Options

[WAR] Are you in the beta action, or are you some kinda sissy girl?

• Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Babble wrote: »
    Great Keep Siege today guys. To bad they started taking it back after we broke up... But that is perpetual war for you.

I have a bunch of pictures I will post later.

They didn't get it.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This last patch they did made the game playable for me. I still get some CTDs but I can actually play the game now.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    xgalaxyxgalaxy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    While I think the 10/6 gear needs to be looked at, you can't really extrapolate the experiences you've had with it for the higher tiers in the game and come to the conclusion that renown gear / progression needs rebalancing.

From my experience in the higher tiers, things begin to even off much better with regards to differences in gear.

Putting fun aside for a moment, I don't really care all that much about being low level against someone with 10/6 gear in the scenarios. I'm going to be getting a baseline reward of exp/renown anyway which I feel more than compensates any time I would have spent in the scenario, regardless if I won or lost. And given time I will probably get the gear myself. Since going up against someone with the gear doesn't stop my progression in the game in anyway, I just kind of shrug it off.

Now, from a fun aspect. It is totally stupid and frustrating to go against someone with 10/6 gear in the scenarios and I have no doubt its going to get changed in some way.

xgalaxy on
    GW2: Rancid Cupcake (Necro), Ranch Dressing (Ranger)
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is anyone else finding after the most recent patch their game freezes up at the loading menu when you first start it up?

I did download the new 9800 GTX driver though, so it may be that.

Kelor on
  • Options
    NH03NH03 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Figgy wrote: »
    I have a sneaking suspicion that the renown gear will be changed for launch, and I wouldn't be surprised if they made renown progression much, much slower.

In every interview/video about the gear in this game I've ever seen, they always say they don't want your gear to define you. They say a completely geared character will have a slight advantage over someone with regular, run-of-the-mill stuff. As it stands, a 10/6 geared character is god-like compared to a quest-geared character.

God-like... in the sense that I can take down entire groups of mobs my own level with AOEs on my Sorc. If I had the inclination, I could probably power-level people that way in a sexy, sexy shower of giant purple spiky things.

It's not that the gear is overpowered, its just that people tend to go straight to the rvr action instead of completing the quests that are supposed to be completed during the time you are rvring.

Your time spent looks like this I'm sure.

quest - pq - quest - quest - pq - Warcamp - rvr - purchase renown gear

While you were supposed to infact, continue questing and pqing to get your full set of gear that you're supposed to be getting if you continue questing. People on the other side who don't have the rvr gear like you, are in fact, doing the same exact thing you are.

Everyone supposed to have the same slot gear at around the time you reach the appropriate level.

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Part of the issue I think is that there isn't any guy you meet who goes oh hey you can grab some awesome gear dude, just fly on over to the T2 area and pick it up when you reach the first warcamp.

So you have people who were in the closed beta and those who read about it running around in it while others haven't heard anything about it.

There is a huge disparity between influence/quest rewards and 10/6 gear. The difference between 14/8 and 10/6 is great deal closer.

Kelor on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    When does this Head Start play stuff start, exactly?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I killed this big ass troll named Clawgut and got nothing for it.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Are multiple Victory Cries normal?

No clue if they actually stack, but I have 6 at this point.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It seems this latest patch made the game crash every few minutes on my buggy computer. Ah well.

After my admittedly limited experience with the game I am concerned about the scenarios. What's going to keep higher ups from rolling in and screwing with it?

Quid on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    high leveled people can't join lower level scenarios

I tried it once and it just said I was too high level

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    how do I go about binding Morale skills to a key?

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    high leveled people can't join lower level scenarios

I tried it once and it just said I was too high level
    So are they prevented from attacking as well?

Quid on
  • Options
    waywardryanwaywardryan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Are the mirror classes exactly the same? For example bright wizard and sorceress seem to be the same thing. Do they have the exact same setup with different animations?

waywardryan on
    Lemon - Bright Wizard
    Bijaz - Ironbreaker
  • Options
    ElosElos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Woodroez wrote: »
    how do I go about binding Morale skills to a key?
    Default binds are F9-F12 I think, they can be found in the settings like everything else.

I just realized I started this RVR-session around 21:00 and it's now 5:30 in the morning. It was that fun even though destruction kept steamrolling us with their superior numbers. A covert operation to Marshes of Madness allowed us some peace and quiet but it was so damn hard to get people to stop mindlessly zerging the opposing zerg and start actually doing something.

RVR will be so much fun with an organized group.

Elos on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ah crap, i can't patch so I can't log in. gives me an error.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Are the mirror classes exactly the same? For example bright wizard and sorceress seem to be the same thing. Do they have the exact same setup with different animations?

Ugh.

They will have similar mechanics, but no two classes are ever mirrors. They may play similarly, except they do have some instances where they are better or worse in one area or another.

