Options

old fallout thread; please disregard and post in the new one

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    Planescape did not involve everyone using their voices.

@Darkwarrior: So, if the player's trying to figure out, let's say, trying to zoom in with his rifle to see a detail, and accidently shoots a citizen, he should be permanently and irrevocably punished for it?

I can honestly say I've never accidentally shot anyone, you perhaps need a different mouse. That said, the people in Fallout 3 seem overly protective of each other, thats aflaw in the game design because capping someone in Megaton unless its someone of importance should only turn their particularly close allies against you, not an entire town and if you're at a certain level, people should be afraid of delaing with you.

But yes, if you go around killing lots of people, you shouldn'tbe able to go back and chill out.

@Operative
    I'm not going counting but I'd put the number of unique NPCs in Bloodlines against the number of unique, meaningful NPCs (They do more than have a name) in Fallout 3 any day. Any NPC in Bloodlines is about 5 Fallout 3 NPCs.

And I'd also take text with some voice over full voice with fuck all dialogue.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What I want to see an RPG do is rip off the sims communication system.

There's very little scripted dialogue.. just a set of topics and reactions, and npcs communicate things with this system. If you kept it simple enough you could even have news "spread" because it would be easy enough to track what each NPC has heard about. You stab a dude in the back and it gets witnessed, you have a couple minutes to escape before the news reaches local law enforcement and the chase is on.

I imagine a lot of "hardcore" RPG players would hate it, but I think as a social experiment it would be fascinating.

xzzy on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Comparing Bloodlines and Fallout 3 is apples to oranges. They're both RPGs sure, but they're very different kinds of RPGs with very different design goals. Bloodlines is very linear and limits what you can and can't do significantly.

In Fallout as soon as you exit the vault you can go just about anywhere and kill just about anyone. If you can't understand how this would make writing ultra convincing dialogue and getting super excellent voice performances for every character/situation you don't want to understand. You just want to bitch.

Drool on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    How do you accidentally shoot someone anyway.

Well... There was that time I was sneaking through a subway station when a door opened and a ghoul steps out. I instantly thought "He has a gun!", hit VATS, and removed his head with one shot. His body collapsed in the doorway and the head flew back into the room he came from and landed on a desk in front of another ghoul, who I killed with another shotgun blast.

Looting their little office, it hit me that these ghouls hadn't actually done anything. For all I know, the first one just stepped out for a smoke. It really did look like I had wasted two potentially friendly characters.

Still, no one saw it happen and I say they were dead when I found them. Yep, poor sods.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    You can skip GNR and people will talk to you like you went to GNR and thats part of the main fucking quest.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I, personally, am happy just reading text and I don't need voice actors for everything.

I wish games would be designed with me in mind.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Good thing Bethesda gave us the geck. Go make a quest designed just for you.

Drool on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Roshin wrote: »

Well... There was that time I was sneaking through a subway station when a door opened and a ghoul steps out. I instantly thought "He has a gun!", hit VATS, and removed his head with one shot. His body collapsed in the doorway and the head flew back into the room he came from and landed on a desk in front of another ghoul, who I killed with another shotgun blast.

Looting their little office, it hit me that these ghouls hadn't actually done anything. For all I know, the first one just stepped out for a smoke. It really did look like I had wasted two potentially friendly characters.

Still, no one saw it happen and I say they were dead when I found them. Yep, poor sods.

lol. i did that with the family

had a sniper rifle out, and ran into the outer guard and took his head clean off with the first shot. he was a silhouette, so i thought he was a ghoul (i was underground, after all) so the rest of the family lit me right up when i got to their main room

that was a tough fight, since i was low level and lance took forever to kill

afterwards i realized i probably could have just talked to them, since they all had names

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Drool wrote: »
    Good thing Bethesda gave us the geck. Go make a quest designed just for you.

I couldn't even make a Duke Nukem level in Build, much less play around with whatever space age nonsense we got going for game making these days.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Comparing Bloodlines and Fallout 3 is apples to oranges. They're both RPGs sure, but they're very different kinds of RPGs with very different design goals. Bloodlines is very linear and limits what you can and can't do significantly.

In Fallout as soon as you exit the vault you can go just about anywhere and kill just about anyone. If you can't understand how this would make writing ultra convincing dialogue and getting super excellent voice performances for every character/situation you don't want to understand. You just want to bitch.

