• Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Raere wrote: »
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    People, stop trying to beat Valve.

Jesus Christ.

The game is a few years old at this point. People with some skill can easily create hi-res packs that beat the original stuff.

Nobody has. These people are going on the misconception that higher resolution textures mean better-looking characters. Their shit is abysmal.

It's like everyone has the fucking Innsmouth Look. Realism is not making people look like the blasphemous offspring of man and fishfrog!

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    with his mask and overalls, the Pyro is almost a shyguy already.

Tig on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Jesus Christ.

The game is a few years old at this point. People with some skill can easily create hi-res packs that beat the original stuff.

Nobody has. These people are going on the misconception that higher resolution textures mean better-looking characters. Their shit is abysmal.

It's like everyone has the fucking Innsmouth Look. Realism is not making people look like the blasphemous offspring of man and fishfrog!

Also, the rebels must have found a shipment of face cream. Their complexion is better then mine.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Clearly, Kirby is the spy.

Not Birdo.

Actually...
    bluteamlucariobyzenmigaua6.jpg

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Glenn565 wrote: »

Not Birdo.

Actually...

FUCK YEAH!

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Jesus Christ.

I can't see most of the shit from work, but wouldn't improving just the world textures be a good thing, as long as they kept the characters out of the Uncanny Valley?

'Uncanny Valley' doesn't mean 'bad'.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

Jesus Christ.

I can't see most of the shit from work, but wouldn't improving just the world textures be a good thing, as long as they kept the characters out of the Uncanny Valley?

'Uncanny Valley' doesn't mean 'bad'.

Yes, but the general reaction to a character falling into said valley is. Either they need to make them really, really believable humans, or knock it the fuck off entirely.

Ergo, upgrade world textures, ignore character changes to keep them firmly in the "video game character" world.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wish FakeFactory would just make a enviroments mod.

artoo on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    artoo wrote: »
    I wish FakeFactory would just make a enviroments mod.

I've never taken a look at the packages, but couldn't you just delete anything that textures/remodels a character?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Not Birdo.

this is a better idea.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They don't upgrade the world textures last time I checked, only the models. This is probably because if you just replace the map textures with higher resolution ones the scale goes all wrong, and also the lighting in the maps is precalculated and actually used the map's textures to calculate all kinds of shit, so there's no way to do it without it looking weird other than recompiling the maps.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They don't upgrade the world textures last time I checked, only the models. This is probably because if you just replace the map textures with higher resolution ones the scale goes all wrong, and also the lighting in the maps is precalculated and actually used the map's textures to calculate all kinds of shit, so there's no way to do it without it looking weird other than recompiling the maps.

And that just sounds like wayyyyy too much fun for any mere mortal.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Not Birdo.

Actually...

FUCK YEAH!
    What?

Not SNAKE?! THE ONLY ACTUAL SPY!?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Snake doesn't use knives, man. Wouldn't work.

Err... MGS2 snake, the one in Smash Brothers, doesn't use knives. Fuck if I know what happened in 4. Suppose you could swap backstabbing for neck-snapping, but it wouldn't really be the same.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    JayKaos wrote: »

Err... MGS2 snake, the one in Smash Brothers, doesn't use knives. Fuck if I know what happened in 4. Suppose you could swap backstabbing for neck-snapping, but it wouldn't really be the same.

That, and for some reason no ones been able to rip his model.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Snake uses knives. He just chooses not to in MGS1 and 2. But he knows everything that Big Boss does about CQC.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

He can elude everyone.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Still think Mario should be the Engineer... I have this great mental image of Mario whipping out a plumbers helper and jumping full body on top of it, then going all butter churn on it as a pipe rises out of the ground. Then he jumps off the pipe and the pirana plant emerges, to spit fire at the reds. or blues. whatev.

Samus would make the perfect Soldier. I'm trying to find a spot for Yoshi... but Bowser is definately the Heavy, possibly holding a multi-barrel pipe with pirana plants emerging and ducking back in, spewing fireballs. I think I have a thing for pipes... I should look into that. In any case... Yoshi... he's a dragon, sorta. Pyro? I'll second Snake for the Spy as well. And come on... Scout? Kid Icarus of course!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Tig wrote: »

This, a millions times this! :winky:

Malakaius on
    PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Options
    EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dyvion wrote: »
    Still think Mario should be the Engineer... I have this great mental image of Mario whipping out a plumbers helper and jumping full body on top of it, then going all butter churn on it as a pipe rises out of the ground. Then he jumps off the pipe and the pirana plant emerges, to spit fire at the reds. or blues. whatev.

Samus would make the perfect Soldier. I'm trying to find a spot for Yoshi... but Bowser is definately the Heavy, possibly holding a multi-barrel pipe with pirana plants emerging and ducking back in, spewing fireballs. I think I have a thing for pipes... I should look into that. In any case... Yoshi... he's a dragon, sorta. Pyro? I'll second Snake for the Spy as well. And come on... Scout? Kid Icarus of course!

Yoshi could be medic, using his tongue to heal! ;-)

Edgie on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Edgie wrote: »

This provides some intersting mental imagery. I think I would prefer Princess Peach Ubering Bowser, to Yoshi. I mean... can you imagine? Don't... don't imagine. It's not worth it.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SO HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT REPLACING HL2 CHARACTERS

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    SO HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT REPLACING HL2 CHARACTERS

tl;dr

But seriously... to sum up so far, "Nobody has done a very good job of it. But Nintendo characters would make excellent skins for TF2."

e: I offended Mr. Period.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Someone over at facepunch is trying to convert SSBB'r characters to the Source Engine, that's where that Lucario picture is from so we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out

Impersonator on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »

He can elude everyone.

He's hiding in the /SSBB/cardboard_box/ directory on the disc. Possibly /SSBB/oil_drum/.

This is not rocket science, people.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Malakaius wrote: »

Frankly, I think a Snifit would work better, but whatever.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Malakaius wrote: »

Frankly, I think a Snifit would work better, but whatever.

yeah well the Snifit species is a member of the genus 'Shyguy', obviously

i think i got away with that

Tig on
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    9hjaco.jpg

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Edgie wrote: »

This provides some intersting mental imagery. I think I would prefer Princess Peach Ubering Bowser, to Yoshi. I mean... can you imagine? Don't... don't imagine. It's not worth it.

Imagine it? I have a picture of it somewhere.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »

He can elude everyone.

He's hiding in the /SSBB/cardboard_box/ directory on the disc. Possibly /SSBB/oil_drum/.

This is not rocket science, people.

Actually, several people already ripped his model, its just that they are all dead.

Also, Phonehand, <3 it!

RoyceSraphim on