Options

What is Real? not The Matrix

• Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    somone tell me how to spell that anime I liked about two kids in near future tokyo

Tenkenkinkonkrete or something huge like that

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rolo wrote: »
    Actually I found that the entire scene played out the concept of God vs Human pretty well.

It's got its own philosophical failings, but more importantly it's an example of some pretty piss-poor storytelling. It's the climax of the mysteries we saw in the first half of the trilogy, but they don't show it, they just tell it - in an awfully acted dialog exchange between two characters. There are so many better ways of presenting that kind of resolution to your audience - they could have made Neo's choice revelatory, instead the average audience member was either confused, bored or annoyed with the most important scene in the trilogy.

Quite right. Interesting. That was quicker than the others.

oh god am I

TRAPPED IN A MATRIX???

Also, why does everyone who comes back into the matrix have to dress like a fucking tool? Leather trenchcoat, knee-high alligator boots and sunglasses at night for no fucking reason. Either bring some Kevlar or dress like a normal person.

Brolo on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    STUDIO EXEC: hey wachowskis, writes something

WACHOWSKIS: you know what's awesome? ANIME. LET'S COPY EVERYTHING ABOUT ANIME, EVEN THE SHITTY PARTS

They were writing a live-action Ghost in the Shell when they first started the original script.

that makes sense, since ghost in the shell is exactly as boring as that architect scene

SAC was good though

SAC is one of the few anime shows I can stand because it isn't just screamy little girly-boys swinging around oversized swords or something

it actually seriously approaches the ideas of AI, police states and politics
    yeah, the writing is actually decent

i also liked read or die ova, but i can't watch it for very long because the gratuitous titty flopping makes me wince in sympathy

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    zimfan wrote: »
    somone tell me how to spell that anime I liked about two kids in near future tokyo

TETSUUOOOOO

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Actually I found that the entire scene played out the concept of God vs Human pretty well.

It's got its own philosophical failings, but more importantly it's an example of some pretty piss-poor storytelling. It's the climax of the mysteries we saw in the first half of the trilogy, but they don't show it, they just tell it - in an awfully acted dialog exchange between two characters. There are so many better ways of presenting that kind of resolution to your audience - they could have made Neo's choice revelatory, instead the average audience member was either confused, bored or annoyed with the most important scene in the trilogy.

oh god am I

TRAPPED IN A MATRIX???

Also, why does everyone who comes back into the matrix have to dress like a fucking tool? Leather trenchcoat, knee-high alligator boots and sunglasses at night for no fucking reason. Either bring some Kevlar or dress like a normal person.

So they can identify each other.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    edited August 2008

TETSUUOOOOO

"A strange man known only as the "metal fetishist", who seems to have an insane compulsion to stick scrap metal into his body"

Nope not Tetsuo

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008

TETSUUOOOOO

"A strange man known only as the "metal fetishist", who seems to have an insane compulsion to stick scrap metal into his body"

Nope not Tetsuo

KANEEEEDAAAA

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

WACHOWSKIS: you know what's awesome? ANIME. LET'S COPY EVERYTHING ABOUT ANIME, EVEN THE SHITTY PARTS

They were writing a live-action Ghost in the Shell when they first started the original script.

that makes sense, since ghost in the shell is exactly as boring as that architect scene

SAC was good though

SAC is one of the few anime shows I can stand because it isn't just screamy little girly-boys swinging around oversized swords or something

One thing I really liked about SAC was the prose. There are too few shows out now that really do good with character interactions and showing how people tend to behave. Granted, the Major was basically a cyborg Mary Sue, but most of the cast was still pretty solid. Especially the voice acting. I couldn't really stick with the show in the long-run, because it was just too serious. It's pretty rare that any show can keep my attention without a balance of humor and action and drama in the mix.

