edited November 2008
    please just be quiet

bongi on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »
    Here is the biggest question I have, Viv dear.

Why is it that you are so offended by people associating some damn tasty food that is often made by Chinese people under the label as Chinese food with the Chinese people?

It is the stupidest thing to be offended about.

"IF YOU UNDERSTOOD REAL CHINESE FOOD YOU'D REALIZE YOU'D HATE IT STOP LOVING MY PEOPLE FAGGOT JEWS"
    what surprises me is how so many of you will get all "RRAAAWWWRRR THAT IS NOT A REAL FUCKING CHEESETEAK/BBQ/HAMBURGER/PIZZA!!1!1"

people in here pull that shit all the time about how pizza made in their home town is the only real pizza and people on the west coast can't make decent pizza to save their life blah blah blah

but Viv correctly points out that american-chinese cuisine is very different from the wide ranging cuisine throughout china and you guys think she's just being a defensive bitch

Those people are also being retarded

Khavall on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fallout wrote: »
    Fallout what is wrong with you

fuck you!

why aren't you banned yet

c'mere, lemme rub my nuts in your face

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I love the bastardized version of chinese and japanese food they have in Hawaii.
    That is some good shit right there.

Rinder on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Raneados wrote: »
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    apparently real chinese food means gross as hell

we're not the ones that decided it

I've been told by restaurant owners over in the US that their menus just don't generate a lot of business for them

so why bother running a traditional Chinese menu up front if it's just going to make people leave

I ain't saying Chinese food is gross, I never fucking said that

I'm saying that Chinese food is unfamiliar as fuck to people who don't know what it really is

and from what I have seen, "unfamiliar" apparently means "gross"

viv I have eaten some rancid and horrible things in my time

including fish heads which were difuckgusting

is it unreasonable to believe that a fish head would be gross? No.

I've also eaten cow brain which was pretty good

is it unreasonable to believe that cow brains would be gross? Also no

people believe what they want about whatever food they want depending on how they were raised etc

if someone asked me if cow brains were gross
    I would still say yes

yeah and I'm not judging them for thinking that certain dishes are "gross"

I'm just saying that that's how it is

so if "real" Chinese food isn't going to make any business because the local populace thinks it's "gross"

then why the fuck would they sell it up front?

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Why is it that you are so offended by people associating some damn tasty food that is often made by Chinese people under the label as Chinese food with the Chinese people?

"IF YOU UNDERSTOOD REAL CHINESE FOOD YOU'D REALIZE YOU'D HATE IT STOP LOVING MY PEOPLE FAGGOT JEWS"
    what surprises me is how so many of you will get all "RRAAAWWWRRR THAT IS NOT A REAL FUCKING CHEESETEAK/BBQ/HAMBURGER/PIZZA!!1!1"

people in here pull that shit all the time about how pizza made in their home town is the only real pizza and people on the west coast can't make decent pizza to save their life blah blah blah

but Viv correctly points out that american-chinese cuisine is very different from the wide ranging cuisine throughout china and you guys think she's just being a defensive bitch

So you'll admit we're in the right when we defend our cheesesteaks? Because I am going to take this and ride it out as my banner.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Koshian wrote: »

american chinese and authentic chinese food is basically analogous to taco bell and authenic mexican food
    No not really.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »
    viv stop digging yourself into a catch 22

so

you're pissed that people don't know that "chinese food" is not actually chinese food, because they haven't been exposed to real chinese food

but then say that people will hate real chinese food anyway

so what the fuck do you want?

oh. my. fucking. god.

*I* am not saying that people will hate Chinese food, I am telling you why Chinese restaurants in the States tend to keep their traditional menus on the DL - it is because your average AMERICAN sees that shit and won't fucking eat it because it is not something that is familiar to them

I do not EXPECT people to know what real Chinese food is like, nor do I expect them to like or dislike it

I am saying that Chinese food is not American Chinese food and to try to make a comparison when you very likely have no fucking clue what Chinese food really is (or for that matter, what EITHER of them are) is ASININE
    viv i live in a city with a huge asian population

yes i fucking know what chinese food really is

which is probably coloring my judgment of the situation since it's fairly readily available to me

Faricazy on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This one time I ate a turkey heart and it looked like a penis and I thought I was being fed a penis

I'm still suspicious

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

so

you're pissed that people don't know that "chinese food" is not actually chinese food, because they haven't been exposed to real chinese food

don't forget that chinese food is such a broad term that it can include almost anything

but not if it's made in america

you yourself made the distinction between "traditional" or "authentic" Chinese food and American Chinese food, by the way

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    BecksBecks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    guys

relax

viv is cute

Becks on
    content-warning.gifaa2monkeyline9hk.gif23tsbpk.gifquote1.gif
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    nobody believe panda express is "chinese" food

duh

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    American Chinese diverged from traditional chinese because HEY WOW WHAT A CONCEPT there are different things grown and eaten here that aren't in China.

Comparing that to "taco bell" and "real mexican" is just ignorant.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Becks wrote: »
    guys

relax

viv is cute

Oh

Oh shit.

Hey Viv tell me about food or something.

Khavall on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    protip: just because they serve your mother's cooking on Fear Factor doesn't mean it's good

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

so

don't forget that chinese food is such a broad term that it can include almost anything

you yourself made the distinction between "traditional" or "authentic" Chinese food and American Chinese food, by the way

cite plz

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    nobody believe panda express is "chinese" food

duh

I knew pandas couldn't be trusted.

After dark, the pandas stalk,
    Nightmare creatures, with black hearts.
    Ravenous teeth that glow in the dark,
    Feasting on bums that sleep in the park!

