As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hi! My name is... (or "Why I hate anyone with more than 1 'X' in their name")

• Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    Mines an anagram of my first name

Of course most people try pronouncing it once poorly in voice chat and afterwards just say sam

Is it said like Flotsam?

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Everyone thinks mine is from RE4, but it's actually more obscure. It's the main character in the Exile games on the Turbo Grafx CD. Definitely a small time series compared to the great Resident Evil, but I always liked it.

Saddler on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Saddler wrote: »
    Everyone thinks mine is from RE4, but it's actually more obscure. It's the main character in the Exile games on the Turbo Grafx CD. Definitely a small time series compared to the great Resident Evil, but I always liked it.

No, your small time, Saddler!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Why Carcharodontosaurus? Simple. It's a brutal extinct predator that has a jaw that functions like a shark's on the body of a sleeker Tyrannosaurus Rex, proving once again that nature is capable of gross, even ridiculous overkill. Therefore, it's awesome.

Perhaps in retrospect something much shorter might have been more appropriate. :lol:

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mine's really simple. I needed a username for my first forum, and I was playing Chrono Cross at the time. Glenn was used, of course, so I added the 565 on a whim. Used it ever since because I'm uncreative.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Why Carcharodontosaurus? Simple. It's a brutal extinct predator that has a jaw that functions like a shark's on the body of a sleeker Tyrannosaurus Rex, proving once again that nature is capable of gross, even ridiculous overkill. Therefore, it's awesome.

Perhaps in retrospect something much shorter might have been more appropriate. :lol:

DinoShark
    Coming in 2010 on all platforms!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That very day I re-signed up for the PA forums, because I had long forgotten my username from when I lurked frequently in high school. Unfortunately, I used the whole name, which uses my last name with a 'Mc' tagged onto the beginning. Probably wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, and it's a source of anxiety for me when I do Secret Santa. "Ha, what a tard, can't even think up a name that doesn't use part of his real name!" is something I fear runs through my Santas' minds.

Having been your santa for a year, I can reassure you that I didn't look down on you for your username at all. :P

edit: My nickname, which I've used everywhere I could, came from writing "Wind" on the back of my hand with a silver pen in Grade 7. I thought it sounded nice. Fortunately, I haven't really been made to regret this--though I hate how it's not entirely unique. I use Windymaiden when SilverWind is taken.

...And yes, I'm a little bit picky about capitalizing both the S and the W. I don't know why!

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    StopAndSwishStopAndSwish Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My sig here is a reference to basketball.

In-game i use Constable_Cottonsworth. Why? I saw it in some "Help name my cat" thread in H/A or SE++ and thought what the heck, why not.

StopAndSwish on
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

DinoShark
    Coming in 2010 on all platforms!

It has a certain ring to it, I'll give you that.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My screen name is my middle name. Rather convenient as I lack imagination for cool handles.

Zafina on
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I really can't remember where i've got this from, i always used to go by my first or last name on forums but they were both taken.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My screen name is used by me on damn near everything, so therefore if you see a WMain00 it's likely to be me.

It's an amalgamation of my name. The 00 stands for 2000, which was the year i first got on the Internet.

It's been nicknamed Woomainoo by most people....

WMain00 on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ferdy wrote: »
    Oh and Kieran,
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    A friend's girlfriend called me "The Grinch that Stole the Money from the Can Machine". I kinda liked it, logged on to IRC as _Grinch_ that night and it's stuck since.

That's such a cool story :) and not boring at all! I always just assumed you were an avid Dr Seuss fan, like someone else we know.

Thanks :) I do quite like Dr Seuss but only started because I'd used the nickname "Grinch" for over a year and thought I'd better read something related.

Also you and Lewie need to give me a shout when you're both in Leeds, I need an excuse to go for a pint after work on these cold winter days.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    S043 (my Gamertag on XBL) is for Spartan-043, a SPARTAN-II from the Halo series. And now that I've branched out more and more, I've just made it my thing.

