As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why is River a Terminator? Sarah Conner Chronicles

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My review:
    So wait, the only reason that the Company knows that Claire is the catalyst is because Sylar examines Claire and says that she's different. But apparently Arthur/Mohinder already know that Claire is the catalyst when they tell Sylar to hunt her down.

Daphne apparently has a secondary power, the power to say the most annoying line possible in any given situation. Every time she opens her mouth, I want to face palm.

I like how Hiro thinking in Japanese can thwart Matt's telepathy, and how Daphne complains that seconds feel like hours to her. But apparently, she thinks at perfectly normal speeds, and can't prevent Matt from reading her thoughts.

Claire: "I can help! I can fight!" No you can't, bitch. You're a healer. You're only attack is to use a taser, which apparently only has one shot.

"I'll be famous! A bonofide hero!" Anyone playing the Heroes drinking game, please take a sip. Also, apparently, car rental agents are known for keeping shotguns under the counter. And they threaten to shoot people just because the pretty girl told them that the guy was a bad man.

Sylar: "I hate Heroes." And finally, one of the characters says what the rest of them have been thinking.

Man, Elle went from "I'm really a nice girl who's seeking forgiveness and redemption from the guy who killed my dad" back to psycho bitch from hell in record time. The same for Sylar's non-redemption.

Claire: "I've been just fine without you." HRG: "Have you?" Once again, HRG is the only good character on the show.

Loved the part where Nathan falls in the water.

"Hey, wasn't there an eclipse that first day you flew?" "Yeah? So?" Uh... remember the car accident? It's only been covered twice now.

Apparently, idiot boy is now an expert on voodoo.

"Why are you turning your head sideways? What's your problem, son?" Okay, good line.

"In the future, you choose him. You choose dad, Nathan." Wow, it's too bad that your future self never thought to warn you about that, huh?

Apparently Elle and Sylar accidentally shoot Claire. It's too bad that the guy who sent them on their mission couldn't foresee this, huh? Wait -- what?

"The corn will keep on coming." Describes the script pretty well.

Apparently on Heroes, solar eclipses last a matter of hours, rather than minutes.

Wow, Haitian's brother is apparently smart enough to not only hire people with guns, but who are actually willing to fire them.

"You are smart... and beautiful... and funny..." Okay, someone please tell me when Daphne was ever smart or funny? I'm surprised he didn't also add, "And you're fantastic in the sack" while he was at it.

Apparently Daphne's entire backstory is that she used to be on crutches prior to her powers? That's it? And somehow she knew that her powers were going to go away and went back home in anticipation?

Oh goodie, Sylar no longer has his hunger since his powers are gone. Which is totally consistent with what happened with Candice season two.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    I don't know if this is a touchdown for Skynet or not however. The T-1000's agenda is seeming murkier then ever - it has no problem killing those who get in it's way, but neither did Arnie till John told him not to.

Also I was 50% expecting them to think of offering Cameron's chip to the guy with the AI prototype to experiment with - it does occur to me that there was something behind the whole "he doesn't play chess" spiel, also the reason the son was creating the AI in the image of his mother - i.e. an AI which had emotion at it's heart, and thus might be likely to like humanity.

I think I can summarize safely as, this show has gotten pretty damn awesome.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Anyone notice that Xander mentions his mother died in a car crash in 1984?

Is it possible that she died as a causalty of the original Terminator?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I've not watched the episode yet but te concept of a terminator armed with a musket and having to reload his pellet after every shot amuses me.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    LizardLizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cromartie! Don't ever scare us like that again, you magnificent bastard!

Next week: "Activating Jealousy Mode"

Lizard on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    TIME TRAVEL IN TERMINATOR DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.

see this is what i am saying

instead of trying to make sense of the time travel parts (which are dumb), i choose to look at the show from the stance of dramatic symbolism and whatnot.

John and Skynet being time paradox ying and yang trying to destroy each other, for example.

