As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The SavyGamer Podcast - Episode 6: Sonic Chronicles Interview

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    As I posted on Savygamer, I wanted to share my dreadful (and not serious) suggestions:

- "Savyinformer"
    - "Computer Using Northerners Talk Savy" The abbreviation may be an issue however.
    - "Deals, diatribes and digressions" (Because everyone loves alliteration and it isn't at all tacky)
    - "Buy Gamers, for gamers" because you do bargains which people "buy". Gettit? Or if you get another two people involved you could have:
    - "Buy Gamers, four gamers".

I'll get my coat.

I think CUNTS would be a brilliant name for this podcast.

Peewi on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Id call it "PAL Release: TBA" As indication (protest) at shitty localization/delays for PAL

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How about 'BOGOFcast' (as in BOG-OFF buy one get one free, since Savygamer is all about ultimate deals?)

That theme music is just perfect... It's like the oncoming storm of Carboard Tube's/LewieP's Mum's Infracting Wrath... :lol:

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh and you should definitely mix some sound samples of the Trader from RE4 in the episode intro's too:
    "What're you buying, stranger?" etc.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Merchant: Is that all?
    Merchant: Welcome stranger.
    Merchant: Got some rare things on sale... stranger.
    Merchant: What're ya buying?
    Merchant: What're ya selling?
    Merchant: Ah... I'll buy it at a high price.
    Merchant: [Laughs] Thank you.
    Merchant: Come back anytime.
    Merchant: [after buying the Magnum] It's not just about shooting, you'll know what I'm talking about.
    Merchant: [selling the Broken Butterfly] I see you have an eye for things! A gun's not just about shooting, it's about reloadin'. You'll know what I'm talking about.
    Merchant: [selling the Handcannon] Stranger, haha! What d'ya need that for? Going huntin' an Elephant?
    Merchant: [selling the Red 9] Ah! The choice of an avid gun collector. It's a nice gun, stranger!

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    As I posted on Savygamer, I wanted to share my dreadful (and not serious) suggestions:

- "Savyinformer"
    - "Computer Using Northerners Talk Savy" The abbreviation may be an issue however.
    - "Deals, diatribes and digressions" (Because everyone loves alliteration and it isn't at all tacky)
    - "Buy Gamers, for gamers" because you do bargains which people "buy". Gettit? Or if you get another two people involved you could have:
    - "Buy Gamers, four gamers".

I'll get my coat.

I think CUNTS would be a brilliant name for this podcast.

Oh yeah, Lewie's mum is definitely going to want to talk on that.

Also, good shit Lewie. I listened to it a couple of days ago but forgot to post my support for ya. :^:

Henroid on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    How about calling it

"If one of us ever comments again about how a game is bad on a PC because the mouse and keyboard isn't as good as a controller, you can beat us to death, for free, anytime."

Was that in reference to Geometry Wars? In that case it's perfectly true.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just call it LAB.
    LISTEN and BUY.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    How about calling it

"If one of us ever comments again about how a game is bad on a PC because the mouse and keyboard isn't as good as a controller, you can beat us to death, for free, anytime."

Was that in reference to Geometry Wars? In that case it's perfectly true.

I think you missed the subtle point I was making.

Rook on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sent my entry - I recommended Half Off Thoughts. Very nice podcast BTW - even though release dates/deals wouldn't apply to me I still found it to be a great listen. I look forward to future updates!

Edit: Guess they're sticking with SavyGamer Podcast as a title - oh well, here's hoping to win the prize anyways - I could use a new import DS game...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm finishing up the editing on today's now, should be up within a few hours. I've a feeling you guys are going to like this one.

Willeth on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How are we looking for an RSS/iTunes feed guys?

Also, the podcast should be named cunts. i just think its funny.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The regular SavyGamer RSS feed is now compatible with podcasts or something (Willeth understands this far better than I)

Basically, if you out the SavyGamer RSS feed into iTunes, it will do podcasts...

Edit: I am really excited about this weeks podcast.

LewieP on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Also, sometimes LewieP is a bit of a cunt with all his stupid Wii puns.

EDIT:
    LewieP wrote: »
    The regular SavyGamer RSS feed is now compatible with podcasts or something (Willeth understands this far better than I)

Basically, if you out the SavyGamer RSS feed into iTunes, it will do podcasts...

That doesn't help if you want to use an RSS reader and get just the podcast.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You guys should record these on Tuesdays.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Why?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I can guarantee that this is not a winning entry.

I'm considering setting up a different feed just for the podcast, but unless I'm misunderstanding it considerably I'll need to start a separate blog to call it from. I'm not exactly against that, but it's a hassle. If enough people want that functionality then sure.

The current feed is iTunes compatible and will download the podcast and nothing else. The feed is http://feeds.feedburner.com/savygamer and you add it through the Advanced menu, under Subscribe to Podcast. It's not on the iTunes Store yet because they want my credit card info even though I'm not going to buy anything. If anyone knows if I can do it without this let me know - I'm going to ring Apple on Monday.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I can guarantee that this is not a winning entry.

I'm considering setting up a different feed just for the podcast, but unless I'm misunderstanding it considerably I'll need to start a separate blog to call it from. I'm not exactly against that, but it's a hassle. If enough people want that functionality then sure.