Twelve Kingdoms did this extremely well, although the premise of the story and a lot of elements to it probably seem downright absurd to a lot of folks.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I will invoke Akira and how awesome Akira is.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I thought everyone already knew

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

TETSUUOOOOO

Nope not Tetsuo

KANEEEEDAAAA

OOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUEEEEEENDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited August 2008

SAC was good though

One thing I really liked about SAC was the prose. There are too few shows out now that really do good with character interactions and showing how people tend to behave. Granted, the Major was basically a cyborg Mary Sue, but most of the cast was still pretty solid. Especially the voice acting. I couldn't really stick with the show in the long-run, because it was just too serious. It's pretty rare that any show can keep my attention without a balance of humor and action and drama in the mix.

Twelve Kingdoms did this extremely well, although the premise of the story and a lot of elements to it probably seem downright absurd to a lot of folks.

I liked Twelve King

SAC was basically NYPD Blue with robots.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Adorable robots.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited August 2008

I would have thought so to, but I've found those who fall short of the greatness of this truth.
    Speaking of greatness, do you get your nick from Invader Zim? (Cause that show kicked ass)

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

oh god am I

TRAPPED IN A MATRIX???

seriously what the fuck is this:
    goth.jpg
    WE HAVE BEEN FREED FROM THE MATRIX AND ITS COMPETENT HAIRSTYLISTS

Brolo on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Goatmon wrote:
    Adorable robots.

And a soundtrack by Yoko Kanno, which is just neat.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I would have thought so to, but I've found those who fall short of the greatness of this truth.
    Speaking of greatness, do you get your nick from Invader Zim? (Cause that show kicked ass)

I do

but a lot of people here despise it so I don't bring the show up

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    ubernekouberneko Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What if the simulated reality hypothesis is real and 12/21/2012 just happens to be when our scientist overlords / 12 year old The Sims player decide to see what happens in a world wide catastrophic event?

uberneko on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

I do

it's not the show, it's the fans

specifically the emo/goth fucks with Gir pasted to their foreheads

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

oh god am I

TRAPPED IN A MATRIX???

silliness

I remember that one captain, Roland, being pretty reasonable with his clothes, just a dark suit, nothing crazy

But he was an older dude and not inclined toward foolishness it seemed

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I do

it's not the show, it's the fans

specifically the emo/goth fucks with Gir pasted to their foreheads

Oh, that's why I could never get into the show

I guess all the goth freaks who loved it just turned me away

hmm, I never really thought about it till now

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    LETS ALL GO SHOP AT HOT TOPIC!

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

The animation was, and still is, pretty awesome.

The story hasn't aged well.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Tekkon Kinkreet

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    abearwhospeakslies.jpg

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Alright who here has seen this

51zU8PHXPXL._SS500_.jpg

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    the overtly anime style puts me off

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    it's in my Netflix queue

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I have not.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

oh god am I

TRAPPED IN A MATRIX???

goth.jpg

I don't know I think they look pretty fucking cool. well ok some of them.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I really like Jada Pinkett-Smith's hairstyle

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think you people should go watch Tekkon Kinkreet

Mostly because I like it and haven't met anyone who's seen it

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I like the black dude in the background in the lime green shirt.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    fine, I'll move it to the top of my queue

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I really like Jada Pinkett-Smith's hairstyle

Her hairstyle is a metaphor.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I like the black dude in the background in the lime green shirt.

Thats a chick.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    you know who was pretty cool in the sequels?
    Matrix%20(seraph%20ofzo).jpg

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    And think about it though, most people wear like t-shirts and shit. If you have a computer that can dress you anyway you want, why wouldn't you go for leather and Armani suites and shit?

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

oh god am I

TRAPPED IN A MATRIX???

goth.jpg

the matrix is what would happen if i was put in charge of a costume department

Kovak on
  • Options
    ubernekouberneko Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Has anyone ever seen one of the very first Matrix trailers? IIRC you can see a bit of the film crew when it shows a clip of Neo running sideways on the wall in the lobby shoot out.

uberneko on