As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The American Presidency: A thread about the presidential elections? Maybe!

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I wonder if she's been coached to cry.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    One strategy I didnt hear anyone mention was that Palin going on the attack in the VP Debate might force a Biden gaffe.

I've never put much trust in the "Hope the other guy screws up" strategy.
    Well, for Biden it seems somewhat viable.

People hoping for a Sarah success might then just opt not to vote at all. It's Biden's responsibility to demonstrate his own competence and electability regardless of the performance of his opponent.

In fact, I argue that that is how entire campaigns should be run, always, but most politicians seem to disagree.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I wonder if she's been coached to cry.

After what happened to Hillary, I doubt any strategist would expect something like that to work in her favor.

And yeah, we probably should stop talking about this, cuz it ain't going to happen.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    One strategy I didnt hear anyone mention was that Palin going on the attack in the VP Debate might force a Biden gaffe.

It could, it could almost make her look shrill and inexperienced. Wait she already does shit.

I guess I don't see the benefit of criticizing Biden on foreign policy.

I picture this happening to her if she lets Biden start talking about foreign policy:

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Billo claims that he is proof that God exists.

Seriously folks, I could not, in a million years, make this shit up.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    CBS wrote:
    Couric: Which previous Vice President impresses you the most, and why?
    Palin: It would have to be a VP candidate, Geraldine Ferraro. That's an easy one for me. Because she's the one who first kind of shattered that glass ceiling...George Bush, Sr., [as for an actual Vice President.]

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Such a deficient set of genes could come into existence only by the divine thwarting of natural selection

Elendil on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    CBS wrote:
    Palin: It would have to be a VP candidate, Geraldine Ferraro. That's an easy one for me. Because she's the one who first kind of shattered that glass ceiling...George Bush, Sr., [as for an actual Vice President.]

Wasn't she almost purely there because of tokenism?

Couscous on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For a minute I thought the thread title said "Presidential Erections"

*insert Bill Clinton joke*

I doubt I'm the only one

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    CBS wrote:
    Couric: What do you think is the best and worst thing that Dick Cheney has done as Vice President?

Palin: Worst thing I guess would have been the duck hunting accident...The best thing though; he as he has shown the support, along with George W. Bush, of our troops.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Elendil wrote: »

Such a deficient set of genes could come into existence only by the divine thwarting of natural selection

What he's saying isn't that bad. In fact, Kevin Smith made the exact same comment. Maybe Bill O'Reilly takes his faith in this matter a little more seriously, there's no reason to be so up in arms.

I can't stand the guy either, but let's address his substance, and address it fairly.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    CBS wrote:
    "Almost" is being pretty generous.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    She picked Bush over Truman? Really?

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    CBS wrote:

I don't know about that, but what I've read about her effect on the ticket is eerily similar to what's happening now. Ferraro initially gave Mondale a huge boost in the polls, but when scandals started breaking about questionable tax filings, she became a drag on the ticket, and the result was this:
    e1984_ecmap.GIF

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Obama's campaign called me this evening to ask if I'd like to volunteer. I work every day... I'm going to miss Sebelius speaking near me Sunday. I'm going to try to do some stuff on weekend evenings, though.

Organichu on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Archgarth wrote: »
    Gah!!! I'm prepping for my LSAT today, which takes place on Saturday morning.

I want to watch the VP debate, but I'm worried too much exposure to Palin will fry the logic centers of my brain.

Most helpful tip for taking the LSAT: Fill in the bubbles from the inside out. This applies to all scantrons, actually.

Right now, I'm wondering how the credit crisis will affect the student loan industry. Law school is $$$.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Are you a Budget Hero?

(I know, it's probably been posted. Still fun.)

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Holy shit.

Someone in the background during the Hardball opener was holding a sign that said " BUSH CHENEY 1984 "

Awesome.

haha

There's also someone behind Matthews holding a "Mc FAIL in" sign.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My father has always been a die-hard republican. If your name had an "R" by it you could always count on his vote.

This election I've been treated to many e-mails forwarded by him talking about how Obama is a muslim, a poor leader, hates babies, and is possibly the Antichrist. None of them last longer than an initial glancing before going to the trash bin...except for this last one.

Top 10 Predictions No Matter Who Wins the Election

1. The Bible will still have all the answers.
    2. Prayer will still work.
    3. The Holy Spirit will still move.
    4. God will still inhabit the praises of His people.
    5. There will still be God-anointed preaching.
    6. There will still be singing of praise to God.
    7. God will still pour out blessings upon His people.
    8. There will still be room at the Cross.
    9. Jesus will still love you.
    10. Jesus will still save the lost when they come to Him.

ISN'T IT GREAT TO KNOW WHO IS REALLY IN CONTROL?!!

This one made me smile. Not because of some reassurance that a higher power is watching over us but because to me this translates to an entire group of hyper religious conservatives throwing up their hands and yelling "Fuck it" in defeat.

Vray on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    CBS wrote:

I don't know about that, but what I've read about her effect on the ticket is eerily similar to what's happening now. Ferraro initially gave Mondale a huge boost in the polls, but when scandals started breaking about questionable tax filings, she became a drag on the ticket, and the result was this:
    e1984_ecmap.GIF

Well, Mondale was also facing an Incumbent Reagan.

