As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American Presidency : Sara Palin - Republican VP

TechieZeroTechieZero Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
She is young, smart, has experience, conservative, ethical, and a MILF IMO.

Good choice McCain!

TechieZero on

• Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    She is a reform-minded, creationist, evangelical young Republican who refused to abort her retarded Downs-syndrome child.

McCain will get like 105% of the evangelical vote now.

Fucking Republicans!

Qingu on
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited August 2008
    I hope that they made the pick hastily and something slipped through vetting. Biden is a 100% known quantity. He's been vetted to hell and back, and Palin could still have a skeleton in her closet, or could just be a really bad politician, given her inexperience and the relative ease and low pressure of running for governor in one of the lest populous, most republican (at the time she got elected) states in the nation.

Frankly she might just crack up under the stress of a Presidential campaign. There's just no way campaigning for or being Governor of Alaska for two years compares to running on a presidential ticket

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Now there's a candidate I can get behind.

You know, for sex. :winky:

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    sdrawkcaB emaNsdrawkcaB emaN regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone know how good of a politician she is? I.e. debates, speeches, etc

sdrawkcaB emaN on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Now McCain can pretty much clinch the angry Clintonite vote. Come next we're we're gonna be seeing video of Corkey running around the White House.

Is it too late for Biden to have a sex change?

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The only thing I know about her is that she's anti-abortion. I doubt she'll sway any of the Hillary supporters who actually care about a woman's right to choose.

The fact that she's relatively unknown and from Alaska gives me the impression that the Republican party wanted to find a woman to nominate (to play for said Hillary supporters) but they had to look pretty far to find one.

oldsak on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just got into work to work on the noon news -

McCain planned this to take the stage at noon, and will speak for a half hour - thus taking all the time for every local news station.

Whatever, when I have more time I'd love to convey what I heard on Glen Beck on the way over.

In a nutshell - a caller from Alaska, who he introduced with "HERES WHO CAN TELL US ABOUT SARAH. HERES SOMEONE WHO CAN SPEAK TO HER QUALITY BLAH BLAH", basically tanked, and was like 'Um, I dont think she debates well on a NATIONAL level...but locally shes great!"

and then a 'hardcore conservative' called and said she shouldnt be leaving her baby.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    From the BBC
    BBC wrote:
    Ms Palin lacks foreign policy experience and while being a Washington outsider can be an asset for the McCain ticket, it also means she has not been tested on the national stage, our correspondent says.

Her electoral chances may be harmed by the fact that she was placed under investigation in Alaska by state lawmakers at the end of July.

She sacked a public safety commissioner and the allegation is that she sacked him because he had not fired a state trooper who is Ms Palin’s former brother-in-law, and who is in a custody battle with her sister.

She says she has "nothing to hide" and is "cool" about the investigation.

Seems like a clusterfuck disaster choice potentially. Is SHE ready to lead when he CROAKS?

Rook on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This was a brilaint politcal move by McCain. the Women who were for Hillary will flock to him (as if they weren't doing that already).

Artoria on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    dragonsama wrote: »
    This was a brilaint politcal move by McCain. the Women who were for Hillary will flock to him (as if they weren't doing that already).

If the women don't care about issues and just want a woman in the white house, sure. I have a hard time believing that former Hillary supporters will take the chance voting for an anti-abortionist.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have to say that this is actually a pretty good move. Palin, for all intents, seems like a genuinely decent conservative who's actually played by the rules. I don't like her stances, but she kind of seems to me like a younger, cleaner Huckabee.

Quid on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really doubt she will attract most Hillary supporters.

If she's an evangical, creationist, etc, he may have just picked her to get the fundies. Not that the fundies would vote for a democrat anyway, so . . . *shrug*

LadyM on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »

If the women don't care about issues and just want a woman in the white house, sure. I have a hard time believing that former Hillary supporters will take the chance voting for an anti-abortionist.

or any republican after the speeches this last week. they wouldn't be doing it because of hillary at all, that's for goddamned sure.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The real test here is what happens once we actually see Palin in action. Remember that 49 states have no idea who this woman is except... a woman. Even us wonks just have the stat sheet to go off of. We have no video of her, we have no speeches. We have no idea if her speaking skills can cut it at this level. How she answers that question will make a big difference.

No pressure, Sarah.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

There are plenty that simply wanted to see a woman as president. One of them called into Diane Reames yesterday. Now, how many there actually are, and how big of an effect they'll have on the election are two good questions.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gosling wrote: »
    The real test here is what happens once we actually see Palin in action. Remember that 49 states have no idea who this woman is except... a woman. Even us wonks just have the stat sheet to go off of. We have no video of her, we have no speeches. We have no idea if her speaking skills can cut it at this level. How she answers that question will make a big difference.

