As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition Recruiting

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    So I'm at the point of diminishing returns as far as time spent working on this and being ready to go with this... so here's an update as far as my campaign goes, and what I'm doing/looking for/whatever.

Spoilered so you don't have to read it of you don't want to. lol.
    I'm still leaning towards August for the start time for this. Although I'd rather start right than start rushed. That I know of currently only one August weekend I won't be around, and I'm still shooting for the maptools portion to be Sunday evening, EST. The dummy maps I've been dabbling with have been on maptools 1.3b__ (don't have the laptop atm). This will be my first time DMing online... but I've been spending some downtime getting the hang of the tool and setting up. You don't have to be an expert in using it to play this game. I want to balance between PBP and Maptool anyway.

The site for the campaign is live, sort of. My coding skills and writing are average at best and I have no editor... but anyway... If you're interested in playing/when the game goes active a lot of the meta-data and other stuff pertaining to the campaign will be found there, and within reason it can be assumed that something mentioned on the page would be something the character knows or would have a vague idea of. Try to avoid being the warrior-type who spends his all his time when not in combat practicing his blade swinging yet somehow knowing inane-but-important random trivia fact #10341. Just saying, anyhoo Here's the link. I'd have made a wiki but in an ironic case of laziness, I don't feel like learning wiki syntax... at all.

Since I'm working on it actively, going there may risk spoilers, if you really care. it also may look funky in places. Anyway, here's a list of the folks that have expressed interest already, and their proposed char. In theory if more people come along I'd try to put together a party that seemed like it would work both in character personality, class makeup, etc. Since it's not first-come first serve, don't roll the scores yet. Just shoot me an idea. If you want to use the alternate point buy, contact me when we get to rolling scores and such.

Ref the initial detailed post for more info. The site will have a more expounded upon version of that post, and this post will be edited to reflect that fact when it does. I simply didn't get around to doing it today and I don't know if I'll get a chance to push it out when I get home... I don't think I'll deviate much from that post, [strike]and may just copypasta it onto the site[/strike]. =P

Anyhoo, a listing of interested parties and their slot/ other ideas so far. The meta-roles will also allow for hot-swapping players with minimal retcon/how the hell did he get here-isms, along with better seeding, heh.

Bok Choi - ?? / ?? / ?? / ??
    Lardalish - Lowborne Refugee / Warlord (Leader) or Fighter (Defender) / Dwarf
    Jebu - ?? / Cleric (Leader) / ??
    DE?AD - Lowerclass Highborne (Conscript) / Rogue (Striker) / Bugbear (Read the 'Races of Zephyr' meta article'. Though it doesn't vary much if at all from what I said in the PM).
    Cosmic Sombrero - ?? / ?? / ?? / ??

I imagine if enough interest is given I'll throw up the OOC sooner. If you have an idea or a question or whatever, PM me.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My campaign could use 1 or 2 more players. OOC link here. The IC thread is somewhat barren.

Short info: We play Friday evening 21.00 CET (summertime)/ 20.00 BST / 15.00 US EDT for roughly 3-4 hours. Right now, the rogue, paladin and ranger are regulars, the warlord is there on occasion. I'd like to fill this to 4-6 players. We use maptools version 1.3b31 at least until next session (I'll test out the newer versions soon, but I heard about some problems that I'd not like).

A session normally consists of 1 encounter, sometimes 2, and RP / storyline. I award xp for both, in order to move through the levels at 1 level / 4 sessions or so.

Open classes: I'd like to have everyone play a different class. That means open are Wizard, Warlock, Cleric, Warrior and perhaps Artificer / Swordmage (at your own risk, with only the first 3 levels known until next month). Starting characters start with 400xp, 200 gold and a single +1 weapon, to keep in line with the idea that all players should be within a level of each other or so, and in line with loot.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've got two slots open for a Tuesday night (7pm EST) maptool game.

