Options

Cooking on a college budget

13»

• Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »
    If you crack an egg into your boiling water right before you put ramen noodles in, it is tasty

Is it in any way similar to egg drop soup?

This reminds me, egg drop soup, my mother's style is dead easy.

1 can of creamed corn
    1 can of chicken stock and an equal amount of water
    1 or 2 eggs (depending on size)
    1 pot

Combine equal amounts of chicken stock and water and creamed corn. Let it come to a boil. Take egg and crack them into a container (I normally just use the cans). Beat them till they're scrambled. Then take a spoon and gently start stirring the soup in one direction while slowly pouring the eggs into the spinning soup. Once all the egg is in and cooked, served with as much white pepper as you want. Awesome.

Edit: Sliiiiiight mix up with the ingredients.

Underdog on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Kealoha wrote: »
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Kealoha wrote: »
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    cytorak wrote: »
    Taco Soup
    I think most people would call that Chili.

Unless English isn't your first language, then I sincerely apologise.

On that note, how do you think canned fish chili would taste?

Gross. But I don't think I've ever had canned fish.

Then what do you put in your tunafish sandwiches?

Oh. I thought you were talking something a little more... fish-like.

The texture of tuna (canned, at least) would make for a really odd tasting chili, I think. Plus, fish just doesn't seem to go well with that sort of dish for me.

Apparently, salt cod goes well with piri-piri sauce, although I don't know how much it costs (canned tuna and salmon are probably the cheapest kinds of fish)
    I know tilapia is both cheap and very firm (or maybe that's just the way my mom cooks it), so it might work.
    I'm guessing white fish salad would be too weird, but I think lox might stand a chance, as it has a quite different flavor and texture when cooked (fantastic in scrambled eggs and stir fry).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Underdog wrote: »
    If you crack an egg into your boiling water right before you put ramen noodles in, it is tasty

1 can of canned corn
    1 can of chicken stock
    1 or 2 eggs (depending on side)
    1 pot

Combine equal amounts of canned corn and chicken stock. Let it come to a boil. Take egg and crack them into a container (I normally just use the cans). Beat them till they're scarmbled. Then take a spoon and gently start stirring the soup in one direction while slowly pouring the eggs into the spinning soup. Once all the egg is in and cooked, served with as much white pepper as you want. Awesome.
    This

This sounds delicious

Medopine on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When I was trying to be all bad ass I would pop raw eggs at work Rocky style. It grossed people out but I never got sick once.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Taco Soup

On that note, how do you think canned fish chili would taste?

I cooked that Freshman year, in a culinary misadventure that resulted in stuff being added to the wok because it seemed like a good idea. I think it started off as a pasta sauce, then grew in complexity.

It didn't taste that bad, but my neighbours complained about the smell for a while.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i made pasta using tuna cuz tuna was what i had for meat

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The most delicious chili I've ever had is from Cook's Illustrated. It's not entirely inexpensive, but it reheats well, is relatively easy to make, and is fucking delicious.

The key is that is uses a lot of spices and sautés them to bloom their flavors. If you can buy spices wholesale (as opposed to in jars), please do so, as it's a lot cheaper. Note that the recipe calls for canned diced tomatoes and canned tomato puree—don't fuck up by buying the wrong kind of tomato products. Also, make sure you use 85% lean ground beef—the fat content is important. You will need a pretty big pot—at least 6 quarts.

You can fry up a few (chopped up) slices of bacon and then use the fat from that instead of the vegetable oil at the beginning. You can also use black beans instead of kidney beans. I like to eat it with lots of tortilla chips.

Ingredients
    • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or corn oil
    • 2 medium onions , chopped fine (about 2 cups)
    • 1 red bell pepper , cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    • 6 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 tablespoons)
    • 1/4 cup chili powder
    • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
    • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
    • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • 2 pounds 85 percent lean ground beef
    • 2 (15-ounce) cans red kidney beans , drained and rinsed
    • 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes , with juice
    • 1 can (28 ounces) tomato puree
    • Table salt
    • 2 limes , cut into wedges

Directions:

1. Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed nonreactive Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking, 3 to 4 minutes. Add onions, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, pepper flakes, oregano, and cayenne; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add half the beef; cook, breaking up pieces with wooden spoon, until no longer pink and just beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add remaining beef and cook, breaking up pieces with wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes.

2. Add beans, tomatoes, tomato puree, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Remove cover and continue to simmer 1 hour longer, stirring occasionally (if chili begins to stick to bottom of pot, stir in 1/2 cup water and continue to simmer), until beef is tender and chili is dark, rich, and slightly thickened. Adjust seasoning with additional salt. Serve with lime wedges and condiments if desired.