Fallout 2 does it pretty well. Hell, in Bloodlines, you can kill quite a few quest givers if you really feel like it.

Though, Bloodlines is indeed a linear RPG. Like Mass Effect. It just does dialogue so well that the linearity is an asset rather than a downside.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm not going counting but I'd put the number of unique NPCs in Bloodlines against the number of unique, meaningful NPCs (They do more than have a name) in Fallout 3 any day. Any NPC in Bloodlines is about 5 Fallout 3 NPCs.

And I'd also take text with some voice over full voice with fuck all dialogue.

Fair enough, but in terms of work, each one of those generic NPC's in Fallout IS unique. Each one has to be defined in terms of behaviour (ie. What time they eat, when they sleep, when and where they move, and their reaction to aggression by the PC) even if they don't say anything useful. That's alot more work than what's involved with Bloodlines NPC's.

I'm not saying you have to like Fallout's NPC's, when it comes down to it they're glorified set pieces really, and they don't really serve much of a purpose other than filling space and providing homes for various types of moving ammunition. But it IS unfair to accuse Bethesda of being lazy in comparison to Troika, because Bethesda had a significantly bigger job to complete.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Someday someone will make an RPG that combines all the virtues of Torment, BG2, Arcanum, FO1-3, VTM:B, ME and the ES1-4 games.

And that game will be a buggy, incomplete mess, but glorious to behold.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I fail to see how. Its a bigger map but considering its mostly just a void filled with random encounters, it doesn't make it particularly special. And these themselves are largely just zones as can be seen in Rivet City most obviously, its just concealed with streaming. Its easiest to show because the areas have different level scales.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Its a bigger map

A little off the topic, but it's funny how much smaller Fallout 3 got when I upgraded my PC last week. I was forced to run on pretty limited settings prior, and now that I can put everything at maximum it's really surprised me how much of the wasteland can see the Washington monument.

Standing on the balcony at Tenpenny tower, I can see the monument. I don't expect a 1:1 mapping between the real world and the game, it just surprised me that something that felt so big early on is maybe a couple miles square.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In the real world you can see the Monument from 20+ miles away. Or you could, if not for all the pollution. Its a big, visible thing- which is the point. :P

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    Its a bigger map

A little off the topic, but it's funny how much smaller Fallout 3 got when I upgraded my PC last week. I was forced to run on pretty limited settings prior, and now that I can put everything at maximum it's really surprised me how much of the wasteland can see the Washington monument.

Standing on the balcony at Tenpenny tower, I can see the monument. I don't expect a 1:1 mapping between the real world and the game, it just surprised me that something that felt so big early on is maybe a couple miles square.

But it is packed with locations. And yet still manages to feel like a vast wasteland when you're just wandering around. It's very well-made.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

That was probably Murphy and his bodyguard:
    You can take him Sugar Bombs for like 30 caps, and later buy some UltraJet he makes with it (which gives 40AP

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

That was probably Murphy and his bodyguard:
    You can take him Sugar Bombs for like 30 caps, and later buy some UltraJet he makes with it (which gives 40AP
    They also tell you about where to find the Family (go through the tunnel in the back of their little place).

Something similar happened to me in the Taft Escape Tunnels:
    Used to firing at anything wearing power armor, when I stepped through the door where the Brotherhood guard is, I immediately opened fire on him. Thankfully, he didn't go agro on me or the scientists, and helped fight off the remaining ghouls.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Fallout 2 does it pretty well. Hell, in Bloodlines, you can kill quite a few quest givers if you really feel like it.

Though, Bloodlines is indeed a linear RPG. Like Mass Effect. It just does dialogue so well that the linearity is an asset rather than a downside.

I think half naked Malk's are more an attractor to Bloodlines than the dialogue is.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »
    xzzy wrote: »
    Behemoth wrote: »
    In this one, it basically turns into magical hypnotism powers. It gives you the ability to tell people to do things simply because you're the one telling them to. And there's always a chance it won't work.

I like the one at the last scene in the game.

"I'm totally gonna kill you."

"How about you don't kill me and walk away."

"Oh ok, see you."

The one in Raven Rock was the worst.
    "Hey Eden, you're evil. Computers shouldn't be the President. You should kill yourself."