Goose! on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I need three people for a proposed long term game.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=6535310#post6535310

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh heck I forgot about this thread. D:

I will update as soon as I can so very sorry. D:

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Still looking for a game...any game! :)

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Contact this guy

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=6588636&postcount=42

And ask him about subbing or whether or not he wants to drop out. But remember its 8am EST.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am going to run an online Forgotten Realms campaign, using maptools and probably a heavily retooled Keep on the Shadowfell (eg, don't expect it to be similar to the published adventure at all) with a heavy planescape influence in the later part of the paragon/early epic tier in September (after the players handbook is released). I will be looking for up to five players and we will play once a week. I am using published adventures for this because I can't make two campaigns (I have a IRL one as well) at once that easily :P

If you're interested either send me a PM or just wait for the official thread when the campaign guide for FR comes out next month.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Updated, for what it's worth. Sorry for the delay.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I need two players willing to either make sheets or use pre-gen'd by players who have disappeared.

You need to be ready by 11 PM EST Monday Night.

You also need to be able to play in a Saturday game at 8 AM ->1 PM Est or thereabouts (with the exception of the 30th.)

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Goumindong wrote: »
    I need two players willing to either make sheets or use pre-gen'd by players who have disappeared.

You also need to be able to play in a Saturday game at 8 AM ->1 PM Est or thereabouts (with the exception of the 30th.)

I might be able to do this. What level?

Goose! on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Goose! wrote: »

I might be able to do this. What level?

Numero uno, sorry, you wont be able to get your high level cravings sated here. At least, not for a good long while.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    As Lardalish said, level 1, but i plan on running all the way through the online campaign, so there will be plenty of opportunity for play.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I'd be up for it.

What are the pre-gens, I could run one of them.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
  • Options
    Draw On Holy MightDraw On Holy Might Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, if Goose! doesn't want in, for lack of high-level shenanigans or something, I would certainly be down.

Draw On Holy Might on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I need two players, plenty of room for you.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I can take on the Warforged Fighter. Because it seems totally awesome.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You two realize that you are committing to a game that is going to be at 8 in the morning right? After the initial "ultra late game"

Post on page 4 from me for more info.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=65743&page=4

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You two realize that you are committing to a game that is going to be at 8 in the morning right? After the initial "ultra late game"
    Eh, I'm so used to getting up at 6am every morning that sleeping in on a Saturday for me is 7am.

And since Goose likes the Fighter I got no problems taking the Tiefling Warlord.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You guys coming?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I didn't realize there was a game tonight, just thought it was the morning. My fault.

Goose! on
  • Options
    FletchsmFletchsm Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just updating my info here

Have been playing a few sessions IRL and need more of a fix than once a month or so.

Looking for any game really, maptools, PbP, whatever. Some time during the week Tuesday-Thursday after 5pm EST until Sept 9th when I can do Mon-Thurs 5pm EST. Play any class that is needed, have DMed a few sessions for my group and played a Warlord so far.

Fletchsm on
    [GIR is disguised as a government agent]
    Gir: I am government man, come from the government. The government has sent me.
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I need two players for a maptool game on Tuesdays 630pm-9/10sish pm PST.
    Check here for more info. All classes welcome.

Edit: Probably no game tonight, only have 1-2 guys showing up.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    japhjaph Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Looking for a game Sunday or Monday anytime after 11 am EST up until 1am EST. Might start something up myself (DM by Vent/maptools) if things look dire.

japh on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Looking for a Maptools game. Pretty much any day after 6pimsh EST.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ok, so we need, or rather, would like to have, one more person for our game.

Game Info:
    Game: 4e Long term
    Venue: Maptools and PA Vent
    Time: Saturday Morning (usually starting at 8am and running till around 12pm) EST
    Required System Knowledge: Little to None, if you have a PHB you can play
    Players: 4 currently, (rogue, fighter, wizard, warlord)
    Creation: Standard level 1

Now, we might be having a game this Wednesday at 11pm EST but this is a ONE TIME ONLY thing. Trying to make up for not having a game this past Saturday. We will be playing this coming Saturday at the normal time. So far we have only had one session so you wouldnt have missed much.

If you would like to play I guess post interest and send a PM to Goumindong.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh, pick me.

Draw On Holy Might on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Aaaaand, updated.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh, pick me.

If you understand that the night game is only a ONE TIME THING, and that the normal playing time will be Saturday MORNINGS at like 8AM then, yeah fire a PM off.

I wouldn't restate it except that we've gotten a couple people who thought we normally play at night.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, it's cool. Goum already sent me a PM laying down the basics.

Finishing the character now. I'll have it up in a bit for everyone's perusal.

