As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Islamic Shock's 30 minutes of fame

124»

• Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »
    I know it's basically impossible and wishful thinking, but could the situation the GOP has been in more or less since Nixon (with the exception of the Reagan years though there was shit going on there too) lead to a real split and a third party? Aren't there economic conservatives that are tired of being strapped to abortion and unqualified idiots?

No. The way that our electoral system is setup (even if you were to abolish the Electoral College) essentially forces us to be a 2 party system founded on broad based coalitions. This may well lead to what occurred over the course of Nixon-Reagan which is a great sorting out. Changing the regional and philosophical electoral support mechanisms and reliability.

Didn't they always rely on the bigoted, hypernationalistic tut-tut vote though?

edit- by always i mean the past 50 years or so

It just seems that the Republican Base that is trying to shake up the party (The same base that brought it to where it is to begin with) we're almost looking at a pathologically antisocial subculture.

Sam on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »
    It's pretty irrelevant, as it's not really what I'm talking about

Obama sometimes doesn't seem human because he's so awesome. I want to see his "real" "human" side that shows his flaws but still concludes that yeah, he's pretty awesome.

Well, considering he's likely to be the first black president you're bound to see some documentaries on both the man and likely the campaign as well. Might take a couple/few years, though. But you'll probably see both more of them and see them sooner because of this.

I'm expecting an Oscar-laden biopic at some point. Possibly starring Jamie Foxx. Called "Hussein."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Yes, its much nicer to have it all splashed all over the internet. The anti-Republican thread titles and rants are so polite and well mannered
    What does that have to do with the candidates' behavior? We aren't expecting people not to be douchebags. We are just expecting the candidates not to encourage it.

Libel is just as damaging as slander, and the last I checked those sites were supported by their party, so if a candidate is their party, then could it not be said that a parties actions should be refuted by a candidate if they don't condone them?

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wulf wrote: »
    Yes, its much nicer to have it all splashed all over the internet. The anti-Republican thread titles and rants are so polite and well mannered
    What does that have to do with the candidates' behavior? We aren't expecting people not to be douchebags. We are just expecting the candidates not to encourage it.

Libel is just as damaging as slander, and the last I checked those sites were supported by their party, so if a candidate is their party, then could it not be said that a parties actions should be refuted by a candidate if they don't condone them?
    Citation? Where are you seeing this that is on an "official" site?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sam wrote: »
    I know it's basically impossible and wishful thinking, but could the situation the GOP has been in more or less since Nixon (with the exception of the Reagan years though there was shit going on there too) but arguably culminating now lead to a real split and a third party? Aren't there economic conservatives that are tired of being strapped to abortion, denying civil rights and having to settle for advising unqualified idiots?

I'm going with the view that they'll think they weren't crazy enough and go more for Huckabee/Palin in 2012. When (I hope not 'if') that gets shut down and they figure out religious fundamentalism has a limited broadbase appeal they'll have to come up with something different.

It won't be a 3rd party though.

Scooter on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008

It's the difference between a candidate saying something and a few assholes on a public blog saying something. Saying that Obama is culpable for the comments of some random dipshit at the Daily Kos is patently stupid. Meanwhile, people at McCain rallies are loudly shouting reprehensible shit without repercussion. People are saying "Obama's a Muslim!" and McCain is lamely responding with "No, he's not an Arab, he's a decent family man." At the same time, when people at Obama's rallies boo or make disparaging comments against McCain, Obama tells them that's not cool.

Are you honestly trying to draw a parallel here? Because if you are, that's sort of retarded.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

It's the difference between a candidate saying something and a few assholes on a public blog saying something. Saying that Obama is culpable for the comments of some random dipshit at the Daily Kos is patently stupid. Meanwhile, people at McCain rallies are loudly shouting reprehensible shit without repercussion. People are saying "Obama's a Muslim!" and McCain is lamely responding with "No, he's not an Arab, he's a decent family man." At the same time, when people at Obama's rallies boo or make disparaging comments against McCain, Obama tells them that's not cool.

Are you honestly trying to draw a parallel here? Because if you are, that's sort of retarded.
    Nah, not really trying to draw parallels as much as just saying that if both candidates are telling people to stop doing that, albeit in different ways, that one shouldn't be held to a higher standard to another. Both are dis-agreeing with the unruly mob. The whole online bent just popped into my head as another one of those irritating moveon.org things popped up on my computer like some sort of pox D:

There are assholes on either side. Just tired of them shitting all over everything. Hell I would love to have an election year go by without any of that bullcrap. Would make my year!

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!