So no, they do not have the exact same set up. A sorc will be different than a bright wizard, but again, they are both ranged dps classes so they will have similar game styles.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

No. Some will seem at first that their differences are very small, but as one progresses the differences become a lot more pronounced. Particularly once mastery paths come into the equation. For example, some people complain that the Bright Wizard has much better mastery paths than the Sorceress, or that the Disciple of Khaine's covenants are much better than the prayers of the Warrior Priest.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    xgalaxy wrote: »
    While I think the 10/6 gear needs to be looked at, you can't really extrapolate the experiences you've had with it for the higher tiers in the game and come to the conclusion that renown gear / progression needs rebalancing.

From my experience in the higher tiers, things begin to even off much better with regards to differences in gear.

Putting fun aside for a moment, I don't really care all that much about being low level against someone with 10/6 gear in the scenarios. I'm going to be getting a baseline reward of exp/renown anyway which I feel more than compensates any time I would have spent in the scenario, regardless if I won or lost. And given time I will probably get the gear myself. Since going up against someone with the gear doesn't stop my progression in the game in anyway, I just kind of shrug it off.

Now, from a fun aspect. It is totally stupid and frustrating to go against someone with 10/6 gear in the scenarios and I have no doubt its going to get changed in some way.

Moron question alert..

What does 10/6, 10R11, etc mean? Is that level 10, realm rank 11? Level 10, realm rank 6?

I only ask because I'm already realm rank 4, so I wouldn't mind trying to get to 6 and get the gear from that.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Greenskins have ruined me for the other races. I could stomach about ten minutes of a dark elf before I put the poor thing out of it's misery and rolled a Shaman.

Oi, oi, oi! *thump*

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    And RR stands for Renown Rank, you have it right.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not normally much of a healer in MMO's, but the way that they divide the healing target and the attacked target makes it really, really fun.

I really love my sorc, but you really feel like you're turning the tide with healers (my shaman, par example in a way that you don't with damage dealers.

Of course, it's way better when you're with good people, but even healing randoms in scenarios can be pretty fun.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Very bad things happen when there aren't any healers around.

My last Scenario was populated by Black Orks and one Squig Herder, up against Six Rune priests, Three Engineers and one or two Cat People.

We couldn't pile enough of us around a single target to kill it through the healing spam. Of course, a level one sorc does more damage than a level six Ork, so it stands to reason.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    From what you guys are saying, I think this game will be amazing.

It's a BETA and it seems to have more enjoyable PvP than any of the other games currently out there. A BETA.

I have every confidence that they'll polish up the last few issues (UI, frames) before the game ships this September.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    widowson wrote: »

It's a BETA and it seems to have more enjoyable PvP than any of the other games currently out there. A BETA.

I have every confidence that they'll polish up the last few issues (UI, frames) before the game ships this September.

The siege we did earlier was possibly the most fun I have had playing PvP/RvR. Waiting for the door's to crumble as your ram bangs on it can't get any better.

Babble on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    widowson wrote: »

Yes, yes, we're all aware it's a beta. Which is largely a part of why I'm leaning on the UI and 10/6 gear issues so hard: they've been in for a long time now, with many reports and suggestions, and no fix. Not even acknowledgment.

It'd be one thing if there was some sort of "hey, okay, we know" from Mythic. But it has felt like making reports to a wall. It doesn't go on their list of known issues (although it has been updated frequently), and it doesn't garner a response saying it's not and issue they're concerned with (or they don't think it's an issue at all). So I just wonder if they're even listening or hearing.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    It ends Monday Morning.

Son of a bitch!

Screw you, Torrent From Hell!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2008
    Chaos corrupts all who drink from its power

1219545352896.jpg

Unknown User on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh shit, treekin!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    The Greenskins have ruined me for the other races. I could stomach about ten minutes of a dark elf before I put the poor thing out of it's misery and rolled a Shaman.

Oi, oi, oi! *thump*

I have to agree. I started playing Chaos, then played Dark Elves for awhile... heck I've even played some of the Order races just to try them out.

Out of everything I've tried, Greenskins have the coolest starting area. There's so much life and character in it, I actually found myself reading quest text again. I was playing around with a Squig Herder and after spending a bit of time with it, I'm rather eager to see what changes Mythic makes. They are a great class, and the Squigs seem to have a life of their own. While doing the Chapter 1 PQ, I just put my Squig on aggressive and said 'go have fun, boy!'. It was great.

Edit: Oh, here's a weird issue I found: I have the thumb buttons on my mouse set up as key modifiers... one does Lalt and the other does Lshift. For some reason, Warhammer won't recognize the Lshift. Or rather, in the key mappings screen it thinks I'm pushing Rshift, which wouldn't be a big deal except that once I've saved everything, the hotkeys I created using shift+key are not recognized at all. Weirdness.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Oi, oi, oi! *thump*

I have to agree. I started playing Chaos, then played Dark Elves for awhile... heck I've even played some of the Order races just to try them out.

Out of everything I've tried, Greenskins have the coolest starting area. There's so much life and character in it, I actually found myself reading quest text again. I was playing around with a Squig Herder and after spending a bit of time with it, I'm rather eager to see what changes Mythic makes. They are a great class, and the Squigs seem to have a life of their own. While doing the Chapter 1 PQ, I just put my Squig on aggressive and said 'go have fun, boy!'. It was great.