Slow Cooker Option: At the end of step 1, transfer the cooked beef mixture to a slow cooker; add the rest of the ingredients as directed in step 2. Cook the chili on the high setting for four hours.

Qingu on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Taco Soup

The hominy and corn makes it crunchier than chili, and all of the juices from the vegetables makes it more soup-like than chili-like.

It's not like I'm calling pizza "Italian Sauce Bread."

cytorak on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also: the best chocolate chip cookies are also the easiest to make. You don't need a mixer or anything. If you have Kahlua, use only 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and add 2 teaspoons of the Kahlua for a more delicious cookie.

The cookies also taste significantly better if you let the dough rest in the refrigerator for a day or two. (Keep it in a plastic bag in the meantime.)

Ingredients
    •*2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour (I use Pillsbury unbleached)
    • 3/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 and 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
    •*1/2 cup white sugar
    • 1 cup packed brown sugar (I use organic, but light or dark both work)
    • 1 egg
    • 1 egg yolk
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla
    • semisweet chocolate chips (about a 1/3 - 1/2 of the package, depending on brand)

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees, with racks on top-middle and bottom-middle. Melt the butter in a microwave and let cool until just warm to the touch (not hot). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (or spray lightly with cooking spray).

2. In one mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda, set aside. In another mixing bowl, stir together white sugar and brown sugar with a large spoon. Then pour in melted butter and stir the mixture hard until well-combined and there is no greasy film on top (at least a minute of hard stirring). Add in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir to combine.

3. Add the dry ingredients (from your first mixing bowl) to the butter-sugar-egg mixture in three batches, stirring after each batch. VERY IMPORTANT: do NOT overmix. Use a gentle hand when stirring in the flour. When you're done, the dough should have a consistency similar to play-dough—you should be able to roll it into balls without it sticking to your hands. (If it's still too sticky, add a bit more flour.) Stir in chocolate chips to taste.

4. Roll dough into balls slightly larger than golf balls and place on baking sheets. You should have 18 balls total. Place baking sheets in oven and bake for 15-18 minutes. Halfway through the baking time, switch baking sheets from top to bottom and rotate them around 180 degrees. The cookies are done when their edges are well-set and brown but their centers are still moist. Take them out of the oven and let them cool on the baking sheets.

Qingu on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The New York Times ran a feature on professionally-made chocolate-chip cookies a while ago, and included a recipe from one of the restaurants. I had to cut the recipe in half to make it manageable, but they are damn good. I also like to replace some of the flour with oatmeal ground up in a food processor - adds a great oatmeal flavor and chewiness.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Underdog wrote: »

1 can of canned corn
    1 can of chicken stock
    1 or 2 eggs (depending on side)
    1 pot

Combine equal amounts of canned corn and chicken stock. Let it come to a boil. Take egg and crack them into a container (I normally just use the cans). Beat them till they're scarmbled. Then take a spoon and gently start stirring the soup in one direction while slowly pouring the eggs into the spinning soup. Once all the egg is in and cooked, served with as much white pepper as you want. Awesome.
    This

This sounds delicious

It is soooooo good. You can also thicken it up a bit by adding starch (potato or corn). Just remember to mix the starch with a bit of water first and make sure it dissolves a bit in the water to avoid clumping in the soup. If you want to get fancy, you can cube some bits of chicken, pan fry them and add them into the soup just before serving.

It's hilarious because I always get super excited when she makes it and she doesn't understand why considering it takes her about 10 minutes to do and nothing needs to be prepped.

Underdog on
  • Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Your basic carbonara is egg, milk and pasta. Usually you toss in some ham and/or bacon too, but it's a pretty delicious pasta recipe that I really like.

Alfredo sauce is also really easy to make; all you need is a carton (1/2 pint) of heavy cream, a clove of garlic, a little olive oil, and some parmesan cheese. Preferably some shallot too, but it's not really necessary.

Pour olive oil in a pan, and throw in some minced garlic (and shallot if you do use some). Cook for a very short time, just a minute or two; the garlic will burn if you're not careful. Now pour in the cream, and heat it until it starts to bubble and reduce a little. Pour in grated parm. cheese (about 1-2 cups), and cook until cheese melts. Add some white pepper (or black) if desired, and pour over pasta of your choice (I usually use fettucine).

Some chicken or mushrooms in the sauce is a great way to add to the meal

Eupfhoria on
    steam_sig.png