No pressure, Sarah.

There's a good video of her saying "What does the VP even do?"

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    the most pressure ever. pressure pressure pressure.

Variable on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

No pressure, Sarah.

She's bound to make a lot of gaffes. I mean its completely understandable, given where she is in her career. It's just that now instead of 20,000 people seeing them or hearing about them it'll be 20 million. Also, It's just a hunch but I bet the national media attention will be far greater than she's used to. I think its just a matter of time before she makes some major mistakes.

Cauld on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »

No pressure, Sarah.

...saywhatnow?

Post it.

Postitpostitpostit.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

This is the group of people who were vehemently anti-obama because he 'went to a muslim school'. It's not about issues for them.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Here we go.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ummm I don't think she's a "fundie".

I like the fact that she has smoked the weed when it was legal, she seems more centrist to me, with some good conservative values. Winner winner chicken dinner.

TechieZero on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hi, so....

SaraH.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Seems like a clever and yet stupid move to me. Clever in that McCain is obviously working on the Hillary principle that there are some unhappy Hillary voters out there that he might be able to sway to his side with the lure of a female Vice President. Not clever in that he has chosen someone who is relatively unheard of and not important in the grand Republican scheme of things.

It all comes down to how willing some voters are to suck up and vote Obama, or are going to be Conservative and vote McCain. Principles and Politics should go before face and grace, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to happen in America, now does it?

:|

WMain00 on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

...saywhatnow?

Post it.

Postitpostitpostit.

What does the VP even do?

Three quarters in. The first half is all about the corruption allegations, and the second half is about McCain.

(Edit: I do think its worthwhile watching the whole video)

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I imagine Obama is calling Hillary right now, saying "Say, can you do one itsy favor for me? This Palin woman that McCain just picked as VP? Think you can attack her for the next, say, two months? Oh, and her infant kid has Downs, so be careful. Keep Bill in his cage."

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    End wrote: »

...saywhatnow?

Post it.

Postitpostitpostit.

What does the VP even do?

Three quarters in. The first half is all about the corruption allegations, and the second half is about McCain.
    Oh dear.

That's a paddlin'.

Gosling on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That youtube video is GOLD.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ah what an asshole.

I guess you have to mention it.

also "she's not from washington! she has no idea what happens in washington!"

Variable on
  • Options
    reminderGTOreminderGTO Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I thought Cindy was against having Palin?

Heard In One Of The Seven McCain Households

Cindy: "You picked WHO?"

John: "Alaska's Governor."

Cindy: "The hot BEAUTY PAGEANT BABE?"

John: "Well, yeah, but---"

Cindy: "I wasn't born yesterday, you know!"

John: "Well, relatively speaking--"

Cindy: "You march yourself out there and PICK SOMEONE ELSE!"

John: "I don't think--"

Cindy: "You sure as fuck don't! Call me when you have come to your senses. You've got my cell number."

John: "Cell number? You had one too?"

reminderGTO on
    28qsde.gifZOGBY projects McCain win with 400+ EVs28qsde.gif
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Badum chish.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Good luck, Sarah. Pay no attention to the sword of Damocles over your head, hanging by so slender a thread.

So very slender...

Gosling on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Of course, there is the problem that her state legislature is currently investigating her for abuse of power and getting a state trooper fired for divorcing her sister. Also this pick is hilarious, coming from a misogynist. My feminist friend's reaction:
    I'm a little offended. Does he really think women are that stupid? OMG, she's conservative and has very little meaningful experience, but she has a VAGINA! And boobs! And so do I! I'm voting for McCain so she and I can be BFFs for life!!!!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    World champion snow machine racer?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    son in the army... but so does Biden, right?

Variable on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    World champion snow machine racer?

Woah, what?

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Palin looks like she's being interviewed by a game show host.

"Hi, Alex, my name is Sarah, I'm from Wasilla, Alaska, and I'm happily married to my husband, Todd, we've been together 20 years."
    "Your husband has a very interesting hobby, it says on the card."
    "Yes, he's a snowmobile racer."
    "Well, good luck to you, Sarah, and to John and Barack as well. We return to the board, John, make a selection."
    "POW's for $800."

Gosling on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Wow. I so didn't want to vote for the Marxist, and was lukewarm about my parties choice --- now I am fucking energized!

TechieZero on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Marxist, right.

KalTorak on
This discussion has been closed.