The pandas are coming!
    So hide under your beds!
    The pandas are coming!
    They'll rip your ass to shreds!

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    one time at dim sum (family style place, ladies going around with carts) a white dude at a table next to us ordered pork fried rice

i was all, really?

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

so

oh. my. fucking. god.

*I* am not saying that people will hate Chinese food, I am telling you why Chinese restaurants in the States tend to keep their traditional menus on the DL - it is because your average AMERICAN sees that shit and won't fucking eat it because it is not something that is familiar to them

I do not EXPECT people to know what real Chinese food is like, nor do I expect them to like or dislike it

I am saying that Chinese food is not American Chinese food and to try to make a comparison when you very likely have no fucking clue what Chinese food really is (or for that matter, what EITHER of them are) is ASININE

which is probably coloring my judgment of the situation since it's fairly readily available to me

I'm not talking about you SPECIFICALLY, I am explaining that this, in general, is the reason why Chinese restaurants tend to serve food that is catered for the local popular (i.e., "American Chinese food"). It's a business thing.

and on a slight tangent let me ask you this

you said you've had "yum cha" (which is GRATING to me when people call it that but whatever that's a language thing), which is a primarily Cantonese thing

which means you've had the steamed things in the bamboo baskets, right?

have you ever had that dish where you had a whole fish tossed into a giant pot of boiled oil that is layered throughout with Sichuan peppers? it's usually served in this massive fucking bowl that takes up most of the lazy susan and it's spicy as FUCK

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    damn whities

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    yo quiero taco bell

Becks on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    t fallout your sig is too big

stare.png

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    heh heh "yo queero"

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It's not just a business thing at all.

For instance, the tomato. There are a couple American Chinese dishes that use tomatoes. This is different than traditional Chinese cuisine because THEY DIDN'T HAVE TOMATOES

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    t fallout where did you get that picture of you

Becks on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited November 2008
    i wish i could get away with being that snappy when people say british food is shitty

bongi on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

have you ever had that dish where you had a whole fish tossed into a giant pot of boiled oil that is layered throughout with Sichuan peppers? it's usually served in this massive fucking bowl that takes up most of the lazy susan and it's spicy as FUCK
    well i go there literally for yum cha; sunday morning, so we only have a bunch of dim sum

but that sounds pretty fucking delicious

i'll ask around

Faricazy on
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    this thread sucks and is full of broken hearts and stolen dreams

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    t fallout yo queero

t fallout sup

Becks on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As a man who considers himself a realist, I have to say I'm pro-death penalty for repeat offenders of severe crimes. We don't live in a perfect system, and it's a shame we don't, but we don't have a lot of choice. Prisons are overcrowded as it is, and we sure can't let serial murderers or rapists go free. The burden of keeping those people alive shouldn't fall to the innocent. I don't see there being much choice.

But wait, is this not a serious discussion on the topic? In that case, people who tailgate me on the interstate when I'm going 5 over the speed limit in heavy rain with low visibility.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

so

cite plz
    people who think that actual chinese food is better than americanized chinese food

protip, fu manchu-san: stir-fried cockroaches aren't an improvement on orange chicken

I took that to mean you were the one making the distinguishment between the two

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fallout's sig is huge like xbox

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    bongi wrote: »
    i wish i could get away with being that snappy when people say british food is shitty

A Full English Breakfast is pretty damn good.

Rinder on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

so

oh. my. fucking. god.

I'm not talking about you SPECIFICALLY, I am explaining that this, in general, is the reason why Chinese restaurants tend to serve food that is catered for the local popular (i.e., "American Chinese food"). It's a business thing.

and on a slight tangent let me ask you this

you said you've had "yum cha" (which is GRATING to me when people call it that but whatever that's a language thing), which is a primarily Cantonese thing

which means you've had the steamed things in the bamboo baskets, right?

what happens if we say yes, cuz I was at this chinese wedding not too long ago and...

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    t fallout yo queero

t fallout sup

nm makin posts

u?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited November 2008
    Rinder wrote: »

british food is mostly actually shitty

bongi on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

well i was there literally for yum cha; sunday morning, so we only had a bunch of dim sum

but that sounds pretty fucking delicious

i'll ask around

it is a Sichuan dish

Cantonese food is usually what's popular in the US, but you HAVE to also try to find Sichuan, Teochow, Xinjiang, Northeastern, Hokkien, and (Chinese) Muslim food.

Fucking GREAT, all of it, though I'm partial to Northeastern food myself.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

so

cite plz
    people who think that actual chinese food is better than americanized chinese food

protip, fu manchu-san: stir-fried cockroaches aren't an improvement on orange chicken

I took that to mean you were the one making the distinguishment between the two

i was under the assumption that your "americanized chinese food sucks and isn't real chinese food" stance was the main thing seperating the two, here

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008

So you'll admit we're in the right when we defend our cheesesteaks? Because I am going to take this and ride it out as my banner.
    I'm saying that you're being much more pedantic than viv when you bitch and moan about people not putting cheez whiz on their cheesesteaks because that difference is so minor compared to the difference between americanized chinese and real chinese food

the reality is that most restaurants in the states that serve ethnic food have made significant changes to the seasonings and other ingredients to suit american tastes so they can actually be a successful business

odds are that thai restaurant down the street isn't serving authentic thai and if you order the same dish in thailand it will probably taste quite different or they won't know what the fuck you're talking about

you see the same thing when you travel to other countries and order something you're used to in the states, and they use different ingredients and you're all what the fuck this is a shitty burger

so y'all are being retarded acting like viv is talking out of her ass

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Rinder wrote: »

An Irish Breakfast is so much better.

The Otaku Suppository on