides you with the tools, what you do with them is up to you.

What do you mean laying down fire in strength mode? It improves firing strength or something?

My gripe is this: If you never need to use the skill, it has no place being in the game. Yeah, sure you can knock someone down with Speed. You can use Strength to use someone as a human shield. But WHY? These tactics end up being more dangerous than quietly killing everyone from distance and moving in and out of stealth. It's like how the trailers for Bioshock involved doing all this cool, detailed stuff to kill mobs, like laying a proximity mine, creating a hologram of yourself by it and leading a guy into the mine to get blown up. Or you can, you know, shoot him. It was cheaper, faster and easier.

So all my abilities in Crysis felt redundant. Why would you do some elaborate plan with more risk if there was no benefit involved to it? You wouldn't. Then it just becomes a game mechanic tacked on to promote the illusion of multiple approach gameplay, when really, there isn't. There's only the best choice and the other choices. A good game forces you to use all your abilities that you're given, or expand the capability of the abilities you are given to offer real, alternate solutions with comparable rewards.

To me, it reminds me of those RPGs where you could do things the sneaky way just to avoid a fight... But you don't actually get anything for avoiding the fight. On the flip side, you can just kill everybody, scavenge their bodies for loots and fear no consequences of killing every bad guy in the dungeon.

intercept on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Strength mode kills the recoil.

How much you used the powers really depended on your play style, personally I got a kick out of how they reworked the suit for the project reality mod? Mixes things up a lot and certainly makes all the suit powers very useful.

Rook on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    I'm sure it was in a preview somewhere, but yeah, they said there's wildlife you can go and observe if you feel like it.

I'm just really looking forward to exploring this African environment they've got.

Bet you it'll be more fun than Afrika. Honestly, I don't get the hype behind that game, from the footage I saw the animation for the animals looked as if it was from the late 90's / early 2000 era.

I have to wonder whether this'll get mod support. If it does, you can bet one of the first mods is going to be a Crysis style Nano-suit.

subedii on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »

You couldn't do any of that shit. I ended up playing on Delta mode, and I absolutely hate games that don't tweak properly for the hardest difficulty. Using anything else but Armor is suicide or a gimmick. When I sprinted, I got shot twice and died. Apparently these mooks graduated from Han Solo Accuracy school with flying colors if they could hit a human-sized object dashing at presumably 70 miles an hour, and even if they couldn't hit you at that point you ran out of energy to Armor or Stealth, so you were dead anyway since the Sprint itself also lasted woefully short. So the whole time you just alternate between Armor and Stealth picking off guys one by one, and all your Strength is used for is jumping to a cliff you wouldn't be able to reach normally. Any other time it's redundant. It's much easier to just shoot someone than go through all this complicated shit of sneaking up and punching him, or using him as a human shield. You can't even throw him into other people or something. On the plus side, it felt really cool when your suit would go MAXIMUM AH-MAH.

I'm fine with buzz words. The next huge innovation in FPS gaming! We're pushing the envelope with this one! It's just lame when you add in game mechanics that are supposed to fundamentally alter the game... But they don't at all, really. At least Far Cry 2 isn't feeding people bullshit. You get what you see.

Well your expectations aside (which granted, would've been cool), I have to take issue with pretty much the rest of your post. Can't use speed or strength mode? Are you kidding me?

Look, I played on Delta too. My experience was largely that of sprinting away from enemy fire, laying down fire in strength mode, knocking down guards like the road-runner (speed mode into people and they're knocked off their feet) and then hurling them into other guards. Setting up distractions to draw troops away from critical areas and then bounding over rooftops to the opposite end of the base. Man, I managed to pull off so much stuff in that game that most other FPS's just don't really allow for. Heck, I even did a no-cloak run, just to see whether all the complaints of "you can't play this game otherwise!" were actually true.

Turns out they weren't. No cloak run on Delta was maybe a little more difficult than Delta for the lack of the extra option, but that's about it. I'd say it was pretty easy, playing with little to-no cloak usage is my standard playstyle now, you don't really need it when you know how to use cover, it's just an extra option. I still did plenty of stealth and sneaking, there is ridiculous amounts of cover when you need it most of the time. As long as you know what you're doing you can be lying down in good cover with guards walking by 5 feet in front of you and they won't see you. I didn't see Delta as a limitation, playing on Delta pretty much forced me to think more creatively about how to approach situations and even how to be more stealthy in my approaches.

I'm not some super wizard with FPS's. I can't headshot at a hundred yards and I often suck with grenades. Ultimately how much you enjoy Crysis really depends on how much you're willing to put into it. If you're going to play it just like a bog standard FPS, then that's exactly what it's going to turn out like. Crysis doesn't force you into doing crazy and cool things. The game just provides you with the tools, what you do with them is up to you.

What do you mean laying down fire in strength mode? It improves firing strength or something?

My gripe is this: If you never need to use the skill, it has no place being in the game. Yeah, sure you can knock someone down with Speed. You can use Strength to use someone as a human shield. But WHY? These tactics end up being more dangerous than quietly killing everyone from distance and moving in and out of stealth. It's like how the trailers for Bioshock involved doing all this cool, detailed stuff to kill mobs, like laying a proximity mine, creating a hologram of yourself by it and leading a guy into the mine to get blown up. Or you can, you know, shoot him. It was cheaper, faster and easier.

So all my abilities in Crysis felt redundant. Why would you do some elaborate plan with more risk if there was no benefit involved to it? You wouldn't. Then it just becomes a game mechanic tacked on to promote the illusion of multiple approach gameplay, when really, there isn't. There's only the best choice and the other choices. A good game forces you to use all your abilities that you're given, or expand the capability of the abilities you are given to offer real, alternate solutions with comparable rewards.

To me, it reminds me of those RPGs where you could do things the sneaky way just to avoid a fight... But you don't actually get anything for avoiding the fight. On the flip side, you can just kill everybody, scavenge their bodies for loots and fear no consequences of killing every bad guy in the dungeon.

Well Rook already answered your first question, but yeah, Strength mode dampens recoil on weapons.

Anjd like I said, it's up to you if you want to play it that way. It'll be dull, dull, dull if you do, just like any other shooter. Or you can actually make use of the powers and do something interesting. Honestly, I found that in Delta difficulty I had to mix things up if I wanted to survive the situations I was dealing with. Sure I could just stay back and trying to snipe snipe snipe snipe snipe snipe snipe until sniping no more could I, but that's not any fun.

I can't say I found myself at any more risk from using the suit powers. For me, it was standing in one place all the time in armour mode that got me killed. Good use of cover, speed and strength saw me get stuff done a lot easier than trying to take on an entire base in armour mode. You say it's "cheaper, faster, easier", but I really cannot agree. Cheaper faster and easier for me is knocking over some guy, dropping a grenade at his feat and then running away again. He goes sky high, I drop some C4 where he was, and bound away on rooftops to the other end of the base where my objective is. Meanwhile in my original location when the troops show up, they have a handy surprise waiting for them and another distraction primed for me to let me make a clean getaway.

Or I could just go into armour mode and shoot shoot shoot, but that'll leave me surrounded in a short period of time. Cloak mode doesn't last too long and really, it's more of a crutch if you're using it all the time. It's really meant to be used for short sharp surprises and ambushes, where you're not worried about your power drain leaving you without armour when you surprise people.

Like I said, I just cannot agree that the suit abilities are useless. Maybe you found them that way, but I found it a lot more effective and fun to make use of them.

subedii on