Options

Magic: the Gathering (now with 200% more OP)

• Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just pulled a Reaper King, and I'd love to do a Scarecrow deck with Etherium Sculptors, but I don't know how viable it would really be.

Anyone tried this already?

cytorak on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    well reaper king is pretty terrible any way you look at it

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The best part about playing Esper (at least on MTGO) is that I don't think most people realize what Sharding Sphinx's ability actually does.

cytorak on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What is so cryptic about it?

And I think I'm going to run a Artifact deck with Legacy Weapon, Scarecrone, Composite Golem, and Thornbite Staff as my main combo with a bunch of artifact buffers, Master of Etherium, Tower Gargoyle, Etherium Sculpture, and then run a lot of control.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Stragint wrote: »

And I think I'm going to run a Artifact deck with Legacy Weapon, Scarecrone, Composite Golem, and Thornbite Staff as my main combo with a bunch of artifact buffers, Master of Etherium, Tower Gargoyle, Etherium Sculpture, and then run a lot of control.

It's not that it's cryptic; they just fail to block piddly artifact creatures, and they suddenly face a swarm of flying tokens.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    cytorak wrote: »

It's not that it's cryptic; they just fail to block piddly artifact creatures, and they suddenly face a swarm of flying tokens.

Lol oh. I want to goof around with March of the Machines, Sharding Sphinx, and Goblin Assault or Bitterblossom.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Shit. I over looked one very important part of March of the Machines. The cards converted mana cost becomes their attack/defense. So Bitterblossom and Goblin Assault tokens would just die. Well theres at least an effective defense against Faerie decks running Bitterblossom. Maybe run a Blue/Green deck with Gleeful Sabotage to mass destroy artifacts.

Stragint on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    the other part is that it needs to be an artifact

bitterblossom tokens aren't artifacts, not without cards such as Mycosynth Lattice anyway

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yea, that too.

Stragint on

• Options
    WarWolf95WarWolf95 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lots of good artifacts. Of course there are the esper artifacts, but there are still some good regular colorless ones. Fun combo: oedipus spike (got two) with a black/blue unblockable shadowmoor deck--you're hitting your opponent for half his life every turn. Invincible hymn is pretty good if you're an idiot like me with a deck as large as all the a song of ice and fire books, as it makes your life total equal to the number of cards in your deck. (Not an enchantment--sorcery.) cards with good "when it leaves play" effects are good with devour; a deathrender can be used to get out any creature in your hand without paying its mana cost by turn five. (deathrender lets you play a card from your hand and attach deathrender to it when the creature deathrender was previously attached to goes to the graveyard.)
    Lich's mirror actually isn't that good--you start from scratch against an enemy who probably has a ton of mana and some good creatures out. I could see it working well with a "scorched-earth" strategy, though.

WarWolf95 on
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    bitterblossom tokens aren't artifacts, not without cards such as Mycosynth Lattice anyway

So really, he just needs to use Mycosynth Lattice instead of MotM.

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm so bored of my decks right now. I have a dragonish deck, token devour, exalted, gargantuan, and RDW deck right now and I don't feel like playing any of them. I need to increase my collection of cards. I was thinking of running a Panda control deck since I hardly play control. I'm trying to make a green/black aggro deck in the mean time while I try to find the cards I need for my panda deck. I need more variety in cards.

Stragint on

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    WarWolf95 wrote: »
    oedipus spike

Hah, that puts a whole new level of meaning to the card.

It won't just kill you, it'll make you kill your dad, and let's not even talk about what happens to your mom.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    WarWolf95WarWolf95 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Tarantio wrote: »
    WarWolf95 wrote: »
    oedipus spike

Hah, that puts a whole new level of meaning to the card.

It won't just kill you, it'll make you kill your dad, and let's not even talk about what happens to your mom.

I guess the holographic was getting in the way of my eyesight. :lol:
    And yes, I am familiar with the myth with which you were referring to. *Radio jingle* Incest in the morning, QDR!

WarWolf95 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So would Raking Canopy be worth putting in my deck as a side deck card? I figure it would be a nifty defense against faeries or a mainly flying deck.

Stragint on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    raking canopy isn't terribly good

Card129885.jpg is much better

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Raking canopy stays in the game and shuts down all the faerie attackers. Hurricane just wipes them out once; while I agree that Hurricane is generally the better card (since it doubles as a win condition or at least a tie condition), raking canopy could have its place in a deck. Give it a shot as sideboard, why not?

Darian on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I might use that if I had any but I don't. So in that case, Raking Canopy is a good side deck then?

Stragint on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    It certainly shuts down any damage from faeries, so I'd say it's good side board tech if you think you'll see lots of faeries.

Problem is, it doesn't help you actually beat the faeries; you still need to be able to kill them somehow, despite the horde of 1/1 chump blockers they are building up.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well, I'm running a Black/Green deck with a clear combo using Odious Trow and Gift of the Deity. Attack with the Trow, force my opponent to block, kill everything, regenerate and that pretty much takes care of the field.