Having a Halo-based name as my Playstation Network ID makes me laugh, but I don't really think of it as just that anymore. It's what I use for everything.
    It doesn't hurt that William-043 is dead.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    I usually go by Sir Gravelsandwich, XBL is Honkalot though.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    wetflamewetflame Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've gone through various names on forums, this particular one came from needing something interesting when I first wanted to register a domain, and coming up with this one. I also go with Mikebot sometimes, as that's what a friend of mine used to call me a lot. My gamertag is ThousandNeedles, and you don't need that explaining to you, though I did have someone loudly comment to me that it was a World Of Warcraft reference once.

wetflame on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name is from Tube.

My name used to be KingsHand

The stars aligned and I was online when Tube did the first name change thread some time ago. I asked for my name to be Kingshand (the H lowercase, it bugged the hell out of me) or The Dude, I was on a Big Lebowski kick.

Anyway, as you can see, I lost the coin toss.

I don't actually have herpes. But no one seems to remember that.

Alas, I have never been around when the new name threads pop up, and I've kinda grown fond of this name to be honest.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name here is simply my name. I very, very rarely don't get to use it but if it's taken I add 1888 to the end as that was the founding date of my favourite football club (Glasgow Celtic) even though I lost interest in the sport a year or two ago I still add the 1888 if Domhnall is taken.

Minty Vision! came about a bit after I first started playing on the PA TF2 servers and no one could pronounce my name and I didn't like using the phonetic spelling (Dol) and I went through quite a lot and for a while I went by Old Gregg the Funky Merman and other Mighty Boosh (British comedy show) characters. Then in an interview Noel Fielding explained that the reason the Hitchhiker character had a polo around his eye was because he had minty vision and I just thought that'd be a good name. I added the exclamation mark because I love 'em. Also the reason my spray in TF2 is a pair of eyes in some polo mints.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Snare is because I like to play the drums, Voidsnare (XBL) is because Snare was taken and Void was a random from the name gen. Works ok I suppose.

What I really fucking hate is any name with Sniper in, it's just so un original like killer or killa or k1ll4 or whatever... anyway back to sniper... those fuckers (in gears) who think that because they typed Sniper or 5n1p3r or some other un-original garbage into an on-screen keyboard that they are automatically entitled to take the sniper everytime and grief when you take it.

and calm

Snare on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    My name is awesome and doesn't need an explanation.
    Actually I've been using this since I went on my "call everyone a honky" binge when I was a youngin. While trying to come up with an email address my friend walks over to me, and I type in "u r a honky" for the name, and then took out the spaces. Since then it's been used basically everywhere.

And here I was thinking it was prounced u ra honky.

While playing TF2, I once saw someone named Dr. Acula and thought it was a neat name.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    NAVY SEAL SNIPER has betrayed you

NAVY SEAL SNIPER picks up sniper rifle

miss

miss

miss

miss

reload

miss

miss

miss

miss

NAVY SEAL SNIPER calls everyone a faggot and quits.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    KizKiz Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kiz is the natural nickname of Kieran, so my nick isn't terribly imaginative. Though in my case it was a little bit more interesting. I was Kieran -> Kizza -> Kizzabazza -> Kizzawizzaboomfartpoo -> Kiz. Most of that is from before I can remember though.

Kiz on
    PSN: Kiz-ziK | Gamertag: KizziK | Steam: Kizzik
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kiz wrote: »
    Kiz is the natural nickname of Kieran, so my nick isn't terribly imaginative. Though in my case it was a little bit more interesting. I was Kieran -> Kizza -> Kizzabazza -> Kizzawizzaboomfartpoo -> Kiz. Most of that is from before I can remember though.

Really? I've always gotten "Kie".

The only other "Kieran" I knew got Kiea (no idea how you spell it but phonetically it works out Key-a)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name is either Campy or Pablocampy, both are nicknames which I have been known by for freaking ages. Campy also my tag, which is really kind of stupid seeing as everyone upon everyone I know calls me campy...

Back in the golden days of internetting I was Total Head Case, probably with silly numbers exchanged for letters and such. On this point I am in agreement, the majority of people with the variants XxCORExX and leetspeak are complete asshats. As with anything though, there are a few exceptions.

Campy on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I feel kinda bad about the XX in my tag. The thought process was as follows:

"I want to express my personality/preferred playstyle and my gender is an important part of that. It's one thing to be a swashbuckler, but there are added dimensions to being a female swashbuckler. I want to keep it as an added dimension and not the Main Thing About Me, though, so I want to be subtle. Hey, I could play on the idea of a mysterious Swashbuckler X by adding another X to represent my chromosomes and get the idea across."

Some time after becoming SwashbucklerXX, I realized that most people probably just think "Swashbuckler" was taken. But hey, it's my tag now, and I'm gonna own it.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I started off with the handle zelphyer because, back in the AOL days, I wanted the handle Zephyr, but it was taken. When I was in college I had a friend who decided to call me Tool because of my Tool shirt and my like of the band. I believe his words were, "Is that your name tag? I'm gonna call you tool from now on." It just kind of became my nickname with people around college and it got multiple transformations from Toolie to Toolish to Toolicious and finally Toolbert. I decided to keep the Toolbert name and now use it for all my handles. I think there's like one other toolbert out there, but more than likely it'll be me if you find my handle out there.

toolbert on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My forum name here is because I was playing a lot of Culdcept and I wanted to quit but I just couldn't.

My Xbox Live tag came about because I was registering at 3 a.m. and I was going to use tw1tch (because I'm not original) and it was taken so I added some random shit on the end and called it a day. I'm not proud, but there it is.

Peen on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My handle comes from a couple different gaming experiences.

Flash back to college, when my friends and I played a lot of DOA. There was one character we just couldn't figure out, Gen Fu. Playing him was usually just a series of mashing buttons until you did something cool. Needless to say, mashing buttons ended up in total loss for you. However, in one random tag team match, my buddy got his ass handed to him, and I ended up having to fight both of the other players (who had full health) with the randomly picked Gen Fu. The stars aligned properly, and my furious mashing of buttons lead to a nearly flawless defeat of both. When Gen Fu wins, he sometimes declares something like "Look at my iron fist." This soon became a inside joke amongst my friends for when you severely own someone.

Flash forward to a game of Starcraft. For whatever reason, I always ended up playing the Zerg. In one particularly large 2v2 battle, I had one of the first zerglings I created survive for hours on the map, and the game eventually ended after this little zergling survived a major battle against the enemies front line base. Due to the total exhaustion of resources, and with nothing left to respond with, my nemesis got to watch for 20 minutes while the lone zergling pecked away at his remaining, defenseless buildings.

After the battle ended, I declared victory with the cry, "Look at my iron zerg!"

For the next few games, I changed my handle to Iron Zerg, and it stuck.

It's dumb, I know, but it beats any name with multiple X's or 420 in it.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Back in my CS days I was Official Bullet Sponge because I was terrible at the game. That handle was shortened to OBS to use as a clan suffix, which forced me to change to Combat Wombat. Unfortunately, that is a very popular name, so I had to come up with something else when I started playing other online games.

Eventually I settled on Evil Reaver for various online accounts. One of my buddies made a custom map in Starcraft and named the Ultralisk units Evil Reavers. I liked it, so I stole it. That was my first XBox Live account but I had to cancel it because I went abroad with no access to an Xbox and I didn't want to pay for something I wasn't using. Microsoft wouldn't let me reinstate the name when I came back so I had to come up with something else.
    I go by "Incredible Chicken". My strategy is to go awesome adjective and mundane object/creature. During TF2 and L4D, most people just use "Chicken" for short. Some pyros who kill me think it's very clever to refer to me as fried chicken.

And this is how I came up with Agitated Wombat. It's also how my friends came up with Bleak Logarithm.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I add "the" before my name when Evander is already taken to make sure that people know I am the genuine specific version

beyond that, my name is Evan, and "Evander" is my real life nickname. It is not that I am not creative, it is just that I am so awesome that no other name would be better.

Evander on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    DisruptorX was my starcraft battlenet name, way back in the day. I've moved most of my handles to my new one, "Truxardus", which is from the MST3k episode "Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell", but have kept Disruptor in use, even though the X is rather silly. The 2 comes from the great forum crash of '06, when the PA forums ate my old account and I had to make a brand new one. D:

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My forum name is my name. I don't have an Xbox or PS3, but on my steamid is digitalbeard, which is crazy, becuase it came up in a "randomly choose name" and I have a huge beard.

That said, I usually name myself Broccoli when playing online games. No idea why. I think I just like the way the name looks.

When playing CS way back in the day, I would often change my name to [DEAD]Broccoli just to see people yell that I was hacking when I killed them.

I think the best name I have seen online is Squint Eastwood. There have been times when I have thought of stealing the name for myself, but then realized I would not be able to live with myself if I did.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When people substitute numbers and symbols for letters, I enjoy saying their name as written.

It's fun to call Ub4hSn1p3rz, "Ub-four-hesn-one-p-three-erzz, why the shit are you playing a useless sniper on this map? We need more engineers!"

ironzerg on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Some people in middle school called me Sloppy Joe because, well, my name is Joe. So when it came time to get an AOL name, my dad set me up with "SlopyJoe19".

I know, he couldn't spell and I don't know where the 19 came from, I was 13 at the time.

Anyway, eventually something happened with AOL so we had to get new names, so he just switched it around to Joeslop and I've used it ever since.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Yorker wrote: »
    I really can't remember where i've got this from, i always used to go by my first or last name on forums but they were both taken.

I always assumed it your username was YEA!

Yorker Echo Alpha, Y E A?

edit: of course, this would actually work if Yorker was phonetic for Y and no Yankee. :P

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mine is from a doodle I did on a desk in highschool that goes something like take the hyper greenskinned elves with disturbing grins that Maggie watches in one or two Simpsons episodes, make the grin and eyes even more disturbing, throw in a little possessed semi from Maximum Overdrive, add a cigarette and santa hat and serve.

I generally try to refrain from judging people based on their names alone. However if your name is something like Thuggin Forlyfe (thank you Warhammer) and you act like a douche you usually don't get another chance. Giving you the benefit of the doubt was your second chance.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Kor wrote: »
    Yorker wrote: »

I always assumed it your username was YEA!

Yorker Echo Alpha, Y E A?

edit: of course, this would actually work if Yorker was phonetic for Y and no Yankee. :P

It was in the WWI British "Western Front Slang" alphabet, but that one has neither "Echo" or "Alpha", so it doesn't really work out.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    ShaquarShaquar Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mine doesn't have a meaning. I came up with it when I was discovering online gaming (Team Fortress Classic was just released, CS didn't even exist).

I have used it since then. My XBL Tag is DaShaquar because Shaquar was taken by my old XBox self and I didn't have the data to reclaim it.

There are some other Shaquars on the Internet but not too many. I get the name most of the time.

Shaquar on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    There was a sweet name I once saw called "Sharon Needles" whose I name I can swear they stole from an episode of Project Runway's drag day, on Tuftoo once. (Does that disclose my homosexuality, that I watched such a show.)

Personally, I like my Nickname a lot.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My name comes from high school, an email-based running joke where I created a James Bond style villain, Snofeld. Like Blofeld, only not. EDIT: Actually that's how I correct people who call me Snowfeld, or Snowfield. "No, Snofeld. Like Blofeld, but not."

Later he became a mad scientist, hence the Dr. And the name's stuck with me ever since. I've never tried googling it but I'd wager pretty much all the hits would be me, since the name's always been available wherever I've registered.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png