Options

The American Presidency: A thread about the presidential elections? Maybe!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Ok christ she didn't even answer the newspaper question. How fucking hard was that? She is not some kind of hidden debater.

I am now doubting whether she reads newspapers regularly. That shouldn't be possible.

Well honestly if not for me getting the times at my place and work having the PI (both seattle papers for those curious) I wouldn't read a news paper either, but I doubt she reads the net.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm having a hard time deciding which of those is the most damning. Seriously.

Is it "being gay is a choice"? That won't faze the base, but it might hurt her chances with indies.

Is it that -- Oh wait who am I kidding: SHE CAN'T NAME A NEWSPAPER.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sheep wrote: »
    Nice call by Obama.
    As we’ve seen a lot that takes place on Wall Street comes from perception as well as real numbers so I think it was a smart move for Obama to ask that the FDIC insurance on our bank accounts get raised to 250K. It gives people confidence in their banks and will ease a little tension there. What would happen if everyone withdrew their money from from their bank out of fear? Talk about a nightmare. He needs to lead on the economy and this is a good step.

“The majority of American families should rest assured that the deposits they have in our banks are safe,” Obama said in a statement put out by his presidential campaign.

“That is why today, I am proposing that we also raise the FDIC limit to $250,000 as part of the economic rescue package - a step that would boost small businesses, make our banking system more secure and help restore public confidence in our financial system.”

The FDIC has joined in:

The chairman of the House Financial Services Committee has told lawmakers that a federal bank regulator will seek authority to increase the deposit insurance limit to a level above its current $100,000, said a source familiar with the chairman’s thinking.

Representative Barney Frank, a Massachusetts Democrat, has told lawmakers of his committee that Sheila Bair, chairman of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, will soon request the authority to boost the level of insured deposits, the source said.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/09/30/obama-wants-to-raise-the-fdic-limit-to-250k/

That's an excellent update to an important protection after the Great Depression.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Richy wrote: »

Ross Perot and other ex military people have pushed that same theory, who knows.

psychotix on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My roommate actually bought the idea that Pelosi could have conceivably cost us the bailout by speaking negatively of the Bush administration, and I ended up having a two hour argument with him over it. He said I couldn't see things from the Republican point of view because I'm not an independent, like him.

Now I'm debating whether or not to show him that Think Progress link with the Republican Party completely disavowing that very thought, or if it's better to let it slide because he'll probably just say that not every Republican has gone on record as saying they didn't change their vote over Pelosi's statements.

Where do you guys draw the line with this shit?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Leaked still from thursdays debate, careful this is from the future.

2902398249_9ffd2eb638.jpg

Bringing new meaning to the phrase "quick and dirty", Preacher, ladies and gentlemen.

What silly liberals don't understand is that that's not lipstick. That's blood. She's already devoured the moderator; Biden's next.

Please. Like Joe is scared.
    Biden.jpg

The only real question is which future will come to pass
    Future A or Future B

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

What's he worried about? It's okay to cut out you're comrade's heart and eat it to survive after he has died.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Couric: Do you believe evolution should be taught as an accepted scientific principle or as one of several theories?

Palin: Oh, I think it should be taught as an accepted principle. And, as you know, I say that also as the daughter of a school teacher, a science teacher, who has really instilled in me a respect for science. It should be taught in our schools. And I won't deny that I see the hand of God in this beautiful creation that is Earth. But that is not part of the state policy or a local curriculum in a school district. Science should be taught it science class.

Alright Palin.

You get one.

Sheep on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couric: Do you believe evolution should be taught as an accepted scientific principle or as one of several theories?

Palin: Oh, I think it should be taught as an accepted principle. And, as you know, I say that also as the daughter of a school teacher, a science teacher, who has really instilled in me a respect for science. It should be taught in our schools. And I won't deny that I see the hand of God in this beautiful creation that is Earth. But that is not part of the state policy or a local curriculum in a school district. Science should be taught it science class.

Alright Palin.

You get one.