Stragint on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    the problem is that's a 5-mana Aura. by the time you reach 5 mana, the faeries will probably have control.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Raking canopy is only 3 mana: 1GG.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    no, Gift of the Deity.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I need some big hitters in this deck. I'm not sure what I can run in my Black/Green deck that would be good. I was considering Mossbridge Troll but I'm not sure if I would be able to tap for 10 very easily.

Stragint on

• Options
    DamnedLibrarianDamnedLibrarian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Darian wrote: »
    Raking canopy is only 3 mana: 1GG.

The problem with Raking Canopy is faries can play around it until they can bounce it with Cryptic and swing ftw. Not saying it's a bad card, but it's not tournament worthy that's for sure. It'd probably do just fine in a casual setting.

DamnedLibrarian on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think its tournament worthy. Especially if you run counters also. I can easily toss in two or three guttural response. "Oh, cryptic command? I would never have guessed, to bad I have..... GUTTURAL RESPONSE!"

Its an easy way to jack up a faerie deck, counters or not. In the time my opponent waits to use something like Cryptic Command or some such thing I could use the Gift of the Deity enchant and just sac a creature to kill all the faeries. I think this has a lot of potential.

Stragint on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    gift of the deity is five mana. bitterblossom costs two.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Big deal. I can drop it out on turn 3 if I get lucky and by turn 4 almost every time. The mana cost is not a big deal.

Stragint on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    I just got into Magic, and I'm trying to make a cool Esper deck. This is my prototype:
    Plainswalker: 1
    1x Liliana vess

Creatures: 18
    1x Sphinx Sovereign
    1x Master of Etherium
    1x Sharding Sphinx
    3x Windwright Mage
    4x Tower Gargoyle
    2x Etherium Sculptor
    2x Sanctum Gargoyle
    2x Tidehollow Strix
    1x Stillmoon Cavalier
    1x Puppet Conjurer

Other: 17
    1x Kiss of the Amesha
    1x Cancel
    1x Put Away
    1x Scattering Stroke
    3x Oblivion Ring
    1x Resounding Wave
    2x Obelisk of Esper
    1x Repel Intruders
    1x Angelsong
    1x Snakeform
    1x Tidings
    1x Call the Skybreaker
    1x Executioner’s Capsule
    1x Courier’s Capsule

Land: 24
    3x Esper Panorama
    2x Arcane Sanctum
    4x Swamp
    11x Island
    4x Plains

My group of friends and I are playing Standard format. Any suggestions?

cytorak on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Raking Canopy is not amazing against faeries. All it does is stall them until they bounce it or fly right over you with a scion'd mistbind clique. It's a stall card, it will never kill anything. Since faeries has numerous ways to deal with it, I'd suggest something more proactive. Raking Canopy, however, is kind of the nuts against RDW that plays demigods and hell's thunders, because they have no way to get rid of enchantments, or get their fliers past it.

Hurricane is also bad, as it's a sorcery. You want something that's instant speed. Cloudthresher is the best card against faeries because it's instant removal and a huge dude that you can flash in if you catch them tapping out. most faeries builds also don't run terror/eyeblights maindeck anymore, so they have next to no way of dealing with him if he hits.

Cards like jund charm are also good against faeries as it's instant. also doubles up as reveillark hate

JeffH on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    cytorak wrote: »
    I just got into Magic, and I'm trying to make a cool Esper deck. This is my prototype:
    Plainswalker: 1
    1x Liliana vess

Creatures: 18
    1x Sphinx Sovereign
    1x Master of Etherium
    1x Sharding Sphinx
    3x Windwright Mage
    4x Tower Gargoyle
    2x Etherium Sculptor
    2x Sanctum Gargoyle
    2x Tidehollow Strix
    1x Stillmoon Cavalier
    1x Puppet Conjurer

Other: 17
    1x Kiss of the Amesha
    1x Cancel
    1x Put Away
    1x Scattering Stroke
    3x Oblivion Ring
    1x Resounding Wave
    2x Obelisk of Esper
    1x Repel Intruders
    1x Angelsong
    1x Snakeform
    1x Tidings
    1x Call the Skybreaker
    1x Executioner’s Capsule
    1x Courier’s Capsule

Land: 24
    3x Esper Panorama
    2x Arcane Sanctum
    4x Swamp
    11x Island
    4x Plains

My group of friends and I are playing Standard format. Any suggestions?

Not a bad casual deck at all. Just my suggestion, and one you will find you will get a lot from other players, is to cut the 1-ofs. You really want to have a deck that has a lot of 4-ofs and 3-ofs. These are the cards you want to see early and often. Usually you wanna have a 1-of in the deck if you wanna see it later in the game or use Lilianna to search for it.

Other than that, not sure what else to put in here.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think I want to run Blightning Beat Down but all the decks I see run 4 Demigod and 4 Figure and I only have 1 of each. Any suggestions on what can put in?

