As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Album in the past 10 years?

• Options
    VicissitudeVicissitude Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sheep wrote: »
    If it's not Circulatory System, it's definitely this one:

Dopethrone.jpg

This, right here.

Vicissitude on
  • Options
    Ebz123Ebz123 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If THEPAIN73 isn't joking then I may cry.

And no live and no collections - if we're talking about an 'album' with no qualifiers then we mean a single release comprising multiple songs, usually intended to be put together in that way and not previously released apart from as singles or on EPs.

As for what actual album then I'll have to get back to you in a bit.

Ebz123 on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is ten years old, and still wonderful. It's a joy to listen too.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Combining some degree of mainstream appeal with all around quality, what about:
    MMGoodNews5075.jpg

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    EDIT: Firefox posted it twice.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is fucking ridiculous. I looked up 3 albums and each one was outside the last 10 years. Screw you all, I'm not that old.

Edit: Fourth....seriously, wtf is that shit?

zeeny on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ebz123 wrote: »

I am joking, but it is one of my favorite CD's.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    In the Aeroplane... came out in early 1998 so that's stretching it time-wise, but certainly not musically as it's incredible, I heard it for the first time earlier this year it was one of those real 'Oh fuck why haven't I heard this before?!' moments.

This is a hard question because there are so many criteria but here's a stab -

The Libertines - Up the Bracket in terms of albums important to the last 10 years of my life in terms of personal significance then this is a big contender.

Radiohead - Kid A, because the music police are holding a gun to my head, less personal but its significance has to be recognised.

MIA - Kala, nothing else captures the globalisation of the world in the last ten years like this album does. Completely destroys the idea of 'world music' by tearing down the barriers between countries and cultures.

EDIT -
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    Ebz123 wrote: »

I am joking, but it is one of my favorite CD's.

In all honesty that's fair enough, even if it's generally considered a bit lame if an album is a massive personal fave then why not? It's why The Libertines are in my list, it's a really ramshackle mess of an album but I just love it.

Ebz123 on
  • Options
    pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I really love Funeral by Arcade Fire

pots+pans on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I agree with a lot of the recommendations in here already. Lateralus by Tool would make my shortlist, as would Leviathan by Mastodon, and I'd also be inclined to throw out In the Absence of Truth or Panopticon by Isis.

But, I think that all of those albums pale in comparison to Labor Days by Aesop Rock.

aesoprock_labordays_101b.jpg

I could go on and on about how great it is, but I won't.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet gets honorable mention into my post as well.

urahonky on
  • Options
    L. KillingtonL. Killington Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet gets honorable mention into my post as well.

Oh damn.

It disappoints me that I didn't think of this.

L. Killington on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow.

This thread has taught me the OK Computer is ELEVEN.

I'm OLD.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Almost made it to page three without a Radiohead mention, I'm impressed

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Yeah. Half the bands here I've never heard of and the indie bands I've heard of before I would never listen to. And an indie band can't get "greatest album of the past 10 years" because in order to receive such an honor, they should be recognized by practically everyone and enjoyed by everyone. Indie rock doesn't appeal to everyone. There are few indie bands that I listen to and enjoy.

this is a ridiculous sentiment

No music appeals to everyone. Period. Saying that "indie" bands stay as such because they're not talented or enjoyed by everyone is being entirely shortsighted. There are roughly a billion factors that effect a bands relative obscurity, and most of them have absolutely nothing to do with talent or mainstream accessibility. There's plenty of untalented and obtuse artists that end up chart toppers, and plenty of talented and perfectly accessible independent artists that never make it into the public eye simply because they didn't get their break.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Almost made it to page three without a Radiohead mention, I'm impressed

Sorry dead.

Radiohead.kida.albumart.jpg

This.

Though maybe this:

Animal_collective_merriweather.jpg

can give it a run for its money. Too soon though to tell. Edit: the cover is alive and its pulling me in.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh god my eyes.

It's not too late to claim the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, is it?

Medopine on
  • Options
    MuragoMurago Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    We should make a top 10 of agreed upon possible best albums, and turn it into a poll.

And by we, I mean someone else besides me. I will vote though.

I think everyone knows what I'll nominate for the top 10.
    Yoshimi-Pink-Robots-706192.jpg

in case you forgot...

Murago on
    Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Yeah. Half the bands here I've never heard of and the indie bands I've heard of before I would never listen to. And an indie band can't get "greatest album of the past 10 years" because in order to receive such an honor, they should be recognized by practically everyone and enjoyed by everyone. Indie rock doesn't appeal to everyone. There are few indie bands that I listen to and enjoy.