Note that she didn't answer the question.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cantido wrote: »
    Nice call by Obama.
    As we’ve seen a lot that takes place on Wall Street comes from perception as well as real numbers so I think it was a smart move for Obama to ask that the FDIC insurance on our bank accounts get raised to 250K. It gives people confidence in their banks and will ease a little tension there. What would happen if everyone withdrew their money from from their bank out of fear? Talk about a nightmare. He needs to lead on the economy and this is a good step.

“The majority of American families should rest assured that the deposits they have in our banks are safe,” Obama said in a statement put out by his presidential campaign.

“That is why today, I am proposing that we also raise the FDIC limit to $250,000 as part of the economic rescue package - a step that would boost small businesses, make our banking system more secure and help restore public confidence in our financial system.”

The FDIC has joined in:

The chairman of the House Financial Services Committee has told lawmakers that a federal bank regulator will seek authority to increase the deposit insurance limit to a level above its current $100,000, said a source familiar with the chairman’s thinking.

Representative Barney Frank, a Massachusetts Democrat, has told lawmakers of his committee that Sheila Bair, chairman of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, will soon request the authority to boost the level of insured deposits, the source said.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/09/30/obama-wants-to-raise-the-fdic-limit-to-250k/

That's an excellent update to an important protection after the Great Depression.

Meanwhile, Presidential Candidate Ron Paul is probably out there insisting that everyone withdraw all their funds invest all their money in gold. That wouldn't cause a bank collapse at all, nor would it result in a gold bubble.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Alright Palin.

You get one.

I'm surprised. Hasn't she supported creationism elsewhere?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Alright Palin.

You get one.
    Why are you assuming she isn't lying?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Alright Palin.

You get one.

I'm surprised. Hasn't she supported creationism elsewhere?

She talked about teaching "both sides."

Couscous on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/30/eveningnews/main4490618.shtml

May God help us all.

So there's something positive in this interview, right?
    ...Right?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Alright Palin.

You get one.

Huh. I didn't notice that. She isn't that horrible at giving nonanswers as I thought. 2626264247 horrible nonanswers to 1 OK good nonanswer.

Couscous on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cantido wrote: »
    Nice call by Obama.

The FDIC has joined in:

It's more just boosting it to keep up with inflation and such again. It was only at $10k in the 30's, $40k in the 70's and anymore $100k isn't all that much for non-personal accounts. I never really understood why it was so low given that you can just go to another bank and re-up for another $100k that the feds have to be good for anyway. Granted there needs to be some limit just for accounting purposes, but why not boost it up so you can have a single revolving account.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Palin: Oh, I think it should be taught as an accepted principle.

Alright Palin.

You get one.

Huh. I didn't notice that. She isn't that horrible at giving nonanswers as I thought. 2626264247 horrible nonanswers to 1 OK good nonanswer.

Uh, I thought she did answer.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't believe the Democrats can actually pull off a win. The party of self defeat is perpetual.

I'm trying to find reasons to like Palin.

So far, I've gotten up to: 1> She's good looking.

I might make "Not completely nuts about science and evolution" as my number 2.

Sheep on
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Joe Chemo wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time deciding which of those is the most damning. Seriously.

Is it "being gay is a choice"? That won't faze the base, but it might hurt her chances with indies.

Is it that -- Oh wait who am I kidding: SHE CAN'T NAME A NEWSPAPER.

She's certainly more on her ground when she's talking about social issues, though. None of this non-sentence, rambling, verbal diarrhea like we saw with the foreign policy and economic questions.

I think she (meaning her handlers) have made a calculated mistake with the "teach science in science class" answer, though. While I applaud finally finding something upon which I can agree with Palin, I don't think it's going to play well with her evangelical base.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Have we mentioned on of the witnesses in troopergate flipped?

Apparently the head of workers comp in Alaska testified that the Palins never pressured her to refuse Wooten's claims, but one of the other workers provided evidence to the contrary. All of a sudden we've got confirmation from a direct witness to Palin committing illegal actions to punish the brother-in-law.

werehippy on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I was sitting at the dinner table during my friends birthday and he is voting for McCain. There was myself, an Obama supporter, my girlfriend, and two McCain supporters. I asked him what he liked about McCain, but he couldn't answer me. I asked him what he disliked about Obama, he couldn't answer me.