"Oh my, you're right. Very well then, goodbye cruel world!"

So stupid. It was damn hard to convince the Master to commit suicide in the original. You had to go and do a whole extra quest to get information to prove that his plans would never work. Here you just waltz in and say "Hey, stop it" and he does.

This can mean only one thing.
    The Vault Dweller is a fucking Jedi Master.

or he's the cool frog
    cc-stalingrody.gif

Nuzak on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man when I tried Bloodlines it was glitchy as hell and I got disappointed and dropped it. It seems I should have kept at it.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think that there isn't a single game that would stand if we started picking if off like this. All games are full of logic holes and leaps.
    Most RPGs aren't that deep, anyway. Most JRPGs doesn't even have dialogue options. If you want meaningful dialogue, let's all go play PLanescape Torment, best written game ever.

But yeah, the Raven Rock thing is especially stupid, I agree.

Indeed, not even Fallout 2 holds up to the unreachable standards of some.

I don't see why
    Eden's heel turn
    is that unbearable if you talk him into it. He has the personality of the
    biggest idiot President in history, Richardson from Fallout 2.
    in his make up. It shouldn't be any wonder that he didn't really put that much thought into his master plan, or what he was doing or why.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I think half naked Malk's are more an attractor to Bloodlines than the dialogue is.

I'm not really into the dead. Not my sort of thing.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009

I'm not really into the dead. Not my sort of thing.

Undead Friend, Undead. :winky:

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Basically I think because FO3s 3D world is so well realized and designed people expect fewer 'suspension of disbelief' moments.

Go back and play the old sandbox games. Incongruous shit happens all the time

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Basically I think because FO3s 3D world is so well realized and designed people expect fewer 'suspension of disbelief' moments.

There isn't any problems with suspension of disbelief until the ubelievably stupid ending. Its just that no, the game world doesn't make any sense, even compared to Fallout 1 and 2.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009

There isn't any problems with suspension of disbelief until the ubelievably stupid ending. Its just that no, the game world doesn't make any sense, even compared to Fallout 1 and 2.

Fallout 1 and 2 didn't make any sense either.

Repeat after me folks: The game world is an abstraction. All CRPG game worlds are abstractions.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What are the stats on Rose-Colored Glasses, again?

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    ironzerg wrote: »

+5 Nostalgia
    -10 Perception of Reality

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ironzerg wrote: »

+5 Nostalgia
    -10 Perception of Reality

+20 NERDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Unless sex = Elton John

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Repeat after me folks: The game world is an abstraction. All CRPG game worlds are abstractions.

You not following the conversation? I already pointed out what I'm talking about earlier in the thread. What with the towns in Fallout having food sources, being built up to a realistic degree, and having a societies.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    God damn do I hate you sometimes disruptor.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

You not following the conversation? I already pointed out what I'm talking about earlier in the thread. What with the towns in Fallout having food sources, being built up to a realistic degree, and having a societies.

So they tossed a few farms in here and there...?

Fallout 1-2 make no more sense as settings than Fallout 3 does.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

So they tossed a few farms in here and there...?

Fallout 1-2 make no more sense as settings than Fallout 3 does.

god and I thought I over thought things to much.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That is pretty much the worst arguement for Fallout 3 being set in a poorly realized world.

And the food sources in FO3 are explained. Everyone eats left over packaged food or grilled monster bits.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    That is pretty much the worst arguement for Fallout 3 being set in a poorly realized world.

And the food sources in FO3 are explained. Everyone eats left over packaged food or grilled monster bits.

Good thing that no one's touched those packaged foods for 200 years.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I'm reading through my FO3 book that came with the Collector's Edition, where they talk about game design. I'm trying to find the paragraph were Bethesda talks about how they were more interested in creating a true, post nuclear war simulation, then a unique and interesting world based off a quirky altered history.

I can't seem to find that part.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

It was packaged food OF THE FUTURE!

If you can accept power armor and sentient computers and robots with vacuum tubes, this is really a nitpicky thing to complain about.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I mean you probably didn't complain in the good ole days how NPCs never seemed to get tired of working in their little supplies shop all day and night

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So, I just killed Tenpenny for the hell of it. Is this going to screw over any future quest? I know he's kind of involved in one, but will that quest adjust for the fact that he's dead already?

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg