As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Suggest On] Gaming Mice

2»

• Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a Mx518. Yes the Mx518 is an excellent mouse. I've been considering that OCZ dominatrix right now just because its an inexpensive weighted mouse and I feel like I need a heavier mouse, but the mx518 is a safe bet.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't even know whats a good mouse. I'd like a better one because this one actually hurts my hand.

But I can't afford a super one.

Can anyone tell me what to look for in terms of "stats". I know about dpi now and hz but is there anything else I should know?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AgehnAgehn Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I don't even know whats a good mouse. I'd like a better one because this one actually hurts my hand.

But I can't afford a super one.

Can anyone tell me what to look for in terms of "stats". I know about dpi now and hz but is there anything else I should know?

Here's what you should know: save up forty bucks for a Logitech MX518. Apparently there's some dissent 'round these parts on whether it's the best gaming mouse out there, but it's damn good and very reliable. I'm a lazy bastard so I won't back up the following statement with anything like fact-checking, but any mouse that people are touting over the MX518 probably costs at least twice as much. Maybe. Anyway, I've had mine for two years now and I haven't had even the slightest desire to game with anything else. If I know there's going to be a spare box, all I'll bring to a LAN is my MX518. Or rather, that would be true if I didn't know that 80% of all spare rigs at LANs have 518s already.

EDIT: Okay so a large chunk of the Razer line seems to be only about ten bucks more than the 518, as does the optical version SteelSeries Ikari. I stand by the MX518 as my personal favorite mouse, however.

Agehn on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The MX518, as I said before, is decent.

It is not nearly as good as the Razer DeathAdder (approximately $50), which has a more comfortable form factor, glides more smoothly, has more easily-pressed side buttons, and looks much more awesome.

I've also had problems with Logitech's drivers for basically all of their products. Do not install SetPoint, it is a trap.

Just my two cents, but I've owned them both and used both extensively.

Edit:

51489insetdaanglelc8.jpg

You know you want one.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I picked up a Roccat Kone because I saw a review that sung it's praises highly. Do not make the same mistake, sure, the mouse is fantastic, but for one little problem; the mouse wheel is fragile as fuck.

Two weeks of normal use, and my wheel was broken. It no longer scrolls, so I'm going to have to send this back for a refund. Will probably get a Deathadder to replace it. It's such a pity too, if the wheel had been reliable, it would have been a great gaming mouse. I'm not the only one who this has happened to.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've also had problems with Logitech's drivers for basically all of their products. Do not install SetPoint, it is a trap.
    Same, but the MX518 is just a generic mouse without it that won't remember its dpi setting after restarts. So annoying.

Zell on
  • Options
    kpeezykpeezy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MX518 is the best mouse ever.

It's much better than the Razer DeathAdder. It is much more comfortable glides exactly the same as the DeathAdder, and the side buttons are perfectly easy to press and distinguish with your thumb. Also, it looks much better.

Generic mouse drivers work just fine.

I own the 518 and my brother has a DeathAdder.

So basically, it's all preference... unless you prefer something other than the MX518 in which case you suck.

kpeezy on
    me itt
    SSBB: 5370-1223-4258
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    When my default mouse of 5? years broke last spring i picked up a Logitech G9. It was leaps and bounds beyond my old mouse but still too heavy; I move my mice with my fingers, not my arm. In the end, it worked best removing it's surrounding grip and that gave me a lot more control.

I am on the lookout for a small, light gaming mouse; I can't seem to find one suited to my playstyle.

edit- reading more, it looks like I use a "claw grip"

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    MX518 is very light but I don't know if the size would suit you. You can probably try it out since most stores (Walmart, Target, Best Buy) carry it.

kpeezy on
    me itt
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    The MX518, as I said before, is decent.

It is not nearly as good as the Razer DeathAdder (approximately $50), which has a more comfortable form factor, glides more smoothly, has more easily-pressed side buttons, and looks much more awesome.

Just my two cents, but I've owned them both and used both extensively.

Edit:

You know you want one.
    kpeezy wrote: »
    MX518 is the best mouse ever.

It's much better than the Razer DeathAdder. It is much more comfortable glides exactly the same as the DeathAdder, and the side buttons are perfectly easy to press and distinguish with your thumb. Also, it looks much better.

Generic mouse drivers work just fine.

I own the 518 and my brother has a DeathAdder.

So basically, it's all preference... unless you prefer something other than the MX518 in which case you suck.

I am currently holding these two identical statements up and banging their heads together to see if I can work out exactly what is meant by them by the crunching sounds they make.

Would I be able to ask humbly for you to be more precise? What's your hand size each of you, what surface do you use, the little details and stuff, it would be really helpful. :)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The DeathAdder doesn't seem to be getting enough love, so I'll toss my hat in that corner.

edit: and not that I'm one of the fellows you asked, but I have big hands, and my 'mouse stance' is index and middle finger mouse 1/2, thumb on the side of the mouse, and pinky / ring finger on the other side (so I can just barely feel the mouse-pad surface.) I move the mouse with my thumb/pinky/ring, and pretty much don't move my wrist at all when I game.

edit2: both are really good mice, though I'm fairly certain the deathadder has the technical edge for whatever that's worth. Maybe just hit up a store and see which one feels better in your hand?

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well to help out I've been noticing the mmx400 hurts my wrist. I like to rest my arm and make fine movements with my fingers arching over the base of the mouse and the fingertips gripping just ahead of the middle of the mouse. Kind of like how you are supposed to type but a mouse.

Pretty much the same as your style although I don't think I have big hands. For example if I rest my whole hand on the mmx400 it fits snugly into the palm and curves over without much overlap. I just hate using it that way.

So I don't really use the mmx400's whole hand grip.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I use my mouse on a cloth Xtrac Ripper XL mat. I'm somewhere in between a "back of palm" and "fingertips" guy--I mostly control the mouse with my finger tips, but I do rest the base of my fingers on the middle of the mouse like you were talking about, and a bit of my palm as well, on the back. My arm rests on an armrest.

I'm just not sure how one could think the MX518 was as smooth at gliding, though. I tried both on a variety of surfaces and the DeathAdder won every time. It's obvious why, if you look at the bottom of the mouse: The DeathAdder has more teflon.

I will say this: The 518 is a solid mouse. I liked it, and I was sad when I accidentally smashed its USB plug in the car door coming home from a LAN party. (Which is why I bought the DeathAdder in the first place.) I just think the DeathAdder is better still.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I grip the mouse with no pinky, ring finger on the side of the mouse. My palm lightly touches the mouse but it's not used for movement in any way. When I'm idle, my wrist rests a little bit on the mousepad but when I'm actually moving, it's all fingers.

Anyways, I just never liked any of the Razer mice although the DeathAdder seems to be more to my taste than the rest. Also, the DeathAdder doesn't seem to have enough buttons for my taste. The MX518 has dedicated buttons for switching DPI and I use the side buttons for other bindings. If I used my standard bindings, I think the mouse would lose the ability to change DPI in game.

They're both fine but it's all preference. Granted, the MX518 has 3 extra buttons you can use but beyond that, they're very similar except for form. I say just get the one you think will fit your hand the best. Go to a store and compare the MX5XX series mice with a Microsoft Intellimouse (pretty much the same mouse as the DeathAdder in shape).

kpeezy on
    me itt
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Or just go to Best Buy, where some have both the MX518(And the nearly identical form factor G5) and DeathAdder on display.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Or just go to Best Buy, where some have both the MX518(And the nearly identical form factor G5) and DeathAdder on display.

All the best buys I have been to have not have Razer products for display.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Deathadder is much better if you like using a fingertip grip. The MX518 and G5 are better if you rest your palms on the mouse. That is all.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So my Ikari Laser came today, and it is sexcellent. Fits my hand god damned perfectly, and while I am still getting used to the switch from 400 DPI to 3200 and trying to get my settings in games right, the feel of it is phenomenal. The shape, texture, weight, button layout, button stiffness, its all fucking awesome.

This is coming from someone who palms their mouse, pointer and middle on Mouse 1 and 2, ring and pinky on the side. The shape of it was designed specifically for such and is intelligently grooved for every finger. For those that like to rest their middle finger on the scroll wheel and ring finger on Mouse 2, its not quite wide enough for that to work as well. I guess some people do that? I don't know. And I'm not entirely sure what a 'Claw Grip' is that some people mention, so no comments there.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a MX400 right now, i assume it's about the same as a MX518.

I'll be getting a G9x (No, i don't really need those 5000 DPI.) when i pick up my G19 keyboard, hope we won't have to wait too long for those to hit stores.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The MX400 is a pretty good mouse, but the MX518 has about 4x the polling rate (that is, 500 hz compared to 125 hz) and on-the-fly DPI switching.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My SteelSeries Ikari arrived today too, and it is indeed more awesome than Logitech's mice. Then again, I recommend their keyboard too, so you might not want to listen to everything I say.

Zell on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fuck, i managed to spill some water on my MX400, now it's not working.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yorker wrote: »

http://www.sadtrombone.com/

Also Razer released a nifty new mouse... for $130....

But get this shit. It can be both a wireless and a wired mouse, depending on how you connect it and supposibly it has a real nice and long battery life. It is even better then the lachesis and has higher dpi but going above 4,000 really is getting to be overkill. I think I say 5600DPI mentioned somewhere which is almost absurd.

http://www2.razerzone.com/mamba/keyfeatures.html

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'll be replacing it with one of these.

When they hit stores, i found a cordless mouse of some kind i didn't even know i had to use in the meantime, i can't find it on the logitech webside, but it's got this nifty touch-sensitive thing instead of a real scroll wheel and it's reeaally tiny.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009

But get this shit. It can be both a wireless and a wired mouse, depending on how you connect it and supposibly it has a real nice and long battery life. It is even better then the lachesis and has higher dpi but going above 4,000 really is getting to be overkill. I think I say 5600DPI mentioned somewhere which is almost absurd.

Fuck, that looks awesome. $130, though...

It looks almost identical to the DeathAdder, ergonomically, just a bit sexier looking and with a couple more buttons.

I'm not sure about their button placement, though. I suppose I could reach the new buttons with my thumb or index finger, but it's a bit of a stretch for both.

Wired + wireless in one is a really great idea, assuming it's implemented right. If the wireless works as well as they're advertising, you could just leave it unplugged except when your charge starts running low. (I guess that's the purpose, like charge and play on the Microsoft controllers).

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Looks nice. But its a bit pricey. Still, I like that its not ambidextrous design, so it already looks better than some of their previous models.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I actually do NOT like how it doesn't have anything on the right side of the mouse. From the pictures, it seems like there are no buttons or anything, which is a shame because I do use mouse binds, and use all of them. Or most of them anyways.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It's the same as the DeathAdder, meaning there are no buttons on the right side. It appears there are four on the left, in addition to the normal 2 + wheel, though. Do you use more than 7 buttons?

OremLK on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    It's the same as the DeathAdder, meaning there are no buttons on the right side. It appears there are four on the left, in addition to the normal 2 + wheel, though. Do you use more than 7 buttons?

More than 7 buttons, no. My mouse only has 7... But I use all of them. >_>;

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    just gotta throw my logitech G7 in here. Basically a MX518 or G5, just without the wires. Fantastic mouse. comes with 2 hot-swappable batteries. Cannot tell the difference in performance when compared to wired mice.

Too bad it's pretty hard to find now. I can't imagine mousing on anything else.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I actually do NOT like how it doesn't have anything on the right side of the mouse. From the pictures, it seems like there are no buttons or anything, which is a shame because I do use mouse binds, and use all of them. Or most of them anyways.

Well, I'll agree that it would have been better with buttons on the right side, but not symmetrically. Thats really my issue with the Lachesis, what may be a decent position for thumb buttons, is a horrible position for using ring or pinky fingers. Hands are not symmetrical, mice should not be either.

However, the two additional left side buttons on the Mamba, are probably too far forward for the thumb, and pressed with the pointer, so I'm not sure they are in a good position without actually using it. But from just judging by the pictures, I think it looks better than the Lachesis(And certainly has a better name).

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    BirudojinBirudojin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Has anyone used a Logitech MX610? It's one of the very few mice out there claiming to be both ergonomic and useable in the left hand, with the alternatives generally being fairly strangely shaped or interface devices other than mice per se. I'm using an MS intellimouse at the moment, which works, but it's not ideal.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/168&cl=ca,en

Birudojin on