Seriously man, Reagan was a new species of politician.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I want to watch the VP debate, but I'm worried too much exposure to Palin will fry the logic centers of my brain.

Most helpful tip for taking the LSAT: Fill in the bubbles from the inside out. This applies to all scantrons, actually.

Right now, I'm wondering how the credit crisis will affect the student loan industry. Law school is $$$.

The most recent edition of The Chronicle of Higher Education has a long article about how the credit crisis is causing the student loan industry to dry up. I just glanced at it, but the upshot seems to be that students at large schools that have their own loan programs will probably be fine; students at small/little-known schools who tend to rely on private loans might have serious difficulties finding money.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Optimus = Obama Apparently :)

2884319091_9d906d345b.jpg

lsukalel on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    CBS wrote:

e1984_ecmap.GIF[img][/img]

Well, Mondale was also facing an Incumbent Reagan.

Seriously man, Reagan was a new species of politician.

Yeah, this year isn't like 1984 because Obama hasn't had a 15-point lead on McCain since March.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

The most recent edition of The Chronicle of Higher Education has a long article about how the credit crisis is causing the student loan industry to dry up. I just glanced at it, but the upshot seems to be that students at large schools that have their own loan programs will probably be fine; students at small/little-known schools who tend to rely on private loans might have serious difficulties finding money.

Everything I touch turns to crap when I'm done with it.

I pass middle school, school gets demolished.

I finish High School, it turns out the administration was smuggling government funds, school gets shut down.

I graduate College, the entire student loan system collapses.

Seriously, I'm like Midas, only not similar in any way.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Everything I touch turns to crap when I'm done with it.

I pass middle school, school gets demolished.

I finish High School, it turns out the administration was smuggling government funds, school gets shut down.

I graduate College, the entire student loan system collapses.

Seriously, I'm like Midas, only not similar in any way.

Everything you touch turns to fool's gold?

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

"Next time you meet an atheist, tell him or her that you know a bold, fresh guy, a barbarian who was raised in a working-class home and retains the lessons he learned there.

"Then mention to that atheist that this guy is now watched and listened to, on a daily basis, by millions of people all over the world and, to boot, sells millions of books."

I thought he was talking about Hitler.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :p

Bewildered_Ronin on
    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If I can't make it home before 9, what's a good radio station to try and find the debate on? Does NPR usually broadcast them?

Taximes on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Taximes wrote: »
    If I can't make it home before 9, what's a good radio station to try and find the debate on? Does NPR usually broadcast them?

I would be amazed if they did not.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Air America was broadcasting the presidential debate last week.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    reminderGTOreminderGTO Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yup. NPR does broadcast the debates and so do many AM stations (although you might hear shitty commentary)

reminderGTO on
    28qsde.gifZOGBY projects McCain win with 400+ EVs28qsde.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    CBS wrote:
    Couric: What do you think is the best and worst thing that Dick Cheney has done as Vice President?

Palin: Worst thing I guess would have been the duck hunting accident...The best thing though; he as he has shown the support, along with George W. Bush, of our troops.

Really? That's the best she could come up with!? I would think supporting the troops would kind of be a given considering he and the President sent them to war. I mean, were people expecting him to NOT support the troops?

"Sorry we sent you to war over false pretenses, son. Actually, I don't care. Go get fucked. Uncle Dick's got some lawyers and quail to shoot."

Bewildered_Ronin on
    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I'm set to spend about $600 this month on dental work...

despite still being covered under my dad's amazing insurance.

Jesus H Christ.

MrMister on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The vast majority of dental insurance is PPO-style. Anything more difficult than a cleaning or 2/year X-rays is on percentage.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Yup. NPR does broadcast the debates and so do many AM stations (although you might hear shitty commentary)

In my experience, the talk AM stations don't usually have commentary, though every station is different. (they might try to "spice it up", though) If you're extremely unlucky, you might catch Michael Savage commenting on the debates. That's a real treat/nightmare.

Bewildered_Ronin on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    CBS wrote:

That's not the answer the right wants to hear. They hated Ferraro and everything she stood for.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    The vast majority of dental insurance is PPO-style. Anything more difficult than a cleaning or 2/year X-rays is on percentage.

Yeah. For instance, I only have to pay half price for my mouth guard! Oh, wait, that's half of $450. Who's the sucker now?

Basically, I am bitching about paying money and want them to bring on the socialism already.

MrMister on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    lsukalel wrote: »
    Optimus = Obama Apparently :)

AWESOME

Actually, using the crawl, I'd say Optimus would be a better fit as Clinton. He was already in charge. Ultra Magnus never really caught on; then Elita-1 tried but never got to the big chair; before the Chosen One, a young, fearless man, came to rescue us in our darkest our.

That's right: Failimus Prime is Obama. D: I hate when I overthink metaphors and ruin them.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Voth wrote: »
    CBS wrote:

That's not the answer the right wants to hear. They hated Ferraro and everything she stood for.

What did she stand for, besides generic liberal stuff?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    CBS wrote:

What did she stand for, besides generic liberal stuff?

Does there need to be anything else to raise the Right's ire?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You know, she was supposed to help McCain get the religious right vote. But between this, her pro-evolution and pro-safe-sex education answers, the fact she's a woman, and with a month still to go, I'm starting to believe she might even fail at that simple task.

Richy on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.