Options

The American Presidency: A thread about the presidential elections? Maybe!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Does the other sign in the background have something do do with PIG's, possible with or without lipstick?

Pretty
    Intelligent
    Girls

It's probably a deliberate response to "put lipstick on a pig", because some people don't get the concept of colloqiualisms or idioms.

I wonder if pretty means "attractive" or "somewhat".

The photo is telling me the latter.

Also, Ambinder says the McCain camp is happy with the I read all of them! portion of the Couric interview.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also, Ambinder says the McCain camp is happy with the I read all of them! portion of the Couric interview.
    The McCain camp always lies.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    psychotix wrote: »
    Isn't MENSA one of those groups where the only people who are members are people who are self-absorbed and completely cut off from reality because it has nothing to do with how great they are?

It's the high IQ club

For people who actually bother to test their IQ and then go even further to seek out a club of people with similarly high IQ scores to join.

When I was a kid and I heard about MENSA I thought it would be like, in a musky library with light streaming through the windows and people were sitting around very small tables with tea while reading literature.

Nope.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Does the other sign in the background have something do do with PIG's, possible with or without lipstick?

It says:

Pretty
    Intelligent
    Galls

And then it looks like they maybe turn E=MC2 into something having to do with John McCain because Albert Einstein can suck it.

I think that part just says (VOT)E MCC(AIN)

However that E=MC^2 woulda been quite clever.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    When I was a kid and I heard about MENSA I thought it would be like, in a musky library with light streaming through the windows and people were sitting around very small tables with tea while reading literature.

Nope.
    I say we create one. We'll call it the Elitist Club for Assholes Who Are Better Than You! or ECAWAB! It will have tea. And crumpets. And hookers.

Couscous on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The only MENSA member I've ever met was the administrator of a Christian forum who constantly brought up the fact that he was a member of MENSA whenever anyone shot down his arguments.

Qingu on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Isn't MENSA one of those groups where the only people who are members are people who are self-absorbed and completely cut off from reality because it has nothing to do with how great they are?

I've known two Mensa members in my life.

The second molested horses and wanted to have sex with dolphins.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »

Nope.
    I say we create one. We'll call it the Elitist Club for Assholes Who Are Better Than You! or ECAWAB! It will have tea. And crumpets. And hookers.

You've molested my dream.

Edit: Are you a part of MENSA?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Couscous on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Nope.

I figured it'd be like a meeting prior to tabletop gaming. Only with more upscale cheese poofs and on the first or second floor of the building rather than in the basement.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    What is it with Republicans and inserting random definite articles?
    We have got to get on board with the alternative fuel

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Here goes Bay Buchanan!

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Palin: Thank you.

Couric: A former Bush speechwriter, David Frum, questioned your judgment of putting, quote, "such a neophyte second in line to the presidency."

McCain: Well, David, God bless you and good luck in your speech-writing ambitions (laughter.) And I will ask after … for our inauguration, we'll ask you to write the speech for us.
    McCain: Burning bridges is his hobby.
    Couric: Because, if it's not man-made, then one might wonder, well, how can human beings contribute to a solution?

Palin: Well, human beings certainly are contributing to pollution today. And to some adverse effects on the environment. And it's all of our jobs to do to clean things up. And that's what we're committed to doing.

Couric: So you do believe … that man is contributing to global warming, because you just said they're causing pollution. Of course, pollution causes global warming.

Palin: I believe that there are a lot of causes. And there is one effect. And one is changes in the climate. And there are things that we can do to make sure we're cleaning up the environment. I also formed an integrity office that solely is focused on petroleum, on pipelines, on those things that we do up there in Alaska to contribute to the U.S. domestic supply of energy.

Where we can focus solely on environmental protections. There are a lot of things that I've done there in that arena of environmental protection that have kind of ticked off some in my own party thinking that I went too far. But I've always been of the mind that, you know, we gotta prove that we can do this right. Safely, ethically, environmentally friendly developments, or we're not gonna be allowed to unlock our lands and tap these supplies.

Couric: John McCain proposed legislation calling for mandatory caps on global warming gases or CO2 emissions. Do you agree with that?

Palin: I support his position on that. Absolutely.

Couric: But he somewhat backtracked on the campaign trail saying it wouldn't, they wouldn't, the caps wouldn't be mandatory, they'd be voluntary. So what do you think? Do you think voluntary caps go far enough? Or they should be mandatory?

Palin: He's got a good cap and trade policy that he supports. And details are being hashed out even right now. But, in principle, absolutely, I support all that we can do to reduce emissions and to clean up this planet. And john McCain is right on board with that.

Couric: Voluntary or mandatory in your view?