Draw On Holy Might on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Eeeeeexxxxcellllent

Lardalish on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Any role, PBP, please.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    O.K. so our defender figured out that he can't wake up in time to make the game. I need another player who is willing to make a level 2 defender[if possible, we have 2 strikers, 1 leader, and a controller] who is willing to play

1. One time, tuesday starting between 5 and 9pm EST[not sure when we are going to start, depends on what you need][if you want to play and have to miss this game, don't worry, the adventure is about to wind down and it will make it easier to add you into the game, alternately we can go the retcon route]

2. Saturdays at 8 AM EST there-after. Game will be long term. 100% attendance is not required nor expected, but good attendance is better for everyone involved.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Anyone starting a game up?

Goose! on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey there... Just looking for a RESERVE spot in case one of my guys is like, gone-gone. Given most of the spots have been taken already, the options for a character are somewhat limited. There's an IC/OOC post up already that you could look at with most of the information to look at. There is more information behind the spoiler below.
    You must be able to post at least once a day, within reason of course. On average we do about 2 to 3 update cycles a day... so if you could do more than one a day, it would be rather nice. I understand RL comes first and stuff just happens, which is exactly why I'm just looking for a reserve player atm.

There's more details on the OOC thread here,

- You'd be starting @ level 2 (1001 XP) more info on the roll/etc on the thread.
    - You would have to be a controller (Wizard).
    - You'd be of the 'Highborne' origin and can fit either 'Upperclass (affluent, rich)' or 'Lowerclass (po')' meta-types. It's explained somewhat in the thread.

About the table.

As I've said above, since it's just a reserve spot I'm not going to wall-of-text this post with details, since there may not even be a need to do so. So, ooc thread for more info.

- As a general rule I don't care about your sources of items/etc, so long as it's within reason. I have no 3rd party product prejudice. However, Drow or Genasi (or other races) won't be allowed because the setting doesn't have anything to account for their existence, and I'm lazy. if you get something from Dragon be sure to quote it or something because once it goes pay I won't be subscribing.
    - I don't run a "serious-business" table, and even my NPCs are aware of this. So if that would bother you... well. yea.
    - My interpretation of the rules is fluid. So if that would bother you... well. yea.
    - The core assumption that "Adventurers are exceptional" is not true either. You are not beautiful and unique snowflakes, sorry. Gods function differently too but it's not in the scope of this campaign.

So again, I'm looking for a RESERVE player... as in a on the side, wait and see person. not that there's a line or something rofl... but yea. I just don't know what's going on atm. just PM me if you are for some reason interested in my goofy DMness. ;p

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    oh man. just got the 4e book and I was wondering if anybody had plans to run a game soon?

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just getting ready to pick up a 4th edition PHB so I'll probably be interested in joining in very soon.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    hey, I had an idea. I'm not sure how the logistics of it would work out... but what if we played a game of Dwarf Fortress using 4e? We could start with a group of 7 dwarves who set out to build a fortress in the mountains. start as a caravan, find a site, start building/digging (with the occasional creature encounter, of course). Later on more people could join (maybe even elf or human?), and we could bring on some NPC's as well for tasks that nobody might want to fill.

We would have to homebrew up the 4e system a bit to deal with things like crafting skills and to play around with some other things like a lack of magic, and adding/removing various creatures/species.

I guess there wouldn't really be classes either... more just skill based.

The more I think about this the more I think we might want to use something other than DnD rules... maybe make up our own ruleset or use GURPS or something.

or maybe I'm just totally insane and this is an awful idea.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    hey, I had an idea. I'm not sure how the logistics of it would work out... but what if we played a game of Dwarf Fortress using 4e? We could start with a group of 7 dwarves who set out to build a fortress in the mountains. start as a caravan, find a site, start building/digging (with the occasional creature encounter, of course). Later on more people could join (maybe even elf or human?), and we could bring on some NPC's as well for tasks that nobody might want to fill.

We would have to homebrew up the 4e system a bit to deal with things like crafting skills and to play around with some other things like a lack of magic, and adding/removing various creatures/species.

I guess there wouldn't really be classes either... more just skill based.

The more I think about this the more I think we might want to use something other than DnD rules... maybe make up our own ruleset or use GURPS or something.

or maybe I'm just totally insane and this is an awful idea.

The whole dungeon-building thing (well I guess fortress building in this case) is an awesome idea but 4e is probably not the ruleset to use. :p

INeedNoSalt on