No music appeals to everyone. Period. Saying that "indie" bands stay as such because they're not talented or enjoyed by everyone is being entirely shortsighted. There are roughly a billion factors that effect a bands relative obscurity, and most of them have absolutely nothing to do with talent or mainstream accessibility. There's plenty of untalented and obtuse artists that end up chart toppers, and plenty of talented and perfectly accessible independent artists that never make it into the public eye simply because they didn't get their break.

Exactly what I mean. No music appeals to everyone. But when you're going to choose "best album of the past 10 years" you should choose something that the vast majority listens to and enjoys. Indie music just doesn't fall into this category. I would never suggest that Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes is the best album ever (example since I can't find an indie album in the past 10 years I enjoy) even though I personally love this album. It's one of my favorites of all time, but barely any of my friends have heard of the band/album and the ones that have don't enjoy their music. A band like this takes a certain taste to enjoy it.

The same applies to a band like Cake. When I was naming off albums to consider, I didn't suggest Comfort Eagle, Pressure Chief, or even Prolonging the Magic (still technically 10 years) even though they are amazing albums. It's because it takes a certain taste to enjoy the type of music cake makes.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FattronicusFattronicus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Flaming Lips- The Soft Bulletin

Although "Yoshimi," is a damn fine album as well.

Fattronicus on
    76561197968482768.png
  • Options
    MuragoMurago Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    On the ideas of indie, I would agree that its difficult to choose a band that is not well known. The Flaming Lips is a stretch, but I would have much preferred to put forth:

Secret Machines
    Now Here Is Nowhere
    181420_1_f.jpg

But I think this band is an acquired taste. You need to be into interesting voices, harmonies, melody, psychadelics, and drawing the shit out of music.

The Soft Bulletin is awesome BTW. Race for the Prize rocks my socks off.

Murago on
    Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    516DZMQ1MGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Do I win this thread?

That's Neutral Milk Hotels album In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.

Edit: Danmit I knew I shouldn't have skipped over the second page in this thread.

Other amazing album,
    Sufjan Stevens - Come on Feel the Illinois
    Stars - Set Yourself on Fire

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008

Exactly what I mean. No music appeals to everyone. But when you're going to choose "best album of the past 10 years" you should choose something that the vast majority listens to and enjoys. Indie music just doesn't fall into this category. I would never suggest that Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes is the best album ever (example since I can't find an indie album in the past 10 years I enjoy) even though I personally love this album. It's one of my favorites of all time, but barely any of my friends have heard of the band/album and the ones that have don't enjoy their music. A band like this takes a certain taste to enjoy it.

The same applies to a band like Cake. When I was naming off albums to consider, I didn't suggest Comfort Eagle, Pressure Chief, or even Prolonging the Magic (still technically 10 years) even though they are amazing albums. It's because it takes a certain taste to enjoy the type of music cake makes.

no

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    FattronicusFattronicus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    516DZMQ1MGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Do I win this thread?

That's Neutral Milk Hotels album In the Aeroplane Over the Sea.

Edit: Danmit I knew I shouldn't have skipped over the second page in this thread.

Other amazing album,
    Sufjan Stevens - Come on Feel the Illinois
    Stars - Set Yourself on Fire

I wish I could get into this Neutral Milk Hotel everyone is always creaming over. I listened to the first two songs, loved them and then the album just took a nosedive for me. *Shrug* Oh well. And Sufjan Stevens is pretty awesome too :^:

Fattronicus on
    76561197968482768.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Holland 1945 is the song that won me over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCca1pourVM

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Except the question is best, not most popular

Just because a band doesn't have a huge following doesn't mean they don't make fantastic music. They just may not have great management. Or maybe too much artistic integrity.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Good art is not determined by contemporary recognition. Many good artists and musicians have died paupers. Many also died famous and wealthy; the value of art is determined by neither the presence or absence of success. Presently, praise is easier to attain than long-term financial success though. :P

More people than ever before can listen to music, and a growing sect of the populace is are choosing the music they listen to in defiance of the narrow band that is promoted and played on the radio. Restricting ourselves to only radio hits cuts down the available music to about 1 song per week, ignoring the hundreds that for whatever reason will never be played. And given the fairly recent revelation that most radio play choices have to do with bribery rather than DJ selection, this self-imposed limitation goes from inadvisable to irresponsible.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    ubernekouberneko Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People

youforgotitinpeopleff0.jpg

uberneko on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Wow.

This thread has taught me the OK Computer is ELEVEN.

I'm OLD.

You and me both man.

I remember where I was when I got that record. Christmas the year it came out.

What Neil Young records have come out in the past 10 years? Certainly one of those would qualify in a decade retrospective.

EDIT

Year of the Horse
    Silver & Gold
    Are You Passionate?
    Greendale
    Living with War
    Chrome Dreams II

Nope. Scratch that idea.