So I bought the Obama supporters Wii and needed to step out to get it at his house later that evening. As we were leaving, the birthday boys mom stops us. The birthday boys parents are polish immigrants.

She asks us, "so who are you boys voting for?"

We both said Obama. I talked about his tax policies, how I like his ability to think logically and make sound judgments based on a broad understanding of a particular topic.

She says, "You do realize what's going to happen if he gets elected, right?"

"Uhh...."

"The blacks and hispanics are going to take over and the whites will disappear."

"UHHHHHH....."

I was so shocked by it that I forgot to mention that I was half Mexican (I look white because my dad's ultimate family line traces back to spain in the 1600s).

God, it made me so upset. Why does it feel like this is a primary reason people are going against Obama? Even my 84 year old grandmother is voting for him.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Your reasoning is built upon lies.

moniker on
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't believe the Democrats can actually pull off a win. The party of self defeat is perpetual.

I'm trying to find reasons to like Palin.

So far, I've gotten up to: 1> She's good looking.

Have you even looked at the news in the last two weeks?

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Alright Palin.

You get one.

What are you talking about? She answered the question clearly. Right in her first sentence.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Palin: Oh, I think it should be taught as an accepted principle.

Alright Palin.

You get one.

Uh, I thought she did answer.
    I guess I don't consider an accepted scientific principle and one of several theories as mutually exclusive.

http://dwb.adn.com/news/politics/elections/story/8347904p-8243554c.html
    Palin was answering a question from the moderator near the conclusion of Wednesday night's televised debate on KAKM Channel 7 when she said, "Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both."

Her main opponents, Democrat Tony Knowles and Independent Andrew Halcro, said such alternatives to evolution should be kept out of science classrooms. Halcro called such lessons "religious-based" and said the place for them might be a philosophy or sociology class.
    This was two years ago. Lolflipflop

Couscous on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Alright Palin.

You get one.

What are you talking about? She answered the question clearly. Right in her first sentence.

Also: "a science teacher, who has recently instilled in me a respect for science"!!!

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Also: "a science teacher, who has recently instilled in me a respect for science"!!!
    Really, not recently.

Edit: I hate the question. Something can be an accepted principle and one of several theories.

Couscous on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh. :(

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Has anyone else been catching these ads saying the bailout is both evil and all Obama's doing?

How much of the McCain campaign's message has been about the other candidate?

Rust on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I wonder why she changed her mind about that. Is the idea that we should teach intelligent design in Science Classes falling out of vogue, or was it never as popular as its supporters made it seem in the first place?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Also, is it true that an ad blaming Obama for the bailout being passed was accidentally aired?

Someone said that happened in the Think Progress link about Pelosi whining being retracted?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I wonder why she changed her mind about that. Is the idea that we should teach intelligent design in Science Classes falling out of vogue, or was it never as popular as its supporters made it seem in the first place?
    Or maybe she's just hoping the religious wackos she's attracting to the tickets won't see or believe the interview.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This is an interesting article, and if it is for real, it definitely shines a new light on McCain.
    As in, moving him from a kind of grinning cartoon villain into a more tragically complex Shakespearean villain.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Where did she oppose teaching ID in science classes? All she said is that yes evolution should be taught in public schools. Any other answer would freak a lot of people the fuck out. And rightly so.

moniker on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was trying to listen through the Couric/Palin interview to find the quote that was paraphrased into something Tina Fey said on SNL and then contrast that to the SNL video, but I just can't listen to the interview. I guess it's for the same reasons that I have trouble watching sitcoms.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    EDIT: Sorry, double post

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Or maybe she's just hoping the religious wackos she's attracting to the tickets won't see or believe the interview.

Let's face it, anybody who sees the interview and comes out still liking her would vote for her if she ate a kitten on TV.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I was trying to listen through the Couric/Palin interview to find the quote that was paraphrased into something Tina Fey said on SNL and then contrast that to the SNL video, but I just can't listen to the interview. I guess it's for the same reasons that I have trouble watching sitcoms.

watch?v=zeMypXCUWMw

moniker on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Srsly guys she gave a fine answer to that question

nexuscrawler on
This discussion has been closed.