The current feed is iTunes compatible and will download the podcast and nothing else. The feed is http://feeds.feedburner.com/savygamer and you add it through the Advanced menu, under Subscribe to Podcast. It's not on the iTunes Store yet because they want my credit card info even though I'm not going to buy anything. If anyone knows if I can do it without this let me know - I'm going to ring Apple on Monday.

If they just want a credit card number (and not charging anything) I'll stick it up if you want. Every other fucker in the world has it, don't see why apple should be an exception.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Thanks, but Ill see how I get on on the phone first. Anyway:

The new episode is up
    ! This week, we have a special guest interview with Jonathan Blow, the man behind Braid for Xbox Live Arcade, and Lewie's mum makes an appearance, along with all the stuff you expect.

Exciting stuff!

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Why?

Cause then at the end you can say see you next tuesday and it fits in with the name.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Why?

Cause then at the end you can say see you next tuesday and it fits in with the name.

oho

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Why?

oho

Actually, I kinda agree in that there are a lot of really good podcasts that get released on thurs-fri, and basically none that get released on a monday-tuesday.

Rook on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why?

oho

Actually, I kinda agree in that there are a lot of really good podcasts that get released on thurs-fri, and basically none that get released on a monday-tuesday.

Friday it is then.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    'Mummy's Minute' needs a catchy radio jingle. :P

Great show, how did you manage to get the interview?
    You should've asked Jonathan "Do you think Microsoft are a bunch of greedy bastards?".
    I can just imagine the response, he seems like an honest guy. :lol:

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    JB is lots of interviews is quite spoiler heavy.

So just to check has this got spoilers in it?

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Nope. Not as far as I am concerned (having not played it yet myself)

LewieP on
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hey Willeth, if you want I can send you a text file and you can basically just fill in anything you might need. I spent a good whole week figuring out the feed/iTunes stuff and I think I have it pretty much figured out.

If you have some webspace, it makes it 1000X easier.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    He's gone to bed now, but that would be ace. Send it to him and I will get him to look it over tomorrow.

LewieP on
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sounds good. All you really need is a text file, some webspace, and a feed burner account. Then you're pretty much set.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nope. Not as far as I am concerned (having not played it yet myself)

Thanking you! Though I might avoid it till I've finished it anyway (as I'm now on black out from info and threads and that - as it's lovely - and I want to play it raw - unlike Portal which I new almost everything about before I played) So I'll give this a listen next week.

Lave II on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll give it a listen on my trip to Manchester next Tuesday folks as I too am loving Braid and don't want to hear anything about it till I've finished it.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'll give it a listen on my trip to Manchester next Tuesday folks as I too am loving Braid and don't want to hear anything about it till I've finished it.

How long you in Manchester for? Want to come round to the 'P' household for tea?

LewieP on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

How long you in Manchester for? Want to come round to the 'P' household for tea?

I'm there with work but there's no reason for me to rush off afterwards! Whereabouts you at in Manchester?

I'll be near the centre (Just a little off Deansgate) but I know way my way about a reasonable amount.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lewie,do you guys need a german ubermensch voice to make your podcast more manly?

I could tell exotic news about the crazy world of videogames in Germany and how german voices make even the worst game into a funny b-movie experience.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    Lewie,do you guys need a german ubermensch voice to make your podcast more manly?

I could tell exotic news about the crazy world of videogames in Germany and how german voices make even the worst game into a funny b-movie experience.

OOOH, Lewie can be like "So I was playing this game where you killed a guy and his head came off and blood went everywhere"

and you can be like "wait, killed? Beheaded? BLOOD?"

And everyone can laugh at your crazy German censorship.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »

OOOH, Lewie can be like "So I was playing this game where you killed a guy and his head came off and blood went everywhere"

and you can be like "wait, killed? Beheaded? BLOOD?"

And everyone can laugh at your crazy German censorship.

It would go well with the liberals.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    We're not looking for guest hosts yet, but we might do in the future, I will bear you in mind. :lol:
    I'm there with work but there's no reason for me to rush off afterwards! Whereabouts you at in Manchester?

I'll be near the centre (Just a little off Deansgate) but I know way my way about a reasonable amount.

Urmston, right near the Trafford Centre. Bout 20 minutes on the train, or one of my parents could pick you up probably.

Send me a txt ;-)

LewieP on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Next Week, on the Savy Gamer Podcast: Lewie's mum discusses the hardships of raising her son.

... <.<

The interview was great, and that guy didn't beat around the bush much with his answers.

Henroid on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    Next Week, on the Savy Gamer Podcast: Lewie's mum discusses the hardships of raising her son.

He only gives me 2 minutes, that would take several weeks worth of podcasts!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So yeah, 2 'casts in, and I think things are going pretty well. We have a great interview set up for next week's show too.

I have a request for you guys now. The interviews we have got lined up have been via these boards. I know that there are a whole bunch of well connected people here.

If you, or you know anyone who works in the games industry (not so much journalism, I mean like development, publishing or retail), who would be A) Interesting to hear an interview of and B) Up for it, I would love it if you either PM me, or email me at lewiep at savygamer dot co dot uk with their contact details.

I think if we can keep the momentum going with these interviews, it could really set The SavyGamer Podcast apart from a lot of the other podcasts out there.

LewieP on