EDIT II
    Good art is not determined by contemporary recognition. Many good artists and musicians have died paupers.

Harvest? The Neil Young album everyone loves? Bad reviews. Tonight's the Night, Neil Young's greatest album? One of my absolute personal favorites of all time? Horrible reviews.

Fuck a contemporary.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I understand what most of you guys are saying, but I don't agree. Now, obviously this thread isn't for selecting the best album of the past ten years, but rather for discussion of what we thing deserves the title. So it's not going to be decided to nomination/vote. But that's how these things are usually decided. And like the OP said, his reason for why something should be the best album of the past 10 years may differ from my reason. To me, one of the qualifications must be that the vast majority of music listeners must enjoy the album. There are a lot of indie bands that have been mentioned on this thread that I don't enjoy, therefore I don't think their album should be the best album.

And on another note, I don't really listen to current music. Over half of my music collection is classic rock. I listen to bands like Queen, Led Zepplin, Creedence Clearwater Revival, AC/DC, The Beatles, The Eagles, Simon and Garfunkel, Elton John, Billy Joel, The Yardbirds, The Who, The Rolling Stones, and so on. Few of these bands/artists are making albums anymore. So it's difficult for me to find an album in the past 10 years I enjoy as much as these older albums. This makes my personal selection for best album in the past 10 years much more limited than the average person.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Johnny Cash's last album was pretty good. It was interesting to see how he took an album composed almost entirely of covers and made it into something very personal.

I also enjoyed both Hot Fuss and Sam's Town by the Killers. Don't know if I'd call them the best album of the last ten years, though.

Welcome To Jamrock was awesome the first time I heard it, especially the first track...but for some reason I don't like it near as much as I used to. Also, to the people who mentioned Stankonia, that's got my vote too. I lost my copy like a year ago and I really need to buy it again.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    odelay-cover.jpg

Especially the Deluxe edition. Deadweight, Devil's Haircut, Where It's At (which is a candidate for best song ever), Thunder Peel, American Wasteland.

While it doesn't sound like such a progressive album now, that's because the movement that Beck started with Odelay became such a part of the alternative and mainstream musical scene (the blending of hiphop with rock, the weird lyrics that Beck still has a near monopoly on, the basslines and other elements of the songs) that it honestly doesn't sound like an album that's 10 years old. Plus the extras with the CD add awesomeness to it (it includes someone interviewing high school kids who don't know who Beck is)

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I understand what most of you guys are saying, but I don't agree. Now, obviously this thread isn't for selecting the best album of the past ten years, but rather for discussion of what we thing deserves the title. So it's not going to be decided to nomination/vote. But that's how these things are usually decided. And like the OP said, his reason for why something should be the best album of the past 10 years may differ from my reason. To me, one of the qualifications must be that the vast majority of music listeners must enjoy the album. There are a lot of indie bands that have been mentioned on this thread that I don't enjoy, therefore I don't think their album should be the best album.
    I do believe the proper response to this is

Velvet Underground

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Duffel wrote: »
    Johnny Cash's last album was pretty good. It was interesting to see how he took an album composed almost entirely of covers and made it into something very personal.

I agree whole heartedly. He really displayed his talent as a musician by doing this too. His last album was American V, and American IV was equally as great.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think things like this are somewhat ridiculous, because music is pretty distinct from literature, visual art, and others, because it has so many social functions. For instance, the Knife's Silent Shout is an absolutely genius dance album, and a pretty damn good album in itself. I think Kid A is the best rock album of all time, and Kid A might be the best ALBUM of all time, but they also have limitations.

But, yeah, Kid A

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Velvet Underground

Not quite sure what you're saying.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Velvet Underground

Definitely.

Also, I believe that the philosophy towards listening to music should be about cooperative discovery, not casual dismissal.

Edit. Limed.

Mithrandir86 on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    And I think Confessions on the Dancefloor might be the best pop album ever as well.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Well the famous saying about the Velvet Underground's first album is that barely anyone bought it but those who did formed a band. In short, not at all popular but massively influential.

Ebz123 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    And on another note, I don't really listen to current music. Over half of my music collection is classic rock. I listen to bands like Queen, Led Zepplin, Creedence Clearwater Revival, AC/DC, The Beatles, The Eagles, Simon and Garfunkel, Elton John, Billy Joel, The Yardbirds, The Who, The Rolling Stones, and so on. Few of these bands/artists are making albums anymore. So it's difficult for me to find an album in the past 10 years I enjoy as much as these older albums. This makes my personal selection for best album in the past 10 years much more limited than the average person.

That sounds like it really sucks.

I mean my collection is filled those bands you mentioned, but I'm glad that I can hear new music that I like on a regular basis still.

Burtletoy on
This discussion has been closed.