Stragint on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    tattermunge maniac for figure, demigod has no real good replacement. maybe another aggro dude like stigma lasher, vexing shusher, or ram gang if they dont run those already

that said, figure and demigod are kind of the wheels of that deck, so trade for them?

JeffH on
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I went to my local comic book store and and did shards sealed. Big cards were titanic ultimatum and bull ceradon. I went 0-2, 1-2 (on the back of titanic), 2-0 (against a 10 year old Sad).

I gave the set a shot and I have to say, I think they need to give multicolor a rest.

Onslaught had 4, Mirrodin block had 0 multi color cards, Kamigawa had two, Rav was the multi color block (162) and then we see an explosion of gold cards (likely due to Rav's popularity).

Time spiral had 41, Lorwyn (just Lor/Morn) had 8 and shadowmoor had 196. In two sets we got more gold cards than in the 3 set multi color block.

Now shards is out and it looks to be at about the same level as Rav.

I want cards like Ruination, back to basics, sowing salt, blood moon, primal order and molten rain.

Playing a second color should be doable, but 3 (and 5 for fucks sake!) should be a lot more risky/difficult. I remember reading an article on wizards that the basic thing that separates M:TG from other card games is the land/mana system. By making color/mana screw a thing of the past M:TG becomes just another yugioh, pokemon or WoW:TCG.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I want to run a 5 Color Control deck but that shit is expensive as hell. Its gonna be the top deck this year.

Stragint on

• Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    it is lamentable. Ponza isn't really viable without stone rain and I think it would hurt a 5 color deck badly.

edit:

FUCK IT WE'LL BUILD A PONZA DECK

LIST IN 10!

LANDS:
    22x WHO GIVES A SHIT

FUCK YOUR LANDS:
    4 POISON THE WELL
    4 DRAIN THE WELL
    4 RAIN OF TEARS

DUDES:
    4 MOGG FANATIC
    4 LLANOWAR ELF
    4 TATTERMUNGE MANIAC
    4 ASHENMOOR LIEGE
    2 DEUS OF CALAMITY

FUCK YOUR DUDES TOO:
    4 CRUEL EDICT (OR TERROR OR EXECUTIONER'S CAPSULE)
    4 PYROCLASM (MAYBE FIRESPOUT)

SIDEBOARD:
    4 NATURALIZE
    4 CLOUDTHRESHER
    4 EYES OF THE WISENT
    3 ROOTMAZE

EDIT 5 OR 6: WTH MY ENTIRE SIDEBOARD IS GREEN

EDIT 6 OR 7: NO SMILIES!

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You should have Fulminator mage instead of Drain the Well, and maybe Makeshift Mannequin in there somewhere too? If you're playing MM, then you could use Shriekmaw instead of Cruel Edict.

Papillon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    it is lamentable. Ponza isn't really viable without stone rain and I think it would hurt a 5 color deck badly.

edit:

FUCK IT WE'LL BUILD A PONZA DECK

LIST IN 10!

LANDS:
    22x WHO GIVES A SHIT

FUCK YOUR LANDS:
    4 POISON THE WELL
    4 DRAIN THE WELL
    4 RAIN OF TEARS

DUDES:
    4 MOGG FANATIC
    4 LLANOWAR ELF
    4 TATTERMUNGE MANIAC
    4 ASHENMOOR LIEGE
    2 DEUS OF CALAMITY

FUCK YOUR DUDES TOO:
    4 CRUEL EDICT (OR TERROR OR EXECUTIONER'S CAPSULE)
    4 PYROCLASM (MAYBE FIRESPOUT)

SIDEBOARD:
    4 NATURALIZE
    4 CLOUDTHRESHER
    4 EYES OF THE WISENT
    3 ROOTMAZE

EDIT 5 OR 6: WTH MY ENTIRE SIDEBOARD IS GREEN

EDIT 6 OR 7: NO SMILIES!

I would prefer to just make them discard their entire hand over destroying their land but that is me.

Stragint on

• Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think I want to run Blightning Beat Down but all the decks I see run 4 Demigod and 4 Figure and I only have 1 of each. Any suggestions on what can put in?

Yeah, it won't work. You're running a different deck at that point.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    Playing a second color should be doable, but 3 (and 5 for fucks sake!) should be a lot more risky/difficult. I remember reading an article on wizards that the basic thing that separates M:TG from other card games is the land/mana system. By making color/mana screw a thing of the past M:TG becomes just another yugioh, pokemon or WoW:TCG.

Constructed or limited? Constructed you have a point, but drafting shards? Manafixing is like the most important thing in the draft, color screw comes into play sooooo often. There's still a huge risk to running 3(or more) color decks in draft.
    I want to run a 5 Color Control deck but that shit is expensive as hell. Its gonna be the top deck this year.

If you metagame for it/know what you are doing, 5 color control is kind of a joke. On wednesday I had cruel ultimatum resolved on me three times in two games - I won 2-0.

JeffH on