Plus we have the best RvR pairing, who doesn't want to bash Stunties!

Babble on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    why is the 10/6 gear issues such a big deal

it's like

the easiest shit to get that you'll be getting anyways

tyrannus on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    http://vnboards.ign.com/warhammer_online_age_of_reckoning_general_board/b22997/108321422/p1
    Folks,

I'll be expanding this as the weekend goes by but here's where we stand right now in terms of some of the issues that have been discussed, tossed around, thrown like a spear at our heads since the Preview Weekend started:

1) We peaked last night at around 30K concurrent players across our servers, that is obviously a great number. During that time the servers performed extremely well in terms of CPU usage and we never once came close to max usage so we know that we will meet our server cap populations for launch.

2) Regarding overall server stability we've pretty much exceeded our expectations. We've only had two full server crashes across all servers since we began. Neither crash was due to player load, CPU overload, code going brain dead,etc. but due to a minor issue on our part. The same is true for region crashes of which we only had two. Unfortunately, we had more scenarios crash (20) than we like but the number is still quite low considering we've been running 15 servers for more than a day.

3) Client crashes (crashes to desktop) are down from the last stage of closed beta and thanks to all the people playing, we've already fixed two issues that have caused some of the CTDs. We're not there yet but we are in better shape than we were last month and we will be even better at launch. Even now the CTDs are lower than some games were at release but having said that, it's not good enough for us and CTDs are issue #1A for us right now.

4) Pet AI and pathing is severely broken. The Preview Weekend patch (3.3) unfortunately borked the system. This is issue #1B for us. Even though this is a beta and new bugs/issues are to be expected, we messed up on this issue. We expect a quick turnaround on this next week. So please accept my apologies for this one, it should not have happened.

5) On the subject of graphical quality, SLI, etc., the problems that some players have reported are being focused on as well. From what we've been able to gather so far (other than on SLI which is a known issue), there is something weird happening with a small percentage of graphic cards as well as a possible issue which crept into this patch. We'll know more about it this week.

6) On some targeting issues, we're looking into that as well.

7) Regarding the GCD, we are not going to remove the GCD but we are continuing to look into some of the issues that have been reported with its use. As our closed beta testers have reported, our Combat Responsiveness Code made a huge difference to the game's feel and we're going to continue to look at the GCD and see if it needs tweaking along with any bug fixes that need to be done. I'll be posting more about this as well in the coming days/weeks. While the bugs with the GCD isn't our #1 priority, making combat feel even more responsive and fun is a major issue so it will continue to get looked at and tweaked over this last month and beyond.

So, that's it for now, more to come as the PW progresses as things arise. Overall we are thrilled with the response to the game on the Web, to our in-game surveys and from our feedback/bug tools. I'm glad we still have almost a month before launch but I am also quite happy where we are other than the problem with pathing/AI for which again I offer my apologies.

Mark

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2008
    mythic is fucking awesome at keeping people informed

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    And RR stands for Renown Rank, you have it right.

So where do I buy the gear? I made it to a warcamp, and picked up renown skills, but I can't find a merchant for the gear.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    GCD?

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think they learned a lot of lessons from DAoC (in particular, post-ToA DAoC), and it sure looks like they're applying those lessons to WAR (I'm not in beta, so I haven't actually played the game).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    GCD?

Global Cool Down... essentially a time after using any skill where no skills can be used. It's to prevent people from just spamming certain attacks which themselves have no built-in cooldown.

The issue with the GCD for me seems to be that I'll try to use an attack, and the animation will go off, but then I'll get a message that the ability wasn't ready. Sometimes this even happens when I'm positive that, at least according to my hotbar, the GCD was over.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    GCD?

Global cool down.

Also of interest for the UI folks:

http://vnboards.ign.com/warhammer_online_age_of_reckoning_general_board/b22997/108321422/p3/?128
    Some Guy wrote:
    I think you may be underestimating how important UI and graphical responsiveness is. Everything else about this game is really fun, and the client is also quite stable. I'm not nearly as bothered by a client crash once every few hours as I am about melee combat not being responsive or synchronized with my keypresses *all the time*.
    Truly I'm not but I know that in terms of priority, we need to make sure that the game is ultra stable first and almost everything else comes second. Whatever problems/mistakes we made in the past, we made sure that overall, DAoC was a really, really stable game and that made its success possible. I think that today's players will be a lot less forgiving about crashes then they were 7 years ago and for that reason alone, client and server stability is our top priority. A stable game gives us a great platform to do everything else we need to do to make a great game and I'd rather have players complaining about the CR code than the game crashing all the time. I'm hoping it will be neither of course but it's one step at a time.

Mark

I'd encourage folks to register and read the VN/IGN boards - they're basically the default 'official' Mythic boards (just as they were with DAoC).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    GCD?

Global cooldown.

Why oh why is zealot so fucking fun.

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
This discussion has been closed.