I've been trying to say this.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Why the hell is Shirley Manson on this show

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »

late to the party, dynagrip?

Pony on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I wondered this myself. It's possible, or it could just be a coincidence. We won't really know unless the show references it some more and fills us in on the details.

I was bummed at
    the death of the shrink. I liked his character.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Bolthorn wrote: »

I wondered this myself. It's possible, or it could just be a coincidence. We won't really know unless the show references it some more and fills us in on the details.

I was bummed at

Ultimately, I think
    the shrink's death was a bad move on the writer's part. I realize he was a minor character, but he was likeable enough to warrant at least a few on-screen minutes showing his death or the moments leading up to it.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm very curious if James Cameron or anybody else associated with the original films watches this series? I'm amazed at how well they are staying within the plot lines.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »

late to the party, dynagrip?

I saw a little bit because it was on the gym tv. I still have no desire to watch this show. Shirley manson has gotten old.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I was bummed at

Ultimately, I think
    the shrink's death was a bad move on the writer's part. I realize he was a minor character, but he was likeable enough to warrant at least a few on-screen minutes showing his death or the moments leading up to it.
    SkyNet called 911! It said it thought he could still be helped! Even that indicates progress to me in a race that mistakes turning people face down on broken glass for compassion.

Lizard on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    holy fuck that episode was so god damn excellent

Pony on
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

That was the first thing that popped into my mind. Did Terminator actually take place in 1984 according to the show? I know they fudge some of the old numbers.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Lizard wrote: »

I was bummed at

Ultimately, I think
    SkyNet called 911! It said it thought he could still be helped! Even that indicates progress to me in a race that mistakes turning people face down on broken glass for compassion.

Even though Elison said it didnt' care about him I'd say it showed consideration, perhaps it lacks the understanding of what death means.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Wetsun wrote: »

That was the first thing that popped into my mind. Did Terminator actually take place in 1984 according to the show? I know they fudge some of the old numbers.

LOL, yes. It's that damn of a long saga that surprisingly hasn't needed a reboot or remake.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    WetsunWetsun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Emanon wrote: »
    Wetsun wrote: »

LOL, yes. It's that damn of a long saga that surprisingly hasn't needed a reboot or remake.

Well, I mean I think they mess with John's age / the date of T2 according to the show, so I wouldn't be surprised if the 1984 date doesn't quite fit anymore. I'm too lazy to actually look anything up about it though.

Wetsun on
    XBL/Steam: Wetsun
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What if now we get a skynet that instead of killing humanity forcefully converts it to mormonism or something

override367 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What if now we get a skynet that instead of killing humanity forcefully converts it to mormonism or something

A dozen robot wives for everyone?

That's it, fuck all of you wretched meatbags, I'm a Grey now.

Lizard on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Does anyone think that Manson-bot would have killed John Connor had she not missed him by seconds in the shrink's office?

Also... Ellison...
    Think he's regretting bringing Cromartie to Manson?

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    FendallFendall Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fendall wrote: »
    So I'm thinking Shirlybot installs that bouncing baby AI she keeps in the basement into Cromarties body and it goes nuts. I'll bet you one pound it happens.

I called it. You guys owe me a pound.

Fendall on
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Which means it will not get renewed for next season.

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

If there has ever been one thing that calls for an act of God to save it, that thing would be TSCC. Seriously Fox, moving this show Fridays? You got Prison Break still scraping the bottom of a one-season premise, and you're gonna move TSCC to Friday?

Fuck you, Fox.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

If there has ever been one thing that calls for an act of God to save it, that thing would be TSCC. Seriously Fox, moving this show Fridays? You got Prison Break still scraping the bottom of a one-season premise, and you're gonna move TSCC to Friday?

Fuck you, Fox.

Monday isn't making any magic happen either. SCC finally dipped below 5 million viewers, and lost to NBC, ABC, CBS... and the Mexican channel.

Basically we get nine Friday night episodes to see how things turn out. I seriously doubt things could get worse than they are now. Sci-Fi Channel has good results on Fridays, typically because their favored demographic isn't likely to be anywhere else.

Lizard on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I know... it's easier for me to blame Fox than realize that I live in the kind of world where this show isn't kicking Monday night's ass.

Any ideas about why this show is slipping so bad in ratings? I know it has it's problems, but we also get to enjoy generally deep characters with hidden agendas acting with some sense of logic while making decidedly human errors, enjoyable villains, robots, explosions, and a plot that makes both good use of internal logic and, most importantly, fucking sense.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If there has ever been one thing that calls for an act of God to save it, that thing would be TSCC.

I suppose you could say, it needs some Salvation even?

zerg rush on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I know... it's easier for me to blame Fox than realize that I live in the kind of world where this show isn't kicking Monday night's ass.

Any ideas about why this show is slipping so bad in ratings? I know it has it's problems, but we also get to enjoy generally deep characters with hidden agendas acting with some sense of logic while making decidedly human errors, enjoyable villains, robots, explosions, and a plot that makes both good use of internal logic and, most importantly, fucking sense.

Pretty sure you just answered your own question.

If it isn't A Dancing Star with Sparklers Up Their Ass, American television audiences have trouble?

Raynaga on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    shit, the series just gets better and better with each new episode, i would never have suspected this before watching it.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So...is it possible that the Shirley-bot isn't even part of the Skynet agenda?
    I'm beginning to wonder if she might be a breakaway group of Terminators who decided that the original Skynet was too flawed to ever win the war; or maybe that ever even starting a war was a bad tactical decision to begin with. Teaching John Henry about empathy doesn't really seem to make much sense to me otherwise.

As for her killing the opposition; if you're amoral to begin with, ( which all Terminator models introduced this far have been ), human life is of secondary importance to completing the mission goals, whatever they may be.

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I actually had this crazy idea..

what if..

shirlybot is skynet? downloaded itself into a t-1000 in a "if you gotta do it right, do it yourself" thing, and is coming back to improve itself?

or is that too batshit crazy?

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

She flipped him over so he wouldn't swallow his tongue. Compassion!

what if..

shirlybot is skynet? downloaded itself into a t-1000 in a "if you gotta do it right, do it yourself" thing, and is coming back to improve itself?

Nah. Why would she need to create Skynet and ensure it gets in control of vital systems across the country if she could do that all herself? Why hire a psychiatrist to teach baby Skynet how to think if Momma Skynet could do it herself?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »

She flipped him over so he wouldn't swallow his tongue. Compassion!

what if..

Nah. Why would she need to create Skynet and ensure it gets in control of vital systems across the country if she could do that all herself? Why hire a psychiatrist to teach baby Skynet how to think if Momma Skynet could do it herself?

to better herself.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Shirley-Bot's primary motivation isn't too complicated. The resistance tried to destroy the Turk. Her job is to make sure that it doesn't get destroyed. Since Andy Goode got killed and is no longer around to develop the project, she needs to fill the void.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    You guys need to check out this flash poster for the new movie. Badass.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=50815

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

that is pretty hardcore.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

that is pretty hardcore.

... I don't see anything on the page. :|

Underdog on
  • Options
    DredZedDredZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Underdog wrote: »

that is pretty hardcore.

I had to turn off Adblock to see it, that might be your problem too.

DredZed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DredZed wrote: »
    Underdog wrote: »

that is pretty hardcore.

I had to turn off Adblock to see it, that might be your problem too.

oh snap that was a cool ad

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    zerg rush wrote: »
    If there has ever been one thing that calls for an act of God to save it, that thing would be TSCC.

I suppose you could say, it needs some Salvation even?

It will be interesting to see whether or not Fox keeps it due to the movie coming out next year and a possible huge boost in ratings or cans it due to the failing ratings currently.

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
This discussion has been closed.