Palin: We're gonna keep working on how it can be implemented to actually make sense and make a difference.
    D:
    Couric: But if you have a moral problem with abortion, it seems to me you would do everything in your power to make it illegal and overturn Roe v. Wade and …

Palin: Of course, it's the legislature, the law-making branch of our third, of our three branches of government …

Couric: But they …

Palin: …makes the laws.

Couric: …your vision or the administration's vision.

Palin: Well, let's be practical about it and let's be realistic about a vice-president's role in this debate. I can personally share my views, which I don't apologize when I share my views of being pro-life. And, you know, I'll do that all day long if you want me to. But a vice-president does not make law. And a vice-president does not interpret the law either.
    Palin: I WILL DO NOTHING AS VICE PRESIDENT! I mean, it isn't like I can try to get the president to appoint judges who want Roe v. Wad overturned.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    What is it with Republicans and inserting random definite articles?
    We have got to get on board with the alternative fuel

The kids these days, they like the alternative fuels and the rap music.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    what do MENSA members actually do when they get together, anyway? They must do something other then talk about how clever they are. ...right?

Crimson King on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Couric: Should creationism be allowed to be taught anywhere in public schools?

Palin: Don't have a problem at all with kids debating all sides of theories, all sides of ideas that they ever - kids do it today whether … it's on paper, in a curriculum or not. Curriculums also are best left to the local school districts. Instead of Big Brother, federal government telling a district what they can and can't teach, I would like to see more control taken over by our school boards, by our local schools, and then state government at the most. But federal government, you know, kind of get out of some of this curriculum and let the locals decide what is best for their students.
    There you have it. Guess from what level most of the push for ID is coming from?
    Couric: Your church sponsored a conference that claimed to be able to convert gays into heterosexuals through prayer. Do you think that gays can be converted, governor?

Palin: Well, you're absolutely wrong, again, on the facts. My church, I don't have a church, I'm not a member of any church. I get to visit a couple of churches in Alaska when I'm home, including one, Wasilla Bible Church, and that's the one that you're talking about.

Couric: Right. I think James Dobson's group … had a convention or a meeting there. And your church…

Palin: No, I think they …

Couric: …supported it.

Palin: The Wasilla Bible Church had a flyer that was part of a bulletin or something …

Couric: But you know what? That doesn't even matter. Let me just ask you the question.

Palin: Well, it matters, though, because, Katie, when the media gets it wrong, it frustrates Americans who are just trying to get the facts and be able to make up their mind on, about a person's values. So it does matter …

Couric: …you're correcting us.

Palin: But you are talking about, I think, a value here, what my position is on homosexuality and can you pray it away 'cause I think that was the title that was listed in that bulletin. And, you know, I don't know what prayers are worthy of being prayed. And I don't know what prayers are gonna be answered or not answered. But as for homosexuality, I am not going to judge Americans and the decisions that they make in their adult personal relationships.

I have, one of my absolute best friends for the last 30 years who happens to be gay. And I love her dearly. And she is not my "gay friend." She is one of my best friends who happens to have made a choice that isn't a choice that I have made. But I am not gonna judge people. And I love America where we are more tolerant than other countries are. And are more accepting of some of these choices that sometimes people want to believe reflects solely on an individual's values or not. Homosexuality, I am not gonna judge people.

Couric: You know, one thing that the press, and I appreciate your correcting that. And I'm gonna have to go back and see the (unintelligible) for that, that your church was …

Palin: I wish I had

Couric: …sponsored it.

Palin: …time and the consistency to be a more regular attendee of a church but, no, have not.
    Stupid moron.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    olol I'm watching Bay Buchanan spin the newspaper thing. Carville's trying not to laugh.

Man, there is something fundamentally wrong when a news show's idea of journalism is to interview people who are PAID TO PARROT A PARTY LINE.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    what do MENSA members actually do when they get together, anyway? They must do something other then talk about how clever they are. ...right?

They don't do anything special except maybe sometimes they will do little math puzzles or something instead of playing Halo.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Joe Chemo wrote: »
    olol I'm watching Bay Buchanan spin the newspaper thing. Carville's trying not to laugh.

Man, there is something fundamentally wrong when a news show's idea of journalism is to interview people who are PAID TO PARROT A PARTY LINE.

YOU DON'T THROW FACTS AND FIGURES AT PEOPLE.

BUT THEY'RE FILLING PALIN FULL OF FACTS OF FIGURES.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Reading more, I think a significant part of her problem is that where McCain stands on issues is so irrational in its own right that sometimes she takes the rational position (the Pakistan thing being an example) and she ends up being wrong. Now this is only like 30% of her problem, but still.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Especially when ideologues are so much more fun.

In seriousness, though, why don't cable shows pay sane people to comment on the news of the day? They are out there on most philosophical spectrums, it's just a matter of finding them.

moniker on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Don't gays get angry when you call it a choice?

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

WHO HAS BARACK OBAMA TAKEN ON IN HIS OWN PARTY? NAME ME ONE!

Hillary Clinton?

GAHOIAHGOAHGI!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Reading more, I think a significant part of her problem is that where McCain stands on issues is so irrational in its own right that sometimes she takes the rational position (the Pakistan thing being an example) and she ends up being wrong. Now this is only like 30% of her problem, but still.

It's hard for her since he's such a maverick.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Especially when ideologues are so much more fun.

In seriousness, though, why don't cable shows pay sane people to comment on the news of the day? They are out there on most philosophical spectrums, it's just a matter of finding them.

Alternately: why isn't Matthew Yglesias on TV all the damn time.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I think they have like sub-clubs. I used to picture like a debate society until I looked it up on the tubes

But its mostly meaningless pompousness. They put out puzzle/riddle books too I know.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Scooter wrote: »

Depends on the person, in my experience. (No, I have not been the person saying that being gay is a choice.) Some just wince (as when a friend says something mildly offensive and embarrassing but didn't mean to), some get angry (as when someone they already don't like uses a very offensive term and doesn't see anything wrong with it), and we have pretty much every reaction in between.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    In the on-going series of Cafferty Files that utter devastate Palin (the first of which is in my sig), I bring you
    The last 30 seconds the verb "eviscerate" comes to mind.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Personally I just want to ask the person when they chose to enjoy/not enjoy sucking cock. Since they obviously must have made that decision at some point in their life and are sticking with it.

moniker on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couric: Should creationism be allowed to be taught anywhere in public schools?

Palin: Don't have a problem at all with kids debating all sides of theories, all sides of ideas that they ever - kids do it today whether … it's on paper, in a curriculum or not. Curriculums also are best left to the local school districts. Instead of Big Brother, federal government telling a district what they can and can't teach, I would like to see more control taken over by our school boards, by our local schools, and then state government at the most. But federal government, you know, kind of get out of some of this curriculum and let the locals decide what is best for their students.

Qingu on
  • Options
    duallainduallain Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yes, people get angry when you insinuate that your sexuality is a choice, particularly when you're using that line of reasoning to deny them legal protection for their relationships, etc.

duallain on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    Well, in any case, I think this was just thrown up on the front of CNN, so have it, ladies and gents.
    The revised bailout bill also includes a "Mental Health Parity" provision, which would require health insurance companies to cover mental illness at parity with physical illness.

Man, what? What the hell does that have to do with the bailout?

12 votes is what.

I am probably COMPLETELY WRONG about this, but I think I heard something like the senate can't introduce tax bills and so had to frame it as something else?

Someone who knows what they are talking about please correct this.

edit: haha wow I am way off I think. Disregard all of this.
    That's true, though. When this is done, we're going to be able to put this Christmas tree of a bill in Rockafeller Center.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I like how she says that she isn't going to judge them. YOU HAVE TO JUDGE THEM YOU FUCKING MORON! Unless you plan to somehow avoid the issue completely, what you do when it come to gay people is going to depend on how you judge them.

Couscous on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yeah, it was subtle but she definitely implied it was a choice in there.

I was playing a fun game reading the transcript...I call it "spot the talking point." Basically you just try and find the specific tidbits that her handlers tried to get her to memorize based on (mostly) verbatim repetition.

After a quick skim of the parts I hadn't seen before, I noticed "boon to trial lawyers" regarding the Ledbetter Act.

And yes, all candidates fall back on talking points every now and then. But few as often or as obviously as she does. For instance, I could probably find a dozen talking points that Obama brings up often in his speeches or interviews. But you won't find many that he repeats verbatim twice in response to the same question.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Hillary Clinton?

GAHOIAHGOAHGI!
    Did this actually happen?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    People complain about Obama using ums, but he at least usually says something reasonably intelligent after those ums. Palin follows ums with fecal matter.

Couscous on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »

Is the video of it up anywhere?

I'm in the mood to heckle something.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I mostly find it funny that she recites how government works like she was just watching Schoolhouse Rock.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Quid wrote: »

Hillary Clinton?

GAHOIAHGOAHGI!
    Did this actually happen?

Yes. Bay said that Palin was born to lead and has gone up against people in her own party and then demanded that Carville name one Democrat that Obama has gone up against and won against.

Yeah...

Also, CNN just had a segment on the island of Diomede, which is between Alaska and Russia.

And I think someone just referred to Palin as the CEO of the state...

Sarksus on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just saw the Diomede bit. Doubt anything from that would hurt her though. Every state has shit holes.

Quid